What food do you avoid as its not worth the calories and/or fat content

Options

Replies

• oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I read this whole thread and thought hard about my answer. There are a lot of choices I make that probably answer the original question but the number one food I avoid now is french fries. I love them so much and can't just eat a few and they are so hard to log. I live in Chicago and there are a lot of "hot dog" places. A hot dog can easily fit into my daily calories but a BASKET of fries, not so much. And even if I wanted to eat them and log them, I have NO IDEA how many calories there are in that basket of deliciousness. Fried and salty…uh oh. Now I want some!

Oh, I hear ya on the fries! I swear I have a french fry disorder! And logging them...good grief. Easier to just give them up ;)

Other foods I tend to avoid are pasta, rice (I just don't like them), potatoes, tortilla shells, creamer, nearly all dressings, sauces and condiments (I really dislike them anyway, with the exception of mustard and relish) and I'm working on cutting out alcohol.

Okay, let's be serious, I'm working on cutting back on alcohol :D
  • lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Soul food, even though it makes my soul happy :(
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I read this whole thread and thought hard about my answer. There are a lot of choices I make that probably answer the original question but the number one food I avoid now is french fries. I love them so much and can't just eat a few and they are so hard to log. I live in Chicago and there are a lot of "hot dog" places. A hot dog can easily fit into my daily calories but a BASKET of fries, not so much. And even if I wanted to eat them and log them, I have NO IDEA how many calories there are in that basket of deliciousness. Fried and salty…uh oh. Now I want some!

I'm in Chicago too. Gene and Jude's is worth it once in a while. Fries right up on the dog... yes please!

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Soda (taking 150 calories from 1,400 is not worth it, I'd rather eat them) and ranch dressing (sparingly).
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Potato chips have become a thing of the past - I've found flavored rice crisps or those chiplike savory biscuits have much less calories and taste way better!
    Softdrink and juice - also not worth it.
    Really missing my homemade nachos but to have them how I want them.... it's just not worth it :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nothing, I eat what I want, I just go work it off, I indulge in all.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Most bread. I used to eat toast all the time for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Now I save bread only for special occasions

I was kind of surprised how many calories were in bread but when I looked at cutting it out I realized without it I wasn't eating enough calories around lunch time.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Soda, fancy coffee drinks, most creamy/heavy condiments & dressings (easy for me to skip since I don't like most of them anyways).

I was always a huge soda guy, I recently picked up a Soda stream and it's like magic. I don't add any flavors to the carbonated water and I find that it satisfies the "drink something other than water" craving I always have... with 0 calories and no added chemicals (besides the CO2 I guess).
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Juice -- too many calories and it doesn't fill me up. I'd rather eat a piece of fruit. The only time I have it is when I'm sick.

Just about any breakfast pastry -- donuts, muffins, danish, etc. 500 calories for pure carb and I'd be hungry in an hour. I'd rather have yogurt and fruit or a poached egg and toast.

Any of those fancy coffees at Starbucks or Dunkin's. Most of them are 300 calories +. Basically, that's what I eat in calories for lunch. Also, they're so expensive!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I tend more to avoid foods that have ridiculous amounts of sodium, like canned soups, some frozen meals, some restaurant foods, etc. Everything else I've learned to just eat the real stuff in moderation (portion control was what I needed to learn).
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, specifically mixed drinks or hard liquor. Not only does it have a ridiculous amount of calories but I make really bad food choices when I drink. (Well, bad choices overall but that's a story for another thread.)
  • rockmama72
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Alcohol, specifically mixed drinks or hard liquor. Not only does it have a ridiculous amount of calories but I make really bad food choices when I drink. (Well, bad choices overall but that's a story for another thread.)

Proud mama of a third (late-in-life) baby made by Jack Daniels :-)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Nothing, but..... There's always a but,
    I love fru fru cocktails; hate the bloat they give me, so I save then for on a cruise when I am bloated from travel, salt, and general water retention anyway.

Also I have found my taste buds haven't kept up with my imagination with regards to all things rich sweet and stuffed with cream- I could cry with disappointment with that one.

Rockmama72, what was the baby named? I would have been so tempted.

Cheers, h.
  • rockmama72
    Options
    Nothing, but..... There's always a but,
    I love fru fru cocktails; hate the bloat they give me, so I save then for on a cruise when I am bloated from travel, salt, and general water retention anyway.

Also I have found my taste buds haven't kept up with my imagination with regards to all things rich sweet and stuffed with cream- I could cry with disappointment with that one.

Rockmama72, what was the baby named? I would have been so tempted.

Cheers, h.

She's a girl, and I already have a Jack! :-)
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Honestly, for what you get, you could eat almost anything else and get the same nutrients at far less calories.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I could not believe my eyes when I plugged in a SMALL DQ dipped cone. 330 calories!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    seabee78 wrote: »
    I could not believe my eyes when I plugged in a SMALL DQ dipped cone. 330 calories!

Those tiny little things? What do they make them out of, frozen Crisco?
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    shrcpr wrote: »

Proud mama of a third (late-in-life) baby made by Jack Daniels :-)

LOL. That Jack is a devil.
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bread, rice, pasta, coffee creamer. I don't eat any regularly, but have them when I want and they fit my caloric budget. Otherwise they're not worth the calories or the lack of nutritional value.