Throwing in the towel

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm only half way where I need to be for a healthy weight and would answer no to all of @ninerbuff's questions. I'm inconsistent and he's right. I've hit a point (at least for the last 6 months or so) where the output required to lose weight seems not worth it. Mostly, I'm just so busy and stressed out that dieting is making me a crazy b!tch.

Yeah, I know. It's not a diet it's a life change. But when your life is super hectic maybe that isn't the best time for a life change. Like, I wouldn't change my kids daycare when we moved since they were already stressed out from leaving our house.

Maybe you need some time to reassess. Or, even better just some time to not think about it. I needed time not to log every morsel that went into my donut hole. I felt better and much less stressed. Yes, I gained 12 lbs back. It's ok. I'm not giving up on losing the weight but sometimes your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

If you are going down a path you don't like maybe it's time to try a different path. You can always make a u-turn if you need to.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As I got to my goal of 185 I started to tweak the numbers and went down to 173 lbs. It was then that people thought I was "going to far" so I loosened up and got back to 195. I have been in the 185 area but "feel" that 175 to 180 is my sweet spot, anything above that beer gut starts to show again. So I get that you are sick of maintaining but this takes constant monitoring of weight to see when further action is required. I did quit logging calories because I felt that I was re-trained on how to eat.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    To me it's just as simple as asking yourself whether or not your happy where you are right now or not. If yes, then just maintain, you've clearly come a long way. If your not happy, then just keep going.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ages ago I read a comment from someone who was working with a trainer to lose a large amount of weight, and the trainer instructed her to stop and maintain for a week (or whatever) at every 10-pound mark (or some other marker). I thought that was smart, because it would give your brain time to catch up and you'd get a break from a deficit (which can make you feel really tired, mentally and physically, after a while), and also you'd see the number of calories needed to be that weight and get a feel for whether it was a weight/calorie level where you'd be happy.
    If you're tired of eating at a deficit, just eat at maintenance for a while. What have you got to lose?

I think the phrase "throwing in the towel" is throwing a lot of people off, including me. From that phrase, I assumed you meant you were going to stop logging and go hog wild because you just couldn't be bothered to care anymore. I don't think that's what you're saying.

And your progress is nothing short of incredible. Really--utter respect for what you've done.
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what YOU feel is right for you. You have done a great job, I hope I do as well. I think the personally. You need to make that decision for yourself. You will do the right thing!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    When did you guys decide you were finished with weight loss/gain? Was it when you reached your goal? Did you get sick and tired of eating at a deficit/surplus?

I'm mentally ready to be done with weight loss, just looking to see how other people did it and why.
    arditarose wrote: »
    My 130's were a constant struggle. I wanted 130 and gave up initially at 133 because I just could not care about those last 3 pounds anymore. I was sooooo tired of a deficit. I tried a recomp instead, and I wasn't patient enough for that either. Now 5 weeks into a deficit, I'm not losing and I might give up again.

I would hate to see either of you give up. You really have inspired me! Thank you!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Ages ago I read a comment from someone who was working with a trainer to lose a large amount of weight, and the trainer instructed her to stop and maintain for a week (or whatever) at every 10-pound mark (or some other marker). I thought that was smart, because it would give your brain time to catch up and you'd get a break from a deficit (which can make you feel really tired, mentally and physically, after a while), and also you'd see the number of calories needed to be that weight and get a feel for whether it was a weight/calorie level where you'd be happy.
    If you're tired of eating at a deficit, just eat at maintenance for a while. What have you got to lose?

I think the phrase "throwing in the towel" is throwing a lot of people off, including me. From that phrase, I assumed you meant you were going to stop logging and go hog wild because you just couldn't be bothered to care anymore. I don't think that's what you're saying.

And your progress is nothing short of incredible. Really--utter respect for what you've done.

I thought "throwing in the towel" meant to quit, at least that's what it meant in the 1970s. It may look like I'm going back to being a sedentary glutton because my diary numbers are red, but I'm still logging and weighing. I do have an upper weight limit to pull back from (160), even with water weight gain I'd have to make serious inroads on a daily basis to get there.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Throwing in the towel usually means you're disappointed with results versus the effort you're putting in. Usually when I felt like throwing in the towel, I just questioned myself and answered honestly:

Have I really been 100%?
    Did I really do everything right?
    Have I really been consistent?
    Have I attempted different approaches to help?

If I can answer yes to all of those with honesty, then I guess I could be justified in throwing in the towel if no results happened while doing them. If not, then it's not time to throw in the towel.

Since my answer to all 4 is no, now what? Start doing things I don't like to get the results I think I want?
    You try doing all 4 right with commitment first. I say try it for at least 2 weeks. Then if you don't see any changes, make adjustments.
    You're saying go back to the beginning, to push myself into doing things I dislike - weight lifting, different meal timings, being hungry/hangry, eat at a "real" deficit (not -250 cals), etc.? I stopped doing many of those things because I was turning into a person I hated. I started down an ED path that I prefer not to see again.

There's a big difference in knowing how much my physical appearance can be changed without surgical intervention and what will "snap back" in a few years.

Only you can know what you want to do.
    If you want to continue losing weight, follow ninerbuff's advice or something similar. If you don't, that's fine too. It isn't up to anyone here to decide if you have lost "enough" weight or not. You can decide which option makes you happier. Also, no decision is final. There is nothing wrong with maintaining for a while and then deciding down the line that you want to lose more. But doing things half-assed probably isn't going to make you happy. You will be disappointed with the results, but still feel like you are doing all this work. It doesn't matter what your decision is, but make a decision and stick with it for a while, whether it is lose weight or maintain.

^^ this is great advice.
  • TracyCatPatrick
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel...unless its just going into the dryer.

Be that beautiful person who doesn't know how to quit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had hit my goal and it seemed like a good time. Go for it. You can always lose more later if you change your mind.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Never. I will always do some sort of maintenance/eating at a deficit. If I get complacent the weight comes back so I have to do this for the rest of my life. I'm okay with that. I shake it up enough to keep it interesting. I'll eat at maintenance for awhile, then drop calories. I'm always shaking up my workouts. Right now I'm doing more cardio than weight lifting. When I get tired of that I'll switch to more weight lifting and less cardio.

If there's one thing I've learned its that you're never "done". You always have to be vigilant. If you're not, you'll be like the people you read in the forums who are back for the second, third and fourth time to do it all over again because the weight came back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »

I thought "throwing in the towel" meant to quit, at least that's what it meant in the 1970s. It may look like I'm going back to being a sedentary glutton because my diary numbers are red, but I'm still logging and weighing. I do have an upper weight limit to pull back from (160), even with water weight gain I'd have to make serious inroads on a daily basis to get there.
    "Throwing in the towel" means to quit. Started with boxing I believe where corner men or trainers "threw in the towel" if their boxer was getting a beating and probably wouldn't recover.

The options I gave were precisely for the reason of people wanting to quit because of lack or little results from effort seemingly put in.

I never want to see anyone quit if they haven't reached goal, so sometimes just reassessing the actions I mentioned above let's them look objectively if quitting is because of being tired of it or if they aren't succeeding in what I mentioned.

I sold vaccums door to door on straight commission for 12 years. Trust that there were many many times that I thought "I'm doing all this work, but I'm not making any money". But I was taught the method above. If I applied myself for one month being 100% and got no results, I'd be justified in quitting. Well every time I did, I had a great month.

I think we just get tired of the monotony, and truthfully that's why I've always gone with moderation for weight loss for ALL my clients because I don't want them to burn out on diet programs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For over 2 years maintaining, yes I sometimes get very sick of logging, refusing to over-eat, etc. And yeah you can always just "throw in the towel", but before you decide thinking back (way back if you must), the long journey it took you to get to this weight in the first place, I'm sure it's something you don't want to do again.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    For over 2 years maintaining, yes I sometimes get very sick of logging, refusing to over-eat, etc. And yeah you can always just "throw in the towel", but before you decide thinking back (way back if you must), the long journey it took you to get to this weight in the first place, I'm sure it's something you don't want to do again.

But you didn't become fit overnight and you won't become obese overnight either. Sometimes taking a break is necessary to come back with a healthy mind. I tend to allow myself to do so every now and again - wash up and start again the following day.

The thought that I'd wake up back on my old weight was a nightmare that kept creeping up on me when I was trying to maintain. It's good to remember that you've picked healthy habits along the way - the consistency and the fact that I've made a habit of weighing myself means we're able to control "the damage" way before it's reached worrying level ;)
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    and what will "snap back" in a few years.

What does this mean?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused about where you are at . Have you lost the weight you needed to lose and just want to relax now or do you still have some way to go. If hte latter, I can offer help but if you are ready to just coast along having been diligent in reaching your goal, then all i'd say is be careful you don't fall back into bad old ways.

If you are merely sick of logging, great. You can't be expected to log yoru food for hte rest of your life. That's a bad plan.

I'm in maintenance, have recently stopped food diarising. Haven't done much actually logging all along my journey becuase its too tiresome.

But if you need help, because you have still some way to go then i'm your gal. Pm me as i may not get back here. MFP forum doesn't really make it easy to revisit threads. You need to be extra motivated to get back and check.

But as someone who has spent a lot of time in depression over the years I probably understand some of your issues. I am certainly with you as regards exercise. I do it now of course but most of my journey i did not do it and i will stop anytime i'm sick of it except now i've got a dog so i can't really do absolutely nothing as i used. But the gym - never!
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When did you guys decide you were finished with weight loss/gain? Was it when you reached your goal? Did you get sick and tired of eating at a deficit/surplus?

I'm mentally ready to be done with weight loss, just looking to see how other people did it and why.

My two cents: long term weight loss maintenance is not a nutritional issue. Long term weight loss maintenance is a behavioral issue. It is a matter of self-control.
    People who succeed in losing weight have all the information they need (nutrition and portion control) to keep it off, but they often don't have the wisdom to use that information. Keeping a food diary works for me as a "moral reminder" (I think that is the term used in psychology). In essence, keeping a food diary nudges my self-control. BTW I wing it (I measure by volume, I eyeball it etc.).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Awhile back I had a client who had a frustrating day and told me she was ready to quit (she had about 30lbs left to lose). At this point she lost 100lbs. I consoled her and asked her to do me a favor. I grabbed a pair of 50lb dumbells and put them in her hands and told her to just walk across the room with them and back. She thought it was part of the workout. When she put them down I asked her if that was hard or not and she replied in an expletive. Then I reminded her that almost a year ago, that's how she felt everyday.
    She kissed me on the cheek, called me an expletive name, smiled and said, "Okay I get it, let's get to work now".

She ended up reaching goal (this past April), had some surgery to remove loose skin and is in the best shape of her life.

It'll happen. Just not when you throw in the towel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Throwing in the towel usually means you're disappointed with results versus the effort you're putting in. Usually when I felt like throwing in the towel, I just questioned myself and answered honestly:

Have I really been 100%?
    Did I really do everything right?
    Have I really been consistent?
    Have I attempted different approaches to help?

If I can answer yes to all of those with honesty, then I guess I could be justified in throwing in the towel if no results happened while doing them. If not, then it's not time to throw in the towel.

Since my answer to all 4 is no, now what? Start doing things I don't like to get the results I think I want?
    You try doing all 4 right with commitment first. I say try it for at least 2 weeks. Then if you don't see any changes, make adjustments.
    You're saying go back to the beginning, to push myself into doing things I dislike - weight lifting, different meal timings, being hungry/hangry, eat at a "real" deficit (not -250 cals), etc.? I stopped doing many of those things because I was turning into a person I hated. I started down an ED path that I prefer not to see again.

There's a big difference in knowing how much my physical appearance can be changed without surgical intervention and what will "snap back" in a few years.

Why bother?
    I mean, do you want to rant or really seeking help or trying to say people using MPF are stupid?
    Why did you ask if do not need any help?
    We're a happy bunch and motivate each other.