WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Guess who I was for our Red Hat Halloween party last week.

vzbqhahhpp44.jpg

8lhusv5a61o6.jpg

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Guess who I was for our Red Hat Halloween party last week.

Mini Mouse!

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr exercise in the water today. Was the pool warm! The plan for tomorrow is to do an Abs Beginner DVD. We'll see what this one is like!

katla - I go for my bone denisty scan every year. You're lucky that you don't have to go that often. You've been an inspiration, that's for sure.

Joyce - when I was learning the "new math" way back when, I just couln't get it. A friend of mine's mother showed me how to do division the old way and that clicked.

Rosie - it's good that you visit a few gyms before making a definite decision. You know to look for some things that may or may not be important to you -- child care, distance from work/home etc

Penny - is cod liver oil better for you than a vit D suppliment. What's the difference between the oil and the suppliment?

Alison - when my kids were in high school, right before the prom they'd put a really badly smashed up car in front of the school for the kids to see what drinking and driving can do. Of course, that was before the days of driving and texting. Wonder what they do now? Probably the same thing, maybe they use two cars?

Lisa - I know how frustrating it must be for you Mr. M not getting it. But you'll be out of there. I do have to say that I'll miss your reports, tho. Why will those people be walking out?

DJ - I already told Vince that I'll be looking forward to March. He told me "maybe April". I'm still going to hold out for March, tho . Count me in with the group of those who won't lose more but definitely won't regain what I lost. The Stein Mart by me carries workout tops by 2atee that I really like. They are cotton and spandex, not poly and spandex so they breathe more when I sweat. Unfortunately, they don't have much on their website. So I'll just have to wait to see if the store gets any new tops in.

Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll make this loaf cake for Vince. It calls for 1/2 cup of sour cream. The smallest I could get was 1 cup so I'll make him mashed potatoes and use up the sour cream in them. I've done it before so I know he'll never know the difference.

Today after exercising went to Bi-Lo to get items on sale, then stopped at Big Lots to get Vince more bread (since it's cheaper there), then to Aldi, now home and in a bit we'll go out and trim the bushes.

Betty - Looks like a jigsaw puzzle pic, it's so pretty

Mia - what a neat costume! Thanks for the smile.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    We will have our first hard freeze tonight, so last minute gardening. I do cover because it will only be tonight and then will warm up some. When it is freezing all day that is when I say goodbye to the last of my plants.

:heart: Margaret

I can't believe that it is so cold there! I suppose all my flowers will be gone. They actually looked good when we left. I can't wait until the 25th to get together again!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends!
    It took me awhile to read all 400+ posts that had accumulated while I was traveling in Washington State. What a stressful trip! DH was on the fence about coming with me, and didn’t decide to come until two days before departure. Travelling with him is a lot like having a 4 year old in tow. Have to make sure he remembers to pack the right things, remembers his glasses, and doesn’t lose his license at the airport.

Spokane was not fun because I was working long days, and he was in the hotel just hanging out watching TV. He doesn’t do well in new places, and since he easily gets confused, it’s just as well he stay put. The drive to Seattle was beautiful. We stopped in Quincy for quick wine tasting at Cave B Estate Winery and Resort. It’s off the beaten path, but well worth the time to visit. It’s right on the Columbia River Gorge, near an amphitheater that attracts well known musical acts. Would love to go back for a longer stay.

In Seattle we stayed with my DB and DSiL. They are avid cooks and recreational eaters. They are either just finishing a meal, sitting and eating a full meal or planning the next meal. Their menu was not particularly clean and healthy. And the wine and booze flow begins at lunch. Any wonder my DSiL has gained about 50 pounds in the past 5 years? I did the best I could to make good choices, and find some kind of outlet for exercise. Mostly I took early morning walks in their beautiful upscale neighborhood, that has a lot of hills.

As wonderful as it was to spend a few days together, I was a bloated, tired, stressed mess when we got home late Monday. One NSV was being taken by my DSiL to ‘shop’ in her closet. She had a bunch of medium and size 12 garments in her closet she is convinced she’ll never wear again. Scored a bunch of lovely new tops and elegant sweaters. She used to be the skinny one in the family, and I secretly pray she will get back in shape, if only to have the energy for the 3 grandkids they babysit a couple times a week.

Mars was in the PetHotel for the entire week and won the hearts of everyone who works there. They said he is one of their favorite cat guests because he’s got such a sweet personality. Since coming home, we’ve been treating him to longer walks outside. Somehow his body clock has been altered and he is coming to wake me up at 3:30 instead of 4:45 AM. Ugh. Will have to work on that.

Carol: OMG. Hugs to you. Glad DS is okay.

Heather: Happiest #70 to your DH.

Katla: Happy MFP anniversary and many more.

Mary in Minnesota: So sorry we didn’t coordinate to meet up while you were in Colorado. I’m about an hour north of Colorado Springs.

Ladies, time to call it a day. Stay well and always remember we can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Goals for October (carried over from September)
    • Burn 2300 calories per week in the gym
    • Eat mindfully
    • Meditate 3x per week
    • Call someone once a week just to check in
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Greetings from Seattle. We are staying at a beautiful hotel by the water. It's way past my bedtime

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    610966submy64zir.png
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    And... believe it or not, the Restaurant Impossible saga continues. Well, it couldn't end there, you know... believe it or not, the new manager, the one who lied like a rug during that meeting with Mr. M, came to the GM AFTER the meeting and after I had left town night before last. Told him he wasn't sure if the restaurant is the right place for him after all.

Seriously?

He's going to give the GM his decision on Monday.

Well, I talked to the GM about it, and he said, if the new manager comes in and says he's not going to stay, he'll pat him on the back, say, "Have a nice life, give me the keys," and the crew chief will be promoted. Said if he comes in and says he thinks he'll stay, the GM will just tell him he thought wrong, that it just isn't working out, and let me have those keys, please. And the crew chief will be promoted. IF the GM's plan doesn't get spiked by an owner in the meantime, and he follows through on it, then it's going to work out like it would have if Mr. M hadn't thrown a monkey wrench in it, anyway.

I, on the other hand, went in and said my goodbyes, and just put a bug in a couple people's ear that said to the most upset--just hang in there through this weekend. After you get through Monday, if you still want to go, that's fine, but if you'll just hang in there, it should hopefully be worth it. The GM has already said, if the good ones walk, he'll simply call them up on Monday, say "all is forgiven, please come home," and get them back.

If the crew chief needs me, I'll pop in. But I'm an expensive remedy, and I'll be at the other end of the phone or e-mail if she needs me, for free.

So yesterday (before I talked to the GM) I sent out an e-mail to the folks I had worked with at corporate, and the owners, to say "It was a pleasure working with you," and personal e-mails to the ones I got very close with, and got some really nice replies back.

And giving phone advice is not just cheaper for the new manager to come, it's cheaper in terms of my nervous system.

I will be hawking my books at a table in the Fort Museum at the Living History Days in town this morning, and have a bunch of stuff to get ready for it. Feel like I'm finally taking back the reins of my own life. :smiley: Feel as though a huge burden has been lifted, no joke.

Love you guys!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    718883nokc24jd9b.gif
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, and Mia - if this video will show, it's the Mickey to your Minnie... :) made me laugh! Oh Mickey You're So Fine
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Joyce and Michelle in ND - when I was learning the "new math" way back when, I just couldn't get it. A friend of mine's mother showed me how to do division the old way and that clicked. I was in 7th grade when this was introduced as 'new math'. I did not understand it then, and I still don't other than that the 1:2 is used in programming computers. The teacher had no earthly idea how to teach it. Just like I never understood TRIG; thankfully I could drop out and take another class (I took typing, I knew I'd always be able to get a job) and told the 'unemployed-engineer-turned-teacher' about it, too. There were only 2 in the class that knew what was going on - one is a MD now; the other is a Math Major/Head of the Math Department in her county. Needless to say the Principal made him 'grade on a curve'. This was a class of AP students.

lhannon062709 - Good that you are getting out of the business. I'd be a 'high-priced consultant'; but, I would not allow anybody to drag me back into the 'fray' even 'if' you like them a lot. Need to make a clean break, if GM is unable or unwilling to back you and your choices to 'fire' the present manager and be able to hire the 'crew chief' in his place. I realize that maybe you think the restaurant is your 'baby' because of all the work you did to get it ready to be put back into business - but ... not worth having to do all of it yourself.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Our hotel room is heated by a cheerful gas fireplace
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Rori - I would have loved to meet up with you. We were at DD for 3 days then went to Colorado Springs where we got stranded. We had a hard time breathing and walking. Does it take a long time to get used to the elevation? We were thinking of wintering in Evergreen but not if we can't breathe!

Have a great day everyone! We are going site seeing today! Black Hills and the Badlands.

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mia - love it. You look so cute. :)

Janetr OKC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

CarolNC, just when you think things can’t get any worse. smiley-scared009.gif Hopefully you will find that your insurance will cover the vehicle. Was there no comp and collision on it? Sending up many hugs and prayers for you. Thanks for the information on grooming. I just wasn’t sure if it meant grooming for inappropriate advances or something totally different.

Betty, beautiful picture. It looks like a post card.

Mary, nice pictures. I’m guessing you moved on?

Jane, ((Hugs)) back to you. Hope you are doing well.

Mia or should I say Minnie? I love the pictures. You look so good I can’t imagine how you can be discouraged about the loss slowing down. Go girl!!!

MicheleNC
    , I’m voting March for you. bounce.gif I used to shop at Steinmart all the time before we moved here and for a while they stopped having much of a selection in the Plus sizes. There wasn’t a store near me so I rarely went. This new one is very close and in an area where I shop all the time so I’m excited. As usual, now that I am no longer wearing the Women’s sizes, I saw some really cool clothes in it. LOL Why is the “grass always greener”?

Rori, so glad to see you. I was just wondering about your whereabouts yesterday. Your trip sounds great and awful. It’s sad when it is more work to travel with your DH than it is fun. It sounds like you did the best you could on eating and what a score on the clothes. Hopefully your DSIL will wake up to healthy eating and lose weight in the future.

Barbie, what in the world are you doing up so late just because you are traveling? Have a good time. Your room sounds neat.

Gloria, love your pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa, sounds like things may work out after all. Glad to hear it and look forward to hearing how it all ends. The Mickey video is cute.

Today we are going to the October celebration street fair that was cancelled two weeks ago due to the floods. My line dancing class will be doing some dancing there and I haven’t decided if I’ll join in or not. Still only a couple of dances that I can remember all the steps to without screwing up. Lol But I’ll be there to cheer them on and it’s a good way to get in some walking.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,811 Member
    Options
    Here I stand for the last hour in the line at DMV have a screaming 2 yr old in front of me who just soiled his diaper and I have been standing here an hour already..they close at 12:30 will be lucky if I even get up to the room. :#
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have been watching what I eat in an attempt to eat more healthy. I have cut out soft drinks, fast food and most processed foods. I have seen some results with just cutting calories but this month I have decided I need to include exercise to my routine. I have signed up for water aerobics classes, two days a week for 1 hour each. So far I have attended 3 classes and quite enjoy it. I am now on the look out for other classes that I an add that I would also enjoy.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The weekend is here and there is nothing I HAVE to do. There are a couple of entertainment options for the girls that I MAY decide to do but may decide to just hang at home. It feels good after a busy week!

I am doing better on my eating but not logging consistently. Time to knuckle down!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    grandmallie - I would not think that Saturday would be a 'good' day to go to the DMV no matter what. If you work outside the home; maybe you can take the time off to do it during the week. IMHO

Sweets1954 - Exercise is the key to losing weight, portion control, and posting every bite, no matter how small, to your myfitnesspal so you can see what you are eating and how much you have in calories last for the day. Maybe even going to a MD to find out how many calories you would take to 'lose' weight. If I eat the 1000 - 1200 calories that's what a woman should take in; I'd be gaining or at best, maintaining my weight. I'm under that just to lose weight and I have lost a minimum of 2lbs a week on average. Losing it slowly so I don't end up eating it back for the exercise I do. Fall and Winter, especially Winter, is going to be the hardest time to exercise I'm already missing my pool. I would not suggest doing exercise to be able to eat more calories. I'd set my caloric intake in the place where you go to do so. I've lost, easily 4" around my wait since the middle of May and I am not hungry doing it either. Your body just has to get 'used' to not eating as much and your stomach has to learn that whatever your MD puts you on, is so you can lose the weight. You'll get there - it just takes a little time to do those things.