WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Last night we went to a chamber music concert on campus. It was wonderful! It was a professional group called Kremlin from (where else) Russia. They played amazingly well, and chose some very beautiful pieces of classical music. They they did THREE encores. One was a piece by Gershwin during which one of the violinists started singing an operatic version of Summertime right from her seat. The conductor went and took her violin and she stood, walked to the front of the stage and did the rest of the song. It was very unexpected and wonderful. Two more encores followed. We sat in the balcony and (brace yourself) hubby held my hand! We have married 19 years in December, lived together 2 years before that and dated two years before that and he has NEVER held my hand in public before. NEVER. I'm afraid he's getting senile or something. If so, I like it.

This morning the water at the Y was awfully chilly. I hoped I would warm up while I swam, but I didn't much.

Now I'm at the studio to throw some more bowls and trim the ones from yesterday, then we are going to the lake this afternoon. So, I'd better get VERY busy. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    We live in a very quirky little town along the Columbia River, and the whole town is celebrating Halloween. Today's events include a Haunted Hearse Cruise-in and a bonfire. This is the first bonfire here. Portland yacht clubs visit annually for a "Spook Cruise," which is this weekend. They tie up at a state marine park across the channel from us. Boats are decorated for Halloween and they have a Haunted Island event. We've gone over in the past, but not for a few years. There is also a new event, a bonfire. I hope that all the local businesses get a nice economic boost from this. The weather isn't the greatest this morning & I hope it will be relatively dry for all the fun later in the day.

Katla in "Halloween Town"
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Kbai.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla47 - sounds like fun!

MollyWhippet - we stayed in a Hampton Inn (in Macon, GA) which had a 'inside pool'. Gee, wished I had brought my bathing suit, did not know it until then. Will definitely stay there again if we have a need to stay overnight. B) My 'new' puppy is a 'dream'. She walks beside/behind me so I think she's been leased trained. Always on my left-hand side. She's now learning to get in her bed beside my chair in the great room. She'll go around the ottoman to get Louis to pet her. Good about sitting; the only thing we're having a little trouble with is for her to 'get in the crate - kennel up' at night and especially if she won't mind me. I'm planning on taking her in the crate to do 'fun' things so she won't think that every time I put her in the car, we're going to the vet. Took her outside to play after she did her ## and DOS's dogs (lab & Boston Terrier) came down. She chased the BBT away every time; the lab is a little less scared of her since she is so big; but, she knows to go home when we tell her to.

Sweets1954 - I no longer drink soft drinks either; but it was easy to cut out since I would only drink one a day. I'm sure that those people (like my DDnL) would find it harder to do; because they have that 'caffeine hunger/thirst'. I drink a lot of coffee (probably 3 - 4 cups a day; and that is my 'caffeine fix' for the day. When we 'go out to eat' whether it is for a hamburger or a steak or Mexican food - I will always cut it 'in half' and bring the other half home to eat it the next day for lunch. I cut my sandwiches I get at the grocery store in half (or Subway) and do the same. I also go in and enter whatever I 'think' I might eat and figure out how many calories it will cost me; and enter that I have eaten 1/2 of the dish. Doing that also helps me stay a little closer to my 'caloric intake' for the day; but, I don't deny myself some of the things I really like eating ... just try to do better for the rest of the week. When we are planning on 'going out' (which we might do this evening); I know I will go over because of what I ate for breakfast (well maybe I will ... depending on where we go).
    Hope that everybody's having a 'great' weekend. I know we are - it is sunny and warm today

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Pool lovers, they have heated pools at hotels some have open swim for the public. Cost is modest, just have to check around. Rehab pools are heated , some have open swim on off times ie: evenings. Good luck !! Gayle Minneapolis
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia ... Your husband's encroaching "senility" made me smile. Enjoy that man!

Cynthia ... Kbai??

Beautiful fall day here ... But I hate to report it spit SNOW this morning while we were out driving around!!

Beth near Buffalo ( in western New York )
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Grits, We use some doggie candy - little yogurt drops - to get the dogs in their crates at night. They love those things so much they just run right in the crate at bedtime an wait for their treat. Works like a charm. We don't use those treats for anything else, so they are special. Just for bedtime. You might find something your baby likes and use those. Your puppy sounds like a smart little cookie, and lots of fun.

• Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    emotional weekend for me.... Middle son and DIL left yesterday and I cried like a baby.. They won't get Christmas leave, so the next time I see them will be maybe next summer. My husband said that I did really well, over the week, trying to get to know my DIL, but she is a shy one. Also she texted constantly from her friends and family, which is hard to compete with. Some little red flags went up in my brain as well. My son is the affectionate one, but she isn't. I found that unsettling strange. I remember when we were first married. We were so googly-eyed with each other it was silly... I hope this gal doesn't break my young sons heart. His first emotional connection with anyone of the opposite sex, and he married her. Part of me wanted it to not work out so he could have his first love "under his belt" as something to compare what being in love feels like. I know that is harsh words but it was what I felt at the time. They will both go out to sea for 6 months (different ships) so that will be a test for them.

Today Eldest son will be driving back up to Washington state. My youngest son and him are packing his cute Japanese truck as I type. (brother time) He is my "gentle giant", and is such a sweet guy. I wish for him to find a lady that appreciates that. I think all Mom's wish for their sons to find someone that will love them. Part of the list of things you wish your children to find. good job/see the world/be independent/be loved...(not in that order though).

Tonight husband and I will be going to a restaurant that has a comedy night. Amazingly enough, the comedian is a guy that I used to room with (along with another comedian) in Portland OR in the 1980's. It should be a nice night to get myself back in sync with my normal routine, and not dwell on the boys leaving.

(hugs friends)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bkrimpet wrote: »
    Double-checking my D label as soon as I get home. Not usually a big fan of supplements but the D is the only one I am on. In the meantime, a break in the clouds on my way to work...jj9e0shqlpaz.jpg
    Betty

Beautiful Betty!

Elaine in Lansing
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    stats for the day, workout at gym:
    spin- 90min, 77ar, 103aw, 10g for 5min, 15g for 5min, 12g for 5min, repeat, 141ahr 162mhr, 34.3mi = 904c
    rowing machine- right hand only, 20min, 28aw, 112ahr, 140mhr, 2587meters = 163c
    treadmill walking- 28.21min, 0-7incl, 3.5-4.4speed, 126ahr, 145mhr, 2mi = 261c
    total cal 1328
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    MollyWhippit - I'll have to find those. I'm sure she will like them; and, it will be a good way to get her to kennel up at night. Sometimes I put her in her crate/kennel when she doesn't mind me. Today, when Louis went out the first time, she cried; but, later on, when I went to the store, he said she'd go to the door and cry, come back to the great room and look at him, go back to the door and cry so much. She is definitely her "Mama's baby". How often should I take her out and for how long? She's small; and will only get about 18-20lbs when she is grown. I'm feeding her 2x a day - about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of dry dog food. Was given a box of puppy dog bones, maybe I will see if that helps make her go into her crate/kennel better. She can be a little stubborn, especially about going into the crate when she has misbehaved. She seems to understand that 'if' she gets into the bed, she gets a treat for it. She sits whenever we stop walking. Sometimes she'll sit in front of me and give me those 'puppy dog eyes'.

Becca - I certainly understand how it is when your child lives off and you only see them maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Our DYS and his 'new' family live in Louisiana - just across the Mississippi River from Natchez, MS. I usually 'cry' at some point when leaving him. This time it was the night before. But, he has met his "Ms. Right". He had just broken up with a young lady (we had not met her) because she wanted him to 'build' her a home (near her parents); and he needed to stay out by the lake where he works. She drew a line in the sand; and, so did he and they never contacted the other. He was a little down-in-the-mouth; but, I told him that when the 'right' one came along, he'd know it - it would 'hit him like a ton of bricks' and it did (for him as well as for her). No secrets between them, which I think is wonderful. I know what you mean about a DDnL not trying to be friendly with you.

My other DOS married a woman and we felt like it was way too soon after his divorce from his first one. Actually, she had already filed for divorce before they started dating, just not totally divorced. I was a little upset with him because his first wife might have made it hard to see DOGD just to spite him. Present DDnL is extremely hard-headed (but she has a 'good' heart - most of the time) and maybe 'if' I had met her under difference circumstances we might have had a better relationship. She is very divisive and I just want to 'slap' her (like the old "Pro-be" slap on the back on the head like on NCIS). LOL! But, they've been married now for over 16 years; and, whenever she gets mad at him, she drives off in a huff. The last time she did this; neither of the girls would go with her. When she does this, apparently she goes to a family member who tells her she needs to come home. She did that a couple of Thanksgivings ago, thinking I had said something derogatory against her. I did not, I just dropped my head - I really wanted to cry - she had really hurt my feelings and was ruining the day for me. She huffed out the door and DOS went after her, they argued on the back deck for quite a while and then he came in alone and told me, 'see what you've done now ... what am I supposed to do? I told him he had a couple of choices ... he could sit down and eat with the family; he could go home; or he could fix their plates and go home. He sat down and ate with us, and then took her a plate home. DYS said, 'if THAT is what it is like to be married - forget it, I'm not getting married'! Now he is and they have a great time together! I keep thinking that 'if' DnL wants a divorce (I'm talking about my oldest/longest time DDnL); Trey might be more open to it, if he got custody of his now-14-year-old. The 9-year-old is a "Mama's baby" and she would do anything her Mother tells her to do. Last time she left and the 14-year-old would not go with her; Trey would not let her take the 9-year-old - since she was blindly mad and she will 'stomp it' to make a point. She came back at 11:00pm. I'd have thrown her belongings out and put the deadbolt on the door. We live quite a way from the school where the girls go; and Taylor (oldest DGD) told me that they were running late once and she was going 80mph down a bumpy dirt road. Said they made it from door-to-door in 6 minutes flat. When she told her Dad this, he would not let her take the girls when she was mad.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    LOL! Lisa that Mickey was so adorable. Loved him!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    DJ - Unfortunately, there was no collision insurance on the truck. His dad said he would pay the insurance but refused to add collision. It was so soon after my surgery that I didn't have the funds.
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: I moved to Colorado from Honolulu. I visited many times before making the move, and on the advice of my acupuncturist ingested Korean ginseng a couple months before heading to the high country. It must have worked because I have never had an issue with altitude. Now, because I live and do cardio here, when I go to sea level, I have tons of stamina and strength. Apparently ginseng has a positive effect on the amount of oxygen in blood. You might want to research. Evergreen is a beautiful community. It's 20 minutes up the hill from me.

Lisa in West Texas: So glad to hear that your restaurant saga is coming to a conclusion. You really do have the makings of another book in this story. BTW, I’m half way through “She’s Thinking Out Loud” and savoring every chapter.

DJ: I’m proud of you for hanging in with the line dancing. Hope you’ll join in the performance of the dances you know. You just may inspire others to join the group.

Sweets1954: Big high five to you for finding an exercise class you like. Keep it up. Coupled with your cleaner eating, you’ll love the results.

Miriamwithcats: Free time! How incredibly nice. Hope you indulge.

Sylvia: Holding hands…sweet!

Katla: Your town sounds like fun.

GRITS: Congratulations and welcome to the pup who has joined your family. Did you post a photo?

Becca: Sounds like the time with your boys went by too fast. Hopes it’s not too long before you can all come together again.

I just saw an independent film about a family obsessed with getting their children married. It’s called “Meet the Patels”, and is a funny documentary based on the experiences of comedian Ravi Patel who grew up in the U.S. adhering to Indian traditions. Loved it.

Today I took down most of the annuals on my porch. I started a tomato plant inside this summer, and it’s still going strong in an east facing window. I’d be tickled pink if it continues to yield. I forget how much squatting is involved with gardening. Feelin’ it!

Take care, friends. Stay strong. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Rori - we will do that ginseng before we go visit next time. I hear it's good for you anyhow.

Mary from Minnesota
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.Waiting for Violet to come for sleepover.Tomorrow the pumpkin patch.,
    hugs jane
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Sylvia, how romantic! So you have yourself a new boyfriend, eh? Glad you enjoyed the music and your date.

Katla, your Halloween town sounds like fun. I’m still amazed at how our neighbors here go all out on the decorations.

Beth, ewwww the S word. If it spit snow at me I’d likely spit back at it. But then that is why we live down south.

Pip, I see the exercise hasn’t slowed down. How are you feeling? Are you doing PT and if so, how often. Thinking of you with healing thoughts.

Lenora, I don’t claim to be a dog trainer but when we had a puppy that we crate trained I found it extremely easy. Whenever we took her out of the crate we went out and told her to go poop and pee. Once she did her business we gave her praise and love. When we went in if we wanted to play or give her lovin’ we let her stay out but when it was time to stop that activity, back in the crate she went. At first I would put her in the crate and say “kennel up”. After a short time, I’d say it and she would go in. I had to tell DH that he couldn’t mess with her in the crate because that was her “safe place”. We would leave the door to the crate open when she was out and often she would get tired and just go in on her own. I’m sure you will get expert advice but I hope this helps.

Rori, I think all that squatting involved with gardening is why I don’t garden. LOL

We went to the street fair today and had a good time. I did lots of walking while DH just strolled along and we would meet up at a pre-determined place. As usual, he left his cell phone in the car so I’m glad we didn’t lose each other. I watched the line dancing for a while but didn’t join in because they were doing dances that I don’t know. The weather had a touch of fall in the air but was beautiful.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

This was on Facebook and I liked it enough to share with you ladies: You can't make everyone happy. You are not Pizza!

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    The Badlands were really an unexpected sight to behold!

rugs8kqp9xhr.jpeg

We will be home tomorrow afternoon. We need a vacation after vacation!

Mary from Minnesota