WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Blue Jays have some Hot Bats going on right now. I hope the Cubs can bring it tomorrow.
  • losingitall2012
    losingitall2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here. Yo from Michigan. Started weight loss journey (again). A few years (4) I lost 68lbs on weight watchers and slowly gained it all back. One excuse after another why I wasn't working out and not watching my portion control no surprise I gained it back. But I am ready for this and I can do this! I started September 14 and have lost 19.9 lbs so far. Thank you for listening
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    losingitall2012 - WOW! That is some kind of weight loss for only one month. Be careful! Losing fast is usually something that caused weight gain when you come off whatever you are doing. I know it has made you feel really good; but, make sure you are drinking enough water. Minimum of 8 8oz glasses of water a day. You'll pee a whole lot the first week or 10 days; but, you need to make sure you are turning fat into muscle. Are you back on WW? Don't feel bad, I gained weight on it, too; was doing really good on my portion control; but, not exercising. Winter exercise is difficult to do, especially if you live in a place that is too warm for a lot of certain kinds of exercise; and too cool to get in a pool. My favorite kind of exercise. Just be very careful. This is a thread where you'll get a lot of encouragement; but, also a thread where women will be honest with you. It's taken me 5 months to lose 27lbs and it was done on a Medical Weight Loss Program that my MD 'ordered' me into. It is very restrictive 'caloric intake' ... wise. I am happy that you are ready to start over and hopefully do so correctly. :o

Annr - HA! HA! You cannot really push your son to notice the opposite sex; when the 'car' phase peters out he'll look for something to take its place. Our DYS was 36 before he got married and thankfully he has found a young woman who enjoys the things that he does ... hunting and fishing.

I did not get much out of WW, other than totally feeling really bad about myself. I still take a lot of medications that have the side effect of 'weight gain' and I did not feel that they took that into consideration. Now I am on a "Medical Weight Loss Program" and my 'caloric intake' is what my MD tells me I should be getting in order to lose weight. The first week I felt quite deprived; but, I stuck with it and after about 10 days of being on it, I started losing weight. Lost 7lbs the first 2-week weigh-in. That gave me the incentive to stick it out. I'm about 1/2 towards my goal and I am looking forward to the 'facial' I will get when I reach it. Depending on how I feel about that particular weight will depend on how I look and what my DH says. He doesn't want me to lose too much weight. I've been the weight that my goal weight is - an I felt so much better than I have in the recent past. I started my weight loss about the middle of May. I agree that going to a program that does NOT support you or doesn't ask the 'featherweight' to tell others what she/he is doing to get such a weight loss, is demoralizing to the others in the group. That's how I felt about WW. I did not have the money to join a gym like some; and some seemed to be 'stuck' at a weight even through they were going to the gym every day of the week. I live 25-30 miles away from the nearest WW meeting. Right now, they've moved; but, I don't know what times and days they are open. I have a set of their portion control spoons and a scale. I do use them all. I am surprised at some things and how much you can use and still be under 400 calories for a meal. It takes a lot of discipline not to fall into easy traps. I usually eat my 'main' meal during the middle of the day; if we are planning on going 'out to eat' I need to know it before lunch. Then, sometimes I just don't worry about going over my 'caloric intake' for the day. Sometimes I 'think' you do have to 'trick' your body and then go back to the 'lite' diet. Portion control and how something is prepared makes a world of difference. I rarely eat fried food anymore.

Some birds do mate for life; I don't know if an eagle is one of them or not. I like you analogy of 'peeing on the other one' below; yes, it is like a human marriage. Some days you are a nut, some days you're not!

For my 'self-care' . . . I paint! Love doing it; but, would not want to make a living from it. I think that is one reason I hated 'art school' so much . . . felt like a job. I enjoyed when I took private lessons (all through my younger years and through HS). Going to 'art school' was a 'culture shock' for a small town girl going to Atlanta.

terri_mom - I can't pass up the 'buy one, get one free' that Publix has. I'll buy tea that way and then give the extra gallon to my DOS's family.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Spin at hm- 50min 112ahr, 128mhr, = 332c
    walk dome 2 hm- 38.43min, 3.8amph/pace, 105ahr, 131mhr, 2.4mi = 276c
    total cal 608
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    14,000 steps
    141 minutes of dog walking
    139 minutes riding the exercise bike
    60 second plank----first one in many weeks

welcome.gif to all the new posters.....being part of this supportive and encouraging community of women has been a major part of my losing weight and keeping it off....keep coming back and tell us more about yourself and join in the conversation.

t118024.gifMy visit to the doctor to find out about the leg pain and tingling feet I have when I'm walking provided some answers and more questions....it's not muscles, bones, circulation, blood clots or side effects from my new osteoporosis medicine. The next step will be a nerve conduction test. She also did some blood tests. But she didn't tell me to stop walking and dancing.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington t120006.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
    “The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbie- hopefully she will figure it out! At least you can continue as normal as long as you feel well!

Mary from Minnesota
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    thinking positive thoughts for you barbicat
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Cheri ... So sorry for your loss. I understand the situation with your MIL. My MIL did the same thing when her husband was dying of cancer. She refused hospice services and home health care, taking care of him herself at the expense of her own health. In hindsight, her attempts to keep him alive at all costs prolonged his suffering. Your family did the right thing ...

Heather ... I've seen your before photo before :smiley: and it and your after photo continue to inspire me!

Welcome to the new ladies.

Day three of my new resolve and I feel like I'm getting back in the groove!

Beth in western New York
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Just got back from ceramics.

DJ - I also add a can of pumpkin to a box of spice cake mix, then make those into minimuffins.

terri in Milwaukee - I can't even begin to tell you how many warts I've had over the years. So I'm aware they do come back. Just wish there was some way to "combat" them early on. I just go to the MD and he cuts them out. You'd better NOT pass up that milk deal!

barbie - if Vince misses a NASCAR race and records it, he refuses to read the paper until he's watched the race. As a matter of fact one time I had to turn the paper over so that he wouldn't see a headline. I think you would go insane if you were told to stop walking and dancing!

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Looks like I missed part. Here it is:

Welcome everyone new!

sainsworth - what kind of cereal were you eating?

Becca - when you go to a TOPS meeting, is there a fee? Sometimes people don't know how they lost the weight. I know there are times when I lose a pound or two and I have no idea what I did to cause that. But I agree that people should be accountable, but their accountable-ness might be "I have not a clue"
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Pip: Congratulations on 1180. You are a star! :star: I'm racing to catch up and hope I don't make it. We can compare again in a few years. :wink:

Annr: If you come back this way maybe we can meet somewhere. There are lots of restaurants and many that are quite good. On the topic of TOPS, I have heard of some very positive groups but yours seems to be positively awful. I have been happy & successful being "on my own" with this wonderful group of women for support. DH is also very supportive. Stick with us. It works. :flowerforyou:

losingitall2012: Welcome to great group! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: It sounds like you've found a good doctor. I'm happy that you get to do the things you love. :heart:

New windows tomorrow and DSIL is coming for a visit! I enjoy her company and am looking forward to it. The window installers can be the entertainment unless we think of something better. :bigsmile: I changed my profile picture to show myself before I found MFP. I can't motivate myself to take time to learn how to insert big photos, but I wanted you to see where I started. My dog is older now, but he looks the same. I'm older, too, but I look and feel younger. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Beth! Great news! You can do it! We are all here for you!

Michele- what is this about pumpkin and spice cake??? Did I miss a low calorie yummy muffin?

Katla- have fun watching the home improvement show with your DSIL. Your transformation is inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Katla - Thank you for the before photo. I always love seeing people's journeys. <3

Any others care to share? I know we have seen a few, but some newbies might be inspired!

Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,415 Member
    Options
    CheriI am sorry to hear about you FIL passing. My heart goes out to your MIL. End of life is so difficult. We want to keep them with us so much, but there comes a time when we have to let them go. Your family have done the right thing. Keep him alive in your memories. I know you will all be mindful of your MIL and look after her.

France's from Toronto This process isn't predictable. If we are sensible, the weight will drop, but not always when we expect it. There are so many factors in play, and weight fluctuates daily. Also, if you start to exercise, the body begins to build muscle, which is denser than fat, so we lose size. Monitor your measurements, and the fit of your clothes, as well as weight, to track progress.

I have a funeral to attend today. A older friend who has been ill for a while. We will celebrate her life and say farewell.

I will catch up later today. :)

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers to those who need them. :heart:

:) Welcome to our Newbies. Support and comfort are plentiful here.

Irish Terri
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and motivation - I'm back on track but not eating as healthy as I was yet. I can't just eat what I like and portion control because as soon as I let sugar into my diet I'm like an addict and can't get enough of it. I have to almost completely eliminate it. And when I start hearing this little voice telling me to buy this or buy that I know the binge is coming. Next time I may just need to leave the store when I feel like buying things that I know I can not have in my home.

Anyway that's over and swept in the corner but a new problem has arisen. Five + months ago the pipe under the house leading to the outside faucet burst and flooded my bedroom and the hallway. I rent this house so contacted the maintenance guy. It took 3 days for them to get a plumber out due to the weekend. By then there were actual fungi growing in the room. The landlord thought she could just have a carpet cleaning company come in and clean the carpets. No Way! So they came out and said it couldn't be done. I was concerned about mold growing in the walls so they had a company come out and check. Whatever the landlord was told they ignored and said they were going to put new carpet in.They came in about a week later and pulled the carpet out of the bedroom. After another phone call to maintenance a couple of weeks later they finally pulled the carpet in the hallway. They did not remove the staples so we were stepping on them all the time. Let me repeat this was 5+ months ago. I still have no carpet. The business is run by a family - they own multiple homes, do the maintenance, one son owns a carpet business another other family members are in construction. You get the picture. I have called them all repeatedly only to get the runaround. So finally I sent an email to the landlord and said it seemed like the carpet was not going to get replaced until I move and that I had been paying rent for a 3 bedroom house for over 5 months when I only have 2 bdrms I can use. So she finally emails me back after I sent 3 emails and left a message on her phone and the only thing she says is they are going to sell the house and if I want to move it's OK with them. No mention of the carpet.

I am totally stressed about this. Now in the middle of school I have to uproot the boys when if they had said something during summer I could have moved then. I felt like throwing up after reading her email. I've been on the computer looking at rentals all night and thinking about where I want to move to and how I'm going to get the money together to do so.

I wish I were one of those people who don't eat when they're stressed - I would be so skinny!!! Don't worry I am not and will not eat my way through this!smiley-angry018.gif
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Gloria- this situation sounds awful... i am sorry that people can be so jerky. Hopefully the process of her selling will take some time, enough for you to get into a nicer rental. Also, you had better get to keep a security deposit for the way youve been treated! Will keep you in my thoughts.

Long day ahead at work, gonna try and stay positive.
    My trigger food is a certain potato chip from trader joes, my dd favorite, but i fall back to bingeing whenever they are in the house---everytime----i just cant keep them in the house...

Last thing, and this sounds weird :| i treat warts by covering them, clean and dry, with duct tape...crazy but it works, keep changing the duct tape every few days, the wart shrinks!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Oops Karen from ny sent the homemade wart remedy :)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN I would love to see a before picture of you and anyone else who would like to share! happy-puppy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif