"... Could Be Linked to Obesity..."

Options

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    With coffee theres different research that goes back and forth on the effects and benefits of it.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    And with antibiotics theres a lot of side effects from them which is why drs now actually recommend to take probiotics after, which they never did before. It has a whole bunch of different effects on your system. If you havent experienced them then you are lucky.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And with antibiotics theres a lot of side effects from them which is why drs now actually recommend to take probiotics after, which they never did before. It has a whole bunch of different effects on your system. If you havent experienced them then you are lucky.

Recommending probiotics isn't a new thing; and they're recommended because it's long been known to cause diarrhea as a side effect. Antibiotics kill bacteria, both good and bad. It's common sense to replenish the good.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Recommending probiotics isn't a new thing; and they're recommended because it's long been known to cause diarrhea as a side effect. Antibiotics kill bacteria, both good and bad. It's common sense to replenish the good.

Ive always seen it as common sense but I've never had a dr recommend it until recently. Usually they used to prescribe antibiotics only but now they prescribe it together. But either way they do effect your system from your stomach to hormones. Plus even those good bacterias in the stomach that the antibiotics are effecting have control over appetite and weight gain.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    THIS JUST IN!

Magical space unicorns secretly unleashing fat rays from their horns as a pre invasion... May be linked to obesity.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Insulin is a hormone. We are and have been exposed to many modern day hormone disrupters. It's not that big of a stretch.

Can you please explain wheat you mean here? I'm not following.

Two threads a few days back were on obesity and pollutants, sorry, was going off of that, since this topic seemed so open ended.

No matter how much your hormones may or may not be disrupted, you body can't store fat if you haven't eaten enough to enable your body to do so.

But it can mess with my satiety, possibly my thyroid function, and doubtless my energy levels, too.

I'm a human being, not a robot. What, when, and how much I eat are not simple logical formulas. They're all driven by my biochemistry and all I have to fight back with is my poor conscious mind, who also has plenty of other stuff to be doing and which I'd much rather use for more important things than fighting excess hunger, cravings, fatigue, and other issues that may very well be related to pollutants, thanks very much. Also, jogging outside in polluted air might just make us all stupider. Doesn't that matter to you?
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I noticed people on MFP like to look at how our bodies work in a very simplified way. There's more mechanisms/processes inside us besides calories in and calories out. Also science and research is an ongoing thing there will always be new info discovered and old info retracted. The unicorns thing and umbrella examples are very different than looking at research regarding obesity links. I understand magazines publish stories because they want to sell but the headlines the OG poster posted do have research to back them up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Insulin is a hormone. We are and have been exposed to many modern day hormone disrupters. It's not that big of a stretch.

Two threads a few days back were on obesity and pollutants, sorry, was going off of that, since this topic seemed so open ended.

No matter how much your hormones may or may not be disrupted, you body can't store fat if you haven't eaten enough to enable your body to do so.

But it can mess with my satiety, possibly my thyroid function, and doubtless my energy levels, too.

I'm a human being, not a robot. What, when, and how much I eat are not simple logical formulas. They're all driven by my biochemistry and all I have to fight back with is my poor conscious mind, who also has plenty of other stuff to be doing and which I'd much rather use for more important things than fighting excess hunger, cravings, fatigue, and other issues that may very well be related to pollutants, thanks very much. Also, jogging outside in polluted air might just make us all stupider. Doesn't that matter to you?

Are you saying your conscious mind isn't better than that of a pet that's gonna eat everything and get fat if you put the food in front of it? I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you're gonna put the importance of your own mind down like that.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I noticed people on MFP like to look at how our bodies work in a very simplified way. There's more mechanisms/processes inside us besides calories in and calories out. Also science and research is an ongoing thing there will always be new info discovered and old info retracted. The unicorns thing and umbrella examples are very different than looking at research regarding obesity links. I understand magazines publish stories because they want to sell but the headlines the OG poster posted do have research to back them up.

Calories in and out is the absolute basis of your body storing and using energy. Nothing can circumvent it. Energy that isn't there can't be stored, you could put billions into research and nothing would change about this simple premise.
    If you're gaining fat it means your body received more energy than it used up and is storing that excess. If there is no excess, nothing can be stored.
  • Azuriaz
    edited October 2015
    Options

Are you saying your conscious mind isn't better than that of a pet that's gonna eat everything and get fat if you put the food in front of it? I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you're gonna put the importance of your own mind down like that.

If that were true I'd never have lost the weight that I have lost. I am saying it has cost me incredible effort to lose weight and it costs me incredible effort every day not to gain it all back. And if any part of it is due to the ingestion of man made chemicals (and possibly the over ingestion of natural mimickers, such as soy) then it's time to figure out how to put an end to that, both by avoiding these chemicals as much as I can and by being politically and socially active in an effort to clean up our environment and prevent a worsening of the problem.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options

If that were true I'd never have lost the weight that I have lost. I am saying it has cost me incredible effort to lose weight and it costs me incredible effort every day not to gain it all back. And if any part of it is due to the ingestion of man made chemicals (and possibly the over ingestion of natural mimickers, such as soy) then it's time to figure out how to put an end to that, both by avoiding these chemicals as much as I can and by being politically and socially active in an effort to clean up our environment and prevent a worsening of the problem.

What is wrong with soy and man made chemicals? I understand that soy can be bad for some, but some soy has had the isoflavins removed, which is what people, like cancer patients, are worried about. What are the man made chemicals you're talking about?
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    So I'm reading the new issue of Parents magazine... Not even 1/2 way in, I have read 3 articles already saying "such and such" is or could be linked to obesity...

Isn't what you feed yourself, or your children, as in quantity, the only thing linked to obesity, aside from medical issues??? What is going on?!

Drinking more than 12oz of caffeine a day COULD be linked to obesity
    Giving antiobotics can cause tummy troubles and have been linked to obesity
    What you talk about at the dinner table COULD/IS linked to obesity...

I do not know about the other things you talked about and I have my doubts about some of what people have printed but I can tell you that antibiotics, if you are on them a lot can mess up your system and cause you to gain weight. It happen to me.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @stevencloser Of course calories in and out is the basis of energy in your body but we aren't talking about energy, the headlines were regarding the different links to obesity. And of course in the end everyone CAN be in control of how much they eat, but these links were researched and proven to make it HARDER to control therefore leading to weight gain or obesity. The links don't cause obesity overnight and like I said previously taking antibiotics aren't going to make you gain 10 pounds over night, but it MAY affect something inside that will impede your diet. This doesn't mean we need to stop taking antibiotics or coffee it is just something we should maybe be more aware of and can explain why some people have a harder time losing weight and controlling their appetite.
    Anyway you are arguing with medical research. If you would like to read more about it you can google it and read some scholarly articles.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So I'm reading the new issue of Parents magazine... Not even 1/2 way in, I have read 3 articles already saying "such and such" is or could be linked to obesity...

Isn't what you feed yourself, or your children, as in quantity, the only thing linked to obesity, aside from medical issues??? What is going on?!

Drinking more than 12oz of caffeine a day COULD be linked to obesity
    Giving antiobotics can cause tummy troubles and have been linked to obesity
    What you talk about at the dinner table COULD/IS linked to obesity...

I do not know about the other things you talked about and I have my doubts about some of what people have printed but I can tell you that antibiotics, if you are on them a lot can mess up your system and cause you to gain weight. It happen to me.

same here
  • stevencloser
    Options
    @stevencloser Of course calories in and out is the basis of energy in your body but we aren't talking about energy, the headlines were regarding the different links to obesity. And of course in the end everyone CAN be in control of how much they eat, but these links were researched and proven to make it HARDER to control therefore leading to weight gain or obesity. The links don't cause obesity overnight and like I said previously taking antibiotics aren't going to make you gain 10 pounds over night, but it MAY affect something inside that will impede your diet. This doesn't mean we need to stop taking antibiotics or coffee it is just something we should maybe be more aware of and can explain why some people have a harder time losing weight and controlling their appetite.
    Anyway you are arguing with medical research. If you would like to read more about it you can google it and read some scholarly articles.

But then we're back at the umbrella argument. They're "linked" only so far that if you don't do anything about it you might gain weight. And if you keep being complacent and not doing anything you'll eventually become obese. By then, in my opinion, it's nothing but an excuse to say that it's because of anything other than you not doing anything to correct the problem.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options

But then we're back at the umbrella argument. They're "linked" only so far that if you don't do anything about it you might gain weight. And if you keep being complacent and not doing anything you'll eventually become obese. By then, in my opinion, it's nothing but an excuse to say that it's because of anything other than you not doing anything to correct the problem.

The point of the articles isn't to use it as an excuse and become complacent it is to help people become aware of what may hinder their weight or appetite. Some people are able to control their appetite easier than other groups of people, and with research we can better understand why there is a difference between these groups of people. And maybe create solutions based on the reasons. But you are right in the end we have control over ourselves, just for some people it comes a little bit easier.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Already had a thread I put up about this.
    The linked to, well really is correlated with, studies are useful for policy. At the individual level, anyone that accurately monitors and controls calories will achieve the weight they desire.

As a society, we're not about to start monitoring every single person's calorie intake for them, so if we'd like to reduce obesity, it becomes useful to know what things are the low hanging fruit for policy recommendations.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    The coffee correlation is the first study to state this, and says it still needs more research. Why would they even put it in the mag, then? It was done by De-Kun Li, M.D., Ph.D.

For the table conversation one, it's by Jerica Berge, Ph. D., M.P.H.. Also a new study from the University of Minnesota
  • Azuriaz
    Options

What is wrong with soy and man made chemicals? I understand that soy can be bad for some, but some soy has had the isoflavins removed, which is what people, like cancer patients, are worried about. What are the man made chemicals you're talking about?

Read up on estrogen mimickers. Also known as xenoestrogens. Lots of good stuff out there. Soy is a little different, from what I understand, unlike the nastier man-made mimickers, it leaves the body rather quickly. I don't like to consume it daily, however. Could be too much of an otherwise good thing. Why risk it? There are some studies starting to come out on air pollution and possible insulin disruption, too. And the whole air pollution and other pollutants making us stupid studies. We should probably tackle that first, while we still have a few brain cells left to do anything about it.
  • Kimegatron
    Options

Read up on estrogen mimickers. Also known as xenoestrogens. Lots of good stuff out there. Soy is a little different, from what I understand, unlike the nastier man-made mimickers, it leaves the body rather quickly. I don't like to consume it daily, however. Could be too much of an otherwise good thing. Why risk it? There are some studies starting to come out on air pollution and possible insulin disruption, too. And the whole air pollution and other pollutants making us stupid studies. We should probably tackle that first, while we still have a few brain cells left to do anything about it.

I eat soy all of the time, but I'm also not worried about the estrogen. However, I do also consume soy w/out the isoflavins sometimes. I love soy, though :D I also am cool with GMO's. I'll eat a GMO anything.