Losing weight when your medication wont allow you.

2»

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    After doing some reading it seems many causes of needing Rx Meds can be at least diet related in part. If we can find a way of eating that lessened our needs for Rx Meds. Google can help find the science behind how eating a different way may address the core health concerns needing to be medicated in the first place. I know my family is thankful I was able to improve my physical health and state of mind by diet and get Rx Med free. This may not work for everyone but I have found has my physical health improves so does my mental health.

Please don't suggest that medications are not needed for mental disorders. This can be extremely dangerous advice. That's to people like you, I remained in medicated for years. It lead to severe self medication with alcohol and a sense of shame that it was all my fault. Now that I am properly medicated, life is 1000x better.

Dangerous, incorrect and offensive. I agree.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    After doing some reading it seems many causes of needing Rx Meds can be at least diet related in part. If we can find a way of eating that lessened our needs for Rx Meds. Google can help find the science behind how eating a different way may address the core health concerns needing to be medicated in the first place. I know my family is thankful I was able to improve my physical health and state of mind by diet and get Rx Med free. This may not work for everyone but I have found has my physical health improves so does my mental health.

Another person that finds this to be dangerous, incorrect and offensive.

OP please ignore any advice from any individuals suggesting you stop treatment without the proper consultation of your treating physician. Sudden changes in prescription can be particularly dangerous.

No one here should be either prescribing or suggesting a change in prescription, particularly in mental health areas, without outlining the need for a continuity of care from the person's physician.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member

That is just incredibly dangerous advice. Don't extrapolate facts from your own subjective experience.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    has anyone had issues losing weight while on antidepressants/ mood stabilizers? :) I have been on them since april lost 20lbs but keep losing and gaining. in need of some tips.

thankyou

I take mood stabilizers (lithium) and neuroleptics (risperidone) and what I find is some of what these meds do to me is lower my energy levels, and i can crave food with carbs as carbs are a source of quick energy... I think exercise helps (especially when i feel like i don't want to do it, i always come out feeling better).. I think i have no choice but to track calories, because if i don't it's easy to snack on one thing or another to get a quick energy boost and before i know it i'm gaining weight.

-Rob
  • RobertWilkens
    carr3107 wrote: »

Untreated mental illness kills. No diet in the world is going to fix a mood disorder. If you're going to google, use Google Scholar to read actual scientific journals written by actual scientists.

Most of the antipsychotics are horrible when it comes to weight gain. No one has ever done good research to look at whether they're increasing appetite or decreasing metabolism or both. I gained 20 lbs on xyprexa years ago. I was much younger, but I dropped it in less than 3 months when changed meds. If you go off the meds, are you likely to slip into the kind of depression where you shove carbs in your face and don't want to get out of bed?

That makes me suspect it caused a reduced metabolism, which means you're going to have to keep cutting calories/increasing exercise until you see weight loss.

Consider that neurotransmitters (dopamine and seratonin, which these medicines act on) are CREATED by your GUT BACTERIA... And what you feed them affects what gut bacteria live and die and how much of what is produced, then yes, your diet affects your mental health directly.
  • RobertWilkens

Please don't suggest that medications are not needed for mental disorders. This can be extremely dangerous advice. That's to people like you, I remained in medicated for years. It lead to severe self medication with alcohol and a sense of shame that it was all my fault. Now that I am properly medicated, life is 1000x better.

The new york times yesterday had a headline saying medications are not need or at least not needed as much. At least in the case of schizophrenia, which is related to my condition.
  • EvgeniZyntx

The new york times yesterday had a headline saying medications are not need or at least not needed as much. At least in the case of schizophrenia, which is related to my condition.

An article in the New York Times does not replace competent medical advice - in this same newspaper you will read all sorts of contradictory opinion. Use it, if you like, to discuss with health care professionals not to play health roulette.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

Well if a newspapers says it, it must be true.

Everyone just stop taking your meds*

*This is obv sarcasm - please do not do this - talk to your doctor, they know a damn sight more that a sodding newspaper or some random person on a forum.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited October 2015

Untreated mental illness kills. No diet in the world is going to fix a mood disorder. If you're going to google, use Google Scholar to read actual scientific journals written by actual scientists.

Most of the antipsychotics are horrible when it comes to weight gain. No one has ever done good research to look at whether they're increasing appetite or decreasing metabolism or both. I gained 20 lbs on xyprexa years ago. I was much younger, but I dropped it in less than 3 months when changed meds. If you go off the meds, are you likely to slip into the kind of depression where you shove carbs in your face and don't want to get out of bed?

That makes me suspect it caused a reduced metabolism, which means you're going to have to keep cutting calories/increasing exercise until you see weight loss.

Consider that neurotransmitters (dopamine and seratonin, which these medicines act on) are CREATED by your GUT BACTERIA... And what you feed them affects what gut bacteria live and die and how much of what is produced, then yes, your diet affects your mental health directly.

sorry what?

Dopamine is produced in several areas of the brain, including the substantia nigra and the ventral tegmental area. It is a neurohormone that is released by the hypothalamus. Its action is as a hormone that is an inhibitor or prolactin release from the anterior lobe of the pituitary

It's not just produced in the gut - so that may have some effect - but seriously.

• But Tom Cruise told me vitamins and exercise were all I needed.
  • RobertWilkens

But that doesn't mean you can cure your problems with a change in diet and certainly doesn't mean someone should just stop taking their meds on the basis of a google article.

Consult your Dr's people.

No one is telling anyone to stop taking their meds.

Lord knows with 11 hospitalizations (most recent 5+ years ago) I am cautious.. My doc tells me i can take as little as 2mg of risperidone if i want, but by choice i take 3.25mg.

-Rob
  • Iron_Feline

But that doesn't mean you can cure your problems with a change in diet and certainly doesn't mean someone should just stop taking their meds on the basis of a google article.

Lord knows with 11 hospitalizations (most recent 5+ years ago) I am cautious.. My doc tells me i can take as little as 2mg of risperidone if i want, but by choice i take 3.25mg.

-Rob

Galehawkins basically was - that's what everyone is up in arms about.
  • EvgeniZyntx

-Rob

The tone and posting history of another poster in this thread suggests otherwise.
    Cautious is good.
  • Iron_Feline

-Rob

Galehawkins basically was - that's what everyone is up in arms about.

And as you should know - lots of people on medications for mental health think they are cured when they feel better and so stop taking their meds - so saying you can sort yourself out with a diet change may give them the extra push they need to come off their meds - with terrible consequences.

It is simply irresponsible to say just change your diet so you can stop taking meds.
  • RobertWilkens

sorry what?

Dopamine is produced in several areas of the brain, including the substantia nigra and the ventral tegmental area. It is a neurohormone that is released by the hypothalamus. Its action is as a hormone that is an inhibitor or prolactin release from the anterior lobe of the pituitary

It's not just produced in the gut - so that may have some effect - but seriously.

I'm not claiming to be an expert (my "knowledge" comes from a minor in psychology in college, a free online course on 'drugs and the brain', and finally my experience as a patient who has done a little homework), i'm part way through a book i probably won't finish anytime soon - it's called "The Gut Balance Revolution" and i took the author's word on that topic as one of the few 'facts' in the book, though to be honest the author sounds a lot like a salesman for an idea he doesn't entirely believe in.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited October 2015

sorry what?

I'm not claiming to be an expert (my "knowledge" comes from a minor in psychology in college, a free online course on 'drugs and the brain', and finally my experience as a patient who has done a little homework), i'm part way through a book i probably won't finish anytime soon - it's called "The Gut Balance Revolution" and i took the author's word on that topic as one of the few 'facts' in the book, though to be honest the author sounds a lot like a salesman for an idea he doesn't entirely believe in.

Sadly he's probably just trying to get the next diet craze going in the hopes of making millions, which is bad enough. Oh dear - the first tagline your boost metabolism. :noway:

But if he's also suggesting he can cure illnesses - especial mental health illness with a change in diet he's downright dangerous.

I have no doubt a change in diet for some people 'could' help some of their symptoms - but that's something that would need to be carefully monitored by a doctor. After all if changing their diet one way helps, what if they have a night eating the other way - will it set off a terrible change reaction of events? Far too many variables to suggested it to someone - esp by way of google research.

Oh good lord, that book. Chapters include:

the hidden secret to weight loss,
    Top 10 superfoods
    Rev up your metabolism
    reboot - rebalance - renew

He's hitting every dieting keyword going.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Some medications can make it more difficult but they ultimately can't stop you from losing weight.

It won't stop you from losing fat, but some medications cause chronic water retention.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    one of the things i've been reading is that carbs(starchy-not fruity) can help with the weight gain. our bodies are craving the carbs for a reason. so nutritious carbs (may) help stop the weight gain.
    idk if it works. I know i gain weight with or without ssris, remeron was the worst.
    right now I'm focusing on CICO and adjusting as needed for my many medications(chronic condition)