One for the ladies - period, bloating, cramps & cravings

Options

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    You have no concept of what PMS hunger is like, no. And PMS hunger is like no other hunger I have ever dealt with in my life. For some of us, it's constant and unrelenting for a week no matter how much you eat. I can eat an entire pizza and literally be hungry an hour later. When I am going through my PMS hunger phase, I get so hungry I can't concentrate, I can't think clearly, I can't sleep, I feel faint, and that is AFTER I eat a normal amount of food. The rest of the month I'm fine, and it actually balances out because I lose my appetite once my period starts. You need to quit lecturing women on a subject you really know nothing about. This is not like regular run of the mill hunger that people experience when cutting calories. I've experienced both and this is much, MUCH worse.

You're wasting your breath, lol. He just has no clue.

Ya, I get that. :) My posting has less to do with him and more to do with some of the women that might be reading and not commenting. It irritates me that people guilt some women into thinking they should just suck it up because it's not that bad, especially when the person who says such things has NO idea what they're talking about. In my opinion, ignoring those cravings and hunger is a recipe for disaster. If I ignore it rather than give into it a bit by increasing my calories for a few days, I WILL binge and do more damage than if I ate at maintenance or slightly above for the week. As women, most of us get it. Although I know some women are lucky enough not to experience such intense cravings and hunger...damn them, lol. ;)

• jnv7594
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Your over consumption of food is not actual hunger but rather a sign of depression. The craving for food is mostly mental and tied to chemical imbalances. These can be treated with diet changes and pharmaceutical strategies. If you're eating an entire pizza and still craving food you probably should seek professional help to deal with these issues.
    Food craving is positively related to depression during the menstrual cycle. Food craving is more intense when depression is severe, and depression is greater during the premenstrual phase. Food craving is linked to depression in women with PMS. These changes in appetite and cravings indicate the probability of active or passive over consumption of food during the premenstrual phase and in women with PMS. In turn, this suggests a potential for weight gain;

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/6/1142.full.pdf

LOL! *sigh* You need to understand the difference between craving and physical hunger, and again, you are REALLY in no position to preach at women about how they should and shouldn't feel during PMS. And no journal entry is more of an authority on my body than I am...good grief. I've been on this earth for 40 years. I know my body better than anyone over at Oxford. Have a good day, Waffle. A conversation with you is pointless. Oy.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You have no concept of what PMS hunger is like, no. And PMS hunger is like no other hunger I have ever dealt with in my life. For some of us, it's constant and unrelenting for a week no matter how much you eat. I can eat an entire pizza and literally be hungry an hour later. When I am going through my PMS hunger phase, I get so hungry I can't concentrate, I can't think clearly, I can't sleep, I feel faint, and that is AFTER I eat a normal amount of food. The rest of the month I'm fine, and it actually balances out because I lose my appetite once my period starts. You need to quit lecturing women on a subject you really know nothing about. This is not like regular run of the mill hunger that people experience when cutting calories. I've experienced both and this is much, MUCH worse.

I have plenty of clue. It's not normal. Not every woman deals with this. If it's that bad, really, you should see a doctor and have your hormones checked, because it sounds like th symptoms of someone who's BC pills are the wrong type.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I have plenty of clue. It's not normal. Not every woman deals with this. If it's that bad, really, you should see a doctor and have your hormones checked, because it sounds like th symptoms of someone who's BC pills are the wrong type.

You must really hate women, don't you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's quite common to gain "weight" during your period.

Every month
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Why? I'm a woman. You're daft if you think every woman deals with this. These are on the far end of the range of symptoms, and I would advise anyone dealing with it to see their obgyn. The only time I ever had to put up with that is when I was on BC. My body just did not tolerate the extra hormones.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was just about to add something similar because I was beginning to wonder if I was odd that I don't feel the need to eat everything on sight for a week once a month. Sure, I can sense a few extra cravings here and there, so I eat some dark chocolate pieces and move on and I'm fine. I would also suggest you see a doctor for this because this just does not seem normal.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Wow, this is why they say we are catty witches.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You must really hate opinions that don't mirror your own, don't you?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    ZoeLifts wrote: »

Yeah, I was just about to add something similar because I was beginning to wonder if I was odd that I don't feel the need to eat everything on sight for a week once a month. Sure, I can sense a few extra cravings here and there, so I eat some dark chocolate pieces and move on and I'm fine. I would also suggest you see a doctor for this because this just does not seem normal.

exactly this. I had PMDD, endometriosis, and fibroid tumors in my uterus and still didn't have this appetite issue. Overeating like this is not normal, and not a period type thing, either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Why? I'm a woman. You're daft if you think every woman deals with this. These are on the far end of the range of symptoms, and I would advise anyone dealing with it to see their obgyn. The only time I ever had to put up with that is when I was on BC. My body just did not tolerate the extra hormones.

You're right, not all women deal with that either. But whether it's 'normal' or not, you can't deny that it DOES happen... and saying it's an 'excuse' is inappropriate, rude, and clueless, whether you're a man or woman.

But for what it's worth, both my GP and two GYNs said it just happens and there's nothing you can do. One mentioned the pill but as far as I remember, it made things worse for me. The last one mentioned Prozac... That's it. I rarely had those issues when I was fat though... now it's every single month for pretty much a week (and I end up 2000 calories over that week, usually).
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    ZoeLifts wrote: »

exactly this. I had PMDD, endometriosis, and fibroid tumors in my uterus and still didn't have this appetite issue. Overeating like this is not normal, and not a period type thing, either.

It's definitely linked to hormones. Mine isn't linked to my period though... it usually peaks 10 days before (typically on the day I ovulate and a few days later). I'm *very* sensitive to hormonal changes though - I did IVF and ended up producing 38 eggs on the normal dosage, instead of the normal 10ish, and progesterone pills made me pass out. I guess that now that I'm smaller it's even worse somehow.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

It's not normal *for you*. I don't have debilitating cramps, endless hunger, and seething rage every month, but I certainly don't discount the women who do have it. I'm not sure of the bedside manner of OP's doctor, but the ones I went to about severe cramping told me to take a Midol and use a heating pad aka suck it up, buttercup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

It's not normal *for you*. I don't have debilitating cramps, endless hunger, and seething rage every month, but I certainly don't discount the women who do have it. I'm not sure of the bedside manner of OP's doctor, but the ones I went to about severe cramping told me to take a Midol and use a heating pad aka suck it up, buttercup.

Yup, lol.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For these times of the month, I keep my goals in sight. I tell myself that if I over eat too much then I would not be keeping to my plan. I stay as close to my plan as possible, and don't weigh myself ( bloating and water weight is normal )
    I allow myself a treat , while using portion control and moderation .
    If your symptoms are extreme, it might be worth mentioning to your gyn at your next visit.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Must have been a man.
  • RSavage83
    RSavage83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh my... Thank-you to all the helpful posts.

I don't get cravings like I want to eat everything I see... just chocolate (which I don't eat normally since I'm diabetic). I've tried the sugar free chocolates... they're horrible and remind me of what eating wax must be like.

Yes, I've read about exercise to lessen pains... was just checking to see what other women find helpful. It's amazing how different we all are, even when we go through the same thing (s). I exercise lightly through the week and had planned to step it up... but my period came early this month... I'm thinking the diet may have caused it. I even bought an elliptical but the aliens ripping apart my ovaries yelled when I got on this afternoon and I stopped.

I'm on 1,400 calories / day which I'm actually finding OK... I'm a larger gal so my maintenance would be 2,400... I think I'd feel guilty eating that many calories at this stage.

I may check into the supplements... I'm not keen on appetite suppressants or other diet pills though... or laxitives. That sounds kind of like a nightmare for someone with a phobia of public restrooms lol

God... if it was easy we'd all be skinny ;)
  • jnv7594
    Options

Um, I don't think anyone said every woman deals with this. In fact, I specifically said in the last sentence of one of my posts that not every woman does. Every woman is different. So don't insinuate something is wrong with someone because their PMS manifests itself differently than yours does. You assuming that is just as bad as someone assuming every woman goes through the exact same thing during that time of the month...it's just as bad as a MAN assuming he knows what a woman goes through because he read a journal entry somewhere. And I don't take BC pills. I can't. I used to though, and it did not change a thing. It has nothing to do with birth control. Some women just experience more severe symptoms. I was offering advice because I DO have more severe symptoms than many other women, so what works for me will likely also help with women who don't experience them at the same level.

• IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing for this thread! I was just about to start a thread on this very subject!

I think I'm pmsing right now because I am craving something fried and cheesy! That's what I usually crave in 1-2 weeks before I'm about to start.

As for exercise during that time, it ain't easy! I posted a thread last month because my period can get very painful during exercise! So I'm thinking during that time, I'll stay off the treadmill and the elliptical because it really hurts otherwise. Some have suggested Yoga and I'm gonna give it a try.