Does the diet coke really has 0 calories?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

There is no sugar in diet sodas.

Diet MTN Dew has approx 0.4 calories per ounce. It's the only diet soda that has to label the 16 oz and 20 oz bottles with calories (both labels say 10 calories per bottle). I wonder if this is because they use both Aspartame and Sucralose in it. ~curious~

Every other diet soda has to have less than 0.4 calories per ounce or they wouldn't be allowed to label their 16 oz and 20 oz bottles as 0 calories.

For some people the artificial sweeteners used may cause increased appetite. For some it causes sugar cravings. Some people even get migraines from it. Those people should avoid the sweetener that causes the problem. Not everyone has those problems though. People who don't can avoid them if they wish but they don't have to.

I drink lots of diet soda. Probably more than I should. For me though it works as an appetite suppressant which is nice and helpful.
    41zd1pq179i3.jpg

Now I'm going to go make me another iced coffee with some devilish aspartame packets dumped in.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

There is no sugar in diet sodas.

Diet MTN Dew has approx 0.4 calories per ounce. It's the only diet soda that has to label the 16 oz and 20 oz bottles with calories (both labels say 10 calories per bottle). I wonder if this is because they use both Aspartame and Sucralose in it. ~curious~

Every other diet soda has to have less than 0.4 calories per ounce or they wouldn't be allowed to label their 16 oz and 20 oz bottles as 0 calories.

For some people the artificial sweeteners used may cause increased appetite. For some it causes sugar cravings. Some people even get migraines from it. Those people should avoid the sweetener that causes the problem. Not everyone has those problems though. People who don't can avoid them if they wish but they don't have to.

I drink lots of diet soda. Probably more than I should. For me though it works as an appetite suppressant which is nice and helpful.
    41zd1pq179i3.jpg

Now I'm going to go make me another iced coffee with some devilish aspartame packets dumped in.

Shame on you teasing us with that diet Mtn. Dew!! Have a heart!! B)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The people in this thread asserting that there are studies linking obesity and diet soda don't understand epidemiology, its limitations, and just what its purpose is.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    meulf6f wrote: »
    Meulf6f, you have now had time to make 2 posts since saying you had neither desire nor patience to argue the point.

Either defend your point or don't - but don't say you dont have desire or patience to continue - and then continue anyway, without actually contributing anything.

That's called flouncing.

Has either post defended a point? Does my presence offend you?
    You don't have the time and patience to defend your point, but you have the time and patience to keep sniping in the thread. I think that about sums up the legitimacy of your point.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Why insult my posts? Does it make you feel better?
    Your posts aren't being insulted. They're getting 100% of what they merit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    5 posts now.

I guess you had more time and desire than you thought.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited October 2015
    Options

Smart mouth doesn't make you smart. I know it's all you've got though. I've seen your other posts.

You have links to peer-reviewed studies showing that aspartame causes cancer?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Smart mouth doesn't make you smart. I know it's all you've got though. I've seen your other posts.
    No, but genetics and effort do.

You have links to peer-reviewed studies showing that aspartame causes cancer?

*in humans
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @meulf6f so you think you've got a valid point, can you substantiate it or are you just here for the trolling?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    And, as others have said, it has zero calories or so close to zero as to be less of a calorie issue than weighing, rounding, and natural variation errors involved with the rest of your intake will be.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @meulf6f so you think you've got a valid point, can you substantiate it or are you just here for the trolling?

If I have a valid point it has been lost thru the last few posts. Diet coke has aspartame. Aspartame is controversial. The OP cited a doctor talking unhealthy sugars. I offered that I have quit diet sodas and feel the difference... spelling it out here, but it is available to read on page 1. Also, everybody is worried about CICO. Sometimes it's about fitness (MFP) and health. Ever notice that burn in your throat when you drink diet coke? Teeth a little stained/ or even cavities? Kidneys? Dehydration? Gut health (newest craze). And studies? Forget studies. They are a dime a dozen. For years artificial sweeteners have been debated with studies. SCIENTIFIC studies. Lol. Cancer... not causing cancer.... no clear winner in my opinion. You want trolls. Lol. The trolls attacked. Good day.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    "Controversial" isn't an attribute which affects weight or health, even if the controversy were grounded in science.

It seems you're now implying that carbonation is unhealthy.

If I gave you a dime, could you cite a dozen peer-reviewed studies which concluded that aspartame causes cancer in humans? No?

Why is it always those who don't have studies to support their claims who say "forget studies"?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Get enough anecdotal stories together and you've got data

Conspiracy theorists are amusing though, no?
  • meulf6f
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Get enough anecdotal stories together and you've got data

Conspiracy theorists are amusing though, no?

No conspiracy.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    "Controversial" isn't an attribute which affects weight or health, even if the controversy were grounded in science.

It seems you're now implying that carbonation is unhealthy.

If I gave you a dime, could you cite a dozen peer-reviewed studies which concluded that aspartame causes cancer in humans? No?

Why is it always those who don't have studies to support their claims who say "forget studies"?

I see the real troll.
    Perhaps you could clear up what I've written that's trolling. Even as little as a single sentence would be good.

Additionally, you can report posts if you feel the poster is trolling. Maybe you should report mine and see how that works out for you.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Good day. I'm sure you will be making your little jabs in the next thread I read.
    If there's someone making baseless assertions and falling back on "controversial," I will probably be pointing it out there, too.

There are far too many examples of people lobbing unsupportable ideas into threads and then getting all indignant when people ask them to support those ideas. I doubt people who cite a burning throat while drinking a carbonated beverage are going to change their minds, but there is some evidence that other readers might.

• kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not sure about diet coke, but diet mtn dew has 5 calories in a 16.9 oz bottle. Drink enough of them and it adds up.
  • meulf6f
    Options
    Good day. I'm sure you will be making your little jabs in the next thread I read.
    If there's someone making baseless assertions and falling back on "controversial," I will probably be pointing it out there, too.

There are far too many examples of people lobbing unsupportable ideas into threads and then getting all indignant when people ask them to support those ideas. I doubt people who cite a burning throat while drinking a carbonated beverage are going to change their minds, but there is some evidence that other readers might.

Your opinion. And as I said in the beginning, whatever the OP does gets a good luck from me.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »
    Not sure about diet coke, but diet mtn dew has 5 calories in a 16.9 oz bottle. Drink enough of them and it adds up.
    If drink ten of them -- over 1.25 gallons -- they'll add up to the same calories as four ounces of roasted chicken breast.