What food do you avoid as its not worth the calories and/or fat content

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Crap. Now I want Swiss cheese. I love the stuff.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm Sicilian too. I use small amounts of olive oil in cooking and I make homemade whole wheat rolls using olive oil as the included fat. The doctor says it is good for me in moderation so I keep using it, just making sure to measure it. Cooking veggies and stuff with *no* oil results in them burning, anyway. :X But pasta.... well, I tried whole wheat pasta. I thought it was gross. I basically have just given up on pasta, even if Grandma and Grandpa Piccirillo and LaRocca are spinning in their graves. What would be the point of just eating two bites? (I'm prediabetic, so greater restrictions here.)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any foods due to calorie or fat content alone. However I choose not to eat caloric dense foods with little to no nutritional value, save for an occasional treat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Crap. Now I want Swiss cheese. I love the stuff.

Fairly certain I could eat only swiss cheese and be happy for the rest of my life. I went to Paris this one time when I was near my heaviest... it changed me forever regarding what I'd say actually tastes good. I should post pictures on my profile. They'd be good "before" pictures.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's things that I'd say are NEVER worth the calories, but there are things that I used to eat (nearly) every day without thinking twice, that now I surely don't think are worth making daily room for:

donuts
    regular coke or mountain dew
    mocha lattes
    rice
    pasta
    reduced fat cheese
    bagels
    muffins
    cookies
    ice cream/blizzards/shakes

And here's the things I WILL MAKE FIT every single day if I gosh darn want to:
    wine
    high quality chocolate
    4% cottage cheese
    eggs
    swiss cheese
    butter on vegetables
    I want to kiss you, that is my dream food list right there! I might send hubby to crack me open a bottle of wine lol
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hmmm? I haven't really cut out anything completely but I don't have certain things very often due to the high calorie content.

I use to eat a lot of the following but now I just have them every so often as a treat:

1. Coke
    2. Ice cream
    3. Popcorn
    4. In-N-Out Burger
    5. Burritos
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Anything too carby (my carbs come from whole fat dairy or veggies) or anything sugary. They trigger a binge episode so I stay away from them.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I also stay away from foods that are labeled "low fat" but aren't naturally low fat. When I read "low fat" I think 'chemical *kitten* storm.' Just not for me. BRING ON ALL THE FAT!
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - mainly because it messes with my blood sugar and makes me feel hungrier.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - mainly because it messes with my blood sugar and makes me feel hungrier.

Yeah, this too. One of my least favorite sacrifices. I love a good alcohol buzz! Oh well, I'll have a drink on occasion. And I'm sure my liver is delighted with the current dry spell.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories of any kind

Me too. I no longer drink my calories. Water for me works just fine.
  • placidegirl
    placidegirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    Any kind of Oil. Other then using it to fry food, it has no taste to me. A salad with just vinegar taste the same to me as a salad with oil and vinegar. I actually do not even like the feeling on my lips i get from oil on a salad.

Yeah I stopped using oil in my dressings and can't tell the difference. I only use it to sautee/roast stuff now (it does make a difference, even if you only use a little bit).

Ironically, OP says Mayo is not worth the calories, but to me, Mayo is the only food item that needs oil to taste good. I dont like fat free or even light mayo. I would rather use a thin coat of real mayo then a thick coat of light or fat free.

And i can not eat a BLT or turkey club sandwich without mayo.

yip, it really is to each his own - I love all the varied answers, and (as was my point in posting) I've gained a few extra tricks to tweak my daily foods and still eat well. As for me, I dont eat fat free or low fat anything tbh - they all taste like cardboard. But mayo is just too greasy for me to feel like its worth it - I'll eat cheese to a band playing mind you ;-)
  • placidegirl
    placidegirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's things that I'd say are NEVER worth the calories, but there are things that I used to eat (nearly) every day without thinking twice, that now I surely don't think are worth making daily room for:

donuts
    regular coke or mountain dew
    mocha lattes
    rice
    pasta
    reduced fat cheese
    bagels
    muffins
    cookies
    ice cream/blizzards/shakes

And here's the things I WILL MAKE FIT every single day if I gosh darn want to:
    wine
    high quality chocolate
    4% cottage cheese
    eggs
    swiss cheese
    butter on vegetables
    I want to kiss you, that is my dream food list right there! I might send hubby to crack me open a bottle of wine lol

me too - soulmates without ever having met haha
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Poptarts. Oh man I would start nibbling the edges and then slide the pieces apart, eat the pastry side first and then the frosted. I would be so impatient I would microwave them instead of toasting.
    -Ranch or other bottled dressings on my salads, (ok to dip an edge of a sandwich in from time to time.)
    -Fruit juices
    -Wine, I tried to like them but even moscato after one glass I'm done. Give me a tequila a Sprite Zero if I must have alcohol.
    -Donuts, never liked them, filled or not. However, made homemade ones for a family competition and those were amazing. Like eating fried sweet bread.
    -Gelato and fancy ice creams with all the fillings. At this point I'm missing being fat because I do miss Caramel Collision and eating without caring.
    -Bagels with cream cheese
    -Most tortillas on the market, really 300+ for something I can find at 90? Same could be said about restaurant breads
    - Full-sized candy bars
    - Cow's milk, unless making pudding
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Regular soda.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Coffee, because the only way I like it is with lots of sugary flavored creamer or cream and sugar. Then I'm down at least 200 calories and hungry to boot. No thanks!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Most junk food. Soda (never really drank), alcohol (and for other reasons), juice, milk shakes
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bagels.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I read this whole thread and thought hard about my answer. There are a lot of choices I make that probably answer the original question but the number one food I avoid now is french fries. I love them so much and can't just eat a few and they are so hard to log. I live in Chicago and there are a lot of "hot dog" places. A hot dog can easily fit into my daily calories but a BASKET of fries, not so much. And even if I wanted to eat them and log them, I have NO IDEA how many calories there are in that basket of deliciousness. Fried and salty…uh oh. Now I want some!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Rice, donuts, and onion rings.