Options

Replies

• Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    How's it going, OP?

I haven't done the 2nd one yet... Lack of time (big work project due tomorrow afternoon, I can't wait for it to be over!), but also my legs were so sore until yesterday, I couldn't have gone even if I'd wanted to. It's much better today, I don't wince every time I go down the stairs, so if I focus on work and get it 90% done by the time I go to bed tonight, I'll do the workout tomorrow morning. And if not, then I'll do it on Thursday morning, definitely. It's probably going to take a while to go through the first few weeks if I need to have more days in between workouts, but I've started this and I won't give up!

Every single person in this thread has been so helpful, you're all amazing. And I see my post also seems to be encouraging other people! We can do it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lovely to track your progress, @Mangsney . I was in as poor shape as you when I started. My daughter was terrified I'd injure myself so I took an eight week class very similar to the C25K program last winter. The first day I ran, I had no idea how to start. Then I recalled a line from Chris McDougall's "Born to Run". A run is a controlled fall. So I leaned forward until I felt like I was about to fall, and I was off.....

To prevent the sort of pain you are experiencing, do a full range of stretches after your run. My physiotherapist swears by a full ten minute walk to warm up before running.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »
    Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

C25K does work! I am substantially heavier than you, have foot issues and am still able to do it! Granted, I go very slow -- my jog may be other's walk -- but this is between me and the ground, so it does not matter. I do it on a treadmill.

I started a group for others who weren't sure about C25K if you'd like to join along until you are ready to start...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109132-deediddygees-c25k-starting-now-october-2015

• DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm loving this thread. You guys are so inspiring.

I'm 48 and am up to Week 2 Day 2 of C25K and loving it. I'm doing my first parkrun tomorrow (I'll walk/run). I can't wait!

I am 50 and tomorrow I will do Week 3, Day 2 of C25K. Have you started Week 3 yet! Wowza! :)
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " Don't try to go fast. Go slow. Go almost painfully slow. You're just starting out. Plan your first attempts as a "down and back". Start in one direction and continue that way for half of your planed distance. If you then feel like "quitting" you'll have to walk back the other half. There, YOU STARTED.

Enjoy the trip.

Sage advice! Love this!
  • Mangsney
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lovely to track your progress, @Mangsney . I was in as poor shape as you when I started. My daughter was terrified I'd injure myself so I took an eight week class very similar to the C25K program last winter. The first day I ran, I had no idea how to start. Then I recalled a line from Chris McDougall's "Born to Run". A run is a controlled fall. So I leaned forward until I felt like I was about to fall, and I was off.....

To prevent the sort of pain you are experiencing, do a full range of stretches after your run. My physiotherapist swears by a full ten minute walk to warm up before running.

I definitely need to pay attention to stretching properly. Thank you for the link! Also, I'm going to keep the 5 minutes it takes me to walk to the park as an additional warm-up, and only start the app once I get there.
  • Mangsney
    Options
    Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

C25K does work! I am substantially heavier than you, have foot issues and am still able to do it! Granted, I go very slow -- my jog may be other's walk -- but this is between me and the ground, so it does not matter. I do it on a treadmill.

I started a group for others who weren't sure about C25K if you'd like to join along until you are ready to start...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109132-deediddygees-c25k-starting-now-october-2015

I'd have liked to join your group, but unfortunately it doesn't look like I can keep a strict schedule at the moment, what with the unpredictable workflow (part of the joy of being self-employed) and the longer resting periods. Thank you for telling me about it, though!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options

I'd have liked to join your group, but unfortunately it doesn't look like I can keep a strict schedule at the moment, what with the unpredictable workflow (part of the joy of being self-employed) and the longer resting periods. Thank you for telling me about it, though!

No schedule needed. Just a good place to see the weekly schedule and make some friends....invite is always open for you! ;)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I weighed close to 200 pounds at 5'5", I was a smoker. I got diagnosed with a cancer (i'm ok), threw out the butts, and needed something to reduce stress. I didn't think I could do it either, but I did. If you try it, don't get down on yourself the first few times. I did, and had to start over a few times. If you follow it exactly, not doing to much too soon, you'll do great.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Am I too old at 62 or just making excuses?

I'm 60 and work out 6 days s week. I run on my treadmill about 5k which takes 26 min 2-3 times a week and do intensive DVDs (T25). When I started 4 months ago I hadn't worked out at all in 5 months. I thought it would be easy to get back in shape and would take me one week. Hello 60's!! It was really hard, I felt like I was 80, and had to slow everything down. If you're just starting, listen to your body and take a rest day when needed. I now feel like I'm 40! I highly recommend any exercise and you might as well start now as nobody is getting any younger :smile: .

• Mangsney
    Options

No schedule needed. Just a good place to see the weekly schedule and make some friends....invite is always open for you! ;)

Oh I see. So it's not a kind of challenge, were you start on October 1st and you have X weeks to do the program? If I join now and go at my own pace (i.e. sometimes more than a week to do 3 workouts), I can still post in all the threads as I slowly work my way through it?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I didn't use that program. But I did always swear I would only run if I was being chased. And now I do it by choice! I started slowly jogging/walking in intervals. I use strategically timed songs. Gradually, I picked up the pace and jogged more and walked less. Then I was alternating jogging and running.

You can totally do this! :smiley:

This right here was me and I hit a trail (old railroad bed) with very few people so that no one would see me jiggle as I ran from one telephone pole to the next. It's been a couple years now, now I run just because I can, doesn't matter how far or how fast, it makes me happy just getting out there and that jiggle...... oh it's still there, I just don't care anymore. My favorite time to run is Sunday morning, sometimes it's the only run I get during the week but I soak it up because it's ME time.

• Mangsney
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I didn't use that program. But I did always swear I would only run if I was being chased. And now I do it by choice! I started slowly jogging/walking in intervals. I use strategically timed songs. Gradually, I picked up the pace and jogged more and walked less. Then I was alternating jogging and running.

You can totally do this! :smiley:

This right here was me and I hit a trail (old railroad bed) with very few people so that no one would see me jiggle as I ran from one telephone pole to the next. It's been a couple years now, now I run just because I can, doesn't matter how far or how fast, it makes me happy just getting out there and that jiggle...... oh it's still there, I just don't care anymore. My favorite time to run is Sunday morning, sometimes it's the only run I get during the week but I soak it up because it's ME time.

I'm glad I've started this at this time of year, when the temperature starts dropping (it only gets to about 13°C / 55°F here now), so I can wear a few layers. Because there's a good amount of jiggle going on, and I wouldn't want to be doing it in only trousers and a sleeveless top! :D Hopefully, if I'm running regularly by next summer, I won't be so self-conscious about what to wear / how I look.
  • Mangsney
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 done! Seemed harder to start with, but afterwards I took a slightly longer route home for some extra walking/stretching. I would have liked to stay in the park a little longer, if I'm honest, but I had to come back to finish my work. All done now!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 done! Seemed harder to start with, but afterwards I took a slightly longer route home for some extra walking/stretching. I would have liked to stay in the park a little longer, if I'm honest, but I had to come back to finish my work. All done now!

You rock! Keep up the good work!~
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good start :)
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I hear you guys about the jiggle but I figured it was better I'm out doing something!

Week 7 Day 1 was 25 minutes (don't know why i thought 24) - maybe I had myself psyched out about that extra minute because I thought I was going to throw up.

Does anyone find different surfaces make a big difference? Treadmill is much easier but SO boring. I love the trails in the parks where I am - there are several I can go to depending on my drive home. I prefer the fine packed gravel one around a pond, through some trees, past soccer fields, etc. But for a change of pace I did a paved one and it wasn't all flat - more undulations/very small hills. And I was struggling to breath the last couple minutes and felt sick. My cool down was truly the slowest I ever walk. I wondered if it was the small rolling hills (we're talking over 40 ft maybe 5 feet in elevation and back down) that worked me harder than I realized.

So last night I hydrated well and slept well and I'll try the gravel one with less elevation differences. Week 7 Day 2 is still 25 minutes.

It's funny the C25K assumes I'm running 10 minute miles. Uh, not even close. I'm around a 13.5 minute mile. I'll have to work my way up to a 5K when I'm done with the program.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    most people are doing a full 5k at the end of the program. most programs are time based and you can work on speed as you grow as a runner

different ground does affect running for some people. i do sidewalks but did a paved trail the other day and even that felt different. i would love to go run some trails. i prefer mulched. feels better on my feet out of all of the surfaces
  • Mangsney
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The small park 5 minutes away from here has a paved path that goes all the way around it, so that's what I run on. Similar to pavement, I suppose. It's mostly flat and thank G*d for that because I know changes in elevation would be the end of me... :s
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SpecialKH wrote: »

Does anyone find different surfaces make a big difference?

It does for me. While I find I can run a bit faster on pavement the trade off is the run beats me up more (presumably due to the higher impact due to the hardness of the surface.)

I prefer running on soft, crunchy trails but there's a practicality issue of the time it takes to get to one from where I live. However, if my run is going to be long (by my standards - probably what many people would consider short!) I always try and make the effort as it is easier on my body.