Why would someone prefer almond milk over skimmed milk?

Options

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I drink both depending on the use. I switched to whole milk in my coffee. I use almond milk or almond/coconut milk in my smoothies and with my cereal on the rare occasion I eat cereal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    That's easy! No growth hormones or antibiotics! Next....

you know cow milk is available without those things, right?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I do like the taste of almond milk but given the price of it in the UK and the lack of protein, I stick to cow milk or soya.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so I use almond milk. I also like how long it lasts, because grocery shopping is inconvenient for me - far away and I have no car.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1. less carbs
    2. longer shelf life in my fridge
    3. different flavours (vanilla or plain or blend of coconut/almond) plus there's cashew milk
    4. I eat tons of calcium rich foods so no biggie on missing the calcium
    I do wish they came in jugs or bags (like our milk in Canada) because I can plow through a carton in no time.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    kkzmom11 wrote: »
    personally, i prefer almond milk to cow's because i am not a cow. i am not an almond either, but first and foremost i am not a bovine. therefore, i am not going to drink milk that is intended for a baby bovine.

this as well
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    because skim milk is nasty and tastes like cardboard. GROSS. Almond milk is delicious.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Could it just be taste? Simple as that? Just taste?

Bingo. I've always hated the taste of plain cow's milk... I remember refusing to drink it when it was provided during snack in kindergarten. I much prefer the taste of almond/coconut milk blend. I eat enough dairy otherwise and have milk so infrequently that the nutrition aspect of it isn't even on my radar.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tastes gross. I grew up on skim but my girlfriend prefers 2% so that's what we're buying.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste or smell of dairy milk. The only way I'd drink dairy milk when I was younger was to either have flavored milk like chocolate or strawberry or add plain milk to ice cream. I find almond milk neutral so I drink that in my breakfast smoothie or use it in the occasional bowl of cereal.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Milk doesn't agree with me, plus I don't really like the taste. But I do like the taste of almond milk. Plus I can have more in my cereal since it's lower cals.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    personally, i prefer almond milk to cow's because i am not a cow. i am not an almond either, but first and foremost i am not a bovine. therefore, i am not going to drink milk that is intended for a baby bovine.

Huh? Does that mean you don't eat anything made with cow or other animal milk? No cheese or any other dairy?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond milk because 1) Taste 2) Calorie Content and 3) Cost.

I prefer the taste, I prefer the 30 calories over that over skim or higher and I can get half a gallon of Almond Milk for $.49 to $1.49 (depending on sale and coupons), whereas a gallon of cow's milk is $3.50-$4.00
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Huh? Does that mean you don't eat anything made with cow or other animal milk? No cheese or any other dairy?

I was wondering the same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure nothing else we eat or drink, except your mothers breast milk, was "intended" solely for the purpose of human consumption.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I buy 2% and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The 2% is used for the kids and my husband and I use it when cooking. The almond milk is for my coffee, cereal, and smoothies. Around here, almond milk and 2% are pretty equivalent in price right now.

One bonus of almond milk is that it lasts longer--which is great because I'm the only one using it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Because almond milk tastes more like actual milk than skimmed "milk" does.

I drink 2%, whole or almond. But I usually only get almond for mixing with protein- I rarely drink it for the taste.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of personal preference. Personally I don't drink it, but it is good I guess.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Milk is not my friend. I drink unsweetened soy milk. High protein, less sugar, low calories, healthy fat.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

So it's not because you like the taste of it better
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Op never tried almond milk but I will try it. I might even like it.