I went to Aldi today!

1235»

Replies

• Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    When I was at school (I live in the UK), some kids in my class used to get bullied because their parents shopped at Aldi (You could tell by the labels on their food at lunch time!). People used to take the pi%s out of them because it apparently signified that they were poverty stricken lol.

Ha did you go to my school by any chance?? One of the best insults in our playground was "Your mum shops in aldi".

It was the same with Primark......

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    When I was at school (I live in the UK), some kids in my class used to get bullied because their parents shopped at Aldi (You could tell by the labels on their food at lunch time!). People used to take the pi%s out of them because it apparently signified that they were poverty stricken lol.

Ha did you go to my school by any chance?? One of the best insults in our playground was "Your mum shops in aldi".

It was the same with Primark......

Omg again WTF :D
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2015
    When I was at school (I live in the UK), some kids in my class used to get bullied because their parents shopped at Aldi (You could tell by the labels on their food at lunch time!). People used to take the pi%s out of them because it apparently signified that they were poverty stricken lol. Bloody snobs. Now in these times of austerity lots of families are switching to Aldi because the foods decent and the prices are good. I sometimes shop there but I ware a disguise in case somebody who went to my school sees me in there and gives me a wedgy!

a friend of my mums shopped at netto but used to transfer her shopping into sainsburys bags so the neighbours wouldnt know

my mum used to bring the netto shopping home in their cardboard boxes lol

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I miss aldi. There used to be one by my old house but now the closest is an hour away. I agree with the people who said the meat is expensive. It totally is and so is the seafood. The prices actually look ok, but you have to look at the weight too. I saw scallops for like $6 but then when I read the box it was only 10oz which means they were over $12 a pound which is the same or more than the grocery store. The produce at the one by me was hit or miss too. Their milk, lactose free, milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, lunch snacks are cereals are all good. I like certain brands for personal care products and toilet paper has to be cottonelle and paper towells bounty so I never bought that kind of stuff there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    I have been shopping at Aldi for over 10 years now. I do 90% of my grocery shopping there. My beef and lamb I get at the butcher. They do not carry tofu or some of the other Asian and Indian ingredients I use. My girls love their Almond milk. The only thing I have found that my family does not like is their brand of Ro-tel tomatoes. Otherwise we have always had good luck shopping there.

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

Not quite. There are 2 Aldi's, owned by brothers (one passed away 2 years ago), and owned and operated as separate companies. One owns all of the Aldi's in the US (Aldi Sud) along with a few in Europe. The other owns most of the the Aldi's in Europe and Trader Joe's in the US (Aldi Nord). Aldi has owned Trader Joes since 1979.

• earlnabby
    I like Aldi. When I have a large shopping list, I start there and finish at my local Pick 'n Save (owned by Roundy's). I can't get everything at Aldi, but I can usually knock off more than half of my list and the quality and prices are top notch. My only quibble is that some of the basic produce, like onions and potatoes, only come in bigger bags. I live alone so I often only need to buy one onion or one potato. Both stores are reasonably close so it doesn't matter enough to worry about.
  • earlnabby
    cw106 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

I don't think that's true. Trader joes is privately held--no holding company--in the US. And Aldi is German, kinda like the IKEA of groceries.

Absolutely same company split into 2 seperate divivisions; aldi sud and aldi nord.
    Awesomely mighty oat flapjacks my current fave.
    100g 329 cal 8.5g protein 17g fibre.49p.
    Also, Benefit bars good bang for calorie buck.

Two different companies, not two different divisions. In a sense, Trader Joe's is privately held: it was bought by Theo Albrecht, owner of Aldi Nord, in 1979.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    I have been shopping here of late, I like a lot of their stuff. They have a sweet and hot mustard which I like.

The only thing I have been disappointed by so far is the Southern Grove mixed nuts. In the whole 10oz can only 2 brazil nuts (love brazil nuts), and the cashews and almonds were dwarfed by the peanuts. Not in quantity - that's expected in mixed nuts - but in size.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Aldi is the best, the produce lasts longer than other stores. I have tried most everything--the low calorie yogurt is awesome. I don't believe there is anything I have tried that I wasn't happy with.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited September 2015
    I'm a recent Aldi convert. There's a new one near my daughter's gym so I checked it out after I dropped her off at practice last week. Everything I tried has been good and the prices were great. The oreo clones may actually be better than the real thing. I will definitely be going back.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I bought some k-cups at Aldi (they're cheaper at my work, but I was there, so I figured I'd check out this "Irish Cream" flavor that we don't have). I got the Irish cream and Cayman coconut flavors. They tasted like cigarette ashes.
  • kwownow
    kwownow Posts: 43 Member
    I shop at Aldi too. Love their lime fat free yogurt-- tastes like key lime pie to me! I love their low fat cottage cheese with a chopped apple and cinnamon! Their cereals are great too. I even found steel cut oats!
  • nursethis
    nursethis Posts: 10 Member
    In Evansville Indiana Aldi, eggs are $1.69 and do is a gallon of milk. It's good prices, so I stock up every time I go.
    Also they have a really cheap white wine that is good to throw in a splash when stir frying
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I finally went to Aldi last week and got a whole cart full for $75. I moved recently so it's finally convenient. Since I've had many friends here that shop there, I knew not to expect them to have everything. I was mostly happy with what I found. Just like any other grocer, some items aren't a deal, but there are enough things worth a once or so monthly trip.

The fresh produce was hit or miss on quality and availability. Seeing portabello for $0.99 was nice. I got ground beef for 2.79lb which is about half of anyone else.

Eggs have gotten ridiculously expensive everywhere here. I've heard there is a disease wiping out large numbers of hens and maybe that's regional if you still get them cheap...lucky! There have also been some big fires wiping out huge egg hen barns local to me.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    A new Aldi has just opened a mile from me. My family made fun of me for being excited, and then took the p!ss even more when I came home and tried to justify my exhilaration at getting an avocado so big it needed both hands to hold it for the sum of 79p. Normally they're £1.50 for a measly-sized one in Asda.
  • AMarlene
    AMarlene Posts: 31 Member
    Tuna was gross but I get their coffee k cups, almond milk, eggs,yogurt, produce& frozen fruit & bread
  • 4whirlygigs
    4whirlygigs Posts: 11 Member
    I finally went to Aldi last week and got a whole cart full for $75. I moved recently so it's finally convenient. Since I've had many friends here that shop there, I knew not to expect them to have everything. I was mostly happy with what I found. Just like any other grocer, some items aren't a deal, but there are enough things worth a once or so monthly trip.

The fresh produce was hit or miss on quality and availability. Seeing portabello for $0.99 was nice. I got ground beef for 2.79lb which is about half of anyone else.

Eggs have gotten ridiculously expensive everywhere here. I've heard there is a disease wiping out large numbers of hens and maybe that's regional if you still get them cheap...lucky! There have also been some big fires wiping out huge egg hen barns local to me.

Avian flu - millions of dead chickens in my state
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    I do all my shopping at Aldi, since it is the only grocery store I can walk to in my area. I love everything about them except the limited variety. Also sometimes they may have a food in stock and I wont see it again until a few months later...which is weird. Other than the couple items I may need somewhere else, Aldi does the trick for everything else. The price is great too.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I just bought two of the huge tubs of their nonfat Greek yogurt today. It tastes no different, and it's sooooo much cheaper!

Its da bomb