One for the ladies - period, bloating, cramps & cravings

Options
I started my diet (again) 2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 5.8lbs (mostly water weight I'm guessing). This week I ate and exercised mostly the same and lost 2.5lbs... I started my period today (Mondays are "weigh day") and feel bloated. Does anyone notice a significant difference in weight gain/loss during their period?

Also, I'm a chocoholic when I'm on my period... bars, cake, brownies... you name it. I'm cutting sugar out of my diet as much as possible... so what are some good alternatives to hit that craving for chocolate?

I have Endometriosis, so I experience pretty intense cramps... I've been told exercising should help lessen cramps but I find it so hard to get started. Anyone have any advice about this?

Trying hard to stay motivated but feeling terrible at the moment!

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Exercising and drinking lots of water help me.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative for chocolate. I just eat chocolate when I'm craving it. If I don't let myself have some here and there, I will end up binging on it later. I've been at this for a little over a year and have lost just over 100 pounds. Eating chocolate and other sugary treats on occasion has not hindered my weight loss. They are fine in moderation and can fit into your eating plan. Sometimes hot chocolate helps as well, and that is only about 80 cals per cup and is very soothing.

As far as bloating and weight changes around your period, yes, that's normal. I typically gain about 5 pounds (sometimes more) around my period, and it doesn't come off until about a week after. Everyone is different though. My advice is to not even weigh yourself during that week if it's going to discourage you.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's quite common to gain "weight" during your period.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to retain water while on your period. So it's pretty normal to see a weight gain. If your sickening to your diet, I would make weight-in plans, like every 2 weeks, or even every two months. Rather than weekly. An write down your other numbers (arms/thighs). They may be the change that keeps you motivated when the scale stalls.
  • littlemissorange
    littlemissorange Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Small pieces of dark choc for cravings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My appetite goes up premenstrually so I eat at maintenance for a few days.

I do eat (small amounts of high quality) chocolate because I like it, but chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I have killer cravings when I am on my period. I have come to accept that when I am on my period I am going to have to be in maintenance mode (or sometimes bulking mode let's be honest here) not weight loss mode. For that entire week I am starving all the time and I never get full! So I do my best to really focus on getting my workouts in and still log my food so I don't go to crazy. It has worked for me so far. Sometimes you've gotta let go of the reins a little bit. I'm sure I could really restrict myself and still lose weight but my goal here is to make the process as enjoyable as possible so that I can keep on doing it forever. As soon as that week is over I jump right back into my regular routine though!
  • Allie178
    Allie178 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    RSavage83 wrote: »
    I started my diet (again) 2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 5.8lbs (mostly water weight I'm guessing). This week I ate and exercised mostly the same and lost 2.5lbs... I started my period today (Mondays are "weigh day") and feel bloated. Does anyone notice a significant difference in weight gain/loss during their period?

Also, I'm a chocoholic when I'm on my period... bars, cake, brownies... you name it. I'm cutting sugar out of my diet as much as possible... so what are some good alternatives to hit that craving for chocolate?

I have Endometriosis, so I experience pretty intense cramps... I've been told exercising should help lessen cramps but I find it so hard to get started. Anyone have any advice about this?

Trying hard to stay motivated but feeling terrible at the moment!

Actually yeah i just started my period on Saturday but so far i lost 10 pounds i weigh my self now and is saying that i gained the 10 back. . So it is normal, when on period i feel bloated also nothing fits comfortably...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Stop eating what you want and eat what you need. Your period is not an excuse to overeat. The alternative is to have a huge setback every month and never lose weight.
  • Allie178
    Allie178 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My appetite goes up premenstrually so I eat at maintenance for a few days.

I do eat (small amounts of high quality) chocolate because I like it, but chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721369/What-choccy-cravings-trying-tell-not-mention-yearning-cheese-meat-rice.html

Im opposite i eat really healthy when on it and then when not i eat so much of i won't stop eating but i went to vitamin shoppe and the introduced me to my favorite appetite suppresent! Do a research on it is all vitamins and it actually works! Is called glucomannon i bet if you gave it a shot you'd be lie me. . In love with the stuff :) I'm also drinking green tea and skimmers tea which had 20% laxatives in it but it clans out your colon after 3 days use :) that's also found at vitamin shoppe..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    ...I have Endometriosis, so I experience pretty intense cramps... I've been told exercising should help lessen cramps but I find it so hard to get started. Anyone have any advice about this?

I don't get cramps, but sometimes have lower back pain, and do gentle yoga for that.

I did a little googling about cramps, and yes, exercise was listed in the articles I read. I don't expect you to exercise when you are rolling around in agony, but perhaps if you exercised regularly the rest of the month, that would help. If you already are exercising regularly, consider dietary factors.

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/menstrual-pain

...Complementary and Alternative Therapies

Some women find that changing their diets makes cramps less severe. Mind-body techniques such as meditation, and acupuncture and exercises such as yoga and tai chi, can also help relieve pain. Aromatic essential oils and massage may also help relieve pain.

Nutrition and Supplements
    • Eat foods that are rich in calcium, including beans, almonds, and dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and kale.
    • Eat foods that are high in antioxidants, including fruits, such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes, and vegetables, such as squash and bell pepper.
    • Avoid refined foods, such as white breads, pastas, and sugar.
    • Eat more lean meats, cold-water fish, tofu (soy, if no allergy), or beans for protein.
    • Use healthy cooking oils, such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
    • Some women find that adding soy milk to their diet helps relieve menstrual pain.
    • Eliminate trans-fatty acids, found in commercially baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.
    • Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.
    • Drink 6 to 8 glasses of filtered water daily.
    • Exercise at least 30 minutes daily, 5 days a week.
    • Some studies also suggest following a gluten-free diet helped reduce painful symptoms of endometriosis.

The following supplements may also help relieve menstrual pain:

Read more: https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/menstrual-pain
  • jnv7594
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Stop eating what you want and eat what you need. Your period is not an excuse to overeat. The alternative is to have a huge setback every month and never lose weight.

Spoken like a man who has never dealt with PMS and has NO idea what it's like. I'm with the others that say they go into maintenance mode. I usually eat at maintenance mode during that week, sometimes above. There have been times I have been able to stay at a deficit (which is why I didn't mention maintenance in my post above...OP sounded like that wasn't a road she was wanting to take), but it was definitely a struggle. I am CONSTANTLY hungry during that week. And I am talking stomach growling, feeling faint if I don't eat, I can't even get to sleep at night hungry. It's that bad. It's not an "excuse" and those that have actually been through it know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I've still managed to lose my weight while mushing through PMS week every month. Am I losing it slower than I would if I didn't increase my calories? Of course. But I would rather lose a little slower than be completely miserable one week out of the month. I've still lost over 100 pounds in just over a year which is nothing to sneeze at.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Only intense exercise helps my cramps and it takes a good 20 minutes... Otherwise I alternate Advil and Tylenol every 3 hours because it's the only thing that works.

I suggest magnesium pills if you specifically crave chocolate.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Spoken like a man who has never dealt with PMS and has NO idea what it's like. I'm with the others that say they go into maintenance mode. I usually eat at maintenance mode during that week, sometimes above. There have been times I have been able to stay at a deficit (which is why I didn't mention maintenance in my post above...you sounded like that wasn't a road you were wanting to take), but it was definitely a struggle. I am CONSTANTLY hungry during that week. And I am talking stomach growling, feeling faint if I don't eat, I can't even get to sleep at night hungry. It's that bad. It's not an "excuse" and those that have actually been through it know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I've still managed to lose my weight while mushing through PMS week every month. Am I losing it slower than I would if I didn't increase my calories? Of course. But I would rather lose a little slower than be completely miserable one week out of the month. I've still lost over 100 pounds in just over a year which is nothing to sneeze at.

LOL. I have no concept of what real hunger is. Okay then.
  • jnv7594
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You have no concept of what PMS hunger is like, no. And PMS hunger is like no other hunger I have ever dealt with in my life. For some of us, it's constant and unrelenting for a week no matter how much you eat. I can eat an entire pizza and literally be hungry an hour later. When I am going through my PMS hunger phase, I get so hungry I can't concentrate, I can't think clearly, I can't sleep, I feel faint, and that is AFTER I eat a normal amount of food. The rest of the month I'm fine, and it actually balances out because I lose my appetite once my period starts. You need to quit lecturing women on a subject you really know nothing about. This is not like regular run of the mill hunger that people experience when cutting calories. I've experienced both and this is much, MUCH worse.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    You have no concept of what PMS hunger is like, no. And PMS hunger is like no other hunger I have ever dealt with in my life. For some of us, it's constant and unrelenting for a week no matter how much you eat. I can eat an entire pizza and literally be hungry an hour later. When I am going through my PMS hunger phase, I get so hungry I can't concentrate, I can't think clearly, I can't sleep, I feel faint, and that is AFTER I eat a normal amount of food. The rest of the month I'm fine, and it actually balances out because I lose my appetite once my period starts. You need to quit lecturing women on a subject you really know nothing about. This is not like regular run of the mill hunger that people experience when cutting calories. I've experienced both and this is much, MUCH worse.

You're wasting your breath, lol. He just has no clue.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    More like 8,274 for the ladies.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Im getting my period tomorrow and that comes with MAJOR chocolate cravings...I make homeade granola bars (just made some today) I blend some pitted dates with hot water and put them in a pot and heat it with peanut butter, honey and a bit of vanilla, then when it comes to a boil I pour it over oats, chia seeds, ground flax seed and chocolate chips....then pour it on a pan with wax paper and feeeze them... They stay gooey in the freezer....when you cut them up into portions 1 granola bar is 200 calories DONT start snacking on them and just keep them for a craving or just needing a pick me up...they control cravings for me and fill me up and are super healthy but calorie dense...better than a chocolate bar and your body will understand the ingredients :) pm me for exact recipe if you want it..its super easy
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Your over consumption of food is not actual hunger but rather a sign of depression. The craving for food is mostly mental and tied to chemical imbalances. These can be treated with diet changes and pharmaceutical strategies. If you're eating an entire pizza and still craving food you probably should seek professional help to deal with these issues.
    Food craving is positively related to depression during the menstrual cycle. Food craving is more intense when depression is severe, and depression is greater during the premenstrual phase. Food craving is linked to depression in women with PMS. These changes in appetite and cravings indicate the probability of active or passive over consumption of food during the premenstrual phase and in women with PMS. In turn, this suggests a potential for weight gain;

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/6/1142.full.pdf
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    All that helps my bad cramps is using a heating pad on medium setting and laying in bed.

As for being hungry, go into maintenance for the time. At least you won't be overeating (gaining) or having MFP "yell" at you with red numbers.

For chocolate, can you deal with eating smaller portions? I'm asking about the snack size or Halloween size candy bars. For me, the smaller portion doled out like that helps keep my in check. You can also try a darker chocolate or white chocolate rather than milk. Fibre 1 bars work, too.