So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options

Replies

• cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. .

Except, as several people have pointed out, that's exactly what he did...

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to?

Because McDonald's food is bangin'.

yea it is.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I'm disappointed that a teacher would suggest such a thing. Maybe, if you went to one of those McDonald's with a pasta bar and big old salad bar, you'd have a good shot at it. But not at your typical McDonald's.

Especially when dieting, eating food that's chock full of calories and pretty low on vitamins and minerals...it's not the healthiest way to go. People who aren't eating as much food as their body needs and want to do this in a healthy way should make an effort to get as many vitamins and minerals into their diets as humanly possible by eating a variety of fruits and veggies.

I hope that guy got paid a lot of money to suggest that eating McDonald's exclusively is a healthy diet.

Not all the food there is low on vitamins and high calorie.

Example:
    Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad - no dressing
    Grilled
    310 calories
    38 g protein
    9 g carbs
    14 g fat
    9090 IU Vitamin A
    220 mg Calcium
    33 mg Vitamin C

Add one of the low fat dressings and the calories increase 30-50.

If you made very careful choices you probably could meet nutritional needs, but a lot of thought would have to go into your selections and I'm not sure you would actually feel satisfied.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    He lives and works in Iowa -- 16th highest state in the US for adult obesity at a 32.6 percent adult obesity rate. Also a state with 90% of its land devoted to corn.
    His students have a better prospect for a healthy future because of what they learned through this project.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If nobody is doing this for Wendy's, I volunteer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I'm disappointed that a teacher would suggest such a thing. Maybe, if you went to one of those McDonald's with a pasta bar and big old salad bar, you'd have a good shot at it. But not at your typical McDonald's.

Especially when dieting, eating food that's chock full of calories and pretty low on vitamins and minerals...it's not the healthiest way to go. People who aren't eating as much food as their body needs and want to do this in a healthy way should make an effort to get as many vitamins and minerals into their diets as humanly possible by eating a variety of fruits and veggies.

I hope that guy got paid a lot of money to suggest that eating McDonald's exclusively is a healthy diet.
    I would argue that inmates in prisons consume lowest quality, lowest nutritional value food 3 times daily and they aren't likely dying from health issues from lack of them. Part of the reason why is because if weight is controlled, which happens because food is portioned out, there's less likely hood of health issues.
    The video didn't focus on McDonald's as being a healthy diet, but more one how one can eat fast food and not get excessively over weight if they use critical thinking skills to make objective choices.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Nothing really new.
    Also the author of the documentary Fat Head (that's from 2009, even before the "twinkie diet" experiment) lost weight eating only at fast food restaurants for a month.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xIWmIDyCz4
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So its a draw between the experiments, one each? I guess those who are anti Maccies will side with supersize me and those not anti maccies will side the other way...gee what a surprise.

My take, is do what works for you as long as you are achieving your goals...some goals just aren't about weight loss. For a long time I was anti meal replacement shakes, jenny craig...etc...but now for the most part, unless it is something extreme and obviously unhealthy, I support doing whatever works for the goals set.

I will for the next two weeks be enjoying lots of authentic Thai and will definitely not be having any second thoughts as to what I am eating and how healthy or not it will be :)

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Some of what I'm seeing here just emphasizes the need for better education in the art of critical thinking - and that IS a point the teacher made quite clear.

Amen.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

Actually, they are significantly correlative. "Healthy" and "unhealthy" are such broadly (and loosely) applied, vague terms that they border on meaningless. Having said that, the article did state that his blood levels improved.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I would argue that inmates in prisons consume lowest quality, lowest nutritional value food 3 times daily and they aren't likely dying from health issues from lack of them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I'm not interested in arguing, but am wondering why - even if it's true - that has anything to do with what I said. Why would you argue that? I guess that's what interests me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

Actually, they are significantly correlative. "Healthy" and "unhealthy" are such broadly (and loosely) applied, vague terms that they border on meaningless. Having said that, the article did state that his blood levels improved.
    Just adding here that weight is still the number one indicator for assessing someone's health.
    I mentioned before that prison inmates eat low quality (even lower than Mcdonald's) daily and for years for lots of them. Yet many aren't suffering health maladies that people in general population who are overweight/obese are even if they do have better nutritional food options. And weight is going to be the main difference between the two. There are hardly any very overweight/obese prison inmates.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I can't afford to eat at McDonald's 3 times a day and feel full! Also, I could plan the calories, but planning all the nutrients and stuff daily might get a little time consuming for me (although easier with the help of MFP).

I used to work at McDonald's as a supervisor and I got one free meal a day, up to like $7.50 or something, and I just tried to get as much food to fill me up (weren't supposed to leave the restaurant with the free food, it was against the rules). I wonder how I would approach it now while using MFP, probably a lot differently.

(And just a side note: McDonald's got rid of sweet chili sauce and that was always my condiment of choice. I was a little upset when I learned about it, but now I just have to buy sweet chili at the grocery store.)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Nothing really new.
    Also the author of the documentary Fat Head (that's from 2009, even before the "twinkie diet" experiment) lost weight eating only at fast food restaurants for a month.

Actually, if you understand what the science teacher is attempting to do in the experiment he did along with his students, you can see that there's very little (if any) real connection between what he's putting forward and what the guy who made "Fathead" (who's pretty much a scam artist) tried to say.

Some of what I'm seeing here just emphasizes the need for better education in the art of critical thinking - and that IS a point the teacher made quite clear.

being a "brand ambassador" while educating "in the art of critical thinking"? The man is a genius, no doubt :smile:
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Is this the 1940s where we can't make educated inferences about obvious things. Yes you can lose weight eating only pop-tarts. No, you should not.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I would argue that inmates in prisons consume lowest quality, lowest nutritional value food 3 times daily and they aren't likely dying from health issues from lack of them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I'm not interested in arguing, but am wondering why - even if it's true - that has anything to do with what I said. Why would you argue that? I guess that's what interests me.
    Your point was on health due to food being consumed. Inmates don't eat healthy food, yet many have the same health (physically) as those who aren't overweight in general population. While there are essentials that are needed for daily function, there are lots of healthy people out there that don't get in the RDA of vitamins and minerals and do fine.
    It's not always about eating healthy food to be healthy. If that were entirely true, then Inuits and other indigenous people who thrive mostly on high fat diets with little vegetables should probably be dead at 30 years of age.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Gianfranco_R
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Your point was on health due to food being consumed. Inmates don't eat healthy food, yet many have the same health (physically) as those who aren't overweight in general population. While there are essentials that are needed for daily function, there are lots of healthy people out there that don't get in the RDA of vitamins and minerals and do fine.
    It's not always about eating healthy food to be healthy. If that were entirely true, then Inuits and other indigenous people who thrive mostly on high fat diets with little vegetables should probably be dead at 30 years of age.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

is really that bad prison food in the US? I can't believe it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

is really that bad prison food in the US? I can't believe it.
    The average cost spent on a three meal day for a prisoner is $3.00. Imagine what you get for that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png