Ugh! Spitting out????

Options
So I was speaking to a friend of mine and she admitted to me that this is how she lost/maintains her weight: she 'eats' forbidden foods and then spits it out, thus avoiding swallowing it.
How gross is that????? Does she have a point?

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    No she doesnt. Just a very disturbed idea about losing weight

95069916.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That's classic eating disorder behaviour. Your friend may wish to speak to someone about it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What foods are forbidden?
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That is gross. And I wouldn't imagine that can be a healthy way to look at things.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I guess non diet foods????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your friend either has an eating disorder, or is in danger of developing one. That's a ridiculously disordered approach to food.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »

Splitting foods into "diet foods" and "non-diet foods" is a poor way to look at things.

Today, my meals included two medium rare hamburgers. They were delicious, and high in protein. And they're certainly not stopping me from losing weight, as I've been very successful thus far. I don't need to eat "diet foods", however someone defines that term.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This behaviour is known as "chewing and spitting" and is definitely disordered. She should stop or seek help
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    That's what professional taste testers do to keep from gaining weight.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Splitting foods into "diet foods" and "non-diet foods" is a poor way to look at things.

Today, my meals included two medium rare hamburgers. They were delicious, and high in protein. And they're certainly not stopping me from losing weight, as I've been very successful thus far. I don't need to eat "diet foods", however someone defines that term.

PSA: From a microbiology perspective hamburger generally shouldn't be eaten medium rare. Since the meat is ground up you are at a higher chance of developing food borne illness since the meat that can potentially be exposed to pathogens is all ground up together as opposed to a steak where it's only the outside which even a rare or medium rare the exposed part is cooked.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I think that's entirely different.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Apples and oranges, as you know.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Meh. I have foods I eat as much as I want of. And foods I limit. Call em diet foods, or not. Doesn't matter to me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is NOT what I thought we'd be spitting out here!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    The only point your friend has is that she has an unhealthy relationship with food and a possible eating disorder. Not to mention she's wasting all that delicious food that someone else could be enjoying AND swallowing.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Taste testers do it because they have to taste the food and don't want to become round balls due to eating a lot. The original poster's (OP) friend does it to enjoy the food without gaining calories. The former is very different from the latter. The OP's friend probably needs to see someone about her problem.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    The only point your friend has is that she has an unhealthy relationship with food and a possible eating disorder. Not to mention she's wasting all that delicious food that someone else could be enjoying AND swallowing.

Exactly.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    This behaviour is known as "chewing and spitting" and is definitely disordered. She should stop or seek help
    I agree.
    It is also a waste of money and food. Logging what you eat is much more pleasant.
    #teamswallowers
    Phrasing?

• healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What? I swallow food. I didn't get fat by spitting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your friend needs help and certainly shouldn't be giving diet advice to anyone. That has disordered eating written all over it.