'calories in-calories out' model might be flawed?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    They forgot that people sit around more nowadays.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    They forgot that people sit around more nowadays.

Yup

And drive rather than walk, and load food in back of car from all in one supermarkets rather than visit individual shops

And have more food choices

But lets go for the micro and blame external factors for our choices
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Interesting article. A little over a year ago I would have gobbled this up. I was looking for the reason I could not drop weight. Was it my thyroid? Eating white (processed) foods?

Dr confirmed no thyroid issue... I switched to mostly whole and healthy foods... Got back on my exercise game... Lost some weight then hit the wall.

I wasn't monitoring my caloric intake. I thought as long as I got rid of "bad foods" from my diet... My body would take care of the rest. Lol. Once I started monotoring both what I ate AND how much... I pushed past and lost 10 pounds (3.8 of Those since joining MFP).

I believe the root of most weight problems is not monitoring how much you eat
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    If you read this, The entire article is based on another article, which in turn is based on a study which doesn't come to any conclusions other than more study is needed. - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1871403X15001210 They've apparently observed differences that they can't attribute to activity and state that other factors may come into play. I didn't read the entire Atlantic article because my break is up at work, but it appears the authors of that article have just made up their own reasons for the discrepancy.

Some 'valid' reasoning. MFP community is blessed with brainiacs. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    This has been discussed before.

Life is different now than it was then. It's much easier to not be active these days, but dieting itself has never been easier.

Even if you agree with the premise that it's harder now (which I really do not), it's still possible to lose weight now.

Every time this gets brought up, I hum the Diet Pepsi jingle from the 80s, which was a fun one. So, thanks. :) ..."Diet Pepsi won't go to your waist! So, now you see it, now you don't. Oh, Diet Pepsi, one small calorie. Now, you see it. Now, you don't!" :smiley:

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Yes, there are a lot of factors that affect the CO part of the equation that weren't so prevalent 30 years ago. That does not change the CO<CI equation that is the only thing that works to lose weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited October 2015
    Kalikel wrote: »
    This has been discussed before.

Life is different now than it was then. It's much easier to not be active these days, but dieting itself has never been easier.

Even if you agree with the premise that it's harder now (which I really do not), it's still possible to lose weight now.

Every time this gets brought up, I hum the Diet Pepsi jingle from the 80s, which was a fun one. So, thanks. :) ..."Diet Pepsi won't go to your waist! So, now you see it, now you don't. Oh, Diet Pepsi, one small calorie. Now, you see it. Now, you don't!" :smiley:

I don't miss jingles. One good thing about ad free viewing of television shows.

ETA: On topic, I really feel like they ignore the calorie out. As previously mentioned people are far less active now. The equation isn't flawed, it's just skewed based on how habits have changed.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    The article claims CICO is possibly flawed, but does not establish it to the satisfaction of even someone who is not an expert like me. First off, the article is written very badly. It basically states that our CO might be lower now due to many factors, and thus CICO is flawed. CICO is technically based on total CI minus total CO. If your CO is lower due to things like pesticides and environmental changes, then your CI needs to be lowered as well. Claiming CICO is flawed because the CO of people is lower now merely means that people estimate their CO too highly. None of the reasons stated in the article support the idea that CICO is flawed. Rather, the points merely support that CO models might need to be fine-tuned. The fact that current models for estimating CO might be flawed does not make CICO flawed since we already know things like BMR and other types of calorie burn are estimates based on generic models unless we get ourselves tested in lab conditions.

Next, the article reads more like opinion than science. Where are the cited studies? I think some of the points seem okay on the face of it. Maybe CO models are overestimating BMR and caloric burn. But without cited studies, the author's post has little validity.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    my personal points and observations'
    first- I hit a wall, thyroid med not adjusted properly and now I'm really really struggling. I'm at the point where dropping artificial sweeteners from my diet isn't hurting anyone, so why not?
    second-Insulin Resistance is getting more and more attention and only beginning to be understood.
    third- there are no good studies on how gut flora affects how food is absorbed.
    forth-kids are bigger than ever before. seriously bigger.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    jerber160 wrote: »
    first- I hit a wall, thyroid med not adjusted properly and now I'm really really struggling. I'm at the point where dropping artificial sweeteners from my diet isn't hurting anyone, so why not?
    second-Insulin Resistance is getting more and more attention and only beginning to be understood.

None of which invalidates CICO

Though I am disappointed. I was really hoping I was a special snowflake having been successful using CICO
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    the equation isn't flawed...there are a myriad of factors that affect the CO part of the equation...but that doesn't invalidate the equation itself. i'd say on average, people are less generally active than they were 30 years ago which is going to have a huge impact on CO...they're burning less but eating the same or more...so no brainer there. certain medical conditions can also affect the CO part of the equation...but they don't invalidate the equation...those people simply must account for the fact that their medical condition is interfering with the amount of energy (calories) their bodies will burn.

IMO, people get hung up on these calculators and the numbers they spit out and they treat these calculators as "gospel" when in reality, they are just meant to be a reasonably good starting point. people tend to take these numbers and when it doesn't work, they blame the equation rather then stepping back and making adjustments per their real world results.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    jerber160 wrote: »

Just in regards to the 4th - yup, they are. And they are far less active than they ever were. Part of my job this year has brought me into the school system. I'm not *that* old but I was shocked to see the difference around here. there is no recess. There is no playground. Kids don't run around before/after school playing. EVERYONE gets bussed or driven. all of the schools I'm involved with are in the middle of an area where the majority can walk to school but they don't.
    I was bussed to school because I lived in a rural area. But I went to a city school where everyone walked to and from school and home for lunch. They don't do that either and end up eating in the cafeteria that has chicken burgers, fries and poutine. Or hitting the pizza shop. Everyday.

And that isn't even addressing the amount of time using computer and video games as opposed to even a decade or two ago.

Kids are bigger but they are also far more sedentary.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    OP thanks for sharing. Food for thought for some. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Just in regards to the 4th - yup, they are. And they are far less active than they ever were. Part of my job this year has brought me into the school system. I'm not *that* old but I was shocked to see the difference around here. there is no recess. There is no playground. Kids don't run around before/after school playing. EVERYONE gets bussed or driven. all of the schools I'm involved with are in the middle of an area where the majority can walk to school but they don't.

It's sad. All they seem to do in wealthy Fairfax County (northern Va.) at all the schools, but especially the elementary schools, is park big ugly trailers on the basketball courts -- and sometimes right on the grass. And you should see the "baskets" - just loose hoops with no netting.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    As usual, some people will read this with their normal cognitive bias and use it to support their flawed thinking. Others will be more skeptical and realize the shortcomings in the speculative thinking used by the author and the failure to account for all the variables. Some people will continue to struggle with their weight, others will be successful. I wonder how those populations match up...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    emhunter wrote: »

Junk food, unfortunately.

• emhunter
    Azdak wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »

Junk food, unfortunately.

Harsh assessment. :| Sometimes realizing things aren't so black and white is necessary. It is how I was able to lose my weight and keep it off. I think there is nothing wrong with keeping an open mind.
  • emhunter
    @Azdak btw that response was pretty clever!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    As usual, some people will read this with their normal cognitive bias and use it to support their flawed thinking. Others will be more skeptical and realize the shortcomings in the speculative thinking used by the author and the failure to account for all the variables. Some people will continue to struggle with their weight, others will be successful. I wonder how those populations match up...
    I've lost 124 pounds while being more skeptical.