I've never seen a persons daily meal include junk food.

Options
I've heard so many people claim that they eat whatever they want, as long as they stay within their calorie limit, but I've never actually seen a sample diet that included junk food, i.e, cookies, chips, etc. Do any of you guys diaries include junk? The reason I'm asking, is because I find it really hard to stay on a diet that doesn't include at least some of the foods I love. I become grumpy, and just kinda depressed in a way, because junk food makes me feel good, if only for a little while. I would just love to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I cannot manage, however, to just eat junk in moderation, without totally binge eating on the stuff. Do any of you have a way to incorporate sweets into your diet, without ending up on a binge? What's your secret, so to speak?

Replies

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I renamed one of my meals "alcohol" and I frequently log chocolate and gummy bears...I tend to miss out on my micros those days, but I can usually make them fit calorie wise when I want them.

I guess my secret is I only buy what I'm willing to eat in one sitting...and if I want more I have to go back to the store.
  • delano1972
    delano1972 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do include junk when I eat it. Haven't had any in awhile, for me it's still all or nothing mentality so I have to avoid it all.
  • yummypotroast
    yummypotroast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I eat junk food all the time! A couple of weekends ago I bought Pepperidge Farm cookies on sale and pretty much ate like 4 bags in two days. Oops... @_@ But I try to be as honest as possible with my logging because it allows me to make sense of weight fluctuations and stalls, and also to look back on some fond food memories lol.

I often have trouble eating sweets without bingeing, so I try to buy them in small packages where I won't feel guilty if I eat most/all of it in one sitting. It also helps to enjoy them in social settings where you are more self aware of your behaviour around food.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like when I decide to eat a bowl of frosted flakes. There is no freaking way that I can get filled up on a one or even two servings of it, plus the milk too. These serving sizes aren't even enough for a toddler, let alone a grown up.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I log it all. I just eat less. A couple of cookies instead of 6 for example. I tske less out and put it all away before I eat what I took. That way it's more trouble and I have more time to think it through.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like when I decide to eat a bowl of frosted flakes. There is no freaking way that I can get filled up on a one or even two servings of it, plus the milk too. These serving sizes aren't even enough for a toddler, let alone a grown up.

Haha so true! When I have cereal, anything less than 100g is a waste of time for me!

• rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I don't reply anymore tonight, I will take it back up tomorrow. It's getting late, and the bus comes at 6:30 in the morning. I appreciate any and all comments.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I just ate and logged an ice cream sandwich. You'll find a couple of slices of cake in the past few days, as well as a cinnamon roll. I get a hot fudge sundae about once every two weeks or so. Pizza about as often. Also the occasional slice of cheese, which is one of the foods I used to binge on.

I don't eat much candy, but I never did.

My only "secret" is to plan for the snack in advance. I plan all my meals before I make them, and a snack is just another meal as far as my plan is concerned.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I nearly always stay within my calorie goal. And my log includes potato chips, Froot Loops, dark chocolate, margaritas, and all sorts of other nutritionally worthless foods. Now, I don't just eat that. My main calories come from lean meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, and whole grain, but I can work treats in there too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I make things like protein fluff, or if I want oreos, instead of eating 6 I'll crush up ONE in greek yogurt. I read a lot of labels in the grocery store and look for gems. I found some very thin sugar cookies that have 160 calories for 10, I usually add 3 to some zoats (oats bulked with zucchini) or a little ice cream/frozen yogurt. Today I added them to some canned pumpkin with Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup.

A good example...tonight I had popcorn pre-logged to my dessert. I noticed my fat intake was low so instead I went to the store and bought pork rinds, which I love. I replaced the popcorn with something fried and it actually helped me hit my goals.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have 1oz of Ruffles potato chips every MWF weekly with my FlatOut turkey/cheese sandwich. I weigh it and log it religiously, but I also eat it religiously. My diary doesn't have as much junk because it's not my thing - but man is it covered up with cheese and wine - so I can count myself amongst the "could snack healthier I suppose". I just don't have much of a sweet tooth really and my kids are in braces so they aren't into much junk lately. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Copied from my diary yesterday. I have something yummy everyday!

Bring On The Chocolate!
    Trader Joes - Kettle Cooked Potato Chips With Sea Salt, 1 oz (28g/12 chips) 150 16 9 2 160 1
    Original Glazed Donut - Krispy Kreme, 49 g 190 21 11 2 75 1
  • arditarose
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Bring On The Chocolate!
    Trader Joes - Kettle Cooked Potato Chips With Sea Salt, 1 oz (28g/12 chips) 150 16 9 2 160 1

She is good at this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Bring On The Chocolate!

She is good at this.

Snort. Good thing yesterday wasn't cheesecake day!
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Bring On The Chocolate!

She is good at this.

Snort. Good thing yesterday wasn't cheesecake day!

Don't know how you keep those cakes in the fridge and stay so on track. Inspiration right there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any food "junk" unless it tastes gross. But I do save room every night for a treat, usually ice cream or gelato.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    My diary isn't open right now, but truly I eat junk food every day. The reason I don't have my diary open is because I want to be able to eat all the junk food I want without feeling like I'm being judged, lol. I have lost 70 pounds in the past 8 months. I don't eat a lot of chips and crackers because I don't personally find them worth the calories. But I eat chocolate and cookies every day, and I eat out too often. I just try to eat in moderation and I log everything and weigh my food so my calories are as accurate as possible.

My main goal of each day is to meet my protein goals. If I am able to do that, I pretty much fill any remaining calories with chocolate, haha.
  • arditarose
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't consider any food "junk" unless it tastes gross. But I do save room every night for a treat, usually ice cream or gelato.

This too. I've never really thought of food as junk. It's either delicious and I want it for fun, or it fits my macros. Cookies and chips can do that.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I include some treats in my diary. In the past I have tended to totally cut out junk, or just overeat it - it's been an either/or situation for me and its hard to just have a little bit. I'm getting better at it though, and I don't have a 'secret', but a few different things have helped me turn my thinking around so that junk food just isn't cutting it for me any more.
    1. mindful eating - asking myself questions - why do I want this, do I really want this? Is this habit, hunger, boredom. comfort?
    2. Body scans - mentally scan myself from head to toe and ask which bit of my body really wants this food?
    3. Rating my hunger - 0 is starving, 10 is bursting full - where do I fall on that scale? Am I really hungry or do I need rest / drink / fresh air / company etc
    4. Not judging myself - so I ate it, I must have had a reason. What was the reason and would I do the same thing again tomorrow?
    5. Menu planning - working out satisfying meals that I enjoy and have the ingredients ready for
    6. Allowing treats - life is short, food is pleasurable. I can have junk food whenever I want it, so why not have an apple now and a treat later.
    7. Education - probably my biggest motivator was learning about the effects of diabetes and heart disease. I don't want to have my toes amputated or have a heart that can't pump blood around my body, thank you very much. No chocolate cake is worth amputated toes!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds over the past year and I ate chocolate almost every day. I log everything I eat including the so-called "junk". Send me a friend-request if you like and you can snoop my diary.