Short ladies, what's your daily calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.. 1350 and eating most, if not all, of my exercise cals. I'm trying this out this weeke to see if I lose. I'll know tomorrow at weigh in. I'm 189lbs and have been finding it impossible to lose. I started with 1200, sedentary to lose 2lbs a week to 1350, sedentary to lose 1lb. It's been an uphill battle.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    5'2 and 153. i actually use Lose It for the food and its set to 1 lb a week at 1400. I have it down as sedentary and do not eat back exercise calories (but I don't do anything hard core). I think for maintenance I will be around 1800 calories. I figure I go over and under often enough that it will even out. I tend to lose a 1 to 1.5 lb a week (when I am on track).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    5'1", 144.2 pounds and I'm losing weight too quickly right now (still getting the hang of Fitbit calorie adjustments) on anywhere from 1450 - 1700 calories.
  • spunkypug100
    spunkypug100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, such good info!
  • spunkypug100
    Options
    I'm currently not weighing my self because it always get me discouraged, but I have a drs. appointment in a week so I will get weighed there. I may adjust after. I have about 75 +/- lbs to lose. I have always been very muscular and I had a Bod pod test and it said I had 117lbs lean mass, so for now I have decided 1200 is to low. We will see :)
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi, first time writing on here. I don't see many (if any) short ppl who weigh as much as me..i am 5'2 and 245lbs(goal is 140-150)..i just started on my weight loss journey. I am restricted to 1200 cals, which is very hard but i am starting to get used to it. Since I am classified as morbidly obese (yes, i know how could i let that happen, trust me it wasn't intentional more like I wasn't paying attention, I married, had children, got a job sitting 9 hours a day and then i stepped on the scale and went WTH! what have I done to myself after putting myself on the back burner for so long) I am set for losing 2lbs a week(or more, under doctors care). It goes something like this 60+ lbs to lose - 2lbs a week, 40lbs to lose-1.5 lbs a week, 20lbs - 1lb a week. any less and you should try for .5 lbs a week. This is just to maintain health and overall muscle. Hope that helps. Good luck on your journey.
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and it's set at 1200
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    5'3/98 maintain around 2000-2200
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I eat about 1500. I've lost about 12kgs so far
  • wintersyve
    wintersyve Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, 5ft 1in and was 156lb when I started 3 months ago. I started on 1200 a day and I lasted a week. Then I switched up to 1450 a day with weight lost I took it down to 1402.
    I have lost 20.5 lbs so far and am on my last 14lbs.
    I have mfp set to sedentary with a Fitbit linked and negative adjustments enabled.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11" between 102lb and 103lb and I am maintaining at about 1350 calories (without exercise), and around 1500 + calories when I exercise. I am small and 71 years old so I don't need much food and I don't burn many calories either when I exercise.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not weighing my self because it always get me discouraged, but I have a drs. appointment in a week so I will get weighed there. I may adjust after. I have about 75 +/- lbs to lose. I have always been very muscular and I had a Bod pod test and it said I had 117lbs lean mass, so for now I have decided 1200 is to low. We will see :)

I personally don't trust the weight that I see in the doctor's scale. It is usually taken with clothes and shoes, and after eating, so is not the right one. Better to weight yourself in the morning, before eating and without clothes. Some people also recommends after using the bathroom but I never found that to make a huge difference. I bet that you can see up to 4 lbs difference between your morning weight and the one at the doctor's office.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    wintersyve wrote: »
    I'm 44, 5ft 1in and was 156lb when I started 3 months ago. I started on 1200 a day and I lasted a week. Then I switched up to 1450 a day with weight lost I took it down to 1402.
    I have lost 20.5 lbs so far and am on my last 14lbs.
    I have mfp set to sedentary with a Fitbit linked and negative adjustments enabled.

This makes two good points.

Your calorie goal should change as you lose weight (takes fewer calories to maintain a smaller body after you've lost some). If you let MFP set your targets based on activity level, pounds/week goal, and current weight, it will make the adjustments for you. If you override it, you should plan to re-evaluate periodically and adjust your goal yourself.

Also, if you find a more aggressive goal harder to comply with, then go with a less aggressive target (even at a high body weight) if that will keep you on course rather than giving up.
  • spunkypug100
    Options

Gisel2015 wrote: »

I personally don't trust the weight that I see in the doctor's scale. It is usually taken with clothes and shoes, and after eating, so is not the right one. Better to weight yourself in the morning, before eating and without clothes. Some people also recommends after using the bathroom but I never found that to make a huge difference. I bet that you can see up to 4 lbs difference between your morning weight and the one at the doctor's office.

I actually was weighed at the same drs about two weeks ago and my appointment will be about the same time. I don't want to weigh at home because I become obsessed with it and start doing it every day which is discouraging. Thank you tho :)
  • azbearme
    azbearme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.4, work in an office all day, so sedentary, but exercise quite often. I'm 48 yrs old. My starting weight was 156, my goal is 142. MFP gives me 1200 a day, and I eat my fitbit calories, I occassionally go way over calories, but try to stick to my budget. I log everything even when I go over. I'm happy with the progress so far. I've been losing almost a pound a week. I could use a few more MFP friends so if need an accountability buddy, friend me please...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Hi, first time writing on here. I don't see many (if any) short ppl who weigh as much as me..i am 5'2 and 245lbs(goal is 140-150)..i just started on my weight loss journey. I am restricted to 1200 cals, which is very hard but i am starting to get used to it. Since I am classified as morbidly obese (yes, i know how could i let that happen, trust me it wasn't intentional more like I wasn't paying attention, I married, had children, got a job sitting 9 hours a day and then i stepped on the scale and went WTH! what have I done to myself after putting myself on the back burner for so long) I am set for losing 2lbs a week(or more, under doctors care). It goes something like this 60+ lbs to lose - 2lbs a week, 40lbs to lose-1.5 lbs a week, 20lbs - 1lb a week. any less and you should try for .5 lbs a week. This is just to maintain health and overall muscle. Hope that helps. Good luck on your journey.

I am 4'11" and was 252lbs at the start of Jan, if I was gonna do it all over again I would not eat at 1200kcal. I don't now at 165lbs. It's torture and not needed for people as large as I was to lose weight, it practically melted off for the first 4 months.

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 180-190. I haven't checked in a while. I'm on 1500-1600. I usually lose .5-1lb power week with no exercise at that level. If I exercise I'd lose up to 2lbs, sometimes even 3lb. Exercising really can boost the metabolism so you even burn more calories at rest. When I exercise I eat 1700-1900 often and still lose 1-2lb per week or more. :) obviously it varies every time, but those are the ranges and I've lost weight multiplies times in the last ten years. It's always the same for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", lightly active, 130ish pounds. I shoot for 1300 during the week, maybe hit a maintenance day...try to get an average of 1500-1600 to lose .5 lbs per week. It is slooooooow going. Definitely easier when I was heavier.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    5ft0. Age 39. 98lbs. Between 1000 to 1100 per day without excersise. Looking to lose a couple of pounds.

None of my business but, your weight is already low for your height.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11 and mfp gave me 1200, however, a different app told me I only need 1300 to maintain (45 yo office worker who drives everywhere because I live in the sticks). losing weight slowly