Need More Protein In My Diet!

So I've been struggling to make sure that I'm consuming more protein everyday over carbs and fats. What are some more foods you guys are eating besides lean meats that are high in protein??

Replies

• biggie569
    biggie569 Posts: 4 Member
    Here is a good source of foods that are low in carbs, as well as having a good balance of healthy fats and protein. http://authoritynutrition.com/44-healthy-low-carb-foods/
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    My main source of protein is black beans and red lentils.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Dairy, like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
    Nuts/seed, in moderation
    Eggs/egg whites
    Seafood
  • stephcott22
    stephcott22 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks!! Big BIG help!!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Protein powder, chicken breast, greek yogurt, quest bars, eggs, flapjacked pancake mix.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So I've been struggling to make sure that I'm consuming more protein everyday over carbs and fats. What are some more foods you guys are eating besides lean meats that are high in protein??

You've gotten good advice on protein sources, but why do you want to eat more protein than fat or carbs? Generally there's no benefit to increasing protein beyond .65-.8 g per lb of bodyweight, and that's goal bodyweight if you are overweight (or else .8-1 g per lb of LBM).

It looks like you managed 150 g yesterday which will generally be plenty for a woman. The over 200 that was in your goal isn't necessary. Not saying not to do it if you want, but I don't want you to think you need to make things harder than they have to be.
  • stephcott22
    My goal is to have more protein in my diet than fat and carbs everyday. I feel like I'm incorporating good carbs and fats everyday but not enough protein. Shouldn't protein make up 35-45% of my daily nutrition? I'm still learning so all your advice is welcome, I'm all ears! Thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    My goal is to have more protein in my diet than fat and carbs everyday. I feel like I'm incorporating good carbs and fats everyday but not enough protein. Shouldn't protein make up 35-45% of my daily nutrition? I'm still learning so all your advice is welcome, I'm all ears! Thanks!

.8g per pound of body weight is plenty. Are you reaching that?

• stephcott22
    arditarose wrote: »

No, I'm not reaching that. If I'm calculating correctly, I'm only getting 70-75 percent of what I should be.
  • arditarose

No, I'm not reaching that. If I'm calculating correctly, I'm only getting 70-75 percent of what I should be.

How much do you weigh and how many grams are you getting daily?
  • arditarose
    If you really want to track macros, you should work in grams.
  • stephcott22

Today I'm 209 and got in 99g of protein as I've increased my protein in the past few days. but other days it been from 20's to 50's.
  • arditarose

Today I'm 209 and got in 99g of protein as I've increased my protein in the past few days. but other days it been from 20's to 50's.

Ah, okay. You could use more.

I get a bunch of extra protein (besides lean meat and sea food) from greek yogurt and protein bars. More recently I've started using protein powder, not really in shakes as mush as adding it to food/cooking with it.
  • stephcott22

I get a bunch of extra protein (besides lean meat and sea food) from greek yogurt and protein bars. More recently I've started using protein powder, not really in shakes as mush as adding it to food/cooking with it.

Yea that's my next move! I've started adding black beans and that has helped me this week. But I'm going to head to GNC this weekend to find the right protein supplement solution for me.
  • stephcott22
    I have SO many questions in my complicated life with weight loss! I'm about to post another discussion so feel free to weigh in if you can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's .6-.8 g / lb of goal weight, I believe. If you have a lot to lose 209 wouldn't be the number to focus on. 99 g is probably fine, and your 150 g day is likely over what you need. 20-50 is too low IMO.

The trick for me is eating a decent amount of protein at every meal. Lots of people seem to get low protein at breakfast and lunch.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member

Yea that's my next move! I've started adding black beans and that has helped me this week. But I'm going to head to GNC this weekend to find the right protein supplement solution for me.
    You shouldn't have to resort to a processed product like protein powders. You'll just waste your money and not get any nutritional advantage from them. Just eat a wide variety of real/whole/unprocessed foods. It's not that complicated.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    You shouldn't have to resort to a processed product like protein powders. You'll just waste your money and not get any nutritional advantage from them. Just eat a wide variety of real/whole/unprocessed foods. It's not that complicated.

No nutritional value except all the protein, which can be very beneficial for somebody who's having a hard time hitting their protein macro. Since you're a vegan who eats an 80% carb diet (according to your profile), I'd say your protein target is probably significantly lower than the OP's, so it probably isn't too difficult for you to hit.

To the OP: There are plenty of high-quality protein powders available, and they're a convenient way to add some protein to your diet. Optimum Nutrition is almost universally regarded as a very good product. I prefer whey/casein blends - whey is quickly digested/absorbed, while casein takes longer and provides a more even curve. Casein also makes the shakes thicker and more satisfying (IMO).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    I use some protein shakes or bars, they're also quite filling. Quest bars can be at least OK tasting, as are some of the Ultra Peptide brand of powder. They aren't quite as good at protein for the calories, but they're good enough for me. Too many protein powders taste like eating gym socks.

On days I work out, I try for a large portion of lean meat for dinner, as well, as that has a great ratio of protein to calories.

Agreed, though, you should use your goal weight, not your current weight - the calculations based on "body weight" assume you have a low body fat %; they are more made for weight lifters than dieters.