Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    PF is fine for all of $10 as a general fitness facility. it's not so great if you are really wanting to lift...i've never been to a PF that has allowed basic, traditional lifts like dead lifts, cleans, etc...nor have i seen one with the adequate equipment even if they did allow it. the one I visited back when I was getting started didn't even have a squat rack.

it really depends on what you're wanting to get out of it though...the only reason i go to a gym is for the weight room so PF would be a non-starter for me. I also do Oly lifting, so there are a significant number of commercial gyms that I wouldn't be allowed to work in, not just PF
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nicolen160 wrote: »
    I want something differnt then what I have at home and I want to meet others that like to work out, my family has not jumped on the working out ban wagon like I had hoped and I am thinking after 2 years they're not going to...lol But I love it and want desparately to find others who like it too. I also want to use other equipment then what I have at my house and also get into strength training but need guidance since I have never done it before. I don't want to go to a gym where everyone is trying to be "the world's strongest man" and little ole me is just trying to get toned and lose 30lbs. After 2 years I really just wanted something new and different, thanks for all the info, I appreciate the good and the bad.

is PF the only gym in your town?

to the bolded part, why do you think that everyone at every gym is trying to be the worlds strongest man? Don't you think that the reason for lifting weights and training should be to make yourself stronger? I go to a gym that is not a PF and there are all types in the free weight area from 60 year old woman to 30 year old guys my age…I fail to understand the mentality that says regular gym bad because people like to lift heavy things, but PF good because it limits said lifting….

Absolutely correct. This is, in fact, one reason why PF gets so much flak from fitness professionals and highly motivated gym goers. PF wants people to believe that other gyms are for hypermuscled meatheads, when in reality, the vast majority of them attract people of all shapes are sizes.

Therein lies the problem. PF defenders say that Planet Fitness helps people with their insecurities. In reality though, this company actively fosters those insecurities.

totally agree ...

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    oh dear, let the flaming start.....

PF is great, unless the "I pick stuff up, and put stuff down" commercial offends you. (and all the others)
    I know a police officer who works out there because it's open 24/7. He rolls his eyes and says that their rules are insanely stupid, but he also needs something that fits his schedule. I can't fault him for that.

My son tended bar and would go after work about 2 in the morning. The attendant at his location didn't care what he did at that time.

My husband belongs for the hours too. We don't have any other late night option around here. He does the best he can with what they have.

(It's funny, we are polar opposites, I am a very early morning exerciser, and he's a very late night one.)

To the OP, PF gets a lot of hate, but it's decent enough if you just want access to cardio machines and don't have lofty strength training goals. Machine work isn't the epitome of resistance training, but it's better than nothing. It's a decent enough cheap and often convenient option for beginners to gyms.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. It suits my needs because I want to do cardio indoors, need a gym that fits my schedule and really, I have a lot of things I'd rather do with the money I'm saving by only paying $10 a month (and it's a mile from my house).

As far as the pizza thing, I know that they say they have pizza there but I've never actually seen any food there except for tootsie rolls. I'm thankful for the tootsie rolls. As a diabetic it's nice to know that there is something readily available should my sugar fall too low.

Yeah, the people aren't the best with wiping down the machines, but for only $10 a month I can manage to quickly wipe off my own machine before I workout. I'm a mom who works in an elementary school. I'm used to wiping things down to prevent spreading germs--a lot. When I'm there at night I always see the guys who come in to vacuum and clean the floors and almost every time I'm there a PF staff member comes around to wipe down machines and refill the paper towels and cleaning solution. It must be something they have to do on a schedule.

As far as lifting, I'm not super interested in doing anything other than the weight machines. Our PF is two floors and the weight room is divided from everything else. I see people doing interesting stuff in there but it doesn't interest me yet. If it does and I decide I want to pursue that then I might have to find a different gym.

I think PF fills a niche. I don't want to spend a lot of money on working out. I got a membership because at $10 a month I can use anything I want without having to store equipment in my home or maintain equipment at my own cost.

So it is what it is. If it fits your needs, go for it. If it doesn't, then maybe look elsewhere.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've been going to planet fittness for 5 months now and I must say that place changed my life. Almost all the negative comments I read here have to be from people who don't go to planet fitness. Our free weights go to 75 pounds, not that I am anywhere near using them. Training is always free and they will teach you how to use all of the equipment and routines to do for each muscle group.
    We have a stretching room with free weights, balance balls, ab rollers, bosu and more. The 360room is so great for kettle bells and medicine balls and this huge contraption to climb and jump on. There is a 12 min ab room that I don't use much but my husband likes. And a 30 min workout room based on The Biggest Loser. That is kind of a curves thing. In the middle are all the cardio machines. I have left puddles under the arc trainer. There is also a weights section there, all the machines and free weights and the thing I do weighted squats with (not sure the name).
    We have many heavy lifters if that's your thing. Everyone is super nice. The machines do need to be cleaned before and after use. You can't rely on other people's hygenic habits.
    In 5 months I have only seen food once. The food area is pretty far from the gym area and I didn't even know it was there until we were leaving. There is no dress code. No lunk alarm.
    Best part of all is watching the dedicated people change. Love my planet fitness and I will owe them for the rest of my life.
  • djc0821
    djc0821 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had memberships at several different gyms over the years. Currently I work out at PF because it is close to where I work. I use the treadmill, elliptical, bike, do the 30-minute workout, use many of the weight machines. I have never noticed anything missing that I would need. They have a nice area for stretching, and the staff is knowledgeable if you have questions.

For the $19.99 membership, I can also use hydro-beds, tanning beds, and take classes.

There are always people lifting weights, and they look like heavy ones, although I'm not really into free weights so don't know much about it.

Give it a try, and if you don't like it, you can always cancel your membership and go somewhere else.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am of the mindset that anything that gets people up and moving is a good thing. If this is what will motivate you to do something for your health then ignore the haters and go for it. I know several people who have memberships at our YMCA and PF. They like both places and can do different things at each facility. I agree with those who are saying that you should get a tour and talk to a trainer to learn how to use the machines.

While I haven't been in our local PF, I was in one where they didn't have weights heavy enough for me and they did have restrictions on the types of lifts you were able to do. Because of this I haven't checked out my local PF because it doesn't fit my personal goals. There may come a point where you need to reevaluate your membership their due to changing goals, there may not. Either way do what fits best in your life!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness markets to people who don't normally go to the gym because, well, they don't normally go to the gym. Their business model is based on sheer volume of memberships, banking on the idea that you'll continue to pay $10 a month but rarely go.

Keep going and you win.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I think PF fills a niche.
    In a sense, it very much does. Just like Curves.

The hate that PF gets isn't simply because they're a low-end gym. Rather, it's because of their policies, misinformation, and unethical tactics. If they simply marketed themselves as a low-end, no frills place to work out, they'd get a lot less flak from serious fitness enthusiasts.
  • rebeccajenkins88
    Options
    I love PF I've been a member for two years on and off contingent on my consistency with working out I haven't had a membership with anyone else so I wouldn't know the difference i use the treadmill various tricep and bicep machines leg machines the abdominal bench and the 45Ib bar to squat I go to two locations in Miami and have no problem they have everything I need to what I feel get a good hour work out in so I guess it's just what you feel you need I wanted to tone and lose 20Ibs and PF made it very possible so yeaaaaaa PF ☺️
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I just joined last week and I love it. They have tons of cardio equipment so there's no waiting or time limits for using anything. The strength training area is a good size and I think perfectly suitable for the majority of users. The facility is very clean, well maintained, and the locker room/showers are always clean too. They also have circuit training that's designed for quick 30min workouts if you're pressed for time.

They have signs about pizza/bagels one night a month. Maybe it's a little odd, but really....who cares? They're giving away something for nothing. If you don't want it then don't take it. People also balk about the tootsie rolls on the counter which from what I've heard are really for anyone who may experience a drop in blood sugar. Again, if you don't want it no one is twisting your arm, right?

I got my membership for $99 for an entire year. I can deal with pizza aroma for that price. You can't beat that with a stick.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I will just leave this here as someone had put it on my wall and I found it to be an interesting read...https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare
    I just read this whole thing and it is at least half lies..

As for nutritional information that is true, none is offered. They do point the way across the hall to Weight Watchers.

My PF is full of beautiful in shape people that I aspire to be like.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I will just leave this here as someone had put it on my wall and I found it to be an interesting read...https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/planet-fitness-nightmare
    I just read this whole thing and it is at least half lies..

As for nutritional information that is true, none is offered. They do point the way across the hall to Weight Watchers.

My PF is full of beautiful in shape people that I aspire to be like.

what specifically do they lie about?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    nicolen160 wrote: »
    I want something differnt then what I have at home and I want to meet others that like to work out, my family has not jumped on the working out ban wagon like I had hoped and I am thinking after 2 years they're not going to...lol But I love it and want desparately to find others who like it too. I also want to use other equipment then what I have at my house and also get into strength training but need guidance since I have never done it before. I don't want to go to a gym where everyone is trying to be "the world's strongest man" and little ole me is just trying to get toned and lose 30lbs. After 2 years I really just wanted something new and different, thanks for all the info, I appreciate the good and the bad.

I have belonged to gyms my entire life ...a long time...my best workouts are done in a professional gym environment. Dont let people put you off you are going to love the gym and all it has to offer. Planet fitness is a great place..you will enjoy your new challenges.

• nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been going to planet fittness for 5 months now and I must say that place changed my life. Almost all the negative comments I read here have to be from people who don't go to planet fitness. Our free weights go to 75 pounds, not that I am anywhere near using them. Training is always free and they will teach you how to use all of the equipment and routines to do for each muscle group.
    We have a stretching room with free weights, balance balls, ab rollers, bosu and more. The 360room is so great for kettle bells and medicine balls and this huge contraption to climb and jump on. There is a 12 min ab room that I don't use much but my husband likes. And a 30 min workout room based on The Biggest Loser. That is kind of a curves thing. In the middle are all the cardio machines. I have left puddles under the arc trainer. There is also a weights section there, all the machines and free weights and the thing I do weighted squats with (not sure the name).
    We have many heavy lifters if that's your thing. Everyone is super nice. The machines do need to be cleaned before and after use. You can't rely on other people's hygenic habits.
    In 5 months I have only seen food once. The food area is pretty far from the gym area and I didn't even know it was there until we were leaving. There is no dress code. No lunk alarm.
    Best part of all is watching the dedicated people change. Love my planet fitness and I will owe them for the rest of my life.

thanks for your comment, this what I am hoping for!! And after all, I can always go back to working out at home if I hate it. Looking foward to it all!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

They don't offer nutritional advice, and I don't believe any gym should offer nutritional advice unless they are actual nutritionists.

The biggest lie that I hear on these threads is that people who go to PF are out of shape, and discouraged from being in shape.

That's total bu*&##t! My PF has a lot of in-shape people, and yes, people trying to get there.
    PF is basically a no-frills gym. (It's $10 a month) There are no classes.
    You get what you put into it, and a lot of people get in great shape going there. (me included).

RE: pizza. I've never seen the pizza/bagels there. They serve it one night a week?/month? for a few hours.
    Seriously, if the possibility sabotages your weight loss efforts, you have bigger problems. Go to another gym, but don't trash a $10/month gym that suits many people just fine.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Almost all the negative comments I read here have to be from people who don't go to planet fitness.
    Naturally. Why should that be an issue? These people don't go to Planet Fitness precisely BECAUSE they see the problems with this.

Consider the implications of such reasoning. Planet Fitness routinely says that other gyms are filled with meatheads, vain women, and other despicable people. That is the clear message conveyed in their advertising. Should their executives be forced to join these other gyms in order for their opinions to be valid?

That's a common theme here, unfortunately. "You don't belong to Planet Fitness! How would you know?" Well first of all, their advertising and policies speak for themselves. And second, many of the critics -- myself included -- are people who have have experience with PF or who used to be members. Obviously, one need not be an active member of an organization in order to understand the problems within.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options

They don't offer nutritional advice, and I don't believe any gym should offer nutritional advice unless they are actual nutritionists.

The biggest lie that I hear on these threads is that people who go to PF are out of shape, and discouraged from being in shape.

That's total bu*&##t! My PF has a lot of in-shape people, and yes, people trying to get there.
    You get what you put into it, and a lot of people get in great shape going there. (me included).

RE: pizza. I've never seen the pizza/bagels there. They serve it one night a week?/month? for a few hours.
    Seriously, if the possibility sabotages your weight loss efforts, you have bigger problems. Go to another gym, but don't trash a $10/month gym that suits many people just fine.

This.

My local PF has a free weights area, it also has an area for stretching. I don't know how heavy the heaviest weights are but they look heavy enough. It has a squat rack. I've heard people grunting from effort of lifting weights so they must be pretty heavy. I've also seen a lot of very fit people there of all ages. I've never heard the "lunk alarm" go off. They have pizza and bagels but I've never been there at those times and it's not like anybody is going to force you to eat them. I guess all this varies from location to location but the people who work at my PF seem pretty relaxed about the crazier rules. You can't beat the price they charge. I can't speak for every PF location but the one I go to is pretty good.

• ndj1979
    Options

I believe the article is pointing out that if they are going to offer free pizza, bagels, and candy that they should at least post the nutritional information contained in said foods, so that people realize how many extra calories they are consuming. Other gyms don't post nutritional information because they don't give out free pizza, bagels, etc.

There are thousands of PF's all over the country, just because your PF does not do it does not mean that it is not happening. The author points out that he toured 33 PF's for the article.

I would never go to a PF because I like to squat and deadlift with free weights, and I have no desire to utilize a smith machine for those movements.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i went there. And then I went there sparingly. Then I moved and didn't go at all. What you're going to get is a lot of cardio but that's about it. It's not intimate. People don't really engage you in conversation unless you happen to look on the missed connections section on Craigslist. When I moved I joined anytime fitness. More pricey, definitely more weights-centric... but the workers greet me by name. Those intimidating weightlifting folk give me pointers in my fledgling attempts at starting a routine. I've felt more included there than in a year's time at PF. Still, the cardio game is strong I guess....