Not losing weight and frustrated!

Options
I've been tracking my meal on mfp for 60 days and am yet to lose 1lb. I've tried eating as low as 1200 calories but was too hungry. My trainer says I should eat between 1600 - 1800. I work out, a lot. Weights and cardio. I'm 5'8 153lbs trying to get to 145. I've been on a plateau for almost a year. Please help!

Replies

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Basic question: Do you use a food scale? If not, that's the prob.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. You've got a lot of diary entries in cups and other similar measurements, such as tablespoons of peanut butter. Start weighing everything you eat, you'll probably find you're eating more than you think.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youre eating more than you think you are.
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. You've got a lot of diary entries in cups and other similar measurements, such as tablespoons of peanut butter. Start weighing everything you eat, you'll probably find you're eating more than you think.

Totally agree!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    veephil31 wrote: »

Totally agree!

+1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    veephil31 wrote: »

Totally agree!

+1

+2
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    A plateau for a year means you're eating at maintenance.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think sometimes, things defies logic.
    CICO logic may or may not help.
    It is best to look closely at the food you eat 'plus' have you considered gain in muscle mass?
    Because if you work out as hard as you said, you must have gained some muscle mass.
    It is hard to pin point the exact reason.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    cups and tbsp can be just as accurate as weighing so long as you make them level.

But my questions is, do you really need ot lose anymore weight. You are probably looking pretty close to perfect as you are now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit. You're eating at maintenance. Drop 100 calories for two weeks, rinse, repeat.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    With only 8 pounds to lose, it's going to be far more difficult than for someone who has 50 to lose. You have to log really tightly and like everyone said - weigh your food.
  • tschenk99
    tschenk99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the amazing feedback. I do have a scale that I use and I'll change all my measurements to grams or ounces vs cups. Not currently taking any meds other than vitamins. May try dropping my calories. I really do believe I've been on maintanance calories and not deficit. Need to drop the 8 lbs so my abs will show☺
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    tschenk99 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the amazing feedback. I do have a scale that I use and I'll change all my measurements to grams or ounces vs cups. Not currently taking any meds other than vitamins. May try dropping my calories. I really do believe I've been on maintanance calories and not deficit. Need to drop the 8 lbs so my abs will show☺

Good luck! Those last few pounds are HARD. You got this!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    I think sometimes, things defies logic.
    CICO logic may or may not help.
    It is best to look closely at the food you eat 'plus' have you considered gain in muscle mass?
    Because if you work out as hard as you said, you must have gained some muscle mass.
    It is hard to pin point the exact reason.

Actually, it is not hard to pinpoint the reason. If you are not losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit, period.

So you are saying if I eat the right type of food, and eat in a 500 calorie surplus that I can still lose weight?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks all for the amazing feedback. I do have a scale that I use and I'll change all my measurements to grams or ounces vs cups. Not currently taking any meds other than vitamins. May try dropping my calories. I really do believe I've been on maintenance calories and not deficit. Need to drop the 8 lbs so my abs will show☺

I would also suggest that you make sure that you are using correct MFP entries from the food database.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

If you were actually eating 1200 calories, you should have lost weight. I'm going to assume you are weighing and logging accurately. Did you feel deprived from those 1200 calorie days and have some cheat meals or days that could have erased your deficit?
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have heard about apple cider vinegar and cucumbers when you are on a plateau.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Neither one of those are going to generate weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options

which have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss...