WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    It has been awhile but I'm back. Just turned 60 so new year new me!mtiwgockfh7u.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy032.gif We are having friends over to our house for a meal today....for us, this is a rarity. They are the breeders we got our poodles from and also the ones that Jake works for an overseer and grass cutter and all around helper while they are gone to California for months at a time. They are like family in a very good way. Usually we go to their house and they cook too much good food and we eat too much or we go to a restaurant. This time, she suggested that we do potluck at our house. Jake made his low sodium marinara sauce which we'll serve with pasta or cauliflower (my choice) and meatless crumbles. They will bring something to go with it. Jake got up early this morning and washed or vacuumed all the floors. I did all the dog walking and cleared all the miscellany off the dining room table so four people can sit there.

welcome.gif Kathy (plantlady), it is great to see you here again. You will love all the women who are on the thread now and they will be delighted to meet you. I hope you'll come back and share more about your journey.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @megblair1 Well I did go onto the local police Facebook page (where the agressive elk was first reported) and told them that I HOPED the Elk was just relocated and not put down. I expressed to the police that the Elk wasn't aggressive, but the neighborhood was being too bold. I put on the site that I have evidence of neighbors feeding them, (which is a fine).
    I have seen small children from my complex walking across the street to the field where the Elk like to hang out. I yell at the kids to NOT approach them any further. They run back home and then I see a parent looking up in the direction of my balcony. I yell back, "Yep it was me, your child was getting too close". The parent usually says, "oh they have grown up around Elk so don't worry".....It just amazes me.
    Becca
    the newly acclaimed Elk Ambassador of
    the coastal parts of Oregon....
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I think I heard Penny say we are mental!
    Heavens, Joyce! When did I ever say that? This has to be one of the most sensible groups I know!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip~ glad you liked it sent it before the surgery didn't know how long it would take to get to you.. Love ya lots girlfriend xoxoxo
    I agree Joyce about depends for Charlie, it would save alot of agravation..(sp) they have ones that look like underpants, and that is what my DSIL mother uses, she has bowel issues too.. just a thought.. and please look into that help for the eldery.. I think it would be wonderful for both of you..
    well after work ,Tom and I moved some of the stuff back into the kitchen and dining room, I cleaned the furniture off.. and then I actually sat for 3-4 hrs and read a book , it has been ages since I did that
    wake for my friend is 4-8 tomorrow night and they are having it at the church as they did for my late boss, because he was a well known person to the community and grew up here and has a huge family ,it is gonna be mobbed..
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I think I heard Penny say we are mental!
    Heavens, Joyce! When did I ever say that? This has to be one of the most sensible groups I know!

One of the recent posters used "mentalpause" in place of "menopause".... I think Joyce may be referring to that.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not in the mood to b henpecking much.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Tomorrow I spin for the first and the bandage will come off
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Meg glad you are drying out.

Plantlady Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:

I agree I love hearing about Heather's adventures.

Becca I agree with you about the elk. That is why the quit feeding the bears in Yellowstone and Glacier. It was to protect both humans and the bears.

One of my husband's friends just got back from walking the Appalachian Trail. He started in April and finished in September. You walk over 2000 miles. Quite inspirational. He had a party to celebrate the achievement. Loved seeing all his pictures. I don't think that will be on my bucket list.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am so excited I got accepted into Hogwarts - a challenge. I was wait listed last term. I am a person that works harder when I have a competition to work with.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I have a great husband who is doing everything for me, I am truly blessed. I didn't know I was only able to pick up a cup of coffee, nothing else. Oops. Because I was sleeping sitting up with my head in the corner, I was slowly pushing air mattress away from the wall. We put a dresser pushed up against one end and a big heavy tv against the the other side. We will c if that works. He hasn't mastered on the art of the ponytail, I have been able to get someone at the gym to put one on for me. I will finally b able to c what I have underneath the bandaid
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fi00yrrwp9hb.jpeg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sylvia, tiny black yoga pants and tiny jacket is the bomb. You go girl. Hope you feel better soon. And poor Bruno.

Pip - so you take the bandage off yourself? Great stats for only a couple days post- op.

MNMargaret - I think that's way beyond my bucket list too, but what an adventure.

Janetr OKC
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Joyce When someone is as sick as Charlie they can only think of themselves.

I agree with Heather in getting help. He came home too soon and now you have the stress of caring for a very ill person.
    It is not selfish of you to take a break you need it so you can give him care. Found it interesting that he finally ate when you were not present. Sounds like he is trying to control you because his body is so out or control. We have the same problem with our son. He tries to control us in unhealthy ways because his own health is so out of control. Knowing this helps, but does not always make it easier.

I have made the decision to find a new choir. I have sang in a church choir for twenty years. The current choir director teaches music to children as her day job. The problem is she treats us like we are those children. She has outstanding voices in her choir who know what to do with little direction. She does not trust that which is too bad i.e. I find her too bent on short term and loses sight of the long term. I unfortunately have used her as an example of what not to do when I am working with children as I sub. (That is a red flag for me). She tries to make up for it by being over complementary that I just find annoying. The main reason I will find another group is she takes the joy out of singing for me. I know what I am looking for in a choir director. Hopefully I can find it.

This is what I am looking for in this order:
    1. The most important thing is the message we are delivering as we sing.
    2. Singing is fun.
    3. We work on the technical parts of the song with #1 and #2 to guide us.

This is what I am looking for. I have had too many directors who say #1 is what they are about only to get lost in the technical aspects of singing. I agree there are skills to develop in singing. Just not at the expense of the message.

Thanks for letting clarify my thoughts on this matter. It will help as I seek out a new choir.

:heart: MNMargaret

Hey Girls,
    I'm behind a hundred posts and super tired from a busy day at work...just wanted to let u k that all went well today. They still love me...their words were we knew it was a complete accident bc you exude happiness and interest in your job and customers more so than anybody. We really didn't even want to do a formal notice about this and we downgraded the mistake to a late call out which was two points. Ten points in ninety days and you get an official written warning..to keep it I. Perspective..so alls good...more later..I really hope all of u have been doing fab since Thursday night..but for those who haven't mucho Higgs.
    Mindy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    England lost the rugby - in the last minutes of the game. Poor DH. :'(

Heather x UK

Oh no, hope DH is not too upset so there is not a repeat episode

Janetr
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Pip, thanks for the updates! I have a feeling everything is gonna be okay.
    Wow, so much great info about holidays. I am trying to become more flexible in my thinking about many things lately, including holidays. One thing I won't do is go shopping! Not a fan of Black Friday madness at all.
    Had a productive day--made 7 pints of escabeche and started drying tomatoes.
    Also, everybody keep the pictures coming--I love them--the wedding stuff, the hiking stuff, the glamorous gowns, the elk...this Eastern girl has only seen elk a few times and they are magnificent creatures. Cannot imagine anyone stupid enough to not have a healthy respect for them and their wild nature.
    Betty
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Meg, I totally agree about the bigger clothes being ugly. I used to grumble about it all the time. They would have smaller clothes in all sorts of beautiful colors. Apricot, soft mauve, robins egg blue, teal, but the big stuff only came in primary colors and white. Nobody looks good in primary colors, I think. And the same with styles and patterns. Small clothes got beautiful pattern and colors. Big clothes got what was left over at the tent factory. It's really frustrating. I hated shopping. It's a lot more fun now.

We just got home from rushing Bruno to the PetSmart vet over in Joplin. They gave him a shot for nausea. They wanted to do more testing, but it was closing time, so they agreed it could probably wait till our regular vet opens on Monday. If he gets worse we can take him back tomorrow. For now he's in his crate do he can't eat. They didn't want him to eat till tomorrow, but he can have water. So, we are staying home tonight instead of going back to the lake. I'm a little worried that he might have drunk water from a toilet right after I cleaned it this morning. I flushed them afterward and closed the bathroom doors, do I don't think so, but I can't think of anything else he could have gotten into. I hope it's not that.

Well, I think I'm going to bed early. Have a great night!

Sylvia
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    DJ Myrtle Beach, SC -
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Mia, how wonderful that your pillow found its way home!!! Did you call or did the hotel do that on its own?

No, the pillow didn't find it's way on its own. It took 5 phone calls (2 to find it and 3 to get it to a UPS store) so I was rather surprised that it actually made it.

Mia in MI