What food do you avoid as its not worth the calories and/or fat content

Options

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Potato Chips. I can't just eat one. I'm usually not satified until 1/2 the bag is in my belly.

Yes, I forgot to add potato chips to my list. Remember the old Lays (I think) commercial -- "Bet you can't eat just one"... Well as Kristen said, that's me too. Not just one or two or even twenty. More like one of those huge bags over two days. ugh. So they just don't come into my house.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Potato Chips. I can't just eat one. I'm usually not satified until 1/2 the bag is in my belly.

Yes, I forgot to add potato chips to my list. Remember the old Lays (I think) commercial -- "Bet you can't eat just one"... Well as Kristen said, that's me too. Not just one or two or even twenty. More like one of those huge bags over two days. ugh. So they just don't come into my house.

You think those are bad, I swear to all that is healthy in the grocery aisle, the gluten free and/or vegan specialty chips have crack cocaine in them. They're about ten times harder for me to put down than any of the big brand chips. Probably it's quality ingredients (they aren't cheap, either!) but it's still calories and cravings I don't need.
  • westminstersociety
    Options
    I have always replaced water with soda, even when I was little. Luckily for me I was never an overweight kid, but metabolism obviously slows down and I gained a tonne of weight. So I avoid drinking soda now and just stick to water, I also don't eat takeaway and I don't eat chips/fries at all. It's nice not spending money on takeaway, you save so much.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Overly rich desserts, pastries and sugar sweetened drinks.

But there are many, many things I eat rarely because of calorie content. I don't really care about fat content, other than its effect on calories.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd say the extra 200-300 calories from eating 2-3 servings of ice cream several times a week for the past 20 years, on top of the sandwich bread from 2-3 sandwiches I'd regularly have between meals, both had just as much to do with my slow and steady weight gain as anything else. Sandwich bread has been the biggest "rarely worth it" for me and I have cut it out almost entirely. Ice cream, on the other hand, I've found that I'm actually satisfied with half of a serving (40 or so grams) and can easily fit that amount in almost every day.
  • jaxjackjackie
    jaxjackjackie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mochas (now I only have 1 a month as an EOM treat)
    Sugar in my tea/coffee
    Pasta (since I've discovered zuchinni noodles I don't even miss it though)
    White rice
    White potato
    Milk (except for that once a month mocha)
    Cereal (the ones I like are too sugary and the ones that are okay taste like cardboard)
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    white flour products like bread and pasta. substituted for whole grains
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,820 Member
    Options
    I've gotten much more picky about desserts. If there's an unusual dessert at a restaurant that you won't find anywhere else, I will get that (like some sort of exotic fruit tart or unusual ice cream flavor, like cinnamon or ginger). But if it's chocolate cake or vanilla ice cream, for example, I figure I can get those any time, so I lose interest.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    I haven't necessarily eliminated anything because that isn't sustainable for me, for life; just while trying to lose weight but if I don't have these foods occasionally, then I know that I'll binge twice as bad; when I reach my goal weight because I'd eventually bring those foods, back into my life; so I have to keep them in & instead learn how to moderate, my intake; of them.
  • nancyobrien5036
    Options
    Chocolate. I just have no control. :-(
  • lakshva
    lakshva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Juices, sauces, ice cream, chocolates, deep fried food...
    And Rice. I'm always hungry after eating rice.
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and my favorite fast food items. I still eat the fast food once and awhile, but am now getting the options with less calories, and less food all together.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Juice and pasta!! usually i have these items on a cheat day!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Evilbad wrote: »
    Those sugary coffee drinks that are really just dessert in a cup.

OF THIS TOO!! I really sugar filled drink!!
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocados. I like and eat both, but very sparingly, as I get plenty of fat from other foods such as fish and eggs. I need a lot of protein, and it seems like most yummy sources of protein have additional fats.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Sweets. Although I like sweets, I'm more of a salty, crunchy person so if I'm going to splurge, I'd rather have chips or something like that. Sweets although they taste good, really don't do anything for me. lol
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm surprised that people think rice and bread has a lot of calories not worth having. 1/4 a cup of brown rice is 150 calories, and with 4 oz of fish, 85 g of broccoli, and 50 g of iceberg lettuce, I get a solid 282 calorie lunch. If you search carefully, you can find decent bread that has 120 calories for TWO slices. With some lettuce and one serving of canned tuna, I get a 180 calorie sandwich. In other words, bread and rice aren't going away anytime soon.
    Now my list of what's not worth it:
    1) The worst of junk food ( cheetos, generic candy, etc.) I only snack of pretzels, popcorn, and jello these days.
    2) Poptarts (replaced with Special K pastry crisps)
    3) Drinks with calories, though I do add protein powder to my water for a pre-workout energy boost. It's been years, and I don't miss calorie-filled drinks at all.
    4) Fast food and restaurant foods. I never liked eating out much because it's always more expensive in the long run and because I grew up on my mom's wonderful home meals, so making a switch to just eating home meals was nothing to me. The health benefits of making my own meals are a great bonus.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have switched out some of my sandwich cheese slices for applesauce. I don't even have that much cheese daily, but I figured... since the bread slices already come up to a pretty high calorie count, I could sometimes have applesauce instead of cheese. And I actually REALLY enjoy it, I didn't think it would go so well with my sandwiches.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Probably bread. Not that I have anything against it. For me bread is always a vehicle for a pile of butter, or mayo, or peanut butter. Or dipping oils. Or soaking up sauces. Or sodium laden deli meats/cheese. And so, I rarely eat it.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I decided to cut the peanut butter. It was my trigger food. A couple tablespoons and I was into half the jar. Have not tried PB2 yet but it has intrigued me. But I am afraid I would consume the whole thing. So I haven't ventured that yet.