Any ladies taking multivitamin?

Options

Replies

• thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @Kalikel I have hypothyroidism as well and take synthroid, tested low for iron and vitamin D, and other vitamins, so I started with taking iron supplements but decided to switch to a multivitamin to hit all the other stuff- that was the reason for my initial question .

Thanks everyone for all your replies!

Bobo
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Yes I just take a multivitamin nothing fancy and for once my blood work came out normal without any lows.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Kalikel I have hypothyroidism as well and take synthroid, tested low for iron and vitamin D, and other vitamins, so I started with taking iron supplements but decided to switch to a multivitamin to hit all the other stuff- that was the reason for my initial question .

Thanks everyone for all your replies!

Bobo
    I took iron, B-12, D and Calcium...plus a multi. The calcium is because when my thyroid was removed, my parathyroids went with it, so I don't regulate calcium anymore and have to take it all day since calcium is required for all sorts of things.

The B-12 and D were extremely low - one was lower than they can test for, lol. The iron was very low.

I got some by IV after the results came back, so shot up fast there. After that, I got pills, then thyroid surgery, then pills again.

In less than a month after the surgery, I felt so much better. It took about eight months before my Synthroid got straightened out. By then, I felt MUCH better. Like I said, I was like a whole new person. A person with energy. No more, "I just don't feel up to getting the mail today," lol.

My thyroid had begun to shutoff my windpipe and had grown down, throughout my chest, leaving my lungs less room than they needed, so in addition to abysmally low energy levels due to having no thyroid hormone, I was having breathing problems. Any exertion was a huge effort. So, there was all that in addition to the vitamin deficiencies. I was in bad shape! But way, way better now. I can walk eight or ten miles now. :smiley:

I go on and off the iron. I'm trying really hard to get iron in, but I have dietary restrictions that make it difficult.

I do what the doctors tell me to do and I get better. Funny how that works. ;)

All we can do is get good doctors and follow their advice!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I stopped taking vitamins after I finished breastfeeding and don't feel any different. I kinda think they're a scam but I do believe in prenatals if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.

I agree with this, but I do take a multi at my GP's recommendation. She recommended it before research results showed no correlation to morbidity (or a slightly higher morbidity with long term vitamin consumption), so maybe her advice has changed and I'm still taking the old advice. I don't feel any different. Two exceptions: 1) I felt better on iron when I was anemic in college. Eating meat cured the anemia. 2) I got constipated when I took a calcium citrate/D3 vitamin on days I didn't get enough from food. I quit taking it.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Unless your doctor tells you or your levels are low after a blood test, there's really no reason to. I've never taken vitamins in my life, eat a pretty limited diet, and have never come in low on any blood test. I personally feel most vitamins are a scam.

What are you being tested for? Despite having been anemic for decades, I've had to remind doctors to order iron level tests and despite never having a problem with my cholesterol, they always order this.

My last blood test was in March and I asked them to test blood count, electrolytes, kidney & liver function, cholesterol, diabetes/blood sugar, thyroid levels, vitamin D & B12, iron levels and folate. Lol I wanted to be sure everything was normal since I eat limited foods due to my IBS.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried taking a multivitamin as I wanted to see if B vitamins and magnesium would help my migraines. I didn't take one every day and after having several incidents of unexplained vomiting, I realised that it was happening every time I took one, usually about 15 mins after swallowing. I now just take one magnesium, vitamin D and calcium tablet before bed. The dose is two tablets but I hope I am getting a fair bit from my diet. It is too early to say if it is helping with the migraines yet but I am keeping it down at least.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have vitamins and supplements on hand "in case", but generally just juice in the mornings to get most of them. I also eat fresh royal jelly with raw honey in the mornings (good source of b vitamins, zinc, acetyl-choline). I usually make some chocolate concoction (raw cocoa and peanut butter or agave) in the evenings which satisfies the sweet tooth and supplements my magnesium. I eat fruits and veggies through-out the day and do track my micros and find that I generally get my RDA of micros through diet. I do keep a liquid vitamin d supplement readily available and take that frequently as I have issues with dairy and can't always work that into my meals for the day. I have quick growing healthy hair and nails, and ample energy, and my blood work is decent :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I tried taking a multivitamin as I wanted to see if B vitamins and magnesium would help my migraines. I didn't take one every day and after having several incidents of unexplained vomiting, I realised that it was happening every time I took one, usually about 15 mins after swallowing. I now just take one magnesium, vitamin D and calcium tablet before bed. The dose is two tablets but I hope I am getting a fair bit from my diet. It is too early to say if it is helping with the migraines yet but I am keeping it down at least.

Look for gummies if you can find them. I had the same problem with regular vitamin pills but gummies don't upset my stomach at all.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks SueinAz. Not sure why they make me so sick.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Look for gummies if you can find them. I had the same problem with regular vitamin pills but gummies don't upset my stomach at all.

Interesting. A big reason why I stopped taking supplements was the nausea - I thought it was just me. I will have to get some gummies for days I don't juice. Thx for the post!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Unless your doctor tells you or your levels are low after a blood test, there's really no reason to. I've never taken vitamins in my life, eat a pretty limited diet, and have never come in low on any blood test. I personally feel most vitamins are a scam.

What are you being tested for? Despite having been anemic for decades, I've had to remind doctors to order iron level tests and despite never having a problem with my cholesterol, they always order this.

My last blood test was in March and I asked them to test blood count, electrolytes, kidney & liver function, cholesterol, diabetes/blood sugar, thyroid levels, vitamin D & B12, iron levels and folate. Lol I wanted to be sure everything was normal since I eat limited foods due to my IBS.

Good, you're proactive :)
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    so if you have a condition that's how you get insurance to pay for all this blood work?

I asked for 1 little thing once (forgot) and I had to pay out of pocket - seriously high bill.
    i'm not oprah

I hear that! I asked for my cholesterol to be checked once as part of a physical - I guess I was too young to have insurance pay for it because I just about fainted when I saw my bill! Something so simple should not cost so much, no matter who is paying the bill.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I read a study recently that said vitamins don't do any good.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    so if you have a condition that's how you get insurance to pay for all this blood work?

I asked for 1 little thing once (forgot) and I had to pay out of pocket - seriously high bill.
    i'm not oprah

I dunno, all my blood work was covered under my insurance. I was never officially diagnosed with IBS (since there's not really a way to test for it) and so I didn't list it as a pre-existing condition :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I am deficient in B12/6, D, and sometimes iron depending on my diet. I take lots oh vitamins and I don't think I feel a difference except my b12 that energizes me for like 30 mins.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take quite a few vitamins a day at my Dr's recommendation. I don't think it's helped my weight loss, but it does help me in terms of energy and tiredness. I'd recommend it. It's pretty hard to OD on vitamins.
  • Lorie_C
    Lorie_C Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroidism/hashimotos. My Endo checks all my vitamins and minerals in addition to full metabolism panel. I have to supplement D3 by an additional 3000IUs a day. I was deficient and by just doing that alone I no longer complain that I am tired and I also take Rainbow Light Organic multivitamin I order it from Amazon best one on the market for thyroid patients and I feel sonmuch better these days in addition to staying mostly GF and keeping my other items in check. Good luck!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins along with my mineral