WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
35zjbsm58byj.jpg

:) Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for August?
What goals and resolutions have you planned for September?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

And don't forget to bookmark this new thread so you can find it again.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

August Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk 15,000 steps a day (more than that every day except the last day of the month)
*drink 9 glasses a water a day (every day)
*weight training twice a week(eight times this month)
*thoroughly clean guest room (finished)
*thoroughly organize linen closet (finished)
*speak up--don't sulk (I didn't realize how often I sulked when I thought I was being "a good sport" by not complaining---I also realized how much tone of voice matters) This was a great goal for me.

September resolutions
*walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day
*drink 9 glasses of water a day
*strength training twice a week
*15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone
* meditate for five minutes four or more days a week

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    Did 1 segment of the Butt Lift DVD (probably around 10 minutes) held my plank for 2 min 50 seconds (5 more seconds!) and then the extreme pump class.

the plan for tomorrow is to do a 20-40-60 workout on the treadmill. Basically, that's speed intervals.

janetr - I do like using the compression stockings. If my ankles are really swolen (like they were yesterday) I have a harder time putting them on, but they do work. My back is better today. It still hurts but I am going to take the extremepump class.

Joyce - glad you were able to see some of your old Charlie back. Someone once said to me "everything happens for a reason". Maybe this happened so that you could tell us the importance of having things written down. I've been asking Vince to write down for me the passwords to files, etc for years now and he STILL hasn't done it. I'm going to bring up to him Charlie's case and mention how things change in a heartbeat. How I want to go over to you and give you a real big hug and not let you go

Becca - you sure are one sassy lady there. And your "companion" too. I love dressing up for certain events

dreamwriter - Vince told me that Denise had a 1/2hr skype with Bryan, Jessica said that he gave her a site where you can text for free. Last night Vince was telling me that Denise kept asking Bryan to talk to Diana and he told her she wasn't there but then Denise heard her in the background saying "what do you mean, I'm right here" So what was that all about? I don't know. Maybe I should tell Denise not to tell Bryan anything more about Vince (like how he's doing) but if Bryan wants to know, he should get in touch with me. Besides, it might be days before Denise knew anything and I'd know immediately. Maybe Bryan really doesn't care.

Heather - I'm thinking that I may leave the extreeplump class early today and just go in the pool for a bit before we have senior bowling.

Does anyone else keep getting the message that MFP isn't responding due to a long running script? If you do, what do you do about it?

miriam - I'm so sorry you were in such pain

Exercised then went in the pool, then to bowling (didn't do real good today), stopped at CVS, we'll have an early dinner then go to ceramics and I'll leave early to go to mahjongg.

Penny - I always so enjoy reading your posts and how things are over there. Thanks so much for sharing everything with us.

Heather - I'm going to have Jessica's friend, her hubby and their son here for dinner this Sun. I had invited them since they'd have been here for 2 weeks and were probably somewhat settled. In the meantime, Jessica invited them to the pool party. Not a big deal, really. But the things I was planning to serve them I was also planning to have for the party. So now I need to change up my menu. Like I said, not a big deal. Hey, do you or anyone else have a dessert recipe for a diabetic that does not contain artificial sweetener? I have a book "I can't Believe This Has No Sugar" but I'm not sure those are diabetic-firnedly recipes. Andy (the hubby) is diabetic. I'm planning to have beer butt chicken and hamburgers in case their son isn't big on chicken, I'll make white potatoes and sweet potatoes since sweet potatoes are better for a diabetic. Actually, when Jess was dating Andy's bro, we had Thanksgiving with his parents. The mother is diabetic. So I made these sweet potatoes. Jessica said to me "she won't eat them" and sure enough, she didn't. Well, if Andy doesn't eat them, I like sweet potatoes so that's not a biggie.

You go Maryann!

Mindy - when I was a cashier, we always had to count back the change. It's so sad when you go to the store now and the cashiers have no idea how much change to give you unless they put it into their register. But mistakes happen. You know the saying "if you want to make God laugh, make a plan". Another thing was to place the bill that the person gave you on top of the bills-part of the drawer until you've given them their change. People will say "oh I gave you a 20" when they really only gave you a 10, The only way you can verify is to have the drawer checked out, and sometimes that takes a long time. But if you have their bill right in front of you, you can say "no, see, I never put your bill with the others and it's only a 10"

barbie - hope you feel better real soon. This must be killing you

Tia - how did you know that your son blocked you on FB?

katla - yea, Vince's bulging disks makes lying on his back very painful.

DJ - I have been having problems with MFP freezing up. I talked to Vince (he was in IT for 23 years) and he said it's because theiy are cross scripting. He suggested I use a different browser. I usually use IE so maybe next time I'll try Chrome. I admit I surf the net on my phone at times, but only at times when I absolutely must. Back is still hurting a bit, but no where near what it was like yesterday. I don't even feel my feet so they're in good condition

mia - wonderful NSV's!

Mia - I probably would worry if I didn't have anything to worry about, too. Guess it's mothers

Rori - thanks for posting those pics. Everyone - we had a salmon burger on one of those 100 cal thins, an ear of corn on the cob, some of the spinach/feta quiche, mixed veges and for dessert I made Hungry Girl "brownies" which is basically cake mix and a can of pumpkin. but even Vince will eat them -- as long as we don't tell him there's pumpkin in them. I put that into MFP and each "brownie" came out to 111 calories. Wish I was able to offer Carol something to eat, but she did take some of the "brownies" home with her.

Cheri - I do believe your dh and mine are related. That's the way he would eat if I'd let him

Micheller - jump right in!

Michele in NC
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi I use a tablet, I don't know how to use copy and post yet, forgive me for not knowing your names, but will learn as time goes by,
    Barbie I live in Camas Washington, work for peacehealth in Vancouver.
    You will only see me in the evenings, I work 6 to 3 Monday through Friday.
    I'm a fit bit user, my employer provides them with cash incentives from virgin pulse.
    Down 18 lbs since April and two pant sizes.
    Will be celebrating 34 years of marriage come Sept. 11
    New goal is to be down another pants size come new year. Hopefully in onederland.
    I have a sciatica problem which can be severe.
    Call me Michelle
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you for keeping this thread going!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add. ...please add me as your friend
    Michelle in Camas washington
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    thanks,Barbie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Barbie, Thanks for taking care of us even when you are under the weather. I love this group of ladies.

Goals for August:
    - My goal of tracking everything I ate and exercising every day fell by the wayside the last week of August.

Goals for September:
    - get to get back to tracking every bite and getting my exercise in each day.
    - Strengthen my legs to prepare for left knee replacement the end of September.
    - Maintain the weight loss.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Joyce (((Hugs))) I agree if Charlie's is being difficult which is understandable given his condition give yourself permission to walk away. We have to do this with our son right now. When he swears at us we just get up and walk away. I cry and let my body shake to help rid myself of my pent up emotions. My best therapy is just to try to take care of myself the best I can under these difficult conditions. I know getting run down and sick will not help the situation. It will only make it more difficult to cope with my DS. A church member once told me what helped her was finding those moments of grace in the midst of the turmoil. That is why the story of helping my other son with his car troubles was so helpful to me. That a complete stranger would take the time to help us and that the AAA member had enough foresight to put a new battery on his truck made the situation so much easier.

Surrounding you and Charlie in prayer.

Goals for August:
    Goals:
    To continue to eat fresh veggies from garden. Kale chips were a success this time.
    To keep working on a shelf or drawer a day and cull out things I don't need.
    Walk everyday
    Visit with a friend daily by walking, visiting or talking on the phone.

Did well with my goals
    -ate fresh veggies everyday
    -made progress on our basement got rid of small stand and plant stand numerous bags went to Goodwill. Got a table full of teaching material ready to donate to schools.
    -walked almost everyday
    -when possible spent time with a friend either by visiting or talking on the phone

Plan to keep same goals for September because I think these goal helped me stay healthy in August.

Remembered to bookmark this page so easier to find. Star outline by the title of this forum turns yellow when you click on it. It is like bookmarking a site in Google.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Michelle - thanks for the nudge. I'm determined to put the compression stockings on and wear them at least while we are traveling during our trip to Missouri. If I have the opportunity to put my feet up that helps. Glad your back is better, hope it continues to heal.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    August Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow: This is a good habit and I'm keeping it up well. I now estimate portion sizes most of the time, and weigh or measure occasionally to keep myself accurate.

3. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.: I'm meeting this average well. Some weeks I make it five days a week.

4. Have fun every day: I have been very happy with this goal and I do find something to enjoy nearly every day. some times it is a big deal like going on a trail raide, but many days it is something small, like the hummingbirds visiting my feeder.

5. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! I am doing so much better with this. I'm really proud of myself.

6. Eliminate alcohol: Done 90% of the time. The rare occasions I imbibe are few and far between, and I usually don't enjoy them like I used to.

7. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly: I'm doing well but not perfect. DH snores sometimes, and I end up moving to another room. Sometimes my time falls a little below the goal, but not far and not often.

September goals are below. I look forward to seeing your posts in the upcoming month. I love this group of women.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I lost my goal list in internet heaven. I am going to start over and list new goals for September.

1. Increase weights on Stronglifts 5x5
    2. Weight lift at least 3 x a week
    3. 8 hour diet window
    4. 8 power foods
    5. 8 cups of water
    6. Follow night time snacking prevention methods
    7. Lose 5 lbs
    8. 10,000 steps on rest days

Quote- I know I can

Word - prioritize

Good luck to everyone on a great start and a successful September!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Masses of hugs to Joyce. I can see all the inner turmoil you're going through and hope you will find ways to manage Charlie's problems without increasing your own. Margaret's advice about walking away when you need to sounds like a good idea — and we know it comes from experience.

Thanks Rori for posting the photos. I bet meeting each other IRL has added a whole new dimension for you lucky girls!

August goals (with comments):
    1. Maintain my pound-a-day veggie habit. Almost 100%
    2. Get back to consistent logging starting 11 August, when I return to the High North and resume my ordinary life. Washout. Somehow ordinary life didn't want to get started again until right at the end of the month.
    3. Maximum ½ bottle of wine one day per week (again starting from 11 August). Did very well until I had a dinner party with good friends I hadn't seen for a long time. Oh, well.
    4. Jog a total of 100 km. YESSS! smiley-dance009.gif
    5. Strength train at least twice a week. Washout again. Mom's fall threw me for a loop and I didn't get back to the strength training program again.

September goals:
    1. Maintain my pound-a-day veggie habit
    2. Log my food consistently (exceptions for a couple parties I know are coming up)
    3. Maximum ½ bottle of wine one day per week
    4. Jog a total of 75 km
    5. Start on the Stronglift 5×5 program, goal three times a week for the first 18 days (after that I'm traveling)

Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

70411392.png

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm here and decided to just start back on this page and see if I can keep up.
    I will post my goals later and my results.
    My sis and DBIL are staying the night here because they are getting the keys to their house some time tomorrow.
    My older brother's birthday was yesterday so tonight I threw together a birthday supper and invited the siblings last moment. Everyone said it was delicious and we didn't have much left overs. I probably over ate and I did have cake and ice cream. Lots of stories and laughter but we didn't play any games. It was a nice evening.
    Shopped for pants for work today because some of mine are thread bare. I can wear dark denim for work. I am happy to report that I found a pair that I really like at Ricki's. I took the biggest pair in and had to keep sending them back for a smaller pair. The scale has been moving very slowly for me for a long time now but maybe something else is happening. All I know is my butt looks good in these jeans.
    DH broke his phone (again) . So tomorrow I am getting a new phone but not really he will just take it. It was interesting going to C.E.P. because 2 former co-workers and still friends work there. I envy them the nice work environment. I can't give up my wage, benefits and 5 wks of vacation to go elsewhere. We were visiting when DH asked if they wanted him to just run the place and we could go for coffee. That would have been lovely.
    Prayers for all that need them.
    Congrats to all who made their goals.

Wearing those good butt jeans to work
    -Sharon in windy Lethbridge
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    Joyce~ Oh how I wish I was there to spend time with you and just give you a big hug.. so very sorry you are going through this and that Charlie is too.I understand how he hurt you... as I have been through some of that before too, is the adivan or other meds making it even harder ,side effect anger? I dont know you are the retired nurse..
    I am keeping you both in my prayers and you can lean on our shoulders anytime .. Love ya <3
    a friend of mine was in yesterday her 26 yr old son died a week and a half ago ,dove into a quarry and never resurfaced.. but there are rumors that he was beat up and pushed in.

She is a strong woman,she said she planned everything out, for a peaceful warm and wonderful mass and eulogy.. and she said it was an amazing send off and that if there was one thing she learned.. that no matter what the age of your child,as a young adult.. have a talk about there wishes.. nobody ever wants to have that talk but it needs to be had..
    working at 9 this morning.. this is my long day, so will have to get stuff together for Tom and I for lunches
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,312 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thaank you Barbie! :flowerforyou: Hope you feel better soon.

Joyce - your post made me cry! I have to admire your rant - it was really something. <3 You go girl! You are entitled to rant as long as you like and get it out there. I've said it before, but your writing abilities are terrific.
    I expect you have calmed down by now, but I do think someone to talk to is a good idea. Someone outside the family. You are in the middle of a storm. Sending you lots of love. <3<3<3

Michele - I often give my brother (type 2) a selection of nice cheese for dessert. It gives me the excuse to eat my runny French cheese! Otherwise you could try googling diabetic desserts and see if none have artificial sweetner.

Vicki - great NSV! :flowerforyou:

Sharon - Here's to the great butt jeans! :drinker:

Off to the first yoga class after the break. :love:

Heather UK
  • trishroutley
    trishroutley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new the forum. Trish from NZ. My goal is 1kg week for 20 weeks. If possible. I am working out a HIIT 3x week and weights 3 x week.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Joyce big hug to you across the miles. Charlie reminds me of my Dad. He was so horrible when he was in the hospital. Often said the worst things to his family and it had to do with a medication they put him on. That said he could be just as bad to people he supposedly loved at home. I'm so glad you got all of that out of you and had a safe place to share it. It's just not the same thinking it in your head. I hope you had a good cry afterward.

The past week was really weird. I started Thursday by falling out of bed and landed on one of those little footstools you use for kids to get up to the sink. I sat there for about 15 minutes thinking about what a weird bruise I was going to have on my "boottskee" and how I was going to get up. DGS#2 was there so had him bring me a diningroom chair and got up easier than I thought it would be. Had a lovely week with the boys in camp especially with DS#1 gone for the whole week. DSG#2 was at day camp so got to enjoy time with him not crying from his brother being mean. School starts on the 9th for them and I am going to look for a part time job, maybe a receptionist. I don't need to make the kind of money I used to since I have my retirement and SS. I just need some fun money.

Pip I'm guessing that you and I live very close to each other since your stats show you riding back and forth from the dome.

Tonight I'm going to get off my computer early. I have to change my unorthodox sleeping habits. I stay up way way too late on the computer or watching marathon TV shows on Hulu. If I'm going to go to the Y after the kids leave for school I'm going to have to go to bed much earlier.

Good night everyone - see you all tomorrow
    GloriainWA

Tomorrow I will review my goals from August and post my September goals.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    All I know is my butt looks good in these jeans.
    Sharon – Now THERE'S a nice NSV!

I just got back from my free hour with the PT. My, oh my! I was thinking an hour might be one of those "classroom hours" that last 40 minutes, but she was really generous with her time. We spent an entire hour and a half talking and working on little old me and nothing else. What an ego trip it was!

She showed me some good warmup exercises to increase my flexibility, demonstrated barbell squats, dead lifts and bench press (for the Stronglifts) and several alternative exercises to help me build up my strength and technique (barbell lunges, goblet squats, various things with dumbbells, some rowing exercises for my shoulders, and much more). I'll have to sit down and try to write it all out before I forget it. At the end of the session she told me I was one fit lady. :)

I'll probably be working with her again from time to time.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Thank you Barbie for continuing thread!

August goals ... Well, since I gained weight we can just agree that I didn't pay attention to them.

September goals ... Go back to what I know works for me.
    1. Stay within calorie limits
    2. Log my earring honestly
    3. Make conscious effort to exercise
    4. Ignore eating back exercise calories for time being.
    5. Lose 2 pounds per week ... Which is doable since I have a lot of yo-yo weight.
    6. Meal plan and reorganize pantry, fridge and freezer to help with above goals

Beth in WNY
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Beth~ your gonna log your earrings? :D