WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Katla, I can’t believe you and DH moved a queen size mattress upstairs. I hope I have done that for the last time! I’m anxious to hear how you like it.

IrishTerri, you are multitalented. I love the picture. That is not a small NSV to see that thin lady in the windows!!! Woo Hoo.

Mia, my doctor told me that he is happy with my weight and didn’t care if I ever lost more. At first I felt the same way you do and thought, well if he doesn’t care, then will I lose more? Then I realized that I never lost any the past 8 years since I’ve been going to him. In fact, I gained even knowing I was obese and diabetic. He kept telling me that I needed to lose, but it didn’t make a difference. So why should it make a difference if he says I don’t have to lose any more? I’m with you that this journey is for us; not for our spouse, friends, kids, doctor or anyone else. It may have slowed down drastically but I plan to keep going until I get to my goal and then re-evaluate. We can do this!!

Terri, you didn’t tell us you made the news!!  I don’t know how you keep up with DS and all his sports.

Betty, tell Paul I said “hi”. hiya.gif You have a good time.

Linda/CA, good for you on not freaking out. Most of us would, but I had the same thing happen years back and it turned out to be nothing. Will keep fingers crossed for you.

Linda/IA, so scary about your sister. Glad she is home and on the mend. Bummer about your work location change. It is ashamed they didn’t ask which you preferred, but hopefully you will realize all the advantages. Gosh, just saving on your wardrobe will be great. LOL

Gloria, I’m sorry for using something you didn’t know. I thought everyone our age used it. lol CRS=Can’t remember sh*&. doh.gif I’ve had the problem for years and years.

Vicki/NE, I can’t believe your DB is like that? Did he have a problem with your Mom? Geezze

Penny, love your water color. Those are my colors of blue!!

Sylvia, so happy for you and DGD for the wonderful afternoon! Glad you got to spend the time together plus helping her have a light bulb moment. idea.gif

Phyl, NSV=non scale victory. Don’t feel bad, many of us have had to ask. I tried and tried to figure it out before I asked. Lol

"For the life of me I cannot understand why everybody seems to like gray houses here...if you want gray just look at the sky!" Betty badday.gif That is not funny because it is true, but I had to laugh so hard. I’m not ready for winter, either!!! Grrrrrr

Barbie, you and DH have a wonderful time in Seattle.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I went to get my nails done this afternoon. While I was sitting at the drying table two ladies came in and they had the same eyes and jaws, so I asked if they were sisters. One said, “what did you say”? and I repeated it. They looked at each other and smiled. It was a mother and her 35 year old daughter. Think I made her day??? The daughter looked 20 and the mother looked 30. Talk about good jeans!! I did a terrible job eating today. Lunch was bad enough but DH made some delish baked chicken, baked potato and salad for dinner. I ate a leg and thigh plus the whole small potato and should have skipped dinner after the lunch I had. Well, start fresh in the morning because I’m finished for tonight. I hope all of you did better!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • phyllis115
    phyllis115 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, Now I know what a NSV is. Sylvia- Adrienne is so blessed to have you in her life. Good job ! Carol in NC, your son should buy lottery ticket. He definitely has an angel on his shoulder.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Sylvia... so pleased for you and your granddaughter.... Hope she can continue to come do her homework with you...

Carol, holy cow.

And the Restaurant Impossible ends for me tomorrow, after all. Not to tease, just wiped out... Will give the rest of the story in the morning.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol NC- he is fortunate to be able to walk away! God must have been watching over him!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Carol, WOW! Amazing that he survived! Sorry the truck didn't.

Here's a very funny cat video from Facebook. Don't drink anything when you watch it or it will squirt out your nose.
    https://www.facebook.com/AwkwardAnimalMoments/videos/127094340829094/

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Boy child in accident on the way back to school tonight. Truck is probably totaled but he just has lots of cuts and abrasions plus being really sore. 2:30 am and just got him into bed. Nothing like seeing your child's vehicle upside down over the guardrail. I'm so thankful that he is okay!!
    I'm sorry for jumping right to the end, but I had such a wonderful day I just have to tell you before I burst wide open!

Today I called my son and asked if he could pick up the younger two and let me pick up Adrienne. I said I would take her to my studio and I would help her with her homework. I said I would do that every day, just make that our new routine. He said ok. So, we went to the studio and used the table in the gallery. She had a set of 8 sheets of paper each with a dozen math problems on it. She had done part of it and turned it in unfinished and the teacher didn't even grade it, he just gave it back and told her to try again. So, looking at it I could see that the answers were wrong, do we erased them and started fresh. (There was a little hole in one page and I asked her about it. She said that a tear had fallen on the paper and she tried to rub it off. That truly broke my heart!)

So, we went through every problem, adding and subtracting fractions. I saw what she was doing wrong and when I showed her why that was wrong and how to do it right, it was like a light bulb went on. It was time consuming, and her dad called twice during that time demanding to know how much longer it would be, and saying that she's just wasting time so she didn't have to go home. (Not that I could blame her, but she really was working hard.) It took two hours, but when I took her home she hugged me so hard and told me she really likes doing her homework at my place. She said she's going to tell her teacher that her grandma helped her, but I told her to tell him that she did all the work, because she did. And I told her dad that he should be VERY, VERY proud of her because she worked so hard. I don't think I've ever seen her so happy!

And if that's not enough, tonight I ate the most delicious food I've ever put in my mouth. I saw this recipe online:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/158731/pecan-crusted-pork-with-pumpkin-butter/?ms=1&prop25=170842783&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2015-10-14&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Title&me=1&eaid=5302955

But I just used pork loin chops, Panko unseasoned bread crumbs, pecan cookie pieces, and Trader Joes Pumpkin Butter. It was an amazing combination of flavors. Massively yummy and very low sodium. And easy to make!

So, that's enough for me for one day. It's storming outside, but I feel like I'm on top of the world. Now il going back three pages to start reading what I missed.

Good night!
    Did you use the pumpkin purée? Sounds wonderful!! Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    Carol, WOW! Amazing that he survived! Sorry the truck didn't.

Here's a very funny cat video from Facebook. Don't drink anything when you watch it or it will squirt out your nose.

Lol!!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    Lol about cat Facebook not your son!! Did he see the dr today? Showed my hubby pictures of the truck, he just shook his head. Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options

Loved the video but it made me sad because my Bernie is being boarded and I know he'll be lonely not getting to sleep with us tonight and all weekend. :'(

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Today did 1 hr of an advanced strength DVD. I like these workouts they are constantly changing things up. Then went to the bank for Newcomers since I was volunteering at the Green Room and the bank is just one block away.

The plan for tomorrow is to do exercise in the water.

You know that funny noise you heard a while ago? It was my crying....we closed the pool.

Margaret - we had a police officer come talk to the Newcomers a while ago. After that I got a debit card. We only keep like $200 on it, but I use that instead of my ATM card. I really only ever use that debit card at Aldi since they don't take credit cards, but by using the debit card I can get money back. Thanks for the very intersting information

Have to go back to the Green Room tonight. On my way home I think I'll stop at one store and get tangerines and apples that are on sale.

TerriRichard - what a great NSV!

Mia - if you were to regain the weight, you'd have the problems all over again.

Betty - good for you getting on that scale. I think Paul McCartney was a lot of girl's first boyfriend.

Sylvia - that's so wonderful you helping your grandaughter so much. And for her to get it! I can imagine that you are just about to burst. Kudos. That girl is so lucky to havae you in her life

Carol in NC - those pics gave me the goosebumps.

Went to the IDR (invitational dress rehearsal) at the Green Room. The show is really funny. One gal made these pimento cheese sandwiches and she brought donuts. The reality is that I'd had dinner right before I came. Not that I wanted a cheese sandwich on white bread or a donut from a package anyway.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Gayle, no, I didn't make my own pumpkin butter. I used ready made pumpkin butter from Trader Joes. I just took their recipe and simplified it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I nominate you for Grandma of the Year! Adrienne is so lucky to have you in her life. Personal help with her math is a wonderful gift of time and attention. Seeing the "light bulb come on" must have been a joy for you as well as for her. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: Thank you for the link to cat diaries. :laugh:

bwcetc: I increased my Vitamin D3 to 2000 IU per day after my bone scan revealed worsening osteopenia. I'm using the kind that is a capsule rather than a tablet. We'll see if it stops the slide for me the next time I am scanned. That will be about two years from now. My doctor has not recommended any particular medicines so I decided to give it a try after reading articles on the internet. :flowerforyou:

Janet: The new mattress is made of foam and is "off-gassing" for a few days. That means we can actually try it out Saturday or Sunday night. :huh:

Carol: I would likely have had a melt down, too, because of the traffic accident. Your son had a close call. I'm so glad he wasn't seriously hurt. :heart: Thanks for the D3 information. 3,000 IU is a thousand IU more than I'm currently taking. I'm interested in how the higher dose is working for you, and how your system tolerates it. :flowerforyou:

DJ: DH and I were quite impressed with our mattress moving achievement. Our DS thought if he and his wife could get theirs upstairs, so could we. It turns out he was right but it would have been nice if he'd been more impressed with our success. :grumble: :devil:

Michele: You have my sympathy for closing your pool. I know how much you enjoy it. You can start planning your "open the pool" celebration right away. :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow I have a riding lesson at the exact same time as my yoga class. Guess which activity will be skipped-- :laugh: Yoga will be lovely on Monday. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia, has your DS always been so hard about letting you participate in the girls lives? It seems he is more than willing to allow you to do everything for them and him until it comes to voicing an opinion on problems or discipline. Maybe I’m reading too much into it? I just hate it for them and you. Did he never share what he found out was the problem with her when you noticed the behavior change. You are such a wonderful grandmother and he should welcome your input, IMHO. Glad you got to get your hands in the clay and do some pot throwing. (even though I know that is the term, I still picture you tossing them across the room in a fit of rage. LOL)

DJ. For six years he didn't let me see the kids at all. They have been back in my life for two years now, and I'm always walking on eggshells for fear he will cut me off again. He has a temper and holds a grudge for the smallest slight, real or imagined. I know that if he hadn't been sick he would not have come back to me, but he was desperate enough to look for my help. I suppose that is a silver lining, of sorts.

He said the counselor determined that she had not been physically/sexually abused but she had been in the process of being "groomed".

I don't toss them across the room, but I do hit them with a hammer if they don't meet my expectations.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Whoever was asking about the NSV, you had an NSV. Seeing that reading and being with us was keeping you from snacking is an NSV! Keep it up.

Oh carol, that car looks terrible. They truly took off the end of the truck. Hope he is OK, you have no trouble in insurance settlement and that more importantly that you are OK.

Sylvia, you sound so excited. It is so good you were able to understand the new kind of math so you could help her. You are molding what kind of Mom and Grandma she will be. I just hope the way you showed her doesn't confuse what the teacher does. Soemtimes in the tests, they have to show how they figured the answer.

Have a good time Heather. I am sure your husband will have a memorable 70th birthday.

Didn't make good choices today. Had a waffle from Bob Evans. I know I could have had it plain and had sugar free syrup but I had apple cinnamon topping. When I put it in was 1500 calories! Yikes!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say thank you MFP. Today is my third anniversary on MFP. I am happy and grateful for the system, and for this group of supportive women. I've met my goals and surpassed what I originally envisioned. I'm still here because this system and the women in this group make a huge and positive difference in my life. :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    katla, you have been here about the same length as me, maybe a little longer. I have a lifetime membership here now!!!!!! LOL

Joyce
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Dear Carol-sending you prayers, my heart is so sad for you. Just looking at that truck gave me the willies. I have 2 teen drivers and the #3 child is just getting his permit. I always tell my kids it's not so much your driving, it's the other idoits on the road! Was texting involved? Glad your handsome son is feeling okay.

Today I went to look at a gym. Looks like other gyms o:) , nice enough showers and locker rooms, good cardio options,good selection of weight machines, a circuit room that kind of reminded me of Curves, and a free weight area. I just wonder if I'll keep this commitment if I join. They offer personal trainers that will help build a workout routine for me focusing on any areas I want to imrove. Well that's not difficult - ALL. Also I can have the trainer somehow monitor my %of body fat to see if the routing is working building muscle and loosing fat. I've decided to go see a second more expensive gym on Saturday, then do more research before I commit if that is the final decision. Can't make up my mind mind tonight any way so I'll mull it over for a few days and see.

Sending prayers and hugs to to all.

<3 Rosie in So Cal

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Just getting ready to eat breakfast, gym, shower, makeup and off.
    Slept ok, amazingly.

Remind me I want a QUIET, small celebration for my 70th! ! ! ! ! :D

Love Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,400 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Bravo! Your DGD is lucky to have you in her corner.

Carol: OMG! That was a lucky escape for boy child.

I have read all posts but no more time to comment.

In the words o John Denver 'I'm leaving on a jet plane.....' Back in 4 days.

Stay safe and be happy!

Irish

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wonderful to hear about your afternoon session with your granddaughter, Joyce. Interesting also to hear that something clicked in her head when you were able to identify her problem and explain what she was doing wrong. A few little victories like that would be good for her self-image. I hope your son will agree to letting you two continue to meet for homework.

Living in a place where the sun doesn't go above the horizon from late October to late February, I have to get my vitamin D from some other source. So like a good Norwegian, I have a spoon of cod liver oil with breakfast every day. Also, since my goal is to prevent the osteoporosis I'm likely to have inherited from my mother, I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. And jog. And lift weights.

Beth, I'm not so sure about taking 10,000 mg of vitamin D per day--and I sincerely hope your "mg" stands for micrograms, not milligrams. The National Institutes of Health recommend only 800 IU (international units) per day, which is about 200 micrograms. 10,000 micrograms is 50 times that, which is okay because vitamin D isn't very toxic. But 10,000 milligrams is 50,000 times the RDI, and anyone who takes 100,000 mg per day is getting half a million times as much as they need!

Sorry, I went a bit science-geeky there. :confused:

It's time to head for the gym. I've really got to gird my loins today because we're in the midst of a snowstorm. Visibility is down to about 1 kilometer and it's rather windy. But the temperature is way high for a snowstorm - a couple degrees above freezing - so I should be okay.

Ooops! Just as I wrote that I'd be okay, we had a power outage. :noway: I'm writing on battery power now, but of course I've lost internet access. So it goes!

And now, five minutes later, the electricity is back. :smiley: I'll post this and get going while the going is good!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif