Expectations

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If one pound took you to 1340, maintenance is probably 1840. That just means that MFP will cap your deficit at 640, not the full 1000.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I
    If one pound took you to 1340, maintenance is probably 1840. That just means that MFP will cap your deficit at 640, not the full 1000.

just figured that out. Do to lose 2 pounds a week I have to eat only 840? That is no good. I guess I best using that gym I have a lot.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I

just figured that out. Do to lose 2 pounds a week I have to eat only 840? That is no good.

That's why 2 lbs isn't reasonable for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Never mind I changed to 1 pound a week and all I got was an extra stupid 140 calories. Why bother! I'll stick with 1200 no wonder I am losing so slow I just can't make that big a deficit. I wonder what maintenance is? I guess it is probably super low. This stinks.

If low calorie goals bother you, I can't understand why you'd want to eliminate an extra 140 calories from your diet. That's more than a tablespoon of oil, a bunch of veggies, a piece of toast, extra milk/cream for coffee or tea, a generous serving of many soups -- just off the top of my head.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you ever just taken several weeks and eaten at goal every day?
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Probably not I think some days I'm over some under. Sometimes I'm home sometimes I'm not if I can be home eating is easy but doesn't always work that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I

just figured that out. Do to lose 2 pounds a week I have to eat only 840? That is no good. I guess I best using that gym I have a lot.

that's why 2 Lbs per week would be an unreasonable expectation for you...you don't have enough fat and weight on you to lose that fast....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I

that's why 2 Lbs per week would be an unreasonable expectation for you...you don't have enough fat and weight on you to lose that fast....

Also add in the fact that the OP has a history of binging (which suggest an ED), having a highly restrictive diet can make things worst.

OP, I would also suggest a lower rate of loss but more importantly, if your goal is to be lean, then start a weight training program that focuses on progressive lift and the more importantly, stop focusing on the scale number. Body composition > weight every day of the week.
  • superhockeymom
    edited October 2015
    Options

Probably not I think some days I'm over some under. Sometimes I'm home sometimes I'm not if I can be home eating is easy but doesn't always work that way.

Ok now I looked. Last 2 weeks
    Week 1 over 1304 average per day 1269
    Week 2 over 1348 average per day 1348.

I believe that is total but not sure
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I said 1/2 pound a week because you are only slightly above the healthy weight range for your height. Plus, based on your diary and past posts, I get the impression that you're going to eat under whatever goal you end up with anyway.

My only fear and I use the term cautiously I am not really afraid just a term is that I am very capable of gaining 3 pounds in a week if I am off. So the thought of 6 weeks of work to be destroyed in a weekend well I guess it is scary.

Stop eating so little that you feel the need to eat 10,500 extra calories in a blowout weekend or week. Or consider that you didn't eat 10,500 extra calories and the weight increase is normal weight fluctuation/retention.

Cosigned.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One thing that I would like to add from a nutritional standpoint, it may be beneficial to cut out the 300-400 calories of daily alcohol. That much alcohol pretty much gives you 800-1000 calories to met all of your nutritional requirements, which even a good person would struggle to do.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    One thing that I would like to add from a nutritional standpoint, it may be beneficial to cut out the 300-400 calories of daily alcohol. That much alcohol pretty much gives you 800-1000 calories to met all of your nutritional requirements, which even a good person would struggle to do.
    1+
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Based on your posting history which indicates a pattern of disordered eating, or at the very least, disordered thinking about eating... I would probably recommend that you take the more conservative approach of 1 lb/week or even 0.5 lb/week - and not try to be so aggressive with your deficit.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I lose a pound a week with just a 300-500 calorie deficit, by keeping active. Eating enough to enjoy things keeps the binges away.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I just want some feedback on how much is a reasonable amount to lose before Christmas. I figure that is 10 weeks. My goal has always been 2 pounds a week I just like the sound of it and some weeks I do lose that much or more 10 weeks could be 20 pounds. But it is the holidays and I am getting closer to my goal.
    I have 37 pounds to get to
    UGW of 135. But I would be happy at 145 for a bit. So how close do you think I will get and what lose per week should I ultimately aim for. ( and don't say 1/2 pound a week I still have a long way to go)
    Oh forgot 5'8" sit at a desk all day.

At 5'8 your goal is up to 165 so you are really not far off a healthy BMI. You are the same height as me and I'm at maintenance at 160.

I am concerned that you say you sit at a desk all day when I often see you posting about how active you are and that you play hockey as well as ferrying your family to games. That on the top of the fact that you do have issues with eating adequate calories would make me advise you to please slow it down and try to grasp the benefit of eating a good nutritional spread and decent amount of calories, slowing down to a 1 lb a week loss at the most.

I think you need to relearn how to feed yourself well personally

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I missed a lot as I just posted from OP...there's a lot of good advice I'm this thread, perhaps this time you might take it:)
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I missed a lot as I just posted from OP...there's a lot of good advice I'm this thread, perhaps this time you might take it:)

There is a lot of good advise I am reading no problem going to 1lb a week as it is practically no change at all. The extra 140 calories yum perhaps I can start having my ice coffee run again. Nothing is starting till Monday as I will be away trying not to gain 10 lbs. nothing like 17 13 year olds and mostly dads a few of us moms and a whole bunch of hockey to destroy all good intentions. Oh well this is most likely the last year of traveling for mom and dad next year he will go off on the bus and waive so I will enjoy the weekend and cherish the memory.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    1/2 to 1 pound per week. There's no rush. You'll definitely be able to stick with 1/2 pound per week more easily if you can get past the mental "need" to lose weight quickly. Slow and steady wins the race. Really.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There is a lot of good advise I am reading no problem going to 1lb a week as it is practically no change at all. The extra 140 calories yum perhaps I can start having my ice coffee run again. Nothing is starting till Monday as I will be away trying not to gain 10 lbs. nothing like 17 13 year olds and mostly dads a few of us moms and a whole bunch of hockey to destroy all good intentions. Oh well this is most likely the last year of traveling for mom and dad next year he will go off on the bus and waive so I will enjoy the weekend and cherish the memory.

How do you go from 2lb a week to 1lb and only get 140 calories more? That should be 500 no?

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    more than 1lb a week of weight loss probably means your losing a lot of muscle too - beware of ending up skinny fat for xmas! I'm sure if you get your deficit right and lose 1lb a week, you'll be feeling awesome come xmas.