October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Another HM question, This one isn't trivial..

Looking up how to properly carb-load over the three days before a race, it is suggested that I consume 7-10g of carbs per kg of body weight. (125/2.2 means I'm about 57kg X 7 is about 400g of carbs each day=1600 calories). This suggestion is more than my total calorie allotment of 1450/day.

Runner's World suggested 85-90% of my calories come from healthy carbs... This puts me about 300g of carbs per day... Would this be the most appropriate approach?

Any experience?

I don't think 85-90% carbs is really doable if you're only eating 1450-1600 a day, because then you're getting basically no fat or protein. I usually aim for 60-70% so I can still eat real food, and even then I ate over 2000 calories because I ran that day. I think if you stick to 300 or more for the two or three days leading up to the race, you'll have lots of carbs loaded :)

Also is 1450 your cal allotment at a deficit? If so, if you adjust for maintenance calories, you can eat more carbs leading up to the race.

When carb loading, usually you have to reduce your fat and protein intake those 2 or 3 days to maintain your maitenance level of calories.

60% carbs 20% fat 20% protein is actually what many sports nutritionist experts recommend as the normal every day diet for runners. Between 40/30/30 and 60/20/20 is the acceptable range. But it depends on your indivudual needs as the link below suggests. But carb loading requires much higher percentage of carbs.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/photos/10-biggest-sports-nutrition-myths_29425

^^^ Funny, the very next slide says It's not necessary to carb load before races. lol

I am fairly "low" carb across the board- I'll happily take 2-3 days of pushing the carb boundaries even if it's completely unnecessary. It's pretty much a happy excuse to eat bread for once.

Although- being said_ i felt much better on my last "long" run (long for me is still short for you- but to me it's long LOL)- other than being dark outside- I really felt like I plowed right through my miles- and even around mile 9 I remember thinking- damn- i feel really good about all this!

so- placebo- or unrequired- I'll happily take it!!! :D
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've never measured before, so no idea how many miles I can run in a month. I'm doing a 5k on Sunday and hope to keep running 3 times a week so I'm going to see if I can get 50k total done by the end of the month.
  • Kimberly810
    Kimberly810 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this challenge but would like to join. And just getting back into the swing of things - diet wise and exercise wise. My goal will be 35 miles of a walk/run combo (with more running than walking as I go!).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Looking up how to properly carb-load over the three days before a race, it is suggested that I consume 7-10g of carbs per kg of body weight. (125/2.2 means I'm about 57kg X 7 is about 400g of carbs each day=1600 calories). This suggestion is more than my total calorie allotment of 1450/day.

Runner's World suggested 85-90% of my calories come from healthy carbs... This puts me about 300g of carbs per day... Would this be the most appropriate approach?

Any experience?

I don't think 85-90% carbs is really doable if you're only eating 1450-1600 a day, because then you're getting basically no fat or protein. I usually aim for 60-70% so I can still eat real food, and even then I ate over 2000 calories because I ran that day. I think if you stick to 300 or more for the two or three days leading up to the race, you'll have lots of carbs loaded :)

Also is 1450 your cal allotment at a deficit? If so, if you adjust for maintenance calories, you can eat more carbs leading up to the race.

When carb loading, usually you have to reduce your fat and protein intake those 2 or 3 days to maintain your maitenance level of calories.

60% carbs 20% fat 20% protein is actually what many sports nutritionist experts recommend as the normal every day diet for runners. Between 40/30/30 and 60/20/20 is the acceptable range. But it depends on your indivudual needs as the link below suggests. But carb loading requires much higher percentage of carbs.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/photos/10-biggest-sports-nutrition-myths_29425

^^^ Funny, the very next slide says It's not necessary to carb load before races. lol

I am fairly "low" carb across the board- I'll happily take 2-3 days of pushing the carb boundaries even if it's completely unnecessary. It's pretty much a happy excuse to eat bread for once.

Although- being said_ i felt much better on my last "long" run (long for me is still short for you- but to me it's long LOL)- other than being dark outside- I really felt like I plowed right through my miles- and even around mile 9 I remember thinking- damn- i feel really good about all this!

@JoRocka - if you are normally low carb- then you may benefit from a higher than normal carb intake just before a race to retain normal levels of glycogen reserves. Your low carb "normal diet" will leave you at lower than typical reserves of glycogen. Eating higher levels of carb will bring those reserves to a typical level. I wouldn't necessarily call this "carb loading".

It's assumed that a runner is eating a healthy supply of carbs all throughout training to maintain typical reserves. The carb loading is spawned from decreased training (tapering) and higher than normal levels of carb intake which results in a temporary "oversupply" of glycogen reserves (your body can store more than typical levels for a short window of time). Carb loading can also be spawned from extreme carb depletion (such as a very tough workout for 2 days) followed by extreme levels of carb intake for 2 days. But you don't want a tough workout in the same week you are preparing for a race, so the first example of carb loading is usally what is followed.

I would call what you do an extreme case of "train low race high".

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @kristinegift I aim daily for 1450 calories on non running days. Running days I may or may not eat it back. My aim has been to keep my average less than 1200.. I need to drop a few pounds. Once in a while I have a 1800-2000 calorie day.

Kristen, thanks for the info- I think I'd be sick on that many carbs. 300 might be doable. I'll check out your diary too.

@JoRocka I've noticed that if I have sugar about an hour before a run I can push harder. I am a low carb eater too. Much happier keeping it around 100-150. I'll admit I've not been watching the macros this last month or so. I usually focus on protein..

Stan, I honestly will be pushing the 3 hour mark. I feel totally wiped after 80-90 minutes of the running. So, I think it's a good idea for me to try to up the glycogen stores.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @kristinegift I aim daily for 1450 calories on non running days. Running days I may or may not eat it back. My aim has been to keep my average less than 1200.. I need to drop a few pounds. Once in a while I have a 1800-2000 calorie day.

Kristen, thanks for the info- I think I'd be sick on that many carbs. 300 might be doable. I'll check out your diary too.

@JoRocka I've noticed that if I have sugar about an hour before a run I can push harder. I am a low carb eater too. Much happier keeping it around 100-150. I'll admit I've not been watching the macros this last month or so. I usually focus on protein..

Stan, I honestly will be pushing the 3 hour mark. I feel totally wiped after 80-90 minutes of the running. So, I think it's a good idea for me to try to up the glycogen stores.

I would say for you @Elise4270 that carb loading should take a precedence over the "dropping a few pounds" at least the couple of days before your race. The trick is to eat a higher percentage of carbs during this time balanced by an equal proportion reduction of fats and protein. This is only for those last 2 or 3 days before your race.

After your race, you can return to dropping a few pounds. Well after you celebrate a job well done and recover.

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    10/2 - 4.16 miles

exercise.png[\img]
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Any experience?

@JoRocka - if you are normally low carb- then you may benefit from a higher than normal carb intake just before a race to retain normal levels of glycogen reserves. Your low carb "normal diet" will leave you at lower than typical reserves of glycogen. Eating higher levels of carb will bring those reserves to a typical level. I wouldn't necessarily call this "carb loading".

It's assumed that a runner is eating a healthy supply of carbs all throughout training to maintain typical reserves. The carb loading is spawned from decreased training (tapering) and higher than normal levels of carb intake which results in a temporary "oversupply" of glycogen reserves (your body can store more than typical levels for a short window of time). Carb loading can also be spawned from extreme carb depletion (such as a very tough workout for 2 days) followed by extreme levels of carb intake for 2 days. But you don't want a tough workout in the same week you are preparing for a race, so the first example of carb loading is usally what is followed.

I would call what you do an extreme case of "train low race high".

That's probably a more accurate way of saying it yes- even when I was going out of my way to load up- I still only hit around like 250- I average around 150-200- so even my efforts are <wahwahwahwah> weak sauce.

But it seemed to work okay last week- so I'm hoping it'll work again for tomorrow and next week!!

i definitely have gotten a lot less slack about "calories" mostly because I've been running on a small deficit- and with intent to do well (I don't know that PR is the right word) but I have higher hopes than just finishing- it's a race- I intent to race as best I can- I'm letting the calories go a bit to make sure I'm well fed!!!

:D WHOSE EXCITED ABOUT RACE DAY NEXT WEEK!!! WOOT WOOT
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    2.21 miles this morning. We are finally getting some fall weather around here. I love it!!
    exercise.png
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Let's shoot for 40 miles this month - would like to run at least twice a week, three times if I can fit it in. Usually do 3-4 miles, so...

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The discussion on carb loading is interesting. I generally eat fairly low-carb, although it's been harder to stay disciplined about it as I've started running more. Harder to stay in a deficit, too!

10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28

exercise.png
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    On Carb Loading:

For those who know: Any suggestions for diabetics where carb is indeed the enemy :)?
  • JullesBurn
    JullesBurn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm still debating whether or not I want to run. After doing it for about 5 days out of 9, I'm heading out now for another try. My right leg feels so STIFF behind the knee. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Not sure how far I'm running - going super slow - 10-20 mins at a time. Wish me luck!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The discussion on carb loading is interesting. I generally eat fairly low-carb, although it's been harder to stay disciplined about it as I've started running more. Harder to stay in a deficit, too!

10/1 8.25 treadmill run at just around 12:00
    10/2 3.75 treadmill run at 11:28

exercise.png

nods- I AM HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    On Carb Loading:

For those who know: Any suggestions for diabetics where carb is indeed the enemy :)?

Yikes. I am not even gonna touch this since I have only a very basic understanding of diabetes.
    Hmmm.... I would consult a sports nutritionist unless we have experienced racers that are also diabetic?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    JullesBurn wrote: »
    I'm still debating whether or not I want to run. After doing it for about 5 days out of 9, I'm heading out now for another try. My right leg feels so STIFF behind the knee. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Not sure how far I'm running - going super slow - 10-20 mins at a time. Wish me luck!

@JullesBurn You may be running too often. If you are a beginner runner, you will want to start off with 3x a week.
    When you run, are you running out of breath very quickly? You will want to be running at a pace that you can sustain a conversation the whole time. If you can't sustain a conversation without breathing too hard (or if you run by yourself, you should be able to recite the alphabet out loud with no problems) then you are running too fast. Slow down. If you can't slow down any more, than you will want to begin with a run/walk method. Some program like C25K will help in this case.

• Ladyboricua
    Ladyboricua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie, I am a beginner. I just downloaded the C25K app and I plan on using that to help me reach my goal of running a full 3 miles. Right now I just walk/jog. I did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what I should set my goal for the month to be. Any suggestions?
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie, I am a beginner. I just downloaded the C25K app and I plan on using that to help me reach my goal of running a full 3 miles. Right now I just walk/jog. I did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what I should set my goal for the month to be. Any suggestions?

@Ladyboricua Hi Debbie. I never used the C25K app personally, so I am not sure what to suggest. I know very many have used it with great success and some even used it while doing this Challenge in previous months. I am hoping one of them may give you a suggestion.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy this thread and it motivates you to keep going. If no one answers I would guess maybe 24-25 miles? Even if you come close to that above or below at the end of the month, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you stayed consistent, you logged it, and you enjoyed yourself as we all hold each other accountable.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    This is all very interesting...

1. I AM STOKED ABOUT RACE DAY!
    2. Diabetes and carbs- my guess would be slow steady complex carbs. I agree with Stan- check with a nutritionist.
    3. Does anyone think 1400-1500 calories for a female (45, 127lbs) is a deficit? I'm not losing weight here. If I'm lucky, I'm gaining/losing with no weight change. I will gain at 1600+. I can lose half to one pound a week if my net is less than 1000. Impossible to sustain, and I gain it back cuz I'm hungry. I should really look into getting my BF checked, goal is about 20% . I did use a food scale for a while to make sure I wasnt consistantly overestimating.

I think I'll lay off the carb load idea. Eat as usually, and replace a few things with some carbs.

Thanks for all the info! Some I know and really just don't know how to apply it. I welcome additional advice and insight.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    JullesBurn wrote: »

Pain. I'd lay off. Stretch, and don't over stretch. If you're set on getting out, maybe settle for a walk.