So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Nothing really new.
    Also the author of the documentary Fat Head (that's from 2009, even before the "twinkie diet" experiment) lost weight eating only at fast food restaurants for a month.

Actually, if you understand what the science teacher is attempting to do in the experiment he did along with his students, you can see that there's very little (if any) real connection between what he's putting forward and what the guy who made "Fathead" (who's pretty much a scam artist) tried to say.

Some of what I'm seeing here just emphasizes the need for better education in the art of critical thinking - and that IS a point the teacher made quite clear.

being a "brand ambassador" while educating "in the art of critical thinking"? The man is a genius, no doubt :smile:

You're expecting us to assume that all brands are bad.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I'm disappointed that a teacher would suggest such a thing. Maybe, if you went to one of those McDonald's with a pasta bar and big old salad bar, you'd have a good shot at it. But not at your typical McDonald's.

Especially when dieting, eating food that's chock full of calories and pretty low on vitamins and minerals...it's not the healthiest way to go. People who aren't eating as much food as their body needs and want to do this in a healthy way should make an effort to get as many vitamins and minerals into their diets as humanly possible by eating a variety of fruits and veggies.

I hope that guy got paid a lot of money to suggest that eating McDonald's exclusively is a healthy diet.
    I would argue that inmates in prisons consume lowest quality, lowest nutritional value food 3 times daily and they aren't likely dying from health issues from lack of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    I'm not interested in arguing, but am wondering why - even if it's true - that has anything to do with what I said. Why would you argue that? I guess that's what interests me.
    Your point was on health due to food being consumed. Inmates don't eat healthy food, yet many have the same health (physically) as those who aren't overweight in general population. While there are essentials that are needed for daily function, there are lots of healthy people out there that don't get in the RDA of vitamins and minerals and do fine.
    It's not always about eating healthy food to be healthy. If that were entirely true, then Inuits and other indigenous people who thrive mostly on high fat diets with little vegetables should probably be dead at 30 years of age.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

is really that bad prison food in the US? I can't believe it.
    The average cost spent on a three meal day for a prisoner is $3.00. Imagine what you get for that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I see, so not different from Italy where the cost is 3 euros per day, as I just googled.
    I assume it is a diet high in starch and low in high quality protein, but I hope they provide enough nutritious foods...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Nothing really new.
    Also the author of the documentary Fat Head (that's from 2009, even before the "twinkie diet" experiment) lost weight eating only at fast food restaurants for a month.

Actually, if you understand what the science teacher is attempting to do in the experiment he did along with his students, you can see that there's very little (if any) real connection between what he's putting forward and what the guy who made "Fathead" (who's pretty much a scam artist) tried to say.

Some of what I'm seeing here just emphasizes the need for better education in the art of critical thinking - and that IS a point the teacher made quite clear.

being a "brand ambassador" while educating "in the art of critical thinking"? The man is a genius, no doubt :smile:

You're expecting us to assume that all brands are bad.

Not at all, and I myself eat at McDonald's occasionally (at the airport, if I can't find better options).
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    People are overly snobby about McDonalds and I have never been able to grasp why.

I eat there at least once a week, and sometimes more. I have never been able to understand why a meat sandwich made at home is supposed to be more virtuous than one that is delivered to you at speed at a drive through. Most people I know put a whole lot more mayo and certainly a thicker wedge of cheese on a sandwich they prepare themselves.

People don't get horrified when you got to a restaurant, where things are just as likely to be designed to be delicious and full of cream and fat and the portions are bigger, but when you walk into the office with a McDonalds bag, half the office huffs and puffs like you are strolling in with crack cocaine.

I personally think it is a class issue. If I got the exact same burger made by Tashas (the restaurant where rich people eat in our town), and it was called an Eu de Boef or something, everyone would be impressed with my class and style.

Even though anyone with half a brain can understand how you can fit McDonalds into your calories, you will still get responses like "why would you?" because the dislike for the idea comes from a more complicated place.

People don't want to be seen as "the sort of people" who eat at McDonalds.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

Actually, they are significantly correlative. "Healthy" and "unhealthy" are such broadly (and loosely) applied, vague terms that they border on meaningless. Having said that, the article did state that his blood levels improved.
    Just adding here that weight is still the number one indicator for assessing someone's health.
    I mentioned before that prison inmates eat low quality (even lower than Mcdonald's) daily and for years for lots of them. Yet many aren't suffering health maladies that people in general population who are overweight/obese are even if they do have better nutritional food options. And weight is going to be the main difference between the two. There are hardly any very overweight/obese prison inmates.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I JUST heard a thing on NPR about how women on average gain weight in prison. Do you have proof or a study that people in prison are less overweight than the average population?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

Did you see the part about significantly improving his blood work results?
    What's unhealthy about losing 20% of your body weight & improving your health markers? I agree that losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same, but that's not the only metric at play here.

Yes, that did surprise me!
    Hmm,... Interesting.
    I do have the occasional Quarterpounder and fries....but i wouldn't eat it every day. Lol
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Didn't catch the before numbers, but attention to videos isn't my strong point. Massively confounded by the exercise regime of course, the thing could be titled "Exercise and hypocaloric diet helps teacher lose weight and improve health despite eating at McDonalds"
    477urd52cb2x.jpg
  • Soopatt
    Options
    I actually wish, for the purpose of clarity in understanding, that he DIDN'T exercise during this experiment.

The exercise gives the snobs something to cling to : "Oh.. it wasn't the food he ate, it was the miracle of exercise because you can eat what you want and still lose weight!"

Some of the message gets lost in that. He would have still lost weight without the exercise.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    People are overly snobby about McDonalds and I have never been able to grasp why.

I eat there at least once a week, and sometimes more. I have never been able to understand why a meat sandwich made at home is supposed to be more virtuous than one that is delivered to you at speed at a drive through. Most people I know put a whole lot more mayo and certainly a thicker wedge of cheese on a sandwich they prepare themselves.

People don't get horrified when you got to a restaurant, where things are just as likely to be designed to be delicious and full of cream and fat and the portions are bigger, but when you walk into the office with a McDonalds bag, half the office huffs and puffs like you are strolling in with crack cocaine.

I personally think it is a class issue. If I got the exact same burger made by Tashas (the restaurant where rich people eat in our town), and it was called an Eu de Boef or something, everyone would be impressed with my class and style.

Even though anyone with half a brain can understand how you can fit McDonalds into your calories, you will still get responses like "why would you?" because the dislike for the idea comes from a more complicated place.

agreed. nice post
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Day 75
    1. May be my calculations are wrong but please have a look.
    2. Advised sodium intake requirement= 2300 mg, Cisna's day 75?
    3. Intensity of workouts, eg.
    Is 45 minutes of walking at 15km/hour ?=? 45 minutes of walking at 20 km/hour (calories burned?) Cisna changed intensity of his workouts in last 3 months.
    * Huge Jackman ate 6000 calories/day to bulk up for one of his movies. Point is balancing.
    * Eating in moderation is never bad (even fast food).
    4. How many people in general workout, 45 minutes/5 times a week?
    5. How many restaurants provide caloric value of their meals?
  • yarwell
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I JUST heard a thing on NPR about how women on average gain weight in prison. Do you have proof or a study that people in prison are less overweight than the average population?

"This study found that offenders gained weight and increased their BMI during incarceration, as other studies have indicated. " http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2015/532468/
  • yarwell
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Aani15 wrote: »
    Day 75
    1. May be my calculations are wrong but please have a look.
    2. Advised sodium intake requirement= 2300 mg, Cisna's day 75?
    3. Intensity of workouts, eg.
    Is 45 minutes of walking at 15km/hour ?=? 45 minutes of walking at 20 km/hour (calories burned?) Cisna changed intensity of his workouts in last 3 months.
    * Huge Jackman ate 6000 calories/day to bulk up for one of his movies. Point is balancing.
    * Eating in moderation is never bad (even fast food).
    4. How many people in general workout, 45 minutes/5 times a week?
    5. How many restaurants provide caloric value of their meals?

2. will check - 3210 mg for the day
    3. - nobody walks at 20 km/h, I might average that on my bike

He had a relatively low carb lunch on Day 75, and no snacks at all. Small fries for dinner too and >30g protein per meal.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Because the food tastes disgusting? As in, does not even smell edible? It is not about price or not being "classy", I enjoy street food and I understand trying to eat as cheap as possible. But, even as a student, I would really prefer eating a bag of doritos over eating McDonalds. Obviously not because I considered them healthier, but at least they were more appealing. I have met other people feeling the same way, and I honestly think it is something about their cooking fats and how the food smells. And not all fast food places smell the same way, it is just McDonalds and also Burger King in UK (have not tried Burger King anywhere else). If someone walked into the office with McDonalds, I would have to open the windows to get in some fresh air and stop feeling nauseous.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bogus nonsense. ;)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but why would you want to. yuck! :#
  • Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

• Soopatt
    Options

[/quote]Because the food tastes disgusting? As in, does not even smell edible? It is not about price or not being "classy", I enjoy street food and I understand trying to eat as cheap as possible. But, even as a student, I would really prefer eating a bag of doritos over eating McDonalds. Obviously not because I considered them healthier, but at least they were more appealing. I have met other people feeling the same way, and I honestly think it is something about their cooking fats and how the food smells. And not all fast food places smell the same way, it is just McDonalds and also Burger King in UK (have not tried Burger King anywhere else). If someone walked into the office with McDonalds, I would have to open the windows to get in some fresh air and stop feeling nauseous.[/quote]

You say this like it is a universally agreed upon thing, but it really is not.

I do not think McDonalds looks or smells disgusting, I find it delicious and extremely appealing! I do however, really find the taste and smell of some Asian foods revolting. The smell gets right up my nose, as does the smell of tripe, which is quite popular here. No one who orders Asian food or traditional African food ever gets hassled though. No one else gets shamed for the types of bags they carry in, with the exception of McDonalds. It seems to be ok to shame McDonalds as a choice, in a way that it would be considered racist or off-color to shame other people for different foods and traditional foods that you personally don't enjoy.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Because the food tastes disgusting? As in, does not even smell edible? It is not about price or not being "classy", I enjoy street food and I understand trying to eat as cheap as possible. But, even as a student, I would really prefer eating a bag of doritos over eating McDonalds. Obviously not because I considered them healthier, but at least they were more appealing. I have met other people feeling the same way, and I honestly think it is something about their cooking fats and how the food smells. And not all fast food places smell the same way, it is just McDonalds and also Burger King in UK (have not tried Burger King anywhere else). If someone walked into the office with McDonalds, I would have to open the windows to get in some fresh air and stop feeling nauseous.

Everyone has different tastes, but the fact that mcdonalds is as popular as it is shows that you are not in the norm in your opinion of their food. You look down upon it as unappetizing because it somehow upsets your notions of how food should smell, and that's your perogative, but also your subjective opinion, and not the general consensus.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but why would you want to. yuck! :#

Because McDoanlds, or any other chain restaurant selling food, is an inevitable part of the modern food environment and giving kids the skills to critically navigate and work within the environment which they are presented with is a great idea?