• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    sscarmack wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    I got 2 words for ya: Diet.

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

Why are you even using yourself as an example for maintenance at 1200 cals. You're a 26 year old male. Your "no exercise" maintenance is probably in the 2K range somewhere.

My 36 year old, 5'1" wife maintains at over 1200 cals, without exercise.

You're right, mine is in the 2,000-2,200 range, maybe even 2,500. I don't have it down to an exact number yet as I just started really tracking what I eat about 2 months ago, all I know is 3,000 is bulking for me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

Why are you even using yourself as an example for maintenance at 1200 cals. You're a 26 year old male. Your "no exercise" maintenance is probably in the 2K range somewhere.

You're right, mine is in the 2,000-2,200 range, maybe even 2,500. I don't have it down to an exact number yet as I just started really tracking what I eat about 2 months ago, all I know is 3,000 is bulking for me.

Your maintenance without exercise is about 2-2.2K With the exercise you listed above..7 days a week...maintenance is probably a lot closer to 2.7 to 3K.

My point was how off base it was to say that most people would maintain at or less than 1200 calories without cardio.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

yes.

It is quite easy to calculate actually.
    1. How long have you been eating 3K
    2. How much weight have you gained?

3500 calorie surplus for a 1lbs gain.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

yes.

I don't under stand this. If someone wanted to maintain their weight while doing no exercise it's still very unlikely they would have to eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day. Only someone extremely small or elderly would have a TDEE near 1200. I'm 5'3",125 lbs, 41 years old and maintain on 1850 a day while lifting 4x a week. I rarely get to do any cardio and it's made no difference.

Even when I was doing cardio while using the MFP method, I ate 100% of the calories back so it wasn't a factor in losing or maintenance.
  • sscarmack
    Options

yes.

Your maintenance without exercise is about 2-2.2K With the exercise you listed above..7 days a week...maintenance is probably a lot closer to 2.7 to 3K.

Correct.

Those are the numbers I'm going off of, so it's good you got the same ones.

I don't want to gain too much "unwanted weight", as long as I'm in a surplus, even if its a small one, I'll take it.

It seems to be working for me so far.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

yes.

Correct.

I don't want to gain too much "unwanted weight", as long as I'm in a surplus, even if its a small one, I'll take it.

My maintenance is about 2400 doing what I do...lifting 4x a week (short 15mins) walking/running and life..not sure how yours could be lower or even equal to mine.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

yes.

September 1st is when I really started tracking everything.

September 1st - I weighed in at 165lbs, yesterday I weighed in at 170.8
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have been 184-187 for the past 4 months down from 293lbs. I still lift weights 5 days a week, do over 400 miles a month on my bike riding six days a week typically 50 minutes each ride and maintain at under 15,000 calories a week(food prep) my point is everyone has a different metabolizm..
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP - could we see your diary?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

yes.

Correct.

Then, it comes back to addressing this statement.
    In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less.

True, but there aren't many.....my 7 year old might.

Why would you even say the below, if it admittedly has nothing to do with you.

As stated, my 5"1' wife maintains at over 1200 cals with no exercise. Why would you even state that you couldn't handle 1200 cals a day? Of course you can't. 1200 cals a day is still a 500 calorie deficit for you if all you did is sit and watched TV all day.
  • sscarmack
    Options

It's open....I think
  • sscarmack
    Options

yes.

Correct.

Then, it comes back to addressing this statement.
    In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less.

True, dependent upon stats which usually include a smaller size or an older age.

Why would you even say the below, if it admittedly has nothing to do with you.

As stated, my 5"1' wife maintains at over 1200 cals with no exercise. Why would you even state that you couldn't handle 1200 cals a day? Of course you can't. 1200 cals a day is still a 500 calorie deficit for you if all you did is sit and watched TV all day.

It was a bad example...(Open mouth, insert foot) haha
  • tincanonastring
    Options

It's open....I think

I'm not seeing an option to view it, but I'm on my work 'puter which is always stupid. I'll see if I can access it from home.
  • sscarmack
    Options

It's open....I think

I'm not seeing an option to view it, but I'm on my work 'puter which is always stupid. I'll see if I can access it from home.

Ahhh, it was set just for friends...Should be good now :)
  • sscarmack
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

yes.

Correct.

My maintenance is about 2400 doing what I do...lifting 4x a week (short 15mins) walking/running and life..not sure how yours could be lower or even equal to mine.

Nutrition is a new area for me. I've just started tracking everything. So take my numbers with a grain of salt. My goal is 3k a day right now. And I'm steadily gaining weight. Around 5lbs since September 1st.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

yes.

That's a 5.8 lbs gain over 37 days, a bit more than 1 lbs a week.
    That is a 548.6 calorie surplus.
    So maintenance is about 2450 calories.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

It's open....I think

Ahhh, it was set just for friends...Should be good now :)

It's working now. Thanks! Are you weighing your portions?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much scar, great tips and I will take everything into consideration.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I honestly can't wait to start cutting again. I'm tired of eating 3k a day. Every 2 hours. :tired_face:

January can't come soon enough...

You're only eating 3K a day and "bulking"

HA HA HA HA HA
    you're cute.

Why's that funny? My maintenance is around 2,000. So I'm consuming an extra 1,000 a day. That's hard.

And thanks, I take pride in my appearance :)

Because I'm a 5'8" female and MY bulking was around 3-3200.

Unless you're like 5'5" you maintaining around 2K is just- off.

• sscarmack
    Options

yes.

That's a 5.8 lbs gain over 37 days, a bit more than 1 lbs a week.
    That is a 548.6 calorie surplus.
    So maintenance is about 2450 calories.

Thank you for figuring that out for me. I appreciate the help :)