Different names for foods - UK/US

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Lucozade = Gatorade

Isn't Gatorade different? I'm sure when I went to the us it was blue? Lucozade is orange.

It depends what colourings/flavour. I've had blackcurrant Lucozade and I think there's a pink one now too. I believe both Lucozade and Gatorade are sold as glucose or sports drinks though.

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Lucozade = Gatorade

Isn't Gatorade different? I'm sure when I went to the us it was blue? Lucozade is orange.

Yes Lucozade is always orange and tastes like medicine, its is pretty awful.
    Gatorade comes in a range of flavours, some nice, some not so great.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Lucozade = Gatorade

Yes Lucozade is always orange and tastes like medicine, its is pretty awful.
    Gatorade comes in a range of flavours, some nice, some not so great.

It really isn't always orange. These are some links to some of the current range:

https://www.lucozadesport.com/products/lucozade-sport/3/
    https://www.lucozadesport.com/products/lucozade/sports/lite/7/
    https://www.lucozadesport.com/products/lucozade-energy/148/

A link to their previous, limited edition range (which included blackcurrant):

http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/news/lucozade-rolls-out-limited-edition-tinie-tempah-bottle-09-09-2011

The comparison wasn't about the colour of it though...

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Lucozade = Gatorade

It depends what colourings/flavour. I've had blackcurrant Lucozade and I think there's a pink one now too. I believe both Lucozade and Gatorade are sold as glucose or sports drinks though.

I haven't had lucozade for years. My dad used to buy it when we were ill. I can't stand it.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Regional issue in the UK - a scone is a lovely bakery item (a sort of bread?) either sweet or savoury (I love cheese scones and herb scones) and l really like them with strawberries and cream. This is not contentious except in pronunciation, (rhymed with stone or with gone?).

In Yorkshire a scone can also mean what in other areas is called a cake or a scallop; it is two slices of old potato with mashed fish and seasoning sandwiched together and then fried in batter. They are very popular 'fish and chip shop' fare, and often served in a 'teacake'. So you go into a chip shop and order a 'scone in a teacake' - which creased me up the first time I heard it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Succumbing to temptation to post this. Warning to you sensitive types: some tasteless language!
    qtw212g8zbjl.jpg
    b-but I wanted to post that...

edit: Also what kind of humorless grump would flag your post for abuse? Oh right, 'murica. We're offended by a gentle breeze on a summer day...

edit 2: didn't check the thread but I didn't see this one on the first page
    Popsicle = ice lolly

Are you sure it was an American that flagged it? I'm pretty sure we came out better than the UK on that one :wink:
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Its probabyl becasue of the forcey fun time bit
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Any US "translation" for spotted dick?

I don't think we really have those kinds of suet puddings.

Could be wrong, though.

I haven't seen anything that's exactly like spotted dick, but in Pennsylvania Dutch country they used to make mincemeat puddings and mincemeat pies that were similar. Usually with rendered fat from the leftover bits of pork and beef (as opposed to either proper suet or lard).
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What's a figgy pudding?
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sriracha = sweet chilli sauce?

Oh! I work in a restaurant in Canada and we have sweet chili sauce, but people ask for sriracha ..... Maybe I've just been under a rock! Lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a specific type of chili sauce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    caddir wrote: »
    Regional issue in the UK - a scone is a lovely bakery item (a sort of bread?) either sweet or savoury (I love cheese scones and herb scones) and l really like them with strawberries and cream. This is not contentious except in pronunciation, (rhymed with stone or with gone?).

In Yorkshire a scone can also mean what in other areas is called a cake or a scallop; it is two slices of old potato with mashed fish and seasoning sandwiched together and then fried in batter. They are very popular 'fish and chip shop' fare, and often served in a 'teacake'. So you go into a chip shop and order a 'scone in a teacake' - which creased me up the first time I heard it.

Think I've also been living under a rock lol. I grew up in Yorkshire (in York), and I've never heard if the potato/mashed fish thing being called a scone.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm from Yorkshire and never in my entire life have I heard the scallop 'scone'. Nor has my family, or google?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm from across the Pennines, but my wife and her family are Yorkshire born and bred and they haven't heard of the above either.
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

In the US, Paracetamol=Acetaminophen
  • caddir
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm from across the Pennines, but my wife and her family are Yorkshire born and bred and they haven't heard of the above either.

Maybe it is a Keighley thing?

• caddir
    Options
    Oh, and also I have moved to Preston now and they have this strange thing called butter pie. I haven't ever had one - it isn't diet friendly - but I think it is potato and butter in pastry.
  • caddir
    Options
    I googled "fish Scone" and got this: http://holtsfishandchips.co.uk/menu3.php
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I will never cease to be confused by the cider thing. It does make the whole incident with my American exchange partner when I was 18 make more sense though!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    There was something... no forgot

I remembered.
    'Pro-Doose' - US,
    'Vegetables/Fruit n' Veg' - UK

its Produce. thats the umbrella term for fruits and vegetables.....as in where is the produce section of the grocery store? we never say "im going to eat some produce".....we name the fruit or veg