THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• ballpal
    ballpal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is from fitness blogger Vic Margay.
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

“Motivated, motivated, hell yeah I’m motivated. Ooo Ah, I wanna kill somebody. Killlllll!!!”
    Well I just want to see my ticker :wink:
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I'm only 20 days in but I've told myself at least 15 times over those days that I don't need motivation, I just need to do it. So far, so good. This is my new non-motivation motivational quote. :wink:
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great post..
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    wow.. thank you... i needed to read this today. Thank you for your service.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    This is my new favorite post ever!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I agree. I definitely struggle with regulating my emotions - "emotional responsibility" someone in the comments terms it. In therapy, my psychiatrist encourages me to see my avoidance behaviours as "decisions." Eating a cake didn't "happen to me" and neither did not getting out of bed. These are decisions. I did that. She says that something in me doesn't want to do it - so I don't. My fears and anxieties come from just plain not wanting to do things, not having the discipline to get them done, and letting that doubt make my decision for me.
  • THEMONK22
    THEMONK22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is from fitness blogger Vic Margay.
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

“Motivated, motivated, hell yeah I’m motivated. Ooo Ah, I wanna kill somebody. Killlllll!!!”

As part of the Army’s brainwashing process (better known as Basic Training), mantras like the one above shouted in unison by a platoon of young men with shaved heads often made Basic Training feel like some sort of twisted psycho cheerleading camp instead of preparation to become Infantry soldiers.

But we were motivated.

warface.jpeg

Or were we? If you include fear of punishment and peer pressure as motivation, then the environment at Ft. Benning was certainly motivating.

But were we self-motivated? No, most of us standing in heel-to-toe lines and referring to our new Army buddies by last name only at Ft. Benning, Georgia in the autumn of 1998 were not self- motivated. And it is acquiring and maintaining this self-motivation that I am often asked about in the realm of diet and fitness. But here’s the thing…

Lack of motivation to follow a healthy diet and commit to consistent exercise is a myth.

You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure. Furthermore, the days you do have will be spent with less energy and more pain if you choose to eat crap and be sedentary. The motivation, the “why”, to exercise and eat nutritious foods in appropriate quantity is present and strong. The bigger mystery is why we choose to ignore the need for proper diet and exercise in the face of obvious requirement.

We do not need motivation. We need decision.

3315ca2621df11e2a64f22000a1f968e_7.jpeg

We need unwavering non-negotiable decision. And yes, I know that the pic above was not taken during Hurricane Sandy (although I thought it was when I posted it to my Facebook page). But it was taken during a torrential down pour at some point in recent history. It absolutely captures the fortitude and decision of those soldiers to stand by their post no matter what hardship may be encountered.

If those soldiers can decide to endure the elements, then we can decide to put down the damned pizza and beer.

Or forgo the free bagels at the office. Or wake up a half hour early to exercise. Or keep a food journal everyday. Or what ever else we know we need to do but keep failing to commit to because it is “hard”.

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach?
    That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves.

What is often called lack of motivation is actually lack of discipline and lack of habit. I’ve posted about discipline and habit before – those entries lack the sexy headlines such as “1 weird trick to lose belly fat” and often do not get more than the cursory glance. And that’s unfortunate because it is discipline and habit that hold the keys to not only losing weight or getting strong, but to anything that we want in life.

You already know what to do to lose weight and get in shape. The smaller details will vary but the big picture is always to eat real food in appropriate quantity and move in a manner that is continually challenging. The problem is not lack of knowledge or lack of motivation. The problem is lack of decision.

Decide. Now.

Share your thoughts on motivation, decision, and the mental/emotional hurdles we face when it comes to diet, fitness, and weight loss in the comments below.

Stay strong

Th this post.....wow.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    yKRVSIZ.gif

I'm bumping this for the New Year.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    A lot of people struggling this week. Another bump for the January crowd. Hang in there, guys!

tumblr_m5rgk1spQf1rytteuo1_500.gif
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Great blog. Thanks for the bumps!
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Read this after reading a "Need motivation" post.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    This could use a bump.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't this be pinned to the top of the Motivation and Support Board so that it is always readily available for reading?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be pinned to the top of the Motivation and Support Board so that it is always readily available for reading?

You can nominate threads for sticky status here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies#latest

They seem to swap them out every 6 months or so.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Really glad to see this thread active.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

You can nominate threads for sticky status here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies#latest

They seem to swap them out every 6 months or so.

Thanks. Done. ;-)
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I've always liked this post. Giving it a bump for others.
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'm printing this out and sticking it everywhere!! So so true. Frigging awesome :D
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for keeping it bumped... I have spent
    Too much time "poor me" instead of "get up, get moving and don't look back". I have a son overseas right now in the navy and yea it is difficult, and not always fun but he gets up and does his job. What an inspiration:)