WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Pip, I’m so glad you are obeying the doctor’s orders. I know that is not easy with how much you love to exercise. I’m sure it will be worth it.

MicheleNC, I sometimes have the same problem with bookmarks on MFP. I have had to try all kinds of tricks to be able to click on the forum. Don’t tell me that there is a sour cream cake around or I’d be heading that way. I love them!!! Way to go on the fudge! Gosh you cook so much tempting stuff that you won’t eat. I did make some brownies for DH a couple of days ago and only had a very small bit just to see how it was.

Joyce, it sounds like a great day with the grands. I didn’t know anything on Wii you could play while sitting on the bed? But I don’t have one and have only played at friends’ homes.

Janetr, your holidays have to be soo much fun with all the people if you don’t stress out about it. In my more mature years, I don’t get stressed over such things but then I never have that many people. With only one child and no living parents, we have holidays now with just the two of us, since DD has moved across the country. I’d love a house full of family and friends but can’t bring myself to invite strangers that might need a place to go. Just enjoy your crowds.

Lenora, don’t ya just hate those damn smart phones that are too smart for us. I’m finally getting comfy with mine and it’s time to trade it in again. Lol Glad you and cracker found each other.

Irish, fabulous pictures!! Who are all the people you are with at the table? Keep having a great time.

Allison, your DFIL sounds like a “Hoot”. How far away is he now? I hope there is room at the place closer to you. You haven't mentioned Tom lately. I don't know if it's because you got tired of us "bashing" him or he's just been behaving? I hope it's the latter. (((Hugs)))

Lisa, how cool that you get the butterfly migration! Glad the warehouse is moving right along. It sounds like you are getting back to your normal routine with ease.

Lillian, you told CarolNC,” I so feel for you... ((((hugs)))) when you get home, take your umbrella and go for a walk. I walk and have a good cry ,,, I live in the country with no one around for at least a 1/2 mile.. Please don't crawl into bed or under a rock..” That was very good advice! Carol, I ditto that.

Today is a trip to Costco for a few things and our usual lunch. I do love their chicken Caesar salad but have to remember to take my dressing. DH gets their $1.50 hot dog. I’m not too interested in the football games so may do a little housework while he is watching. We’ve been keeping up with everything but the dusting because neither of us likes to do it. For me it’s because it’s the one part of housekeeping that doesn’t look any different after you’ve done it. Everything else shows for the work that’s been done. Lol Ladies, as always I love reading what you write and seeing your pictures. We would love to see pictures of all of you that are willing to let us see what you look like. It just makes you all the more real to us. I sure hope Heather is able to get some pictures from the Birthday Bash this weekend.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If I squat down; quite often I can't get up unless something is nearby for me to pull up on; even more - I usually fall on my butt.

Awe ... while you are down there, may as well lay back and check out the cloud formations and see what they are up to..... Lol, that is what I would do...until my dog and cat get in the way and I can't see the sky. :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri - beautiful picture! Have fun! B)

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Michele asked: Allison - why did you need to be at the DMV?
    Sorry, but please help a poor European who don't know nuttin': what the heck is DMV?
    /Poor ol' Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Penny~ sorry it means the Department Of Motor Vehicles.. Connecticut has the worst reputation at any of our large state run places, just aplorable(sp)..
    Went and fed DFIL this morning,,,, think he si coming down with something.. didnt seem himself... came home and made cranberry orange muffins, and put some of my summer stuff away.. will whip up a apple pie before I go the memorial service for sweet Dorothy...
    my first love... just lost his mom to alzeihmers(sp) .. he was a HOT italian and we had alot of fun.. I was heartbroken when he broke up with me... so I have some old pictures that I am sending along with a condolence card.. none of them have any pictures of me in them so it is safe to send to his home without upsetting the wife..
    chilly 43 here today had a freeze last night...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I've been having trouble with getting back to my last post when I log in again & click on the star. It hasn't been reliable lately. I liked the original owners of MFP better. :grumble:

TerriRchards: Lovely beach! I hope you enjoy every minute. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Congratulations on taking back the reins of your life. I hope you have a good day at the Fort Museum. :flowerforyou:

Grits: It sounds like you may have had the same "new math" that I did. I had two years of it, Algebra and Geometry, and it put an end to my desire to study math. I took Algebra 2 later and another math course for idiots in college. The professor wrote that book and it was self-published. :grumble:

Sylvia: Congratulations on the wonderful concert and hand holding. :heart:

Rori: Our town is fun and quirky. I like it here, but we moved here to retire and haven't had to make a living here. Both of us continued to work for a few years and had long commutes for a time. It was a mill town, and the mill closed not long after we moved here. The economic base hasn't been robust but it is improving slowly. :frown:

I had a long talk with DD on the phone last night. She is grieving her miscarriage and sad that she hasn't heard from DH or her brother. DH claims I told him not to call her. GRRR! I MIGHT have said don't call just now, but I didn't mean forever. I won't let him make me his scapegoat. DD still wants to move in with her DMIL in the future so she can be a stay at home mom, but plans for the move have been postponed. We made plans to spend Thanksgiving with DDIL's family because DD was planning to move to Illinois at the end of October. We have airline tickets and are following through with the visit. Now I have a sad daughter and no plans to see her any time soon. What a mess.

Katla in currently rainy NW Oregon (Luckily the rain held off until after the bonfire & haunted island.)

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks Alison :-)

Just so you know I didn't disappear in that snowstorm two days ago -- and also because so many of you enjoy them -- here are some pictures.

Same place two days later. Note the lack of bikes! Still, all the kids piled out during lunch break to build snowmen and go sledding.
    3hpckcd8x8kk.jpg

On my way home from the gym, I caught this image of snowmobiles all ready for action as soon as there's enough snow to drive on. Ordinarily this view would include the mountains on the other side of the fjord, but it was still snowing. Visibility low.
    jj2imbp7zjb3.jpg

And as a response to whoever it was that wondered why all the houses are gray, here's what our houses look like! Their bright colors aren't very obvious in the midday gloom in the midst of a snowstorm, but I think you will at least be able to see that there are red, yellow, green and blue houses. bmi4emltn1tk.jpg

/Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Hey, ladies. I have been reading posts each day but that seems to be about as far as I get. I did get out my fall and Halloween directions and between yesterday and today got them all put up. I work for a while and then rest a while. I'm on about half the pain meds now and will cut it even further in the next couple of days. I seem to have a bit of a skin rash and the only thing I'm doing differently is taking the Norco. I also am fighting allergies, I think that is bothering me as much as the knee. :(

I found out this week that both girls (one SIL) the oldes is divorced, and ALL my grandkids plan on being here for Christmas. I am thrilled, its been many years since they were all here at once. I usually put a tree in every room of the house. Kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere. I'll have to get busy right after Thanksgiving. Last year I had 22 people here at the house on Thanksgiving. Not sure what the plans are this year.

Love reading everyone posts and seeing the beautiful pics. We have had absolutely beautiful cooler fall weather the last two days. I'm loving it.

Janetr OKC

make sure to take pics of all the rooms, i wanna c all the trees!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options

Found on Facebook this morning.

d7w9e3ie5hqw.jpeg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Lenora ... I have crate trained all of my dogs and have learned not to use the crate for punishment. The dogs sleep in their crates at night or when we leave the house or when there is commotion, etc. In time. It becomes their safe place. In fact, when my current dog misbehaves, he runs for his crate! Knows he's safe there. :smiley:

Beth
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ - I did freak out a little at first last year cuz it was only decided everyone was coming here about a week before Thanksgiving. Jack's three kids are very unpredictable and had said they all had other plans, so we thot we were going to be alone. When our best friends/next door neighbors found out they told us to come there. Then when all Jack's kids starting saying they would be coming after all we had to change plans and have everybody here. It was great fun and commotion. We had enough food for twice as many people. Lol

Pip I will take pics. :)

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    Sylvia LOL

Terri great view of the beach!

Mary great pictures of your trip. Looks like you had a great time. Badlands are an interesting landscape.

Went to eat at our new Hyvee restaurant. Fodd was delicious and nice atmosphere. They just opened and the store and restaurant were full. Thought of you Lisa because the service was fantastic. They are off to a good start. Then went to see "Martian". I think Castaway and Apollo 13 was better done.

We are having a nice day. I think I found a new church to sing in. I will try out the chorus on Wednesday.
    time to go work on clearing out parts of the garden.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia LOL

Mary great pictures of your trip. Looks like you had a great time. Badlands are an interesting landscape.

Went to eat at our new Hyvee restaurant. Fodd was delicious and nice atmosphere. They just opened and the store and restaurant were full. Thought of you Lisa because the service was fantastic. They are off to a good start. Then went to see "Martian". I think Castaway and Apollo 13 was better done.

We are having a nice day. I think I found a new church to sing in. I will try out the chorus on Wednesday.
    time to go work on clearing out parts of the garden.

:heart: Margaret

I love the Hyvee down by Rochester! They have delicious peti fores. Small cakes. Where is it located? I didn't know you were a singer! It will be fun getting together again.

Mary from Minnesota
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks, well DD and I had a lovely long drive (6.5 hours) to visit Geneseo, NY to check out state college, she sure is excited to apply there and hopes she is accepted. It is tricky to see your one and only set her heart on just one school. I am trying to get her to broaden her mind to other schools, and am slowly making headway. Did okay with the long drive and food on the trip and the leaves were in full color (sadly I am not much of a picture taker).

Had a great coffee date with a friend who hasn't seen me in several weeks who said, "wow you sure look skinny! You can stop now!" Made me feel great but I know I have a ways to go, hoping that my health number (b.p. and cholesterol #s) are much improved at my check in three weeks from now.
    Weather is truly turning to autumn and I've got to work on the garden today or else..... tah for now Karen from NY
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem with loaning a car. Mom didn't want the one DGC because she is a terrible driver!!! Always having little fender benders n tickets. Family, love them but what headaches!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Well it is Sunday and I am working 6-430, then I am off for 10 days. Yesterday I got really sick and left work after a couple hours. The boss had to work by herself for several hours before she could get someone to come in. I don't feel sorry for her the rest of us do it all the time. I went home and sit in the recliner and next thing I knew it was late afternoon. I do feel a lot better today. Then I didn't take the bactrim only once yesterday and that was in the evening. After today I will more then likey not be able to check in as will not have internet where we are going and will be in classes most the days. But I will keep everyone in my prayers and check in when I can or when we get back. I will miss you all a lot, but am so looking forward to being away. Thanks for all the help on the side effects of Bactrim. I know I will not take it again.

Mary--Enjoying the pictures of your trip. Did you get to Crazy Horse? I find that place so interesting.

miakoda40--Love the minnie mouse outfit.

Barbie--Glad your trip is going well.

Sylvia--Sounds to me like DH realizes what a gem he has.

Katla--Your town's Halloween event sounds like a lot of fun. Hugs for you and DD.

Becca--Hugs!! I know sometimes I could wave a wand and all my kids would be happy and loved.

michele--The Y here keeps the pool cooler they told me because they have lap swimmers that come in to practice.

Joyce--Sounds like you are having great family time. I agree the Badlands are interesting. The way God just craved them out. We were there a year ago. We are hoping to go the Grand Canyon. On my bucket list.

Janetr--Your Christmas plans sound like are coming together. A tree in every room, I had a co-worker several years ago that had trees in each room and several in her snakes box. I love Christmas with all the family time and taking the grand children to see the nativity at church.

Irish--Thanks for sharing the pictures. Sure looks like you are having fun. Beautiful view.

Penny--Thanks for sharing the pictures. I find it so interesting to see and hear about different parts of the world. It sometimes surprises me how different we all are and yet the same in some many ways.

Well ladies I need to get stuff done and be ready with DH comes to pick me up. He went to pickup the SUV and trailer we are using on our trip. They have decided to trailer ours and one other persons motorcycle down. There are five in our group. two couples and then Charlie (shes a woman). We all will be traveling together and meet the rest of our group down in AR. I am so looking forward to this trip and just not having to worry about my job or the boss. Know it will all be here when I get back, but am praying to come back with a different mind set. Know that I will miss you and be back soon as I can.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

October Goals
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month then at the beginning.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Stress less, Pray more
    4. Enjoy everyday. Look for the positive.

• fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Vicki - we were not able to get to Crazy Horse this time. Next time we go I am going to get there. I was there the first year or two that they were open and It wasn't much to look at at that time. It would be interesting to see it now.

We made it home! Now to do 4-5 loads of laundry!

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    well im back~
    got a call right after checking in with you all earlier that DFIL was out of control and was hitting the wall and raging.. so threw clothes on and got down there and they had given him some trazadone, still a bit agitated.. but got him a cup of coffee and a couple of coockies, and got some Frank Sinatra on my phone.. and he started to relax, the trazadone kicked in and he got sleepy, I stayed and fed him lunch and my BIL and SIL showed up they called them first but they are an hour away.. they are his POA but dont care about him.. from there I went to the memorial service. actually it was a party.... and boy thats the kind of party I want to have..
    Dottie/Dorothy loved her coffee and chocolate she was 30 yr sober alcoholic.. and Jeanne her daughter had a whole table of her things that she wanted people to pick something, Dorothy would always send people home with things when they came to visit, so I walk in and give Jeanne a big hug, and she says Dorothy wants you to take something with you, here and she wraps this beautiful crocheted scarf around my neck saying wrap this around your neck and know that Dorothy is wrapping her love around you... there were a ton of pictures and a slideshow and they were playing the kind of music she loves, Frank Sinatra and the like, there was candy strewn with pictures all over the place, and a huge table of sweets to munch on... i had a few little things but enjoyed visiting with everyone, 2 nurses from the nursing home where down there,so sat with them.. came home and got dinner together for Tom and his lunch together and having a tall glass of ice water...
  • janetr7476
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, well DD and I had a lovely long drive (6.5 hours) to visit Geneseo, NY to check out state college, she sure is excited to apply there and hopes she is accepted. It is tricky to see your one and only set her heart on just one school. I am trying to get her to broaden her mind to other schools, and am slowly making headway. Did okay with the long drive and food on the trip and the leaves were in full color (sadly I am not much of a picture taker).

Had a great coffee date with a friend who hasn't seen me in several weeks who said, "wow you sure look skinny! You can stop now!" Made me feel great but I know I have a ways to go, hoping that my health number (b.p. and cholesterol #s) are much improved at my check in three weeks from now.
    Weather is truly turning to autumn and I've got to work on the garden today or else..... tah for now Karen from NY

Way to go. Nothing works as well as a good compliment to keep us moving forward. Good job.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Vicki - Christmas trees in the snake box. Well I have to say that's a new one on me. Too funny. Enjoy your time off work.

Janetr OKC