Calories deficit vs quality of food

So here's a question.. Will you still loose weight eating roughly what you want as long as you maintain a 500 calorie deficit per day for example as this app says maintaining a 500 calorie deficit per day will result in weight loss. Or is it intact all down to the quality of food you eat.

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    It's down to CICO (calories in vs calories out). Science! Doesn't matter what it is you eat or the quality, that principle will always apply.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    All that matters is CICO. You can eat pizza, McDonalds, and cookies every day and lose weight if you're at a deficit. Now, that isn't saying nutrition isn't important. Stick to your deficit, eat whole foods that satisfy you, but don't deny yourself a treat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    So here's a question.. Will you still loose weight eating roughly what you want as long as you maintain a 500 calorie deficit per day for example as this app says maintaining a 500 calorie deficit per day will result in weight loss. Or is it intact all down to the quality of food you eat.

a calorie is a unit of energy...your body is a highly sophisticated machine and like any machine, requires energy to function...calories are the unit of energy our super awesome machines utilize to operate. when you consume a balance of energy, you maintain...when you consume more energy than your machine requires, that excess energy is stored for later use in the back-up generator (your fat stores)...when you consume less energy than your machine requires to operate, that backup generator kicks on and you burn fat to make up the difference.

food quality is important for nutrition and good nutrition is important for your overall health and wellbeing and I strongly advocate for a solid nutritional profile...but having some pizza or whatever now and then doesn't undo all of your awesome nutrition...you don't get extra credit for more broccoli.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited October 2015
    Google 'Twinkie diet'... Yes, you can lose weight; you might even see short term health improvements if you are obese. But 20 years on I wouldn't want the skin, hair, bones, brain or pancreas of someone who has only eaten that way. I follow the 80/20 metric... 80% wholesome food my great grandmother from the Isle of Man would readily recognize; 20% don't ask don't tell.
    And without a deficit you won't sustain true weight loss, period.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Cico.

Eat less then you burn, and you'll lose weight.

Of coarse , nobody would suggest eating all your calories in cookies or cakes though. But as far as weight loss goes, yes it just comes down to calories . remember, - cico !

I lost all my weight while still enjoying treats like ice cream daily. I just used portion control. Instead of eating an entire gallon, I instead ate just a serving ( or 2 if I had enough extra calories )

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It doesn't matter what you eat. If you eat less than your body requires to function, you're going to lose weight.

Eating healthy foods is good for making you healthy. They're generally low-cal, so you can eat a lot more food and still lose weight. You might feel better when you eat healthy stuff. But as far as weight loss goes, you can eat absolutely anything and still lose weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

You will still loss weight and depending on your macro split. Possibly more weight if you are light on protein (which isn't advised).

The difference the food choice delivers is better health benefits for better choices.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    You will lose weight in a calorie deficit no matter what you eat.

You will gain weight in a surplus no matter what you eat, also. You can be in a surplus eating only "clean" foods and gain weight.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    i ate two slices of pepperoni pizza.
    the rest of the day i had to starve

Geez how big were those pizza slices?

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    At first it was always about CICO. Then I started watching macros with CICO. If I dont eat enough protein Im really hungry. I was eating too much sodium, fat and carbs.

So I incorperated more protien and there it was.. getting fuller quicker.. more energy no more cravings. I was at the store yesterday.. and went to the bagged candy isle out of habit.. looked at m@ms and snickers and passed right on by. I no longer crave cupcakes, donuts and candy bars or heavy ice cream..I no longer drink sodas or any calories unless its skim milk.. Im feeling really good about what I have learned and how my body reacts to what I eat.

One good step.. leads to another!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    At first it was always about CICO. Then I started watching macros with CICO. If I dont eat enough protein Im really hungry. I was eating too much sodium, fat and carbs.

So I incorperated more protien and there it was.. getting fuller quicker.. more energy no more cravings. I was at the store yesterday.. and went to the bagged candy isle out of habit.. looked at m@ms and snickers and passed right on by. I no longer crave cupcakes, donuts and candy bars or heavy ice cream..I no longer drink sodas or any calories unless its skim milk.. Im feeling really good about what I have learned and how my body reacts to what I eat.

It's still CICO. That doesn't mean some foods aren't more satiating than others, but that wasn't the question.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It's hard, at first, skipping the junk food! Then it gets easier. Finally, it's not an issue. You don't even want it, so passing it isn't difficult. You're buying stuff you like and want, so it's as easy to skip the junk as it once was to skip the produce. That's how it went for me, anyway.

Step by step! That's a nice way to look at it. :)

It's still CICO. That doesn't mean some foods aren't more satiating than others, but that wasn't the question.
    I think she was talking about her focus. Many people start out with just cutting calories, then find they get interested in eating healthier.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's hard, at first, skipping the junk food! Then it gets easier. Finally, it's not an issue. You don't even want it, so passing it isn't difficult. You're buying stuff you like and want, so it's as easy to skip the junk as it once was to skip the produce. That's how it went for me, anyway.

I think she was talking about her focus. Many people start out with just cutting calories, then find they get interested in eating healthier.
    That's peachy. Losing weight -- the subject of the OP's question, after all -- is still all about CICO.

If someone wants to eat in a way she considees healthier in order to the CI under CO, that's great for her but extraneous to the question.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yes it's great to find out how much salad can be put away (with a modest amount of dressing) and still stay on goal with calories.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    i ate two slices of pepperoni pizza.
    the rest of the day i had to starve

Geez how big were those pizza slices?

I think each Costco pizza slice is something like 700 calories. But to be fair, they are really large slices so it would probably be equivelant to two slices of pizza somewhere else.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

It's still CICO. What's satiating is a different matter.

I've gone through different stages during my weight loss where I've had to manage my macros to satiate me. I've always tried to get a decent amount of protein to retain lean muscle mass, but I've gone back and forth with how I balance the smallest recommended amount of protein vs. what makes me feel full.

Right now? I'm all about carbs. Nothing leaves me feeling fuller than a bowl of protein oats or a nice big bowl of popcorn. Almost a pound of microwave steamed broccoli? Bring it on.

This is recent. Before this phase started, I ate higher amounts of protein supplemented with fats to feel full. That stopped doing the job.

All this rambling is my way of saying that this will vary from person to person and might change depending on activity levels (I started running, I think that's why I need the carbs now).

The main take-away? I'm still losing weight eating more carbs and less protein/fat just like I did eating less carbs more protein/fat because I'm sticking to my calorie goals.
  • WorkOutMaster_
    WorkOutMaster_ Posts: 2 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

That's peachy. Losing weight -- the subject of the OP's question, after all -- is still all about CICO.

If someone wants to eat in a way she considees healthier in order to the CI under CO, that's great for her but extraneous to the question.

There is no need to be rude. This is why people dont speak in THIS forum. Too many think they can dominate just because you created your own goal. Good for you. It still doesnt mean you can attack a positive post.

Yes its is about CI/CO. The rest will follow. Good on you two.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

You will still loss weight and depending on your macro split. Possibly more weight if you are light on protein (which isn't advised).

The difference the food choice delivers is better health benefits for better choices.

First part ....LOL Wut?

Second part ...yes
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes it's great to find out how much salad can be put away (with a modest amount of dressing) and still stay on goal with calories.

Confession: I eat my salads out of mixing bowls because they're so big. Sorrynotsorry.