October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Any tips on what to do after the 10k training? I went from the Zenlabs c25k app to the 10k training app and now I'm almost done with that. Do people generally start HM training after that? Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. I plan on adding 1.5k each fortnight to my weekly 10k run.. I went from 2-3km to pretty much 10 in a matter of weeks once I learned how to run properly .. I've been told its safe to increase distance by 10% each week.. I'm kind of hoping if I just go slow and feel the run out, I can go much further than my expectations.... Cross fingers! :wink:

At the moment I can only run 3 times a week.. I have been aiming for 5k one day, 7-8k and 10 on the 3rd day (it depends on the week which distance I do when.. But I mainly stick to running weekends and 1 weekday)

I don't really plan to up distance on the two shorter days at the moment.. I'm not really sure if I need to?

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @Zekela welcome and that’s a great goal. maybe one day :)
    @davekss520 nice runs you have there!
    @patrikc333 am glad you relaxed on the weekend. slow is good. i was running about a little over 9 minute mile and switched to 10:30 per mile. the difference in how relaxed i feel is so worth it. but i agree with you, i initially felt the same way, too slow, etc. But of course i am at a different stage of running, so…
    @msf74 that is a great description of the 21.5 km run. glad you got do making and writing about it.
    @somebody_loved congratulations on your 5k. like @ddmom0811 you will be hooked on paying for the runs. i love the races!
    @dharwood68 congrats, you’re awesome. and congrats on meeting the monthly challenge already!
    @smithie092015 excellent race and the pictures in a previous post are awesome. congrats.
    @7lenny7 thanks for sharing—went through some of that myself a few years ago—not easy!
    @JoRocka isn’t it amazing how different a run feels after enough sleep? ugh, i haven’t been able to sleep enough a few days last week and that messed things up for me too.
    @Ohhim am impressed with your running. good luck with your races.
    @aarar amazing running stream. well done.
    @kristinegift already at 189 miles, wow.
    @CrimsonWhite congrats on making your challenge for this month!
    @9voice9 congrats on the 5k, but more on signing up for the 10k. i haven’t done that yet and i think i should next time i am in a race. i will wait for your write up :) and congrats on meeting the challenge.
    @aligarmizo wellcome!
    @ShanazAsiya i have been at it for three and a half months only. i initially followed the app C25K (couch to 5 kilometers) and that helped pace me through running. welcome though.
    @karllundy that change of age groups is funny!
    @9voice9 i find the company subsidizing fitbit really interesting. thanks for the bit about your start!

I thought I will not be able to run today and was so depressed about it. but then was able to squeeze sometime for a run and it was so good.

I upped my target from 70 to 80 miles.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi.. you guys are awesome apparently I just started running not to long ago and the most I can do is..........uhhh okay I'm emberrased to say this I walk three an a half miles . I only walk on Tuesdays and Thursdays.How long have you guys been walking???

@ShanazAsiya Welcome and nothing to be ashamed about. As everyone stated, we all started from somewhere.

Also In see you are living in NJ. I am orginally from NJ and recently moved down here to Alabama like 5 years ago. We have a few others in here that are from NJ or currently living in NJ.

@aligarmizo Welcome to you as well.

I hope you two find this group very encouraging and hope you join us next month for November's Challenge as well.

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Any tips on what to do after the 10k training? I went from the Zenlabs c25k app to the 10k training app and now I'm almost done with that. Do people generally start HM training after that? Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. I plan on adding 1.5k each fortnight to my weekly 10k run.. I went from 2-3km to pretty much 10 in a matter of weeks once I learned how to run properly .. I've been told its safe to increase distance by 10% each week.. I'm kind of hoping if I just go slow and feel the run out, I can go much further than my expectations.... Cross fingers! :wink:

At the moment I can only run 3 times a week.. I have been aiming for 5k one day, 7-8k and 10 on the 3rd day (it depends on the week which distance I do when.. But I mainly stick to running weekends and 1 weekday)

I don't really plan to up distance on the two shorter days at the moment.. I'm not really sure if I need to?

I pretty much plan on doing the same thing since most of what I've read has said to increase by 10% each week, also. I'm also curious about distance... I'm under the impression that it's perfectly fine to do 2 shorter runs and one longer run to increase your distance but I'd love other peoples take on that.

I just signed up for a 12k on December 20th so that'll be something good to aim for and keep me motivated!
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I went from 10K to HM personally. I am not going to persuade you to run a HM or keep running 10Ks but I would encourage you to continue increasing mileage slowly which would benefit both distances as you increase your aerobic base. Not to persuade you, but many HMs give you a medal while most 10Ks don't. Although a few do.

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I went from 10K to HM personally. I am not going to persuade you to run a HM or keep running 10Ks but I would encourage you to continue increasing mileage slowly which would benefit both distances as you increase your aerobic base. Not to persuade you, but many HMs give you a medal while most 10Ks don't. Although a few do.

I 100% want to run a HM... it's my ultimate running goal. Is there a bridge program from 10k to HM that you know of?
  • miss_vicky_5
    miss_vicky_5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    10/19 - 3.99 miles
    10/21 - 4.96 miles
    10/22 - 4.53 miles
    10/25 - 4.05 miles run. This one was hard. No idea why, but I was feeling really tired. HR all over the place.
    10/25 - 2.24 miles - hike
    10/27 - 4.06 miles

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 miles - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR: 1:43:38)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills
    10/8: 10 miles (am), 6.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/9: Rest day
    10/10: 20.5 miles
    10/11: 4 miles
    10/12: Rest day
    10/13: 8 miles, very hilly!
    10/14: 7 miles speedwork
    10/15: 8 miles (am), 3.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/16: 2 miles to shake off the drove-for-3.5-hours feeling
    10/17: 13.1 miles - Baltimore Half Marathon (1:44:24)
    10/18: Rest/Lazy Day
    10/19: 5 miles
    10/20: XT: 15 miles indoor bike (aka: 1 episode of Blindspot)
    10/21: 7.7 miles speedwork (2ish mile warm up, 3.5 miles speedwork, 2ish mile cooldown)
    10/22: 5.2 miles (am), 4.6 miles solo and 6.4 miles with Thursday crew
    10/23: O Holy Rest Day!
    10/24: 6.2 miles
    10/25: 16 miles
    10/26: 6.2 miles
    10/27: XT: 5k walking/taking pictures of the canal trail because FALL IS THE BEST SEASON

mafli0b5ajbv.png

h6lgixe7fy0y.png

I ran through this gorgeous scenery yesterday and vowed to go back for "cross-training" today to snap pictures for all of you. We're getting these colors later than last year, but it was worth the wait. More photos on my instagram: http://www.instagram.com/shesagift

189/220

exercise.png

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift

amazing, I'm jealous!
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2015
    Options

The 10% rule is pretty standard but has received a lot of crtiticsm. Basically the criticism states that there is nothing scientific about the 10% Rule. It may be too aggressive for some folks and it maybe not be aggressive enough for others. Bottom line is that your body will let you know if you are increasing too fast. I will however suggest that if you are increasing mileage to keep 2 things in mind. All your paces need to be "easy" or conversational as you build up mileage. Doing these other tempo or other speed workouts should only be done after you achieve your desired weekly mileage. While you increase, keep everything easy. Also consider cutback weeks (also known as down weeks) every 3 or 4 weeks to absorb your training increases.

I pretty much plan on doing the same thing since most of what I've read has said to increase by 10% each week, also. I'm also curious about distance... I'm under the impression that it's perfectly fine to do 2 shorter runs and one longer run to increase your distance but I'd love other peoples take on that.

I just signed up for a 12k on December 20th so that'll be something good to aim for and keep me motivated!

So if you run 3x a week (assuming you are taking 1 to 2 days rest in between each run) then that is pretty standard for lower mileages. Just make sure your longest of the run is not more than 25-35% of your weekly mileage. If you want to run more miles but your long run is starting to get too out of proportion from your other runs, then you may have to consider adding a 4th day, even if that 4th day is ran at a recovery pace. Again everything should be no faster than conversational for now.

I 100% want to run a HM... it's my ultimate running goal. Is there a bridge program from 10k to HM that you know of?

Not that I know of. I just slowly increased my long run to 14 miles before I ran my first HM. But your goal is to make it to 13 (even 12 miles is sufficient) in your last training long run. For 13 miles however, you are talking about 40 weekly miles. You will not want to break that up by only 3 runs a week. Even if you got to 35 miles a week and you broke that out to 4 days that would suggest 12 mile long run and 3 other 7.67 mile runs. Or break those 3 other runs up in a way they add up to 23. So if one of them were 10 miles, the long run 12, and then 2 other 6.5 mile runs that would work too. But you build up to that slowly. Each week you increase, you add a mile or so to a different run so you are constantly spreading the miles up. If your body begins to become really sore by the time you get to your next workout, then ease back the miles or take a cutback week to reset and absorb those miles from the prior weeks.

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

HM would be great! It would be an ultimate goal for sure! I was looking at HM programs but it seems you have to start most of them 10-15 weeks before the HM? So something long term, I'm just going to up the 10k distance on my own and see how I go.

@Stoshew71 Thanks for the info! :smile:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    October Goal—stretch goal 120 km, realistic goal 100 km
    10/1—rest getting a cold I think…
    10/2—10.18 km
    10/3—rest, taking care of errands and resting up for…
    10/4–10.73 km
    10/5—typhoon day, good thing it’s a traditional rest day anyway
    10/6–5.16 km
    10/7—rest
    10/8–5.49 km
    10/9—rest
    10/10–13.92 km
    10/11—3.34 km recovery run
    10/12—5.12 km
    10/13—2.89 km
    10/14—rest
    10/15—5.38 km
    10/16—rest
    10/17—5.24 km—2 laps around a hilly park
    10/18—15.53 km
    10/19—rest
    10/20—5.10 km
    10/21—rest
    10/22—complete rest day—no running no weights
    10/23—5.37 km
    10/24—10.47 km
    10/25—8.42 km. 4 times around a hilly loop in a local park. The worst hill (HILLdegaard) is my current nemesis.
    10/26—rest
    10/27—traditional run day, but I was still feeling exhausted from this weekend so I decided to rest
    10/28—5.11 km—pollution MISERABLE 31:14 5k time
  • Stoshew71
    Options

HM would be great! It would be an ultimate goal for sure! I was looking at HM programs but it seems you have to start most of them 10-15 weeks before the HM? So something long term, I'm just going to up the 10k distance on my own and see how I go.

@Stoshew71 Thanks for the info! :smile:

In the mean time, you can build up the mileage as you train for a 10K. It doesn't have to take you 10-15 weeks if you built up the mileage. Once you built up the mileage you can then sign up for one.

That is why i never followed an actual plan. Case in point. Once I completed my first HM, a few weeks later I got interested in a full marathon. So I looked up marathon training plans. The first "beginner" one I looked at was an 18 week plan but had me starting way below where I was at during that time. In other words, I was already doing a 14 mile long run and running about 40 miles a week. I didn't think to start back down to 15 mile week with a 6 mile long run. But that is what the plan called for. So I just started increasing mileage from where I was at. That was in April of 2014. By August I managed a 20 mile long run, however my weekly miles didn't support that 20 miler so then I started increasing my other runs.

You can do the same thing, just start increasing miles and keep running 10K's. Once you get near the range that you feel you are getting closer to the HM training distance (you don't have to follow a plan to do that, just follow the principles I listed above) then you can start getting specific about HM training and maybe even sign up for one. Don't box yourself into the 15 week plan. Plus the extra mileage per week will make you faster for the 10K even if all that mileage is just conversational. The more miles thing works, trust me. Just don't increase too fast that you end up injured.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm in. I've got 61.87 miles on my shoes since the 1st so I'm aiming for 71.3 miles this month. Next month I will aim for a 75 mile goal. :p
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In the mean time, you can build up the mileage as you train for a 10K. It doesn't have to take you 10-15 weeks if you built up the mileage. Once you built up the mileage you can then sign up for one.

I read this and I can see how it could be misinterpreted what I wrote. It may take you 10, 15, maybe even longer weeks. Depends how fast your body can absorb the training. But what I am saying is that once you decide you are ready for a HM, you don't have to wait for 10-15 weeks if you feel that you already built enough mileage in your training. So increase the mileage at your own rate that fits your fitness level and schedule and once you feel comfortable, then sign up.

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thank you SO much for all the info! I actually run 4 days a week as of now (I should have specified that earlier) with 1-2 rest days between runs so that should be no problem. I'm signed up for a 12k 2 months from now and I'll evaluate where I'm at after that and choose a HM for sometime next year. I'll just keep increasing my mileage as I go along and be sure to listen to my body in the process. Thanks again for all the information - I really appreciate it!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - beautiful pictures!

I made it to my destination and they do have internet, so I've been keeping up with everyone's posts. Finally got up early enough to go out running around the area near my hotel. I asked the front desk staff and while it's a busy bar scene in this area at night, early in the morning is very safe to run around. :)

924cf53225a18ab_black.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1- Rest
    2-2.65 without Garmin
    3- Rest (travel,eat, sleep)
    4-13.37 HM 2:23:50
    5-rest, waiting for chafed thighs to heal
    6- rest, still waiting
    7-3.03
    8th thru13th- nada, Cuboid pain.
    14- 3.40
    15-piriformis steroid injection
    16- rest
    17- 3.02
    18-5.55
    19- rest
    20-lazy
    21-travel/rehab
    22-lazy/pain
    23-1.2 strike rehab mile.
    24-3.36
    25- rest
    26- rehab
    27-4.8

40.38/90+

Upcoming races:
    10/31/15 Monster Dash 10K, Ft. Worth
    3/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    3/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    4/24/16 OKC Memorial
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Hi all, took another day off because of my mouth killing me. Not sure if my diet of mashed potatoes and ice cream is a good thing or bad thing.

@dharwood68 awesome job getting back to running after the transplant, I'll pray for your continued good health.
    @mamamollyt I'd love to come over and run with you :smile:
    @juliet3455 wow on the big races, I do one or two that are big, but I try to hit little ones too. I've runs 5K and 10Ks that have had as little as 80 people in them ha ha
    @karllundy celebrating change of AG birthday, I love that!
    @somebody_loved I went from 5K to signing up for a HM, @stoshew71 recommended I find a 10K or two to run before my half and I did and was glad I did. I have never done any official type of training program I just run what I run. My first HM I ran 12.5 miles before the race itself on the course. I didn't run the whole thing on purpose because I didn't want a time in my head on race day. I'm running another half on 11/14 and in the past few weeks I've done one or two 11 milers and last week a 13 miler so my brain would know I can do it. You might check a local running store (not sure if anyone else mentioned this) I know Fleet Feet has a HM training program.
    @kristinegift I love the pictures, makes me miss home.

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yea!!

exercise.png