I've never seen a persons daily meal include junk food.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Ok, I'm back on. You guys are the best. It's good to know that so many of you still eat delicious foods, and still lose weight. I would hate to know that I had to eat grilled chicken and broccoli every day, oh, and a salad with low cal dressing. Not that there's anything wrong with those foods, but I'm not usually in the mood for just "healthy food" If I can have just a little "junk" every day, that is comforting to know. Also, I reread my original post, and to clarify, I mostly had in mind diet books and tv gurus when I said I never see people including junk in their diet. Thanks guys, for all the replies on this subject.
    Healthy food can taste good! You don't HAVE to eat junk food in order to eat food that tastes really good. You can have both!

So many people fall into the trap of thinking that healthy food cannot taste good and that simply is NOT the case. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people say, "Most of my diet is healthy but I still save room for things I like." That shouldn't be the case! All of your diet should be foods you like.

Instead of eating a bunch of food you don't like and including a little junk food so that you can have food that you enjoy, spend some time learning how to prepare healthy foods in ways you like to eat. Then you can have a whole diet of food that tastes great with or without the junk food. :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    <curmudgeon>
    Maybe OT, but I despise the phrase "junk food". It's such a loaded term.

One can argue that it has a definition, but of course the use of the adjective "junk" has unpleasant emotional connotations, which was the intent of those who coined the term.

To my mind, I don't eat any "junk food" because I don't eat food out of the garbage.
    </curmudgeon>
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    <curmudgeon>
    Maybe OT, but I despise the phrase "junk food". It's such a loaded term.

One can argue that it has a definition, but of course the use of the adjective "junk" has unpleasant emotional connotations, which was the intent of those who coined the term.

To my mind, I don't eat any "junk food" because I don't eat food out of the garbage.
    </curmudgeon>

Cosigned. Food is food is food. It all has calories and you would be hard pressed to find something edible that doesn't contribute at least something to your macro goals. Given the context, a cookie can be "healthier" for your daily food intake than a pile of steamed broccoli.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    arditarose wrote: »
    I make things like protein fluff, or if I want oreos, instead of eating 6 I'll crush up ONE in greek yogurt. I read a lot of labels in the grocery store and look for gems. I found some very thin sugar cookies that have 160 calories for 10, I usually add 3 to some zoats (oats bulked with zucchini) or a little ice cream/frozen yogurt. Today I added them to some canned pumpkin with Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup.

A good example...tonight I had popcorn pre-logged to my dessert. I noticed my fat intake was low so instead I went to the store and bought pork rinds, which I love. I replaced the popcorn with something fried and it actually helped me hit my goals.

So now you have two almost full packages of oreos and sugar cookies left over. What do you do about that? Maybe you can eat them before they go stale and stay within your calorie goals, but I sure can't. This is why it's easier for me to avoid them completely.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I make things like protein fluff, or if I want oreos, instead of eating 6 I'll crush up ONE in greek yogurt. I read a lot of labels in the grocery store and look for gems. I found some very thin sugar cookies that have 160 calories for 10, I usually add 3 to some zoats (oats bulked with zucchini) or a little ice cream/frozen yogurt. Today I added them to some canned pumpkin with Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup.

A good example...tonight I had popcorn pre-logged to my dessert. I noticed my fat intake was low so instead I went to the store and bought pork rinds, which I love. I replaced the popcorn with something fried and it actually helped me hit my goals.

So now you have two almost full packages of oreos and sugar cookies left over. What do you do about that? Maybe you can eat them before they go stale and stay within your calorie goals, but I sure can't. This is why it's easier for me to avoid them completely.

Nice! That's exactly what I was talking about a few posts back when I said context matters and that kink food can be "healthier" given the right circumstances.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    My diary for yesterday has a 900cal bacon cheeseburger, tots with ranch, and about 1000cal of alcohol...I log even while drunk hahaha
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Yup, Oreos are not something I can eat moderately, so I don't bring them into the house.
  • esnider211
    esnider211 Posts: 30 Member
    AspenDan wrote: »
    My diary for yesterday has a 900cal bacon cheeseburger, tots with ranch, and about 1000cal of alcohol...I log even while drunk hahaha

Yes this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yup, Oreos are not something I can eat moderately, so I don't bring them into the house.

But this isn't the case for everyone. That's why I suggested that OP think about the circumstances that cause her to overeat. If having sweets (or certain types of sweets) in the house is an issue, then get single servings or go out for a scoop of ice cream. Personally, I can have pints of ice cream in my freezer no issue. If I bake a pie, I won't be able to bring myself to waste any, so will justify eating more than I should. So I only bake a pie if I have somewhere to bring it or am having guests.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member

I keep my Oreos in an old almond tub and haven't noticed them going stale. I keep a package for at least three weeks.

I do avoid buying milk for spoilage reasons.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    I wanted to address one of the points brought up in the original post, that of kink food (so using this from now on) bringing on binges.

The key, for me at least, in really addressing this was to first take ownership of the fact that it was behavior I was engaging in. It wasn't the food, it was me.

The second thing I did was start to analyze the circumstances which led to those episodes of uncontrolled eating.. This part will vary from person to person, and for me, there were several trigger emotions/circumstances/thought patterns.

Once I untangled all my behavior and really deep-down understood it, taking control over the food and eating it in moderation was suddenly quite simple. I'd already done the really hard work of cutting through the WHY. And make no mistake, that is REALLY hard work.

I don't always eat kink food. I do always eat tasty food. I go on kicks where I'm really into cookies or ice cream and I'll indulge, log a proper portion, and continue on with my life. Overall, my diet is full of nutrient dense food because I also enjoy that.

I can feel a popcorn kick coming on, and I don't even consider that kink food. I'm going to buy myself an air popper and have at it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    IThe key, for me at least, in really addressing this was to first take ownership of the fact that it was behavior I was engaging in. It wasn't the food, it was me.

Yep. Same here.

You are stronger than the Oreos. You just have to believe you are.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I just ate and logged an ice cream sandwich. You'll find a couple of slices of cake in the past few days, as well as a cinnamon roll. I get a hot fudge sundae about once every two weeks or so. Pizza about as often. Also the occasional slice of cheese, which is one of the foods I used to binge on.

I don't eat much candy, but I never did.

My only "secret" is to plan for the snack in advance. I plan all my meals before I make them, and a snack is just another meal as far as my plan is concerned.

I totally agree with you!! I plan for my treats the night before and pre log them. Just started it about a week ago or so ago and so far I love it cause somehow it makes me feel in control.
    My favorite treats are healthy choice premium fudge pops, 200 calories total cause I always have 2. Jiffy pop kettle corn 100 calorie bag with butter spray and one tablespoon of Swiss miss mix and one tbs of chocolate protein powder, weird I know but I love it and it's 175 calories. Nature valley peanut butter dark chocolate bars w/10 grams protein 190 calories ( I have to be careful with these cause I could totally eat 2) and Hershey's nuggets 4 pieces 200 calories. Pre logging them means I'm being realistic that I'm going to have them and planning my daily calories around them and gives me something to look forward to. Down another lb as of this morning...so far so good!
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    I log everything. The good, bad and ugly. I have found if I don't have it at hone I don't eat it as much. So when I want ice cream instead of buying half a gallon I buy a Jr frosty or small soft serve ice cream cone. Or I make a pan of brownies eat one and send the rest to work with the hubs. Because of I had it around I would eat way more than one serving and his guys loves me for it lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    IThe key, for me at least, in really addressing this was to first take ownership of the fact that it was behavior I was engaging in. It wasn't the food, it was me.

Yep. Same here.

You are stronger than the Oreos. You just have to believe you are.

I exercise will power over Oreos in the store by leaving them there.

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member

rabbitjb wrote: »
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    entwife wrote: »
    Body scans - mentally scan myself from head to toe and ask which bit of my body really wants this food?
    Oh, this is kinda neat; hadn't thought of it before. I eat/log lots of junk food when I am off track. When I am on track, I save the cals for "eating out".

I don't get it tbh

so does my left elbow want a snickers? No? What about you right elbow?

Lol i guess it depends on how fat your elbows are

I was specifically thinking of mind, heart or stomach but your right, i shouldn't limit myself ;)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    AspenDan wrote: »

You've just inspired me to go to Red Robin for dinner. Bacon cheeseburger, bottomless steak fries and a 22 ounce Coors Light coming my way!
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    I had chips and a chocolate bar yesterday and logged it--I don't do it everyday but I do it when I really have the craving so that I don't binge! Or that's the theory... 37 pounds so far, so I'd say it's working!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    I use to eat it and log it, calling it all part of the calorie load for the day. Now that I have dropped processed foods... I don't eat it so I don't log it.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    I just ate and logged an ice cream sandwich. You'll find a couple of slices of cake in the past few days, as well as a cinnamon roll. I get a hot fudge sundae about once every two weeks or so. Pizza about as often. Also the occasional slice of cheese, which is one of the foods I used to binge on.

My only "secret" is to plan for the snack in advance. I plan all my meals before I make them, and a snack is just another meal as far as my plan is concerned.

I totally agree with you!! I plan for my treats the night before and pre log them. Just started it about a week ago or so ago and so far I love it cause somehow it makes me feel in control.
    My favorite treats are healthy choice premium fudge pops, 200 calories total cause I always have 2. Jiffy pop kettle corn 100 calorie bag with butter spray and one tablespoon of Swiss miss mix and one tbs of chocolate protein powder, weird I know but I love it and it's 175 calories. Nature valley peanut butter dark chocolate bars w/10 grams protein 190 calories ( I have to be careful with these cause I could totally eat 2) and Hershey's nuggets 4 pieces 200 calories. Pre logging them means I'm being realistic that I'm going to have them and planning my daily calories around them and gives me something to look forward to. Down another lb as of this morning...so far so good!