WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep so here I am. Wow! 240 posts to catch up on. I'll probably just skim right now.

Wed. went to deep water, Thurs did an hour of Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD, yesterday did an ExtremeCardio DVD for 45 minutes, today did a DVD by Mel B that was cardio, legs, arms, and tums. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Yoga Burn DVD that I have.

Jess is coming down tomorrow, she has an orthodontist appt on Mon. Made chocolate chip cookies, not sure if she's going to see her friend Amanda while she's down here. If so, she can take some to Amanda's son. Also made a bacon cheese bread, gave half of it to a friend who came to have Vince help him with his computer. I'll give the other half to Jess or else half of that to her friend and the other half to Jess.

Been doing lots of stringing of the popcorn for the Christmas tree. We need to have it for our tree (9'), the one Vince bought last year, and now this year he got ANOTHER tree. He's talking about getting yet another one next year.

Had some of the cookie dough (as is my compulsion) but now I feel "yukky". My stomach is just saying "I don't think so". That's a good thing

Joyce - that was so nice of that guy to help you with your battery

Heather - who decides if there is emotional abuse, who makes the final call?

tazgirl - welcome back

Welcome everyone new!

Mary from MN - have a great trip

A friend of Jess' feel that she's a bad pet owner and has asked Jess to take her dog. I know on one hand Jess is concerned that if she didn't take the dog, then the friend would give it to the SPCA and it'll be put down. It is a very well behaved dog. Not sure what she'll do in the end.

Cheryl - wish I had specific exercises for the gut....but I don't. Really, there's no such thing as spot reducing (I'm sure you've heard that). You need to exercise not only your abs but also the opposing muscle group the back. You also need to do cardio to get rid of fat. But nothing seems to be helping me. There is a BMI chart that will tell you if you are in the overweight or obese category. But to be honest, it really isn't that accurate since it doesn't take into account muscle mass. A person may weigh more due to lots of muscle and therefore be in the overweight category but really not be overweight at all.

Sharon - I had quinoa the other morning for breakfast. Good for a change. Thanks for the idea. Tomorrow I'm planning to have egg and egg substitute, but soup for dinner. Sometimes I have soup for breakfast if there's some that I need to finish up

katla - I'm so so sorry for your daughter

Becca - I love reading your posts. How I wish we could get together! Maybe one day.....

Maryann in Michigan - welcome to your new walking partner. I'm sure both of you will get so much out of the experience.

Joyce - take care of yourself. You worry and take such good care of Charlie be sure to be good to yourself, too.

Congrats on all the successes

Alison - when our cat got skunked (twice) the vet prescribed this spray. That was the ONLY time the cat actually let me spray him. So sorry for the way you were woken up. Loved the advice pip gave you

DJ - what a way to ring in the new year. You may not have been all there, but with a hottie!

Sylvia - I can't believe they want you to do a funraiser now after having invested so much. I would ask them for at least something to compensate you

Carol in NC - you go girl! Go for that other job!

pip - exercising while recuperating is really very helpful. I know of a few women who have taught aerobics while going thru chemo and they had a much easier time of it.

Becca - good for you taking time off from TOPS. Things just didn't sound very happy for you there. And we love having you here, so by not going to the TOPS meetings means you'll get to spend more time here, which is a good thing

Sylvia - UPDATE - I'm so glad things are working out for you with that workshop payment

katla - my mother had 2 miscarriages before she had me. I'm sure it's because I'm RH-. Most people are RH+. The first time was probably an honest miscarriage. But my guess is that the second was because she didn't get RhoGam (I don't even know if they knew about it back then). I survived I'm thinking because I'm - and she was probably - too. I don't think this is your daughter's situation since they'd have checked for that before. but 60+ years ago they probably didn't know to.

Tina - I'm surprised that your dh could drive himself to the hosp. I know when Vince has problems (none so far since the operation) he'd drive himself but he wanted me in the car in case he needed to pull over.

Lisa - Vince is a real stickler for saying the exact words that you mean, so he's a lot like you. What a soap opera this restaurant is! I do enjoy reading it tho. I'm so sorry they're letting it go downhill again. I can imagaine that frustrates you to no end.

Mary from MN - beautiful pic

Chris - wonderful your outing with your friends, and even more wonderful that they understood where you were coming from

Lenora when we had PJ (cat), one time we took him to the vet. They were taking his bp. Do you now that he fell asleep on the table?????? Welcome to your new addition! Bonnie and Clyde had different names at the Humane Society but we renamed them. One was buttercup and the other Reese Pieces. Can you imagine someone who retired from Mars having a cat called Reeses Pieces? We need a pic to help us with the name

pip - love your new pic

Brenda from MD - good for you making your reservations now to go to CO. You know that the prices will only go up

pip - I'm just constantly amazed at your dedication to exercise.

Joyce - I don't care for crowds, either. They have an Octoberfest in Hickory. Actually, it's this weekend. I've never gone, mainly because it's so crowded.

Joyce - congrats on pyaing off your car. What a great feeling that is. And so glad Charlie is eating so well.

Vince just got the bill from the hosp for his ablation. $39,000. But insurance paid -- get this one -- 100%

Glo - do you know that my hot air popcorn maker won't start until you plug it in? I don't think my last one was like that

Yes, I've seen DeeDee on the newfeed also

Sue from Scotland - I've had osteoporosis for years and there's really no exercise that I'm not supposed to do. Lifting weights is good since it puts a load on your bones as does any impact exercise. Swimming is low to no impact. Walking is, so are lots of other exercises.

Chris in MA - beautiful pic. You sure are lucky

barbie - happy birthday to Jake

Lenora - it's good to have a dessert that you only have when you go out, but don't have a home as it would be too tempting at home.

terri - I feel for ya. Look into getting a loan. Hopefully you can buy the house and rent to your father

Joyce - never heard of pig brains. Not exactly something that I want to try, either

Michele in NC
    who is hopefully caught up for now
  • blueyedblonde68
    blueyedblonde68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    24ffiqhmneg5.jpg

Thanks to Heather, Gretchen Rubin, and Voltaire for this wonderful saying that has encouraged so many of us.

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?
    What goals and resolutions have you planned for October?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy065.gif

September resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day (about 13,000 due to my injury)
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day (every day without fail)
    *strength training twice a week (no strength training due to injury)
    *15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone (not every day, but accomplished a lot)
    * meditate for five minutes four or more days a week (even more than that)

October Resolutions
    *walk an average of 13,000+ steps a day
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day
    *finish organizing photos and other files on computer)
    *meditate for 5-10 minutes a day four or more days a week

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

• blueyedblonde68
    Options
    I'm from The True North Strong. Canada ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia - I don't really have a recipe as such, it depends how much basil I've got. I have a plant on my windowsill, which has been going for ages and I buy a new one from the supermarket when it gives up the ghost. When it looks too bushy I chop it back and throw it in the food processor with a few cloves of garlic, a glug of olive oil, seasoning to taste and a small handful of pine nuts. I very lightly toast the pine nuts first in a dry frying pan. Hardly any colour. I just whizz it up until smooth. I don't add the grated parmesan unless I am eating it straight away and if I am having it on veg, like butternut squash, I don't bother. If I am freezing it in tiny pots, then I don't put it the parmesan, but add it when I use it.

Michele - I'm not sure how the new law is working, or if there have been any prosecutions, but it would be the same as physicsl abuse I guess. Getting evidence or witnesses would be crucial. :*

Having no luck losing my couple of extra pounds. :'( Somewhere I must be eating too many calories. I put them on when we had all the worry about the baby and we were dashing up to London a lot. I'm not putting any more on now, but they are not disappearing. I have tried extra burning and eating a bit less, but will have to cut back a bit more. Only six days to go! :sad:

So glad all the surgery people are healing well. :flowerforyou:

Terri - get some good financial advice and find out what your father wants. You have time to plan.(( Hugs.))

Love to all. Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    morning friends~
    well I stayed up and read a whole book last of the stephanie plum series, now I got 3 out of between the number books, they are small and that shouldnt take to long... think I am going to take my ipad today to use as a camera and we shall see if I can get some good pictures
    when we go to Florida, Fall weather is what I will miss the most..
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Terri: I don’t think this is trivial; you have every right to be upset. ((hugs))

Sylvia: what a special moment with Spot!

Joyce: OMG, actual brains?? Sounds more like French influence (they eat literally everything).

Mia: hope you’re feeling better.

Not much to tell today. I passed another quiz in my online course. It’s cold today, but sunny, so we will try to have lunch outdoors anyway.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Joyce
    it's nice to see your feeling better and back in your shop.

Terri
    Be careful not to deal on this until your sick. Thinks seem to always get fixed with time.

Blueeyed blond
    You say Northern Ontaio. I'm from Cochrane if you know where that is.

I'm trying something new Low carbing it's working well on my blood sugar numbers and right now that's what matters most. If weight comes off bonus. Was down 5 lbs at tops last week. And seeing some kind of loss this week. That's on the wii. Will use tops weight. That way won't fluctuate from day to day.

Nice to see you all. For those of you stressing don't it won't fix anything. Go our for a walk. Go for coffee with friends. Whatever but keep the mind busy.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • blueyedblonde68
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Joyce
    it's nice to see your feeling better and back in your shop.

Terri
    Be careful not to deal on this until your sick. Thinks seem to always get fixed with time.

Blueeyed blond
    You say Northern Ontaio. I'm from Cochrane if you know where that is.

I'm trying something new Low carbing it's working well on my blood sugar numbers and right now that's what matters most. If weight comes off bonus. Was down 5 lbs at tops last week. And seeing some kind of loss this week. That's on the wii. Will use tops weight. That way won't fluctuate from day to day.

Nice to see you all. For those of you stressing don't it won't fix anything. Go our for a walk. Go for coffee with friends. Whatever but keep the mind busy.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario

• blueyedblonde68
    Options
    Hi Linda
    Yes I know where Cochrane is. I'm in Barrie ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,396 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    October Goals A few days late with my Week 1 update, :naughty: but better late than never :blush:

Start weight: 210lbs (Spring 2015)
    Current weight: 167lbs
    Goal weight: 163lbs :( 167 On a plateau again.

Daily goals:

:star: Pre-log/follow through :) So far so good. 7/7
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat :) 6/7 days.
    :star: 8+ cups liquids :) 7/7
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility :) 7/7 Having to do 2x30 minutes of physio daily helped
    :star: increase steps by 200+ daily :) up from 3600 per day to 5500 per day.
    :star: finish eating at 9pm weekdays :) 7/7 I didn't need the weekend extension
    :star: finish eating at 10pm weekends :) 0/7 found that I didn't want to eat later after all
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today :smile: 7/7 This is a great incentive to reset your goals daily.
    :star: post progress - No Late Night Snacking :) 7/7 Accountability really helped me with this one.
    :star: complete Hogwarts challenges :) week 1 completes today. I have managed all the challenges.
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here :naughty:

I have read everyone's posts, but we are off out to visit family so no time to comment much.

Terri Mom That is not trivial. You must have been gob-smacked when DD dropped that bombshell! At least you have a little time to formulate a plan. I hope you find a way through.
    Heather I agree with you on the meal at home. We nearly always celebrate at home as we are both quite good cooks and prefer to know exactly what is in the food we eat. Our favourite celebration meal is smoked salmon, followed by sirloin steak with stir fry veg, (done in a non-stick pan and sprayed with One Cal) and Tiramisu (which DH makes). For Family dos, everyone brings a dish, so no real cooking to do.

(((Hugs!))) if you need them.

Talk more later.

Irish Terri

• blueyedblonde68
    Options
    Hi terry
    What's Hogwarts challenges?
  • blueyedblonde68
    Options
    Oops sorry I ment Terri
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    120247mcv711uxx1.gif
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Another beautiful fall day here.

I'm unable to attend church this morning ... Older son mentally struggling this weekend (wheelchair bound for those unfamiliar with my story) and needs me to stay with him. Husband and younger son just left.

Lin ... "Don't stress" ... Such a simple, perfect answer ... So very hard to apply ...

Plan to close pool, peel some apples, do a little batch cooking, watch a little football (by default as it will be on all day) and take a look at a decorative mirror I saw for sale.

Hope you all have a great day!

Beth in western New York

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,396 Member
    Options
    F
    Hi terry
    What's Hogwarts challenges?

It's a Harry Potter themed weight loss challenge.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    120247mcv711uxx1.gif

Ha! Yeah, I don't know many normal people, Glo. Not sure what it looks like any more!

Hugs to those in need, backpats to those who triumph, and welcome to the new ones... this place is amazing because these people are amazing. I'm here every day, though I don't write every day.

The DH and I worked on the warehouse the entire day yesterday (we bought an old warehouse three months ago now, if you weren't aware). I hit 10,000 steps and then five miles by about 2 p.m., and took over 15,000 steps all told. I used the gas trimmer to clean up the overgrown spots, and then raked four big lawn-leaf size garbage bags of detritus and dead weeds up, while he fixed the roof--hopefully enough to get it completely dry inside, but at a minimum, at least dry over the apartment area.

The building is completely constructed of wood, with corrugated tin sides and roof. When one of the owners removed the corrugated fiberglass skylight piece above the apartment office area and replaced it with regular tin, they overlapped it exactly wrong, with the lower roofing piece on top, instead of below the uppermost one, and ended up guiding water inside instead of keeping it dry. Then, instead of fixing it, someone put a piece of roofing tin under the massive leak inside the building that was coming in on top of the apartment area. It was apparently meant to serve as a kind of gutter to guide the incoming water over to the concrete floor of the warehouse. The apartment drywall ceiling is literally falling in, as that cobbled-up fix simply didn't work. People do weird stuff.

Anyway, right now, the plan is to paint the outside of the building, or at least the front and sides, next weekend, and I swear I'll post before and afters at that point.

As exhausting as it was, it was just so incredibly satisfying to work on something that is ours. Much as we love living on the ranch, and we do very much, the house we live in will never be ours. Part of my DH's job is to maintain the buildings on this part of the ranch, so he's replaced the kitchen sink, bathroom faucets, and so on. But it's part of the job--I refuse to get attached to a place that is not ours, as does he. You can love something very much while knowing it will not ever be yours. But it makes you long for something that is yours, which is why we bought the warehouse.

Terri - this makes me think of you. I hope you can come to some agreement that helps you feel your sense of ownership again in your house. Feeling secure in the place where you live (or will live someday, like us) is important.

Anyway--finished up the current crop of statistics for the restaurant yesterday morning and sent those off. Too early to tell if the new manager is affecting things, but signs are hopeful. More to do this morning and get sent off, and then five more days work for them. Much of that I have to spend onsite, I'm afraid, but hope to be able to get a couple sets of directions built for creating things in the system, like adding new items and adding discounts. Speaking of detachment, that is exactly what I have to do. His failure or success is in his own hands... I plowed the ground, but he will sow the crop and harvest it.

Time to get to work before I get too philosophical.

Happy Sunday!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    exermom - "Cracker" is white with sort of a peanut butter color area that goes from her neck all the way to her butt. If she was black and had this same stripe, I probably would have named her "Oreo". She just looks like a "Cracker". At the shelter she was called "Missy". She was a stray they picked up from a BBQ when someone called them. She is a terrier mix, with sort of a combination of short (mostly) and long hair. Animal shelter told me that when they really gave her a 'good' bath most of the shedding she was doing would stop and if I brushed her it would also help; more likely caused from being locked up for almost 2 weeks. No telling how long she had been without a home. The long hair is also around her snoot and on her feet and between them. She really 'is' cute; but, I know some would say, 'she'd so ugly she's cute'. I don't know where the name "Cracker" came from, it just came into my head when I saw her. They also told me to give her a treat each time she came to me after calling her the 'new' name.

As for the Crème Brule; I only eat it when we go out to eat. We're planning on going to Carraba's to eat and I have checked several dishes I can have and still stay under my daily caloric intake - if I don't have a cocktail. I like 'some' martinis and I might get one, if everybody else is ordering a cocktail, even though that will put me over some (by 188 calories). Tomorrow I get together with some of my HS classmates and I don't know what I will eat; but, it will mean that I probably eat just 2 meals for the day. Now I guess I will check the website for the little café we go to and see what I can find.

Rats - I've got a sore inside my ear and it is driving me absolutely crazy; it will bleed if I scratch it and then afterwards I will get some of the tissue that is growing there. If it continues I will go see about it; but, I can't think that it would be anything other than where I have somehow scratched it in the beginning.

Today, if it warms up and does look like it is going to storm, DH and I might go to the mall and walk around. It is a huge mall and mostly more like a 'strip mall' than an enclosed mall where the stores are all on the inside part. I' like to go get a book on 'how to train a dog' (Terrier). Can't wait to take her to my regular vet for her 'get-to-know-them' when I pick her up. I definitely need to buy a crate for her, for carrying purposes. I think I will buy her a kennel, and bed; so she can be 'in the house' with us; at least for a while I'm not sure that Louis is going to allow me to have her as an 'inside' pet once she is 'grown'. If she doesn't shed and if keeping he washed will keep her from smelling bad and doesn't bring fleas (she'll be on medication) we might let her stay in. My son, lets his Mountain Feist come inside when he gets home, especially if it is rainy and messy and cold out. She is so well behaved that she does anything he tells her to do. His wife and step-daughter have a small *kitten* zhu mix (with a Chihuahua) and he stays inside other than to go outside to do his business. They can't let him outside if they are at their 'lake home' because of Jake the lab who would probably kill him.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Right after I posted yesterday, I got a phone call informing me that a friend's husband died suddenly of a massive heart attack Friday night. He was one of the group of friends that I went to Mexico with in August. He was 58 and had no health issues. We are all deviststated and rallied around our friend last night.
    This reaffirms what I said a couple if weeks ago, do not take your friends for granted, life is too fragile. I am so glad I went on vacation with John and cherish the memories.
    I am going to take Jake the rescue dog for a walk now and then meeting friends for an afternoon of thrift store shopping. All very therapeutic.

Love you all my friends
    Chris in MA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Thanks for your kind thoughts for my daughter. She's sad about losing the baby, but she was having way too much bleeding. I'm sorry for the loss but her health is my first priority. She's moving forward with her plans to move, and they were having a big garage sale the last I heard. That is an excellent thing for them to do. They have WAY too much stuff. Converting some of it to cash is a great idea. :flowerforyou:

LinCharpentier: I agree with your advice about stress. It is bad for a person's health. Letting it go can be very difficult, though. I've had success with increasing my exercise and working at changing my focus toward things that I can be happy about. It is a helpful strategy for me although not always perfect. :flowerforyou:

TerriRichards: Great work on your goals! What are the Hogwarts Challenges? You've got me curious! :huh:

Lisa: Your restaurant rescue is a victory. I hope they are able to keep things going in a positive direction. I can understand your desire to own something that is your own. Just curious, does the ranch have a retirement plan for long time employees? :huh:

Chris in MA: I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. :disappointed: :

DS is here to work on reassembling his boat. I generally enjoy his company but he has lots of opinions on what I or we should be doing. Do you suppose this is payback for all our advice over the years? :laugh: He and I walked downtown, which is a block or two away, and watched the Pumpkin Lighting Ceremony. I think I have already mentioned it. I was totally astonished at the number of people there and I find I'm still marveling at it. Our "Old Town" is very cute and was the site of Halloween Town and some filming for Twilight.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png