Healthy low calorie breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• texascarl1
    texascarl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1 packet instant oatmeal (any flavor you like really) + spoonful of chia seed, spoonful of oat bran, spoonful of ground flax (grind every few days - it'll go rancid if you try to grind up several cups). Spoonful of dried fruit if your bloodsugar allows it (raisins, craisins) + boiling water (more than you might think). Stirabout, let it sit for 3 minutes and enjoy. You can add a bit of coconut oil if you like more fat. I keep all the 'add ins' like chia, bran, etc...in jars on the countertop, when I'm making this I don't want to have to think or search for ingredients. What's handy goes in the bowl.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Oats and protein.

At home this means hot oatmeal with protein powder and fruit.
    At work it's a shake in a blender with oats, protein powder and ice.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! Thank you!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My breakfast almost every day is from Dunkin Donuts: bacon, egg, and cheese wake-up wrap (180 cal) and a large hot black coffee. Gets me through the morning until lunch 6 hours later...

Yes, take advice from the guy that doesn't make breakfast. Lol

I jest. Society is funny.

Hahaha! Well, it's quick, not bad for me, and gets me going. Now, if you asked me last year, it would've been a ham, egg, & cheese on a sesame seed bagel, blueberry muffin, and a large regular coffee... at a WHOPPING 1110 calories!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast this week is half and half steel cut oats and Red River cereal. A half cup of each in four cups of water. I'll add dried fruit of some kind. Bring to a boil the night before and turn off the heat. In the morning, the cereal is plumped and absorbed all the water. I eat a cup at a time with yogurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a low cal breakfast, but I normally have a 2-egg omelet with feta and vegetables (usually a green and something else--today spinach and broccoli), plus some other kind of protein (today, smoked salmon, often greek yogurt), and some green beans I wanted to use up on the side (I'd often have fruit instead).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    before pregnancy i was doing hard boiled eggs sprinkled with lemon pepper
  • stac928
    stac928 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    black bean burger patty
    2 oz of guac
    one poached egg

270 calories; very filling
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My overnight oats are really low-cal and quite filling.

-20g rolled oats
    -57g greek yogurt (I'm using Chobani non-fat Strawberry)
    -1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
    -3/4 tsp chia seeds (it registers on the scale as 1g)
    -3g chocolate chips added on in the morning

150 cal, 23g carbs, 3g fiber, 8g protein, 3g fat

It's a really good combination for me.

~Lyssa
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I tend to rely on something like a bullet proof coffee. Coffee with a tsp coconut oil, coconut cream or whipping cream, and a scoop of protein powder. It is usually between 180 and 300 calories depending on the amount of oil or cream used.

Whey protein in coffee? That's a new one...how does heat affect the whey, and what is the consistency of the finished product?

I might try that.

It's better with casein rather than whey I've found. Casein gets kind of creamy. I don't put any milk, just 15g of the powder. Morning coffee has 50-60 calories and 11g protein.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausage links, fruit and English muffin with a little butter or peanut butter. Eggs and a mini bagel, orange juice.
    Sandwich of wheat toast, over easy egg, slice of ham or Canadian bacon and laughing cow wedge, hot tea
    Smoothie and a handful of good granola

I like to keep it around 300 calories, plenty of protein, and 10 minutes or less to make.