• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One a day for women.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I tried taking a multivitamin as I wanted to see if B vitamins and magnesium would help my migraines. I didn't take one every day and after having several incidents of unexplained vomiting, I realised that it was happening every time I took one, usually about 15 mins after swallowing. I now just take one magnesium, vitamin D and calcium tablet before bed. The dose is two tablets but I hope I am getting a fair bit from my diet. It is too early to say if it is helping with the migraines yet but I am keeping it down at least.

Look for gummies if you can find them. I had the same problem with regular vitamin pills but gummies don't upset my stomach at all.

i second this suggestion.
    i have never been able to take regular multivitamins but I can take a gummy. i still try to take it with something else as i find i can still get a tiny bit nauseous
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I supplement B12 and D on my doctor's orders, because my last blood test showed me to be deficient in both.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    hiya, not selling just metioning...Shaklee makes great vitamin/mineral supplements...you should look if you have a chance...I"ve recently started back on their multi vitamin...feel lots better after a few weeks...
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was taking a woman's multivitamin but it made me feel so sick....even when I took it with food.
    So now I take separatley...B-12, Iron, Magnezium, Biotin, Calcium, DHA plus 3 precriptions... I might try another brand multivitamin because taking all these are a pain!

I like the idea of the prenatals. Maybe I'll try those. And I need to get a good probiotic as well.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Anyone trying to do the 1200 calorie diet should seriously consider a multivitamin. It can't hurt, they are not that expensive and it does help to make sure you are reaching some of your vitamin goals that you might not reach otherwise.

Not true. You can actually overdose on vitamins and it is not that hard to do. While most vitamins you just pee out if you get too much (water soluble), others can build up in the body (fat soluble), sometimes to toxic levels.

OP-see your doctor and have blood work done. It can tell you what vitamins you are actually deficient in.

Somebody's going to overdose on vitamins when they are on a 1200 calorie diet? Hmmm....what's more likely a vitamin deficiency on a 1200 calorie diet or a vitamin overdose? Show of hands please.

Stop the scare tactics. If you're on a very low calorie diet you should probably be taking a multivitamin. Most women are short on Vitamin D and Iron anyways.

And yes while I would agree it would be great for everyone to go to the doctor and have blood work done 98% of the people are never going to do that.

I've never heard of anyone overdosing on vitamins...
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can totally overdose on vitamins, especially the ones that are fat-soluble and stored in the body. (You, uh, pee out most of the excess with the water-soluble ones.) Over-supplementing is a bigger cause of hypervitaminosis than diet, in fact.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I just started a Womens Ultra multi mix that has a daily, CoQ10, and B12. I added a B-COmplex, and D3 + Calcium, at the recommendation of my doctor and biotin, to help with my nails and hair. I don't feel any different, apart from maybe being a little less tired, presumable from the B vitamins. :)
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have to take gummies. They're not the best, but if I try to take a 'real' vitamin I vomit. I've tried before breakfast, after, during.... No success. I figure gummies aren't gonna cause a lot of change so I haven't seen any!
  • KatieBearLOL
    KatieBearLOL Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You should not be eating below your BMR. You're not giving your body enough fuel to function and will decrease your lean body mass when your body turns to that for fuel. Not good! I also find it disturbing that you know you're eating below your BMR and thus not giving your body enough fuel, yet you're referring to how you feel while you're doing that as lazy.

Please take care of yourself!

This x1000000000. Eating below your BMR is dangerous and can have very harmful long-term effects on your body. Once you start eating at least at your BMR, your energy will return, your workouts will be much better, and your temperament will improve -- all of which will help you lose weight. It's not worth starving your body for a number on a scale.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You should not be eating below your BMR. You're not giving your body enough fuel to function and will decrease your lean body mass when your body turns to that for fuel. Not good! I also find it disturbing that you know you're eating below your BMR and thus not giving your body enough fuel, yet you're referring to how you feel while you're doing that as lazy.

Please take care of yourself!

This x1000000000. Eating below your BMR is dangerous and can have very harmful long-term effects on your body. Once you start eating at least at your BMR, your energy will return, your workouts will be much better, and your temperament will improve -- all of which will help you lose weight. It's not worth starving your body for a number on a scale.

Mm, nah. It's not bad to eat below your BMR as long as you're hitting all your macros and micros. Most people here lost weight eating below BMR. You're probably thinking of literally eating too little - below 1200 for women, below 1500 for men. That can be very harmful, yes.
    If I ate at my BMR I would only lose maybe 1lb every few months because I don't exercise beyond walking. And even then... I don't walk much. Plus there would be a much smaller margin for error. Any underestimation of my calories would lead to me not losing at all if I were eating at my BMR. So I'll stick to my current calories. I feel fine as I am.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I just take an iron supplement as I have had anaemia for years now.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @ yesimpson
    anemia is not just about iron
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vitamin-deficiency-anemia/basics/definition/con-20019550
    Vitamins linked to vitamin deficiency anemia also include folate, vitamin B-12 and vitamin C
    many vegetarians can't get enough b vitamins in diet
    why not just take a daily multi-vitamin for about the same cost?

Because this particular iron supplement (which does includes B12 and is taken with orange juice to help absorption) is what my doctor has told me to take.

Been tested extensively for vitamin deficiencies and besides my iron levels (ferritin particularly), everything else is tickety-boo. My anaemia is caused by an inherited condition, not any issue with my diet.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Im getting back into taking my multivitamins, i never do notice anything really as far as benefits but I'm glad to know all the vitamins are getting in there. I worry about my bones!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I take a multi to help fill any nutritional gaps in my diet. Currently just taking vitafusion Women's gummies.

Same here, same vitamins. plus B12 for an age related deficiency that is now back to normal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just started a multivitamin patch. It beats taking rounds of vitamin pills every day.
    @brb2008 if you are specifically worried about your bones, perhaps consider a calcium supplement paired with Vitamin C.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I take prenatals because my physician advised me that if you can stomach them they tend to have everything you need. I dont know if they help or not but I dont spend a lot of money so I feel it just helps if I miss something
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, I switched to a post-menopausal multivitamin when I hit my fifties but then I found out I was iron deficient. So I ended up going back to a pregnancy multivitamin for the iron and Folic Acid. It strikes my funny bone. A grandma on pregnancy vitamins.