WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Irish Terri - I love Spain! Adore the food. <3 Have a great wine tasting. :flowerforyou:

Penny - For my birthday DH gave me a Svarlbard calendar with pics of all the "junk" (heritage) the Russians left behind! It will be going on our kitchen door. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. :D I have everything on the bedroom floor, but will be packing it into two small suitcases in a minute. DH prefers that to one big one for the car. He is out getting yet more last minute stuff. The 70th birthday balloons I ordered have not arrived so I called him to pick some up in town. :grumble:
    We will be sorting out our lists together in a moment and putting stuff in the hall.

He's just returned so see you later!

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Pip I live in So Tacoma near Pacific & Military so probably 10 or 15 miles from you. Maybe after you are healed we could meet for coffee. I'd say we could walk but I walk slow and you'd just keep circling past me before I got to the end . . . even my daughters won't walk with me. :'(
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Lillian, I hate that you are stressing about your to do list. Just take it one thing at a time and if needed, 15 minutes at a time. You will get there. I do hope the siblings show up to help with your mom’s yard clean up.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Oh I am not really stressing about it.... made the list so the DH would get off my back and not get up every morning and say... you should do this today..... I am really dreading retirement!!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Frank Abagnale created several new identities in the 1960's and was involved in check fraud before the age of twenty one. He was very good at what he did. He wrote the book Catch Me if You Can that the movie was based on and there is also a play based on his story. He also wrote Stealing Your Life. Once he was caught he turned his life around and started working for the FBI in their fraud department. Because of him banks and businesses have much better security than they would have had.

Unfortunately with the way our information is and was handled there is enough information on all of us that is if someone wanted our identity they already have it.

Like so many things in life you just are put in the position to make it harder for the thief. If your credit card info was stolen like the Target card. That info becomes more valuable as time goes on. Three to five years out is when to watch your credit.

He recommended if you do use a credit alert company but only one that monitors all three Credit Bureaus and will contact you in real time not a call four days later. Read the reviews of the different companies too. Being given one year of free credit monitoring is not worth very much.

If you are on Facebook he recommended not having a head shot. Too easy to steal. He also warned not to share too much information about yourself and what you share. We have talked about this before in this group once it is shared publicly it is there forever even if you erase it. When you hit those like buttons on Facebook it creates a profile of you.

When you get rid of your computer remove the hard drive. If you use a printer for sensitive information ask how they dispose of the printer once it is no longer used.

To dispose of sensitive material he recommended a micro cut shredder. He showed how easy it is to put back together a straight cut and criss cross.

He recommended a credit over a debit card. It can take a long time to recoup money from a debit card if the money is in question plus ATM machines have the risk of being compromised. You are not liable for fraudulent charges on a credit card and it is easier to fix.

He said be careful loading apps because they have some of the worst malware.

He did a test at one company where he dropped a number of thumb drives into an employee parking lot to see if any employee picked it up and used it. On it said you failed the test if you opened this it could have compromised the whole system.

If you are a victim of any kind of identity theft he recommended to go to aarp.org/fraudwatchnetwork phone number 1-877-908-3360.

The prime targets are children and adults 50-85.

:heart: Margaret

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Morning - quick check ... off to clean up mom's garden today and get things ready for major yard cleanup on Saturday....

Happy Friday everyone!!

Lillian
    In West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    B)
  • joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Margaret! That is good information.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :'( We have a weekend trip planned to Seattle so the pets will be boarded. We have to leave very early tomorrow morning so Jake just took Bernie to The Cat's Pajamas to be boarded and on the way to my line dance class we'll take Brandy and Sasha to the vet where we board them. I would prefer to keep the pets at home until late afternoon but Jake plans to use the morning for housework best done with no animals underfoot and the afternoon packing. It's best to get the suitcases out with no animals watching. The pets love where they are boarded. We call it summer camp (or in this case, fall camp).
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

*Lisa, I can’t believe that new manager! What in the world do people think??? Doesn’t anyone have any integrity anymore? Is it just our generation? Glad your first choice is going to take the job. That way, if she will go with all your policies and procedures maybe the place can survive. Sounds like it will be worth it to stay on a couple of more weeks.

*Cat, congrats on being at your goal weight and also on being off all meds. Wonderful!!!!

*Katla, interesting information about SAD.

*Heather, so glad that DH and his family sorted out their differences. It sounds like a wonderful weekend.

*Becca, glad you are enjoying your time with the boys and DDIL.

*Joyce, okay, I’ll bite? Do you know why the doctor wants to see the actual pill bottles rather than just a list? I mean, if someone were hoarding or whatever, they could take out all that they wanted and leave them at home. Just interesting.

*Terri, hopefully your dad will understand that you have limited time to help with the yardwork and be okay with starting this weekend. I saw on the National weather that it is going to be cold there in the next few days.

*Penny, good to hear from you. It doesn’t sound like your new person will end up with a ton of friends there, if her negative attitude doesn’t change. No one wants to listen to that all the time.

*Karen, hope you enjoy your Fall travels. Not much in the way of colors down south.

*Sylvia, has your DS always been so hard about letting you participate in the girls lives? It seems he is more than willing to allow you to do everything for them and him until it comes to voicing an opinion on problems or discipline. Maybe I’m reading too much into it? I just hate it for them and you. Did he never share what he found out was the problem with her when you noticed the behavior change. You are such a wonderful grandmother and he should welcome your input, IMHO. Glad you got to get your hands in the clay and do some pot throwing. (even though I know that is the term, I still picture you tossing them across the room in a fit of rage. LOL)

*Heather, Barbie said, “ Heather, I am thinking happy thoughts for you and your husband for a wonderful birthday celebration for him....you have planned and worked hard and it should be awesome” and I say DITTO!!!!

*CarolNC, I hope you can erase the images from your mind. Years ago my DD had an accident here in Myrtle Beach before we moved here. It flipped her brand new 8 week old Jeep over on its side. $14,000+ worth of damage that our insurance company took care of. I never saw the vehicle before it was repaired but when I went through that intersection for years, I’d think of my little girl being flipped on to the side and how easily she could have been hurt. Just so glad your DS is okay.

*Vicki, if your fever is down to 101, why are you going to work? Don’t you get any sick days? I’m the same way in that I can find the time and energy to do some things (like fun things) and not for others, but I am doing so much better than a year ago. Some things just come slower than others.

*NMMargaret, I look forward to hearing about the speech. And definitely any suggestions.

*Joyce, so glad to hear the doctor’s appointment was a success. Sounds like things are definitely getting better.

*Sharon, you can ***** and whine to us all you want or need. That is one of the great things about this place is it lets us get things off our chest that we don’t want to share anywhere else. Sorry you are waking up tired but like you say, sometimes it’s just a matter of telling ourselves to “Wake Up Happy”. That is Michael Strahan’s new book that I’m looking forward to reading. Feel better, my friend! ((((Hugs))))

*Lydia, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. As you can see, we talk about life in general and not just this life journey of health and wellness. Come often and join right in.

*IrishTerri, congrats on your loss. Keep it up! Have a wonderful trip and take lots of pictures. I love your poem and especially agree with the line, “My choices will determine fate”

*Penny, one thing I noticed in your picture (Other than how cold it looks) is how many bikes, so many of the kids must ride to school. I guess they know how to bundle up.

*MicheleNC, I’m surprised you don’t keep the pool open longer hoping for some Indian Summer, but I guess the water temp would be too cool. I’ve seen veggies on menus as much as $7, and I’m not talking a high end restaurant. I still get sticker shock over the prices of things. happyno.gif

DH and I have a Day Date today. Part of it will be a trip to Lowe’s to look at kitchen faucets. Ours has been dripping unless we turn it off just right. When I was at my DSIL’s in Texas recently, she said they were on their third kitchen faucet and her house is the same 8 year age as mine. The biggest problem with having to replace it is that we will have to hire a plumber. We can do lots of things around the house but this is not one of them. Then of course the date will include lunch. It's a beautiful, cool day so looking forward to going out.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I forgot how much I enjoy this site...love to read everyone's posts...gives me the inspiration I need...Logged in for 3 days in a row!..not worrying so much about carbs...just going to focus on calories for now...**so Excited**
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri: I love the "Thoughts" poem. Enjoy your trip. :flowerforyou:

Penny at the Pole: Snow! You live in a beautiful place. :heart:

Michelle: I know you love your pool, but the only alternative that I can think of that would keep it open year round is to put a roof and walls over and around it. :wink:

Heather: Happy 70th to your DH from me! :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Thanks for the information on identity theft and credit theft. It is important. :flowerforyou:

Zumba/Spin today with my neighbor. I'm not so sure I'll join the spin class. I may work upstairs in the machine room instead. I could ride a recumbent there and do some weight-resistance work. Yesterday we received a new queen sized mattress that we ordered, and we had to bring it inside and put it upstairs in our guest room ourselves. We did it, and I am SORE today.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzche

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,404 Member
    Options

Heather I hope everything is hunky dory for the weekend. You have both worked so hard. A big early Happy Birthday to your DH. Ditto on the happy thoughts form DJ.

Penny I love the picture of the kids playing. I remember how cold it was in those latitudes when we went up into the Arctic Circle searching for the Northern Lights in Feb 2013.

Katla I love Zumba. I will have to give it a go again soon.

Lisa Are there no honest people left in business? First the thieving by the staff when the computer system went down and now this new guy and his wife. At least he is getting his comeuppance. I hope your first choice works out. It will almost be worth it to stay on a few weeks and see you choice vindicated.

Lilian WCS It's lovely to see your care for your mother. I hope your siblings step up to the plate and help. Unfortunately, you can't choose you relations.

Margaret Good advice about identity theft. As you say these hackers have no compunction about the anguish they cause. They get their jollies from beating the systems and they don't care who suffers.

I was window shopping this morning when I noticed a vaguely familiar woman reflected in one of the Windows. It was several seconds before I realised that it was the new slimmer me :lol: I think that's a small NSV.

I have all my gear ready to pack for Spain, so will sign off for now.

Thanks for the kind remarks about my poetry. I am compiling aa anthology at the moment. I will let you know more if I ever get it finished.

This is one of the watercolours I painted of a cottage in Connemara last year when we went on a road trip.

rvdw9sip0zeh.jpeg

(((Hugs))) if ya need them.
    Welcome to our newbies.

Have a great weekend, everyone. I know I will. Wine and tapas, a winning combo!

smiley-happy110.gif
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE -
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Grits--I agree funerals bring out the worst in some people. When my dad passed away last year the day after the funeral my brother and his wife came to the house with a list of what they thought was theirs. I tried to explain that mom was still a live and everything was hers. They left and have not been in contact since. Looking forward to seeing the picture of your new fur baby.

Mia--Sounds like you are doing better, I like the acting as if. Write good things about your day. I try and do that and have to stay more on point of doing it. Funny how I can make time for somethings and something I know will help I space off. One Day at a Time and I am better then I was last year and not as good as next year.

I read the bit about your brother and SIL wanting things from your dad when your mom was still living with my jaw hanging open. I hope that you haven’t heard from them because they are still too embarrassed by their behavior and not that they thought they were correct and are angry the you interfered.

I love the “I am better than I was last year and not as good as next year” thought and plan to steal it as my new morning mantra. A good way to remind myself that I am a work in progress and that it is a good thing.

Kim from N. California – Welcome back! Glad your computer is finally fixed. Don’t sweat it about trying to read 400+ posts. If anyone says anything that has you puzzled just ask. We can give you a quick synopsis when you need one.

mityme – Your past helped shape who you are today. Who you are today gets to decide what parts of your past you take with you into your future. All too often that is easier said than done, but it is still true. The beauty of waking up each morning is that it is a new day and you can make a fresh start on forming the person you want to be tomorrow. You can learn to take the lessons from the past and not the pain and move forward.

Have you tried asking a question before you sleep so you can dream on the answer? Do remind yourself that you can control your dreams while you are sleeping so that if they are heading a direction that causes discomfort you can shape them towards an outcome where you are in control.

===

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning. Just a regular checkup. No problems. My doctor is happy with my current weight. I told her I really want to get down to Overweight on the BMI chart. She is OK with that as well, but told me not to stress if my weight is stalled at this point. I no longer need medications for any of the issues that were due to weight and she is pleased with that.

I'm not sure if I am pleased or discontent that she is taking this stand. On one hand it makes me very happy to know my doctor is satisfied with my health. On the other hand if she is satisfied that is one less motivation to keep going.

I think I ultimately need to be the person who is satisfied with my weight and I am not satisfied stopping when I am still obese. I'm gojng for overweight friends.

Mia in MI

October goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Word for the month - PERSEVERE
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This is one of the watercolours I painted of a cottage in Connemara last year when we went on a road trip.

(((Hugs))) if ya need them.
    Welcome to our newbies.

Have a great weekend, everyone. I know I will. Wine and tapas, a winning combo!

smiley-happy110.gif

Great picture!! Thanks for sharing!

Elaine in Lansing
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Penny – Sorry about your walking buddy’s attitude. Hopefully time will soften her and she will begin to adapt. It’s probably not much different from a person deciding to be ready to get healthy. I can’t make my DD care about her weight until she is ready. Except this lady will find life impossible, and be forced to make some changes. Hugs for patience.

Barbie – Thanks for the Audiobook suggestion. I will try to get it on my phone, and also offered it as a suggestion to my DD. The paternal side of her family are worry-warts going W A Y back.

Sylvia – that’s so funny about Spot and him trading a ball for a cookie. // I imagine it is terribly hard to see your DGD punished for her grades. Extra-curricular activities that increase her activity and oxygen are so important to her self-esteem. Before my Mom passed, DS would spend about an hour every evening doing his homework on a TV table next to my Mom. Then when he was done they watch “Win it in a Minute” together. It was a very special bonding time they had together that no one could interrupt. Hopefully your DGD can find something positive to help this situation.

Carol
    – Hugs and peaceful sleep !

Vicki – I hope your short night was peaceful and deep sleep. It’s so hard to work when sick or in pain.

Sharon
    – I eased into the quinoa for breakfast. Now I have ½ cup warmed with cinnamon and banana. Yum ! Thanks for sharing the recipe (even if I tweeked it a little).

Miteyme
    – Dreams amaze me, but if I look them up on dreamdictionary.com, they rarely mean what I think they will mean. I hope you find peace and closure in yours.

Margaret
    – Thanks for all the wonderful advice !

This is the week to see if DS has what it takes for all the events he plans on for his future. The basketball coach on Tuesday said “at least ½ of you will quit after tonight’s conditioning. That’s ok, because you should be proud of yourselves for trying your best”. That was 8:00-10:00pm, and DS gets up at 5:00am to get ready and off to school. Last night he had Sport Bowling League, and didn’t get home until after 9:30pm. Tonight he has basketball again 8:00-10:00pm. Friday evening we are cleaning the gutters (my Dad finally agreed they are too full and will need to be done twice this Autumn). Saturday he has bowling 10:00am – 12:30pm then he works 3:00pm-8:00pm. Sunday he has to get up early because we have to be on the road by 6:30am to drive to Madison for another bowling tournament. Sunday evening he can finally rest. I’m glad I have DH to help for my end of all this running around. I watched Criminal Minds in bed last night, and fell asleep moments after it ended.

DH is heading in the right direction. Yesterday he bought bananas and apples. The only fruit I have ever see him buy is watermelon.

I am on page 5 of today’s Milwaukee Journal. Apparently they did a story about Miller Brewery and QuadMed, and they took a picture of me while I was on the phone helping a person schedule an appointment. When the doctor I work for told me about it I thought he was lying. It’s a small picture with me in the background, but he was telling the truth.

Now time to get ready for 10 minutes on the exercise bike and lunch.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    CYNTHIAT60 - HI

Lagopus - purdy snow pic

gloworminwa- i live in s tac too. 41st n alaska, across the freeway from the mall. we could walk, i know how to walk slow, tell your daughters i said to stp being a drip and walk with u.

barbiecat - have fun in See-boo-tle! i miss living there

terririchard - did u paint that from scratch? purdy!
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mia, the only problems with using full spectrum light sources are two. If one is bipolar it can flip one to mania. The second is that some people have trouble sleeping if they use it too late in the day. You can find all sorts of ways to use it, from a light box like you bought, to full spectrum lights designed for handicrafts, to using full spectrum light bulbs (natural light or sunlight bulbs). I use all three. The MORE you use, the better effect it will have, so I have ALL my lamps with full spectrum lights and in the winter I remove the shades. I ALWAYS fight the cats for the sunny spot in the room with the light in my eyes. I turn my craft light towards my face. A friend gave me a little gadget that is like a visor with tiny lights you can aim at your eyes. That I don't use- felt too weird walking around with that on. I have always craved sunshine. That is my first criteria for housing.

I also take vitamin D and am on two antidepressants. One, Effexor, impacts the serotonin and noraepinephrine levels and the other, bupropion, works on the domamine levels. This was what was needed to pull me out of a horrendous, life threatening depression. Oh, and I take a thyroid stimulator too, that adds to the benefit even though my thyroid levels are just fine. I have managed to decrease the dosages but never go off completely. When I was younger, I could often go without meds during the summer.

Therapy CAN be really helpful in getting rid of some of the baggage from the past, but it can also make someone TOO focused on themselves and how they are feeling. I don't think that will be a problem for you, but I have seen it in many clients. A healthy care for one's well-being is good, total self-absorption is not. One of the things I would teach clients is the importance of give and take in relationships, including the relationship you have with the community you live in!

Miriam, you have written many wise words here. How much D do you take? I just started it this month and am taking 2000 mg. It is hard to tell from reading online just what the correct dose should be. I live in the land of gloom so thought I would try something new to get me through the late fall/early winter slump.
    I finally found an excellent therapist and I can see a change in my attitude towards many things. "Healthy care for one's well-being" is my new mantra. Not that that is easy or anything...

A minor miracle, ladies--I got up the nerve to get on the scale and since before vacation I am down half a pound -- good thing as I am going to see my "first boyfriend" on Saturday -- Paul McCartney. Don't want to be too frumpy, do I? (as if he will notice me in the crowd...).

Betty WNY

PS Janet I will try to post travel pics soon.

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri - congrats on your ongoing loss, what do you do/eat daily? Love your poem!
    Laid a little low with a cold this week and need to get back to doing the green shakes. Meeting after work today as my group is trying for reclassification/salary adjustment. My transvag ultrasound was normal, but they want me to go back to ultrasound breasts, apparently they saw something on the mammo. Yesterday couldn't find my work keys and managed not to freak out too much last night worrying - found it under the furniture this morning in my office, what a relief.
    I am an island of peace and calm.

Love to all,
    Linda in Calif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,404 Member
    Options
    Pip I painted it in watercolour. I studied art at teacher training college, and majored in Ceramics. However, I ended up teaching my subsidiary subject, Maths, as there was a shortage of Maths teachers in those days.

Terri in Milwaukee Fame at last! :lol: You have a busy schedule with that boy. It remains me of when my younger daughter was in senior high. She was very sporty, so we where running her there and everywhere at all sorts of weird hours. One of her sports was I ce hockey and practice was from 11pm to 2am on a Friday night. Game were played midweek. The girls had to fit in round the boys and men's training sessions.