Looking for other pro science people on here

Options
I am trying to lose weight, but trying to stick to facts and scientific evidence. I am trying to avoid talks about detox, cleanses, alkaline, non gmo, or anything else not based in science. Basically I am looking for friends to add, but anytime I see someone I think I'll get along with, I never see an option to add them.

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm a science teacher, so I guess I qualify as being a pro-science person :) It's all about calories in vs. calories out in my opinion!
  • rightsensible
    rightsensible Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I added you as a friend. If you don't want to accept, I understand, because you don't know me.
  • rightsensible
    rightsensible Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just get fed up with the comments section of myfitnesspal articles sometimes, because people like to spread unfounded nonsense that they read from some quack, and all it does is confuse other people who struggle with weight/health/eating disorders.
  • Redbeard333
    Options
    Agreed! There is so much bunk out there for losing weight it'll make someone's head spin! My mantra is just consistency when logging, AND burning more than you take it. It's not incredibly difficult to learn, but can be very difficult to do.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all! I don't got for detox stuff! I have kidneys, they do all that for me! Give me science based facts please. Add me!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    All of my weight loss success has been science-based, feel free to add me if you'd like some extra motivation. I have about 40 more pounds to lose.
  • crawfy1970
    crawfy1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Agree, about the bunk. Too many gullible people looking for an easy option. Calories in vs calories out, plenty of exercise (more for health than weight loss) and drink of plenty of fluids to help your kidneys do the only detox that works. Believe it or not that's important because your body uses fat to store fat soluble toxins- plenty of fluids are required to flush out the rubbish those toxins are broken down into. The exercise part an hour of brisk walking every day and work out every day odd days 20 minutes of intense cardio, even days weights.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. You just click on my username to go my profile, and then click "add as friend." I find nutrition and related topics fascinating, and always interested in learning more about the many factors that affect each side of that equation.
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Anti-vax, non-GMO, HAES, etc. advocates are the worst. It's crazy how some people will spend money on a bunk "detox" wrap instead of just eating less.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Does this include not posting about how God blessed you with the power to lose weight? If so, add me ;)
  • Redbeard333
    Options
    Does this include not posting about how God blessed you with the power to lose weight? If so, add me ;)

Hahahaha!!!
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Just sent a friend request. I could use more sensible friends.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... well my friends are chemists and I work with monkeys in neurobiology... so... yeah very much pro-science. :)
  • dariluzagueda23
    dariluzagueda23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm a science teacher, so I guess I qualify as being a pro-science person :) It's all about calories in vs. calories out in my opinion!

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hate pseudoscience! Feel free to add me. :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Look for people with jailbars over their avatar.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... well my friends are chemists and I work with monkeys in neurobiology... so... yeah very much pro-science. :)

Some of my friends are dumber than monkeys, since they don't like science or fact based studies at times. It's hard not to laugh when they cite documentaries as the reason for a 30 day juicing diet!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This might be my favorite thread here! Tempted to refer to it as "Science...duh!" to avoid the misconception that there are other valid, fact-based, peer-reviewed options. ;)
    (BS in Bio, Chem minor, Pre-Med - calories in, calories out, exercise does wonders for balancing brain chemistry and keeping you on track!)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a chemist (specialty: biophysical chemistry). I absolutely am driven bonkers by low-information pseudoscience and quacks.
  • josephisactive
    josephisactive Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I eat whole natural foods and work my butt off in the gym. Fitness, health, and longevity is a life long journey. It's a privilege and a blessing to eat good and exercise.