Why is sleep so important for weight loss

Options
Is this a fact or a bit of a myth? Thanks guys!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Cortisol, the stress hormone, increases when we diet and when we don't get enough sleep. It impacts weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's both. The facts aren't there yet to support, really, but it is still a real thing for many people, including me.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't know anything really about how lack of sleep might impact any biological processes which could affect weight loss, but I do know that for me at least, if I'm tired, I'm more likely to want to eat sweet calorific things and to not resist temptations.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Cortisol, the stress hormone, increases when we diet and when we don't get enough sleep. It impacts weight loss.

This.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/stresscortisol.html

Not the best source material, but best I could find on short notice while at work, on the phone, troubleshooting a remote computer. (lol)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/health/upwave-weight-sleeping/
    Not getting enough sleep can cause weight gain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    A couple of things: Lack of sleep can keep someone eating longer. Lack of sleep reduces GH which helps with burning body fat.
    We burn more body fat sleeping for 8 hours than we do doing 1 hour of hard exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Well seems i am special than.

I hardly sleep ( it is more resting)
    Normal sleeping pattern for me is 3 hours of solid sleep the rest light or awake
    For years and years

And i lose weight just fine.

However i do believe the fact you have to rest your body ( think of muscle repair).
    So i force myself for 8 hours in bed....sleeping reading watching tv I go to bed at 12 stand up at 8 every day. But falling asleep can be at 4 or even later lol

And gaining weight from not sleeping is woo...big time... Were do those calories come from?

If that was true than sleeping means losing weight.... that would be a great solution for the overweight problem.

No sleep doesn't impact according to me, rest however yes.
    Think of the repair and rest the body needs, and when you are tired your willpower and hunger get for a lot of people worse.

So again i lost weight just fine with my not sleeping pattern.

95069916.png
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't know anything really about how lack of sleep might impact any biological processes which could affect weight loss, but I do know that for me at least, if I'm tired, I'm more likely to want to eat sweet calorific things and to not resist temptations.

Same for me. When I'm tired (or hungover) my interest level in eating healthy or within my calorie range is non-existent. My workouts are also not as good.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this. I have actual insomnia and have gone without sleep for 1 - 2 days per week just about as long as I can remember. When I do sleep it's typically 4 - 6 hours max, and I can't remember ever sleeping a full night through without waking up at least once.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Cortisol the stress hormone increases when we don't sleep properly. Imagine you have a stress bucket and each night while you sleep you brain processes and empties it. If you're not sleeping you're not dealing with the stress.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    Cortisol the stress hormone increases when we don't sleep properly. Imagine you have a stress bucket and each night while you sleep you brain processes and empties it. If you're not sleeping you're not dealing with the stress.

Dont you think that is different for each person?

I am not a really stressed person at all lol
    And i seem to lose weight just fine
    With my couple of hours sleep at night.

95069916.png
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I take melatonin to help with this. I find that I don't always sleep soundly and can feel it in my performance the next day. Melatonin knocks me right out, I sleep more soundly than ever and wake up refreshed. YMMV as some say melatonin gives them horrible nightmares.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I take melatonin to help with this. I find that I don't always sleep soundly and can feel it in my performance the next day. Melatonin knocks me right out, I sleep more soundly than ever and wake up refreshed. YMMV as some say melatonin gives them horrible nightmares.

GABA is another. Doesn't make you fall asleep, but it helps you sleep deeper.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Know of any potential side effects? My partner can't take melatonin as she is one of the ones who get's horrifying nightmares. We're looking for alternatives for her.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Know of any potential side effects? My partner can't take melatonin as she is one of the ones who get's horrifying nightmares. We're looking for alternatives for her.

Not that I know of. My dreams are very vivid on it, but never nightmares. I have frequent nightmares and GABA hasn't specifically caused one. I know a container of 400 servings is around $15 on Bodybuilding.com, so I feel it is worth trying.

You can look up more information tonight. Gamma aminobutyric acid.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Not that I know of. My dreams are very vivid on it, but never nightmares. I have frequent nightmares and GABA hasn't specifically caused one. I know a container of 400 servings is around $15 on Bodybuilding.com, so I feel it is worth trying.

Thanks, I will. I'm fine with melatonin, but will give it a try to see how it feels. I'll try to get some and see if my partner responds well, if so, problem solved for her.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks, I will. I'm fine with melatonin, but will give it a try to see how it feels. I'll try to get some and see if my partner responds well, if so, problem solved for her.

You can take GABA and melatonin together. There's a product called Hybern8 that uses both.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing (which I think might have been mentioned above) ... I'm not eating when I'm sleeping.

Over the past couple months I have been incredibly busy with a post-graduate course I've been taking while working full-time. I've been staying up till 2 am on a regularly basis, sometimes later, and then getting up about 7:30 am for work. And I've been having a small extra snack in the evenings. I was still losing weight, but much more slowly than I had been.

Also, when I get tired, my body craves carbohydrates to try to compensate for the tiredness ... to try to keep my blood sugar levels up and brain functioning. So I crave that small extra snack in the evenings.

But the course finished on Saturday, and the last three nights I have been able to go to bed at a more reasonable hour (having a little bit of difficulty pushing back the sleep time, but I'm managing 1 am now, instead of 2 am :)), and so I haven't felt the need to have that extra snack.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    For me, if I don't get much sleep, it's usually because I've had a big day. Some days I get up at 4am for job A and don't go to bed until 12pm for job B. That's a long time to be awake. If i'm awake and up, i'm also burning more calories than I would if I was asleep.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Good info above one biochem process that are increased by sleep.

Also, when you lack sleep your body craves quick energy, which normally is sugars.