WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Rori...So glad you're enjoying the book!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
    damnit - no PT, still itching sometimes, i am feeling good, thanks for asking.the only day off from working out was the day of the surgery. got 3 more weeks of the sling then a followup visit on 11/10 to see how i am doing. kirby is doing the marathon again so today he ran for 16miles so i had (didn't HAVE to) workout as long as it took him to run. still walking home. i gotta say, i am missing running and riding on an actual bike. i am sticking to the docs orders. he is having me do a couple of different exercises and i'm doing them while i take a shower, doing 3 sets of 10 on each exercises so i'm being a good girl
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    damnit - no PT, still itching sometimes, i am feeling good, thanks for asking.the only day off from working out was the day of the surgery. got 3 more weeks of the sling then a followup visit on 11/10 to see how i am doing. kirby is doing the marathon again so today he ran for 16miles so i had (didn't HAVE to) workout as long as it took him to run. still walking home. i gotta say, i am missing running and riding on an actual bike. i am sticking to the docs orders. he is having me do a couple of different exercises and i'm doing them while i take a shower, doing 3 sets of 10 on each exercises so i'm being a good girl

I'm glad that you are doing well! Knowing you, you are going to be a model patient and get back to your normal routine soon!

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of beginner abs DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Yoga Cross Train DVD

Is anybody else having this problem? When I click on "bookmarks", sometimes an ad comes up over the bookmarks and I can't click on the bookmark that I want

This morning made spare ribs for Vince (I have some Boca burgers that I want to use up), then pork chops for later in the week. Yesterday we trimmed some of the bushes. You know, every time I weed wack Vince tells me about how I have to be careful not to cut the wire. Guess what he did yesterday? This blew a circuit. Today we finished the trimming, now I'm in the house baking this loaf cake for Vince. It has sour cream in it, I just won't tell him about that.

Rori - it's fun to go shopping in someone else's closet, but sad when it's because they've gained and not lost weight

Lisa - after all you've done for the restaurant, I'm not at all surprised that you got some nice emails back.

Allison - why did you need to be at the DMV?

Sweets - sweet that you found water aerobics and hope you find lots of other classes that you enjoy. I very, very seldom drink soft drinks. Occasionally, I get a desire for one, but that happes usually only once or twice a year.

Just took the loaf cake out of the oven for Vince. My "sample" burned (well, it's a smaller amount), but that's OK because then I only wanted a taste and threw the rest away. His looks pretty good.

Lenora - was your puppy perhaps previously trained or did you train her? When we were training the service dog, he had to walk beside me.

Gayle - I know that we have a pool near us that's heated much warmer. But the one branch of our Y keeps it's pool at a pretty good temp

Just now have this recipe for fudge. As you know, I've never been able to make decent fudge. Well, I THINK I might have stumbled upon the right recipe. Cut it up and now have it in the freezer for when Vince finishes the loaf cake.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    :)DJ My first year of line dance I didn't perform with the group. I watched and got inspired to learn the dances and perform the next year.

Yes, we were up much too late last night but probably not so late tonight. Too many restaurant meals and not enough walking and I miss my pets :'(
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just read all the posts for two pages. Have been busy today with family and kids are in bed so here I am, for jsut a little bit, We ahve had a good time. This afternoon we went to the mall so I could go to Christopher and Banks. Lady who waited on me was surprised when I bought only one item, the blue sweater I went for, I told her that husband had been in hospital for several weeks and our budget wasn't the same.Wnt to Old Navy to look for my eye mask for sleep and they didn't have any. So we went to oldest DGD's favorite stores so she could show me what she is linking these day. It was interesting to see how conservative she is. In the afternoon the girls played Wii. I guess the reason I don't get good scores is because I don't bounce up and down off my mattress while I am playing. Plus while you are bowling you slide in on your butt as you bowl. We had a good supper here at home. Then Charlie told Ellie about rubbing your finger on a crystal glass and wow, did that open up things. They practiced how much water you had to put in each glass to have a full octave. She only knows how to play hot cross buns so she played that with her crystal glasses. Took awhile for them to settle down to get up for church tomorrow morning. the oldest girl really needs about 10 hours a night so she really needs to go to bed early like her little sister.

Mary, I remember the first time we saw the Bad Lands and it was so weird to see a place like that here on earth. Of course we hadn't gotten to the Grand Canyon yet.

CHeather, we need pictures!

Joyce, indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hey, ladies. I have been reading posts each day but that seems to be about as far as I get. I did get out my fall and Halloween directions and between yesterday and today got them all put up. I work for a while and then rest a while. I'm on about half the pain meds now and will cut it even further in the next couple of days. I seem to have a bit of a skin rash and the only thing I'm doing differently is taking the Norco. I also am fighting allergies, I think that is bothering me as much as the knee. :(

I found out this week that both girls (one SIL) the oldes is divorced, and ALL my grandkids plan on being here for Christmas. I am thrilled, its been many years since they were all here at once. I usually put a tree in every room of the house. Kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere. I'll have to get busy right after Thanksgiving. Last year I had 22 people here at the house on Thanksgiving. Not sure what the plans are this year.

Love reading everyone posts and seeing the beautiful pics. We have had absolutely beautiful cooler fall weather the last two days. I'm loving it.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janetr- glad to hear you are feeling better. That is a lot of people for dinner! You still have 5 weeks before TG. Maybe someone can have you over!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    exermom - the only thing I know about my sweet "Cracker" is that she was brought in as a 'stray' to the animal shelter. All I can say is 'their loss, my gain'. My vet confirms that she is about 4 months old. She walks right behind my left heel; has done that whether or not she is on a leash. I started taking her outside the day I got her and rewarding her for doing her 'job' outside. Got a bed and started training her to get into it (then treats). She sits 'on command'; about the only thing we've got to teach her is the command 'stay'. Louis went outside earlier today and she went to the back door, wanting to go, too. Later, when I left to go to the grocery store, he said she'd go to the door and whine. She really is 'my' dog! Louis talks about how much she likes it outside. Yeah, Indian summer-like weather; but, she isn't going to be outside in the cold. She sleeps in her crate; she whine for a little while but with a couple of 'firm' NO's ... she gets the idea. Margaret said to look for some doggie yogurt treats as he dogs just love them; and the only time she uses them is to get them to 'kennel up'. Or 'crate up'. She'll get in there reluctantly; usually I have to pick her up and put her in there. I'd like to be able for her to get there on her own. I'm going to take her places in the crate inside the car that is different than just taking her in it to the vet. So she won't think she is being punished each time I want her to get into it.

DamitJanit - see above. We haven't had too many issues with her (to be a puppy of only 4 months). She has taken to me like 'white on rice'. Every time I get up to do anything, she is right beside me. My DGD's 2 dogs came down today. Luna, the lab just barks at her; Jax the Boston Bull Terrier is terrified of her. He barks at her; but if he comes near her she runs him off. Tonight is the first time she got up close and personal with the cat. I don't think that "Tuxter-Muxter" much likes this overly active dog. She was used to our 16-year-old JRT; but we had her before we had him. That might be the difference; but this time he did not 'run' off when she came bounding out the door. I have not heard her 'bark' yet. She growled at Jax; but, she hasn't been a barker. So many sounds outside from the other dogs barking to the owls hooting or the coyotes baying and howling. The have sheep and goats next door. We'll probably take her, first time in the crate, on our ride around on our golf cart. I'm afraid that if she just sits in the seat she might be tempted to jump off. Stitches out a week from this Monday. Then back in 3 weeks for her 2nd set of puppy shots and a rattlesnake shot and checking her weight each time. She was on the thin side when we got her.

Poerava14 - I haven't posted a picture of her yet; I'll get around to it. I've taken several on my 'smart phone' but at this moment it is 'smarter' than I am. LOL!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    :sunglasses: This is the view from our balcony in Sitges, near Barcelona. We are having a great time.

r0e6q7xyldw2.jpeg

This was us after a very late, long lunch in a local restaurant. We had lots of tapas and I had a hot stone beef Sirloin which I shared with my DH. I didn't have any dinner in the evening as I wasn't hungry. DH and I are just to the left of centre.
    njl9g61f21h1.jpeg

Lisa It looks like you may get the result you want at the restaurant after all. Good luck with the book sales.
    Janetr Glad to hear that you are doing well.

(((Hugs!))) if you need them.
    Have a great Sunday!
    Irish
  • janetr7476
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Janetr- glad to hear you are feeling better. That is a lot of people for dinner! You still have 5 weeks before TG. Maybe someone can have you over!

Mary from Minnesota

That would be nice for sure. If everybody decides to come, Jack's kids/grandkids and our best friends and their kids/ grandkids, seems like we have the most room.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Irish Terri - thank you. Looks like you are having fun in a gorgeous place. Thanks for the pictures.

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies~
    we will be off to feed DFIL in a few, when we went yesterday I almost staggered and fell as my DFIL said oh your Alison, the maid.... he actually remembered my name...
    I am seriously thinking of moving him to the nursing home here in town, it is less than 1/4 mile away from us and the place he is in isnt doing well, the census is down becuase the admin, are using all the money they get on themselves and not on the residents or staff...
    will go speak with someone at Portland tomorrow before work, and text my SIL and tell her I am thinking of moving him, as they are POA.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Morning, all... the book sale went OK yesterday. We got a lot of traffic through, and I sold six books, two of my article collection that Rori's reading now (She's Thinking Out Loud), one of my murder mystery (This Little Pig), and three of the "Best Of Critique Cafe'" collection from my writer's group. If you're wondering what they're about, you can find all of them up on Amazon in Kindle and print versions, just do a search for "Lisa C Hannon" in books.

But, in terms of quantity, my hand-crocheted, cotton dishcloths/washcloths sold much more than the books. On reflection, since our tables were in the Fort Museum during Living History Days, that actually makes sense. Three hours, I made about $60. Not bad hourly wage for sitting in one place. It appears my dishcloths were priced correctly ($3 to $3.85 apiece, according to how many you buy). That's good news for the week-before-Thanksgiving crafts show that I'm prepping for next.

Then it was off to the warehouse to paint and fix doors for another three hours. It's really starting to look good. The guy we hired painted all the outside walls bright white with a paint sprayer, and primed the trim. We're painting the trim a dark satin grey that matches the concrete paint on the steps, ramps and the sides of the 3-foot tall foundation/warehouse floor concrete slab. I am taking in-progress pics, and if the camera weren't in the car and it's still pitch dark, I'd post some. Will also post some pics of the monarch butterfly migration coming through on their way to Mexico. The pecan trees are just swarming with them, still. Lasts for about a week.

Getting my feet back under me in my house, after three months of commuting and falling into bed exhausted. Got bread rising on the stove, third of four loads of laundry going, and now I can straighten out this wreck of an office. The DH keeps the rest of the house pretty picked up. Got a couple hours work to do on my next contract, as well. Should be easy-peasy, getting a proposal written for the company I was working for in the spring--due November 4, so plenty of time, true kick-off meeting is Monday noon my time. All virtual, phone and computer, working from home and working with amazing people. For more money. :smile: Huh. What a concept.

Mouse and Squeak, the kittens, are off to their new home today or tomorrow. Another couple who live on the other side of the ranch needed a barn cat, and are willing to take them both, which makes me happy. They're growing and changing so fast, but I think there is enough of the feral cat left in them to adjust pretty quickly. Our house is basically a giant jungle gym for them now; they're already bouncing off the walls and furniture. They were fun, but this way, we'll be able to let Daisy the dog inside every once in a while... She's a hunter, and that's a good thing on the ranch, but the kittens wouldn't have survived a closer relationship, most likely.

I gained three pounds all told this last two weeks... time to make THOSE go away, as well...

Warm regards,
    Lisa in soon-to-be sunny West Texas
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    O.M.G.!!!!!

I just walked in to work. It's in a 5 story office building. Lots of folks I don't know working here. As I went down the hall a woman who I have not met stopped me and asked if I had been losing weight. I said that I had. She then went on to tell me that it must be a lot of weight since she doesn't notice small changes. She then asked if it was a good thing and expressed concern that it wasn't because I am ill. I grinned and reassured her that I have been working at losing. I thanked her for making my day.

What a great feeling. I may have just found my motivation for the next week.

Mia in MI

That was very nice of that lady.. !! Thumbs up to you

Lillian
    in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Terri and Penny love the artwork.

We will have our first hard freeze tonight, so last minute gardening. I do cover because it will only be tonight and then will warm up some. When it is freezing all day that is when I say goodbye to the last of my plants.

:heart: Margaret

We are having very nice weather too ...and apparently for the next two weeks. I wanted to clean out my pots and put them away but they are flowering so pretty... And I need a frost to sweeten up my parsnips but don't seem to be getting that. Don't want to be digging them in the snow...

Lillian
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Linda/IA - Unfortunately, the 21-year-old died at the scene. She was from our area (lived less than five miles from us) although we didn't know her.

I don't know if I said this, so please forgive me for the repeat, but I found out yesterday that the young woman who hit my son had no insurance. The officer is investigating it and called her yesterday about it. She said she had switched to a different company in March, which turned out to be true, however, they said that her policy lapsed in August, so we're still in the same boat. I will have to pull my policy out to see exactly what is covered under my uninsured motorist clause, but I'm expecting that, at best, it might cover some of his medical expenses and nothing for his truck. There is, of course, no money to replace it which means he will be highly unlikely to find employment while at school and will remain homeless for the remainder of the school year. I just want to crawl under a rock and never come out.

Oh, and to add to the aggravation, my mother offered to loan us her extra vehicle (which I REALLY appreciate), but that threw my 28-year-old niece into a temper tantrum because my mother wouldn't loan it to her when she'd asked before. My mother would not loan it to my son over the summer, either. But, at this point, my mother is aware that he has nowhere to sleep and needs transportation to get from one couch to the next, so, I guess, feels that the need is very real and necessary for him at this point. If we do borrow it, I will drive it and let my son take my car so that I will be the one responsible if something happens to it. I can not believe the attitude my niece took! She lives about a mile away from my parents and they do all manner of things for her all the time. I never ask them for anything. It would never have occurred to me or my children to feel jealous if my mother HAD loaned the car to my niece at some point. And, this is why I live 155 miles away from the drama...

I hope everyone is having a great day! I have to muddle through another hour of work and then I'm off to PT. Then I am going home and crawl into bed since it will be too wet to crawl under a rock.

Carol in NC

I so feel for you... ((((hugs)))) when you get home, take your umbrella and go for a walk. I walk and have a good cry ,,, I live in the country with no one around for at least a 1/2 mile.. Please don't crawl into bed or under a rock..

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »

Today I took down most of the annuals on my porch. I started a tomato plant inside this summer, and it’s still going strong in an east facing window. I’d be tickled pink if it continues to yield. I forget how much squatting is involved with gardening. Feelin’ it!

Take care, friends. Stay strong. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Yup... lots of squatting, standing on our heads... I spent yesterday cleaning up my mom's yard. I hope we are finished in mom's yard for this year. And I hope my brothers keep their "stuff" on their own properties from now on. This is the second time we have done this cleanup and they complained about having to do it. So I told them to just not put their "stuff" there and they wouldn't have to move it. 'nuf said!!

14429 steps later....Came home and had a hot mustard soak and this morning sitting on the massage chair. I hope I can move enough today to do the fall cleanup in my own yard. The flowers are still blooming and the weather is supposed to be nice yet for at least two weeks but if I don't do it today I won't have time to get it done until November 1st. Today ... need to do some outside cleanup, get some perennials planted and some buried in sawdust for the winter. Beets and parsnips to come in.... and the last of the tomatoes to can. Best part... I get to go out for supper so I have to be done all this by 5 p.m.

Maybe give your tomato a bit of fertilizer once a week and it just might produce for you for awhile yet.

Lillian
    in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    If I squat down; quite often I can't get up unless something is nearby for me to pull up on; even more - I usually fall on my butt.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    <3