Struggling

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm
    Eating less than 900 calories a day I use too eat well over 2500 no joke!!

?
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

[/quote]More likely, they'll simply be incapable of exercising moderation and discretion in a world that you can't bubble wrap for them because they never developed those abilities.
    [/quote]

I politely disagree. If they develop a taste for healthy foods as kids, they will carry those healthy habits into their adulthood.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    More likely, they'll simply be incapable of exercising moderation and discretion in a world that you can't bubble wrap for them because they never developed those abilities.
    [/quote]

I politely disagree. If they develop a taste for healthy foods as kids, they will carry those healthy habits into their adulthood.

[/quote]

Do you have children? Easier said then done. I understand where you are coming from but thinking all you have to do is feed your kids healthy food and it's all they want to eat is not real world living. Moderation is a better approach.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

We've seen the epic fail of helicopter parenting and insulating children from any chance of failure, but if you think that's the kind of approach that will leave them well prepared to deal with a world full of temptations, they're your kids so it's your call.

It's an n=1, but you might read about Todd Marinovich. His dad had similar ideas to yours.

• candygibbons26
    candygibbons26 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I let my children eat crisp in moderation I'm
    Not going too deprive them of normal things that kids eat they are healthy and eat in moderation did your parents deprive you of crisp you said they will be where I am in years too come are you not here for the same reason ?
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    And no
    That's not true atal my parents bought me up on healthy foods not junk as I got older it was my decision too try these things we are human beings not aliens I don't know one child that don't eat crisp in moderation
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    And I'm
    Trying too do
    The calories I really am trying I'm on metformin medication for my pcos and side effects are sickness and lack of appetite it's difficult losing weight with pcos :(
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what you expect people to say. Unfortunately you have 3 choices - either you summon up the willpower to only eat crisps in moderation - or you never eat crisps - or you eat too many crisps and ruin your deficit and don't lose the weight you want to.
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    Erm just wanted the people out here too keep me strong and keep me motivated as I have no one else too keep me motivated
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is way too low. Have some crisps.
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    My calorie intake is low because of the lack of hunger and appetite due too my medication that I'm on for my pcos I'm trying really hard
  • suziecue20
    Options
    Yes I know its hard and I didn't mean to be brutal but facts are facts. Having said that I'm sure you really want to lose weight so why not try just taking things a day at a time. I don't know how old your children are but could you not get them to help you - make it a game that Mummy is only allowed 1 small packet of crisps a day and if she is naughty and has 3 or 4 packets she has to pay forfeit - just an idea. I know you can do it :)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If crisps are a trigger food then I say stay away until you can stop eating them after a single serving. You will learn to do that over time. But it takes time.I think the big problem though is you're not eating enough calories to begin with. I don't think 900 calories a day is realistic, you may be setting yourself up for failure. You shouldn't have to torture yourself to lose weight. Good luck, remember, "slow and steady wins the race." :smile:
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    No it's fine I like brutal lol and my kids are 2 and 8 and I've already told them
    If you see me going too the cuboard for junk food then pull me away and grab me a apple hehe she said the other day mum if you eat chocolate I'm going too mske you go on your exercise bike for 2 hours well that's enough for anyone not too
    Touch it hehe
  • candygibbons26
    Options
    Thanks farmer pam yeah it's best too
    Stay away as I can't just have one once I get that taste that will be it !!! Lol so i would rather not go there it's just the little cravings I get but I keep
    Occupied and I just forget about it and move on
  • suziecue20
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ouch!!! edit - re the 2 hours on bike lol
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My family and I eat healthy. That said: they are kids and deserve a little treat now and then too. My solutions have been 1. Try to purchase individually packaged items...it slows the feeding frenzy and 2. Stock up on sandwich/snack bags...that way when the chips/cookies come in LARGE quantities you can separate them out immediately so a snack is just that: A SNACK.
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pirate Booty!! Quantity and crunch and taste!
  • suziecue20
    Options
    I recognise you have an appetite problem for non-junk but can you think of any particular food [not junk] that you really enjoy and could make more use of to bunk up your calorie intake a tad? I mean a "naked" chicken breast is not the most appetising [bland imo] but when you use them in stews, casseroles, with sauces etc., they become delicious.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    @candygibbons26 I have also struggled with appetite while taking Metformin. I truly understand how hard it can be to eat with that medication. Thankfully after about 8 weeks my appetite seems to be normalizing once again. I still have off days though where the medication really interferes with eating.

I love chips (crisps for you in the UK) and have them probably once a month or so. I have to actually weigh out the serving and then put the bag away. It works for me, but I realize that we all have those foods that are just easier to avoid. Honestly, the thing that has worked for me the most is looking at my weight loss to this point and realizing that I've worked too hard to let this bag of chips stand in my way now.

Good luck to you. You can do it!

And I completely agree with you--kids need to have foods in moderation. The answer to healthy eating isn't purging your home of less healthy options. I have two young boys myself (5 and 6) and they eat chips and other things that I don't really eat. They are healthy growing boys who are active and at healthy weights. I don't allow them to have as much of things as they want, obviously. I portion them out. So if you want to choose a small bag of fruit snacks for your snack, that's fine. But you get ONE and if you are still hungry, then you should have made a more filling choice. So I am teaching them about which sorts of foods to pick to feel satisfied but I want them to learn about moderation too. I think that's the best approach.