'calories in-calories out' model might be flawed?

Options

Replies

• tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i am not interested in proving anything. i know how much i eat, i know how much i expend. it doesn't really vary. i am eating at a deficit, and i am losing weight. (i average approximately 3000 calories per day, am not particularly active and don't exercise much. if you can conceive of a way that i could be burning in excess of that in order to have lost the weight i have, i guess you'd have your answer according to the cico theory).

some people do eat at a deficit, and they do not lose weight. there has to be something more to it.

though as i said, i am not particularly concerned with figuring it out or proving why or what it is.

just wanted to put out there that there are a variety of experiences and possibilities. carry on!

(:

You are wrong. You have no way to prove otherwise. You're not tracking your calories, you're not weighing your food, you're not acurately tracking exercise. You have absolutely no idea if you're eating in a deficit or not because you lack the data to make such a statement. I, however, absolutely do know that you're eating in a deficit. How do I know this? Because you're losing weight.

No one eats at a deficit and doesn't lose weight. It simply doesn't work that way. People may think they're eating at a deficit and not losing, but in actuality, they are eating at maintenance.

If you weren't interested in proving otherwise, you wouldn't keep coming back and posting.

*shrug*

okay! (:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    i am not interested in proving anything. i know how much i eat, i know how much i expend. it doesn't really vary. i am eating at a deficit, and i am losing weight. (i average approximately 3000 calories per day, am not particularly active and don't exercise much. if you can conceive of a way that i could be burning in excess of that in order to have lost the weight i have, i guess you'd have your answer according to the cico theory).

some people do eat at a deficit, and they do not lose weight. there has to be something more to it.

though as i said, i am not particularly concerned with figuring it out or proving why or what it is.

just wanted to put out there that there are a variety of experiences and possibilities. carry on!

(:

You are wrong. You have no way to prove otherwise. You're not tracking your calories, you're not weighing your food, you're not acurately tracking exercise. You have absolutely no idea if you're eating in a deficit or not because you lack the data to make such a statement. I, however, absolutely do know that you're eating in a deficit. How do I know this? Because you're losing weight.

No one eats at a deficit and doesn't lose weight. It simply doesn't work that way. People may think they're eating at a deficit and not losing, but in actuality, they are eating at maintenance.

If you weren't interested in proving otherwise, you wouldn't keep coming back and posting.

*shrug*

okay! (:

Alrighty then. Glad we cleared that up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know those times when people believe nonsensical things and the only thing you can do is smile and nod

*smile*

*nod*
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

(:

So, what do you think is causing your weight loss? And what's your plan when you reach your goals and need to transition into maintenance? Because right now you sound like the Incredible Shrinking Person and I'd be a little concerned about long term plans if I were you.
  • tmdalton849
    Options

(:

So, what do you think is causing your weight loss? And what's your plan when you reach your goals and need to transition into maintenance? Because right now you sound like the Incredible Shrinking Person and I'd be a little concerned about long term plans if I were you.

i follow my body's natural hunger signals and trust its wisdom in finding homeostasis. i have not only lost fat, but gained muscle tone. my body is restructuring.

i believe the weight loss is happening because i am eating in such a way that my body is nourished, and my metabolism is balancing.

ymmv.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

(:

i follow my body's natural hunger signals and trust its wisdom in finding homeostasis. i have not only lost fat, but gained muscle tone. my body is restructuring.

i believe the weight loss is happening because i am eating in such a way that my body is nourished, and my metabolism is balancing.

ymmv.

How can your metabolism be balanced if you're losing weight. WTF is a balanced metabolism?
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    hormones which involve metabolism are balancing. for instance, i was chronically hypoglycemic and had insomnia and pmdd and no longer experience these things. it's all connected to metabolism.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    however, i get the sense that you are not truly interested nor are wanting to have a polite, respectful conversation about it. if you are, that's fine. we can. but as i said i am not interested in debating or proving anyone else wrong or myself right. i was simply sharing my experience.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

(:

You don't KNOW how much you burn. No one does. The best we can do is make an educated guess and adjust according to our results. The reason no one believes you is not because we think you're lying. I think you believe what you're saying. But it's just as if someone told us the earth is flat. No matter how sincere and adamant they were in their belief, they'd still be wrong.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    according to the calculations most of you seem to go by and trust, even overestimatimg my level of physical activity, i would have to have been eating less than 2000 calories per day over the past six months in order to lose the weight that i have. i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that i have not.

make of it what you will. i believe there's more to it. you certainly don't have to.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

(:

You don't KNOW how much you burn. No one does. The best we can do is make an educated guess and adjust according to our results. The reason no one believes you is not because we think you're lying. I think you believe what you're saying. But it's just as if someone told us the earth is flat. No matter how sincere and adamant they were in their belief, they'd still be wrong.

This. You're forming a belief without actually having the facts to support it. The fact remains, though, that even if you could point to a food log with weighed portions and an accurate exercise log, the only thing it would prove is that you have an abnormally high BMR. It still wouldn't disprove CICO.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    according to the calculations most of you seem to go by and trust, even overestimatimg my level of physical activity, i would have to have been eating less than 2000 calories per day over the past six months in order to lose the weight that i have. i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that i have not.

make of it what you will. i believe there's more to it. you certainly don't have to.

I'd like to see your food diary if you have one.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

She doesn't track her food intake, which is how she knows without a shadow of a doubt that she isn't eating under 2000 calories a day.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

(:

ymmv.

Maintaining waiting is allostatic, rather than homeostatic.
    And it doesn't happen just because hormones are at a certain level.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

OK, where exactly do you think the excess calories go? According to you, you're not burning them off but you're also not storing them as fat. Is it magic? What process is making you lose weight in a surplus?
  • tmdalton849
    Options

She doesn't track her food intake, which is how she knows without a shadow of a doubt that she isn't eating under 2000 calories a day.

i know what i eat, and what it comes in at. and i eat pretty much the same thing every day. sometimes it varies, but the average is over 2000.

@strong_curves you are welcome to add me and view my diary if you are truly interested. it's not terribly complete, as i eat ad libitum and only make entries periodically out of curiosity.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Ok :|
  • tincanonastring
    Options

i know what i eat, and what it comes in at. and i eat pretty much the same thing every day. sometimes it varies, but the average is over 2000.

@strong_curves you are welcome to add me and view my diary if you are truly interested. it's not terribly complete, as i eat ad libitum and only make entries periodically out of curiosity.

Wait...is it over 2000 or an average of 3000 as you've previously stated in this thread?
  • tmdalton849
    Options

Wait...is it over 2000 or an average of 3000 as you've previously stated in this thread?

i sm being generous in stating that it's over 2000. it's normally between 2500-3000. rarely if ever under 2500.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Girl, you better run and hide, cos as soon as your government appreciates that you can create energy out of nothing you are so going to area 51 :smile: