To much protein bad for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    RedWolf09 wrote: »
    The level of complication is too damn high!

It's not too complicated, but many of us here try to provide evidence based advice rather than the traditional bro science you get so many other places. It's as simple as eat around 1g/lb of body weight and don't sweat it too much if you are a bit over or under.

Completely agree!! And yes Wheel I did grab some wrong links this morning in my hast to post something. Thanks for catching my mistake!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mackinroy wrote: »
    I was talking to someone about my diet. Told them I am trying to have 190 grams of protein a day. They said that was to much for me at 128 pounds. I am trying to gain about 40 pounds. Is there such thing where to much protein is bad for you?

My understanding of it was that your body can only except a certain amount then rejects rest.

it's WAY more than you need...talk about overkill...and really expensive waste...and if you're trying to bulk, you want to be pounding the carbs.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    To be fair, Bro-Science is just an idiots guide which is all we will ever need unless people want to become professional bodybuilders or Scientists. Just eat your protein 0.8-1g protein per 1lbs lean bodyweight and fill the rest of your diet up with what ever carbs and fats you want so that your in a decent surplus (500 cals above TDEE). Lift heavy, take appropriate rest days and sleep well. Some of this thread is just a vanity project of knowledge.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    RedWolf09 wrote: »
    The level of complication is too damn high!

It's not too complicated, but many of us here try to provide evidence based advice rather than the traditional bro science you get so many other places. It's as simple as eat around 1g/lb of body weight and don't sweat it too much if you are a bit over or under.

Completely agree!! And yes Wheel I did grab some wrong links this morning in my hast to post something. Thanks for catching my mistake!

No problem, they are often easy to confuse but it's nice to see when people are doing the research with real journals and not sketchy sources so props for that!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    To be fair, Bro-Science is just an idiots guide which is all we will ever need unless people want to become professional bodybuilders or Scientists. Just eat your protein 0.8-1g protein per 1lbs lean bodyweight and fill the rest of your diet up with what ever carbs and fats you want so that your in a decent surplus (500 cals above TDEE). Lift heavy, take appropriate rest days and sleep well. Some of this thread is just a vanity project of knowledge.

I disagree, saying 1g/lb is not so much bro science but rather a simplification, which is not far from reality but easier for most people to calculate. True bro science is not based on simplification but on illogical principles and conjectrure such as if some is good more is better and much more is much better. I've seen several people brofess (shout out to Bro Science Life for that term) on many sites that 2 to 3 grams/lb is required for maximum growth because pro BBs eat that much so it must work for everyone.

As for the last sentence if you don't like the science then take the cliff notes and leave the rest. Some people here have expressed a lot of appreciation of the fact they we do try to explain where those numbers come from rather than just spout random facts as if they are truth with no substantiation. It's not a simple vanity but an attempt to ground recommdations in fact rather than myths.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Way too much. Try half that. Excess converts to sugar which then goes to fat.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Way too much. Try half that. Excess converts to sugar which then goes to fat.

Only if you don't use it!