WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I am glad that Charlie is doing better and you had a good day. Get a good nights sleep!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    real quick peeps -

kirby doesn't think we can afford to go to california for him to do the marathon, so that will be out and i'm bummed for him.

so i will be off of work for a week and i will have paid time off for that or i'm going to ask work if i have to wait for the time off to be accrued or can i take an advance so i can get the surgery done quicker.

he doesn't want me to ride bike or run for 6 weeks when i get this done so, i am going to see if i can get someone to bring me to work and i can take the train back and walk home from there for exercise. i will have kirby set one of my bikes on the bike trainer here at home so i can workout before i get picked up to go to work, so i will get exercise then too. he said i can get on a stationary bike about 3 days after if i wanted to just not on a road bike.

so now i got to schedule sometime when they are going to do this after my bike ride on the 13th.

so i gotta plan, the wheels r turning . nite peeps
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love seeing other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening My Friends,

Sylvia, how hard to know a child is being picked on and bullied with so little you can do about it. I do hope the school has a good plan. Glad you are there to give your DH the "adult supervision" he needs with his food. lol Way cool that the kid at GNC thought you were just a young chick. woo hoo

Linda, congrats on your loss and baggy pants.

Sandy, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. If you make it a lifestyle change, it can be your last stop. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often and join right in.

Barbie, your friend is very inspiring.

Heather, you have me laffing at you in the audience of the "Meet the Author". You are too funny.

MNMargaret, good advice about bullies.

Babs2u2, welcome. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us get to know you. This really works so come often and join right in.

miriam, what a sad story but the truth about denial.

Yvonne, congrats on the loss. The smaller pants will come. Mine comes when I least expect it and haven't lost any weight. Go figure. Sending healing thoughts for your pains. I know the feeling. :(

VJay, welcome. This is a great place to get rid of the weight and keep it off, as long as you hang with us. Come often.

Pip, I hate what's ahead for you but it has to be better than what you are suffering now. Good girl for doing what the doc says. (((Hugs)))

DeeDee, so good to hear from you. Ya know we worry when someone drops out of site. Glad you seem well and just come back a bit more often.

Sylvia, so sorry about Winnie the Poo. Which one did it???? OMG all of us with dogs have been there/done that. ROFLMAO

Joyce, gosh it's so good to hear that you had a better day....both of you. Have as happy an anniversary as you can. Know we are all sending our love and prayers.

Lisa, sounds good. Hope he/she works out.

I had Line Dancing class for the first time in a few weeks, as the instructor was out for surgery. We danced for a bit over 2 hours and I was wiped out. It's great exercise and the ladies are nice so I'll keep going, but I feel like such a doofus. I just can't seem to remember all the steps to most of the dances.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a 20-40-60 workout on the treadmill. That's where you go at 3.5mph for 1 min, 4mph for 1 min, 4.5mph for 40 sec, 5mph for 20 sec. The plan for tomorrow is to take our aluminum to the humane society and then take the deep water class. I need to stop at Food Lion on the way home (or maybe before class depending if there are things on sale at Bi-Lo that I need to get before the class.

Exercised, then went to Sams to get some veges to take to Mexican Train. I tell you, people don't want to eat healthy, so I'm not going to take as much. I have some veges beft over (but I'll eat them so that's OK). Then went to WalMart, then home to have breakfast then in the pool, then powerwashed a bit more on the driveway. Went to Mexican Train tonight. Really, I didn't have anything to eat there, and I'm thinking that I won't have much if anything. I have dinner at home, I'll just have a bigger dinner, that's all.

Welcome everyone new, and especially to those returning. You know what an awesome place this is, so glad to have you back

Gloria - so sorry you fell but glad it wasn't real serious

Linda - woo hoo on that NSV

michelle - great when those pants go down sizes, huh?

janet OKC - many nights (especially lately, I think it has to do with all this warm weather) I wear my compression stockings to bed. Have a great trip

Alison - how very sad for your friend. That's so good of you to be there for her

Heather - thanks for the suggestion of different cheeses.

katla - you mean I can have an assortment of fruits for desert? That would suit me just fine. I'll probably have something else for Vince and if Andy decides to have that, that's his decision. But at least I've given him an alternative. I do pretty good on the power foods, too.

Sylvia - let us know what the plan is for your gd

Miriam - thanks for sharing the story

DeeDee - how great to see you. Where HAVE you been? I'm the same as barbie - I don't always read the newsfeed, but I'm usually in here.

NC Carol - so glad you enjoyed those "brownies" We were just talking about DeeDee!

Joyce - so glad Charlie won't have to go to an acute care place. How wonderful that he remembered your anniversary. BTW - happy anniversary

DJ - trust me, it isn't just dogs who tear things apart....of that I can attest

Well, it's late and I'd better get going.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Lunch with your DH n the studio sounds very nice. :heart: Wonderful NSV at GNC! :flowerforyou: Poor Winnie the Pooh. I wonder which dog helped with the explosion. :wink:

Babs: Oregon has really healthy food and also junk. If you want junk, try Voo-Doo Donuts in Portland. I hope you enjoy your trip. :bigsmile:

Carey: I think I may be jealous of your hot stone massage. :cry: I'd like to hear more about it. :bigsmile;

Miriam: You are a strong individual. I am in awe of your handling of the situation with the two boys in the accident. My nearest and favorite cousin was killed in a similar accident on her 16th birthday. That was 52 years ago and I still grieve her loss. :broken_heart: Susan is lucky you cared enough to help her. :flowerforyou:

VJay from Devon, England: You have come to the right place for support. Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Sue: I'm glad you bumped! You've been missed. :bigsmile:

Becca: I'm sure the shoes were pretty, but "nice" doesn't cause blisters. You were gorgeous! I may have mentioned that before. :bigsmile:

Joyce: Charlie sounds better and they have a good plan for recovery. I am so happy for you! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

We have plans in place for visiting DD at last! Yay! I am so happy to have something concrete to get ready for. DH is even going along. If he backs out, I'll go anyway. He went fishing with a neighbor and neighbor's friend today. They caught two salmon and we have them in the fridge covered with a brine solution to get them ready for smoking. The smoked fish will be divided among the fishermen.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    morning my friends~
    up at 3:45 and my left foot is hurting, so I iced it,but giving it a day off from walking as I dont want to injure it more..have a load of laundry in the wash,already made cupcakes for Jeanette's birthday at work ,forsted and ready to go, and made some blueberry to take up to new hampshire with me.
    the guy that is doing the hardwood floors was supposed to come yesterday and replace boards that are damaged but started sanding, had we known we would have prepared more, Tom sis put plastic up to protect kitchen ,
    but weenie headed floor guy had front door wide open whole time he was here and the air conditioner was running :o geesh
    guess that will happen for a few days, will probably put first coat of stuff on today.. more tomorrow
    Joyce- well all I can say is take everything one day at a time. even an hour at a time.. and know we are all keeping you and Charlie in our prayers
    Pip~ so sorry about winnie the pooh.. love the chairs.... and it will all work out with your surgery... hoping all works out well..
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sitting here at the lake watching the sun rise, listening to the birds. Peaceful and beautiful. Forgot to tell you I had an eye exam Monday and doctor discovered I have macular degeneration. It eventually causes blindness if it continues to progress. My sis two years older has it and had to quit driving a few years ago. I have to start taking some vitamins that right now can only be ordered from an internet web site. I also have an eye test she gave me that I'm supposed to look at each morning. Hopefully it will be a very slow progression and not really cause much problem. Have a good day ladies.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    mv3livxb8kyf.jpg
    So sad. Today Winnie The Poo exploded while we were gone.

lmao!!

Poor Pooh Bear :'( I always knew he was made of "fluff and stuff". It does look as though he hydrated himself by the empty water bottle I see! LOL

Cheri

P.S. Love those chairs!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Sitting here at the lake watching the sun rise, listening to the birds. Peaceful and beautiful. Forgot to tell you I had an eye exam Monday and doctor discovered I have macular degeneration. It eventually causes blindness if it continues to progress.
    I feel for you! My father has late stage macular degeneration and does stupendously well. But he's a fighter just like my mother. He takes a watchmaker's loupe with him wherever he goes and has his computer set up so he can blow up everything on a separate screen and read a few words at a time.

He also had those eye test charts you mention, and as I recall he had them for over a decade before his vision really started to decline. I hope your condition progresses equally slowly. (((hugs)))

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Deedee good to see you post. :drinker:

Alison my wonderful neighbor said something like that too. She has a special needs son and with his difficulties there have been many a time when she had to tell herself take it one hour at a time and keep praying.

I want to stop and again thank you for all your prayers. I feel them.

Katla glad plans are coming together to visit DD.

Janetr sorry about the macular degeneration diagnosis. Have they given you diet and other suggestions to slow the course of the degeneration.

Barbie hope hip is on the mend.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread! I am sorry to note you are unwell, sending you healing thoughts and wishes.
    My August goal was to do 90kms of running and I finished with a 101k. But I have ended up with pain in the side of my shins.
    Aim to start keeping my food and drink journal regularly, along with a 100k running goal.
    Best wishes to all of you.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    good morning all,
    I to take something for macular degeneration.. It is called visual advantage ,and i take it daily..
    went down to see dfil he was a piece of work this morning, his wedding picture on the wall. hey those 2 are on broadway lol
    had scrambled eggs,toast wheaties,coffee, o.j. and milk, then went up and took care of Jean's mom as Jean is at work, and Sean is in new hampshire.. so I did her pills, insulin and breakfast, her lunch is all set and left her my phone numbers if she needed me.
    then home and will take the boys for a walk, then to work at 10:30-6
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My grandfather had macular degeneration and he used a computer that scanned his music pages so he could continue to play. He controlled the rate with a foot pedal and it moved left to right then down the page for him.
  • Gorman12
    Gorman12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'll join in here. I'm 52 yrs old just into this food journaling and a strength and conditioning program for a month now. 5.5 lbs down, weighing 207 lbs and planning on working to a healthy weight, setting sights on 160. Work to be done, planning on 5 lbs a month through the end of this year. I don't count steps, but am trying a strength and conditioning approach. It's kicking my body every time and I realize how weak I am. My daily approach is:
    Track food, keep below 1500 calories per day
    *keep protein on the higher level and carbs on the lower end
    Drink 7-8 glasses of water per day
    Go to strength class 3 x week
    Keep a tight reign on eating out and choice I make at those times
  • bubbex2
    bubbex2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 68 and don't know anyone on here....but I'd like to! I don't need to lose a lot of weight. I was up 15 lbs. which is a lot for me since I have a very small frame. My doctor said I am overdoing the carbs (and boy! is he right!!). I have been on a low carb diet for three weeks and have only lost 4 lbs. I'm very discouraged. I have been doing weight training for 18 years and have recently changed my workouts. I now do circuit training with intervals of walking/running on the treadmill between circuits. I typically workout 3 times a week. I also take CX Core once a week and Yoga once a week.
    I have been logging my meals and exercise daily. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Most days I have been under my calorie limit.
    On a personal note...I have been widowed for four years and I'm now in a wonderfully committed relationship with my soulmate. I have three adult kids, two grands, and had custody of one of them. I live in NC although I am originally from Long Island, NY and Brooklyn, NY. I still think of myself as a Yankee!
    Oh yeah, my name is Nikki.
    I hope I can make some friends on here and also be a friend.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Sharon - awesome ...conrats on the nice looking butt!!

Joyce ((((hugs))))

Hi to all the newbies and everyone else. I have finished company books so now I have time to check in here more often. I do have lots of yard work this month but that is my fun and relaxing for me.

When my kids were going to school I felt September 1st was like starting a new year. Now my kids are 27 & 29 - but I still feel like it is a new year and new beginnings.

August is behind me, I now have 8 months over 100 miles, some I have made 120 - it feels good to be moving and exercising. November 1st curling starts - so some strength training will start now. On top of the yard work I have to do in the next couple months I will also start lifting weights.

September Goals
    -120 miles (15 over 10,000 steps)
    -hand weights and resistance bands daily (while watching TV)
    -trampoline - start at 5 mins - working up to 30 mins.

"Everyday is a new beginning. So just smile ,take a deep breath and start again"

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Well, I did it again. I got so engrossed in reading about everyone's lives that I forgot to stop and type a response. So, I hope you all know that I read about you, and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please accept my apology if I did not offer a personal response.

Pip
    – It sounds like you have a good head on that broken shoulder (sorry, I just had to say that pun). I’m glad you will be able to ride on the trainer, so you can maintain some of your fitness level. And once you are released, I’m sure you will be back to your normal quickly. Just keep that positive attitude, and you can do anything you want. Hugs !

Joyce – It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Happy Anniversary. Keep taking care ! Hugs ! ! !

DJ – don’t give up on line dance. I doubt anyone cares if you stumble sometimes. Besides, laughter is good too.

Janetr – Sorry about your eyes. I hope it was caught soon enough to drag out the progression. Enjoy your sunrise ! // Wow, so many supportive, positive stories. I hope you follow suit.

Tuesdays are Papa John’s pizza night at my house, and I said no again. I made myself grilled ham and cheese on rye and 2/3 of a huge pickle. Win !!! Then I woke up hungry in the middle of the night again, and I was prepared again. The peach was already cut up and in the yogurt, so I just added the handful of crushed frosted flakes and went back to sleep happy and satisfied. I consider that a win, too ! ! !

DS decided he didn’t want to wake up in time for me to drive him to school, so he is either walking or riding his bike. I got to work early, so I could work-out a little, but there was a contractor standing by the door waiting to be let in to change the air filters, and Security was nowhere to be found, so I let him in and called Security. It took them 15 minutes to get someone here, which only left me 4 minutes to work-out, so I missed this mornings’ opportunity. Feeling very frustrated with Security, but thankful that I still plan on walking to Big Lots while DS and DH are at bowling tonight.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Gotta love those kids!

Miriam: You've been through so much - thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Yvonne: 9 lbs.. that's awesome - the scale is moving in the right direction the measurements will reflect that in time. Keep up the great work.

Mary: I love the goal of having fun every week...I think I stole it from Katla But I think she's glad to share. :smile:

Pip: Sheesh...sorry the fix is going to be so complicated. I hope you can have it done sooner than later.

DeeDee: Are you still enjoying retirement or have you already discovered that it's busier than working full time?

Carol in NC: Glad you were able to check in ...what's CRS?

DJ: Line dancing - good for you. I'm sure the steps will come in time at least that's what I'm telling myself about my Tai Chi moves. :bigsmile:

Michelle NC: Having veggies prepped and ready to eat is never a bad thing.

Katla: Try the hot stone massage you'll love it. It's the only thing I've found that can relax my shoulders. My masseuse told me she was opening up her calendar on Sept 8th and I should drop in to book my appointments. I have to book a year in advance in order to get in. Good thing she's good at what she does!

JanetR: Sorry to hear about your eyesight.

Lillian: Congrats on making that 100 miles in August and getting the company books done. cheer.gif

welcome.gif Welcome to all the newbies - glad to have ya!

Spent a lot of time yesterday trying to find a campsite that still had vacancies for the long weekend. Finally found one.. whew!

I was able to connect with a friend that I haven't talked to for about 4 years. It took some major investigative work since she changed jobs and her phone # isn't listed. We'll have lunch next week before she goes on a trip to Germany.

Goals for September:

1. Log all meals

2.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Camping with the folks (last one of the season)
    • W2:
    • W3:
    • W4:
    3. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes or maintain gym workouts 3 times a week.
    4. Resurrect Monthly Menu Planning and cook some dang meals!

Carey in Edmonton
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just saw the weirdest thing! I have a hummingbird feeder outside my window so I can watch it while I am on the computer. I also have shelves for the kitties halfway up the window. Just now the hummingbird finished at the feeder, then came over to the window and fluttered in front of it while looking at the cat!