October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    On the subject of bras.... guys can just skip this post. :blush:
    Great idea on stitching the sports bra pads! I have one of those bags to wash lingerie in. I always put bras in the bag and then I hang the bras to dry. Sometimes I have to adjust the pads after the washing machine before I hang them but not usually. OMG I can't imagine restuffing those pads in -- that's just impossible.

I have a huge variety of sports bras. I think my favorites are an Under Armour and a VS. But then, I have a different model of VS that I am not that crazy about. It's got huge pads that look really fake or something. Today I got a Alexis Sports Bra by "Moving Comfort Surf" in the mail from a bike store, along with new bike shorts and Hoo Ha Ride Glide Chamois Butter Cream :blush: I wore the bra to my cycling class and day one felt great - but the real test is washing and running with it.

Seriously? Hoo Ha ride glide! That's a HOOt, HA ha!
    I do the lingerie bas for socks.

I'm on a serious bra hunt. I love all the feedback!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui love the tattoo :) and the id: big turtle!
    @jtarmom sorry to hear of the problems, but i grew believing in all these stretches, they really do work—despite my novice understanding of the running world
    @kristinegift you’re doing amazing work. a day of less will pass :) just read your update, am so glad your later run was better and can’t wait to hear about your HM on Saturday
    @karef and @Stoshew71 when I did my run today, I decided to slow down at my second half and the difference was amazing. my muscles were so rested and I was about to increase the distance, but decided to stick with my original plan. But, in the first half I did not imagine extending my run, in the second half I felt i could go on and on.
    @karef very excellent and very ambitious!

Everybody: in preparation for the cold running weather, especially like the one we have in Wisconsin, are there any do’s and dont’s or a list of things that one needs to take into account about how to dress, etc.?

Also, this is for running men, what kinds of shorts or running pants do you wear and do you wear an underwear with them? (sorry, tmi :)

10/1 4.75 -- I would like to do 6+ miles in the coming days, so, am resting tomorrow!
    10/2 rest day
    10/3 6.51 -- first 10k, longest run (time), and farthest run (distance)
    10/4 rest day--this was a horrible day, could not get any exercise done and felt miserable
    10/5 no running, but good elliptical workout
    10/6 5.53 -- excellent run. the weather was cool and crisp, my muscles cooperated and all went well
    10/7 3.11 -- recovery run? that's what i thought of this one. felt good though!
    10/8 5.61 -- very good run.
    10/9 3.11 -- a little over 9 minutes mile pace!
    10/10 rest, the elliptical hour
    10/11 5.00
    10/12 rest, great elliptical session
    10/13 6.52 — very nice run: farthest I went since i started running; fastest 10K (well, second and faster :) at 10:33 per mile.
    10/14 3.2
    10/15 3.37

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere.

Exactly! And nice start too! I rushed in way too fast and hurt myself.. Found out only the hard way that I need to go slow. Just enjoy it :smile:

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @jtarmom - my husband jokes that I spend all my time getting ready to run, recovering from my run or getting ready to go to the gym! I work from home so I do stretch things out during the day when the fit in my schedule for the day.
    @HonuNui - love, love, love your tat and I also love sea turtles!
    @Stoshew71, @skippygirlsmom and @kristinegift - better yet why don't you all come to California for a race? There are lots of great ones - SF either half or the full, Long Beach, Surf City, La Jolla... the list could go on and on!
    @Stoshew71 - love the cartoon!
    @HealthyFocused715 - Welcome back to the challenge!
    @skippygirlsmom - I hate the sports bras with the pads too! I don't have as many as Skip but they end up just the same. I even lost one of the pads in the washer or dryer... what the heck!?! I think it must thought it was a sock and went where ever they go. I like @JoRocka's idea to put a stitch in them so they don't come out or move around!
    @Elise4270 - I like the Under Armour bra's the best. Also the ones at Target (I think they are Champion) are not bad for the money but then I am a founding member of the Little Bitty Club so I can't talk to support requirements. My daughter who does need support really likes the Moving Comfort bras.

I tried the build up run today that @msf74 recommended. I had limited time and was planning just to go for a tempo run but this was actually challenging and fun. I went much faster than I thought possible overall. Total was 4.4 miles at 11:30, 10:21, 10:08, 9:41 (last 1.4 mile) for a 9.6 min/mile overall! Overall a fantastic run!
    The temps are better - cooler, overcast and humid! I am hoping for a nice easy run tomorrow and a long run on Saturday.

Date.......Miles......Total
    10/01.......8.45........8.45 - +Strength Training
    10/02.......0.00........8.45
    10/03.......6.12......14.57
    10/04.......4.47......19.04
    10/05.......5.39......24.43 - + Agility
    10/06.......4.70......29.13 - + Strength Training
    10/07.......0.00......29.13
    10/08.......5.12......34.25
    10/09.......7.57......41.82
    10/10.....10.90......52.72 - Early long run
    10/11.......0.00......52.72 - Dog beach Sunday, a little walking, a little running. Hot even on the beach
    10/12.......6.29......59.01 - + Agility
    10/13.......6.16......65.17 - + Strength Training
    10/14.......0.00......65.17
    10/15.......4.40......69.57 - + Strength Training

exercise.png
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Date: 2/10 Length: 7.1 km Duration: 0:39:33 Total: 7.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 4/10 Length: 12km Duration: 1:12:50 Total: 19.1 km of 100 km
    Date: 6/10 Length: 8.2km Duration: 0.50:02 Total:27.3 km of 100 km
    Date: 7/10 Length: 8.6km Duration: 0.55:23 Total:35.9 km of 100 km
    Date: 11/10 Length: 8.1km Duration: 0.42:45 Total:44 km of 100 km
    Date: 13/10 Length: 8km Duration: 0.47:56 Total:52 km of 100 km
    Date: 16/10 Length: 8km Duration: 0.42:49 Total:60 km of 100 km

Another build up run last night. It was along the same route as my run on the 11/10 but in the cold, dark evening. It's getting chilly here in the UK.

My pacing was better this time round and was more even. Felt good at the end of the run and the fast section was enjoyable and manageable. I felt strong and ready for more. It was around the same time as the initial attempt (a 4 second difference but given I was being more careful due to running in the dark that is fine by me) as well.

The plan for the next couple of weeks shifts to longer steady paced runs so I am going to miss the build ups. I find long runs harder to recover from than intervals or tempo runs and they can be more challenging mentally as I currently lack the discipline to stick to a slower pace though I know it is good for me. We shall see!

I have a 10k early tomorrow with some friends. I am going out for drinks tonight so tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Stoshew71, @skippygirlsmom and @kristinegift - better yet why don't you all come to California for a race? There are lots of great ones - SF either half or the full, Long Beach, Surf City, La Jolla... the list could go on and on!

California is definitely on the list! You guys have some amazing races! The other MA student in my program spent her summer in the SF area for an Arabic program, and if she wasn't engaged to a guy glued to NYC for med school, she'd be moving there in a heart beat.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - my son says the same any time he come with me, he complains how long I take to get ready. I also work from home.
    @msf74 - I'm in Ireland and can say the same about the cold dark evenings. While the weather is fantastic at the moment the temperature really drops in the evening. I prefer running in the crisp evenings to being attacked by flies in the summer. A torch is on my shopping list this week as its dark here at 7pm
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @kareF -- thanks!! Totally love the support on this thread.

Btw- loving the sports bra talk. Could always use recommendations because ever since I had my little girl (5.5 months) they are just... Different, lol. Can't get away with a regular racer back cheapie anymore. Dangit.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Well done everyone the miles are really adding up :smile:
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I exclusively wear Moving Comfort. The Maia is THE BEST for larger cup sizes, but they have a bunch of varieties that are all great.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    10.1: 6
    10.3: 1.1
    10.4: 9
    10.8: 5.2
    10.9: 2.5
    10.11: 10
    10.12: 1.5
    10.13: 4
    10.15: 5

I've been struggling with low energy levels this week. I've been pretty strict with my calories, which I think might be part of it. I know I need to fuel correctly to run and lift, but its so tempting to skip a snack in the hopes of seeing a lower number on the scale.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    Also, this is for running men, what kinds of shorts or running pants do you wear and do you wear an underwear with them? (sorry, tmi :)
    I'm guessing you're kinda joking (given the sports bra part of the thread), but....

One of the best pieces of advice I "ran" across was - there should ALWAYS be at least 2 layers between your junk and the world. So, for summer, I'm wearing lined but kinda skimpy shorts (very light-weight and flappy - right now, my favorites are BCG, the Academy Sports store brand). For winter, I have some RoadRunner.com compression long pants, and I'll throw on a pair of summer shorts over 'em to keep the 2+ layers rule in effect. No underwear with any of 'em. Can't imagine the kind of binding/twisting issues that'd lead to, and the funk of run sweat <ugh>.

I'm looking right now for some compression long pants in white - my current ones are black, and after my car incident, I'm all about keeping visibility as high as possible.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    BTW - this week marks one year on FitBit. Got it on 14-Oct-14, and my first weigh-in and full day of steps was 15-Oct. My weight that day was 228#. Since then, I'm down to 189# this week (have been down to 186#, but...), and have taken 5.59 MILLION steps or 3,176 miles.

Obviously, I'm kinda proud of myself. Not where I wanna be, but certainly closer than I was last year.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @snha try this link to a discussion about cold weather gear and layering guide. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/401508/running-in-cold-weather/p1
    As to male undergarments I Love my " SAXX Kinectic's " with 7" inseam. They do for men what a good sports bra does for the ladies. Initially just bought a few pairs for Hiking and Running now that's all I buy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10081181/running-gear#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10059519/running-gear-is-taking-over-my-wardrobe#latest

It's that time where you need to think about your future gear needs and add it to your Wish List. Naughty or nice it doesn't matter.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    snha wrote: »

I'm looking right now for some compression long pants in white - my current ones are black, and after my car incident, I'm all about keeping visibility as high as possible.

oh my goodness...rofl... I had to read this a couple times before I realized you wanted to be visible to cars. At first I thought you were saying you wanted your junk visible! :lol:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OMG I don't log on last night and we're talking Hoo Ha glide and junk visibility LOL! I love this group!

On the bra front. I wear Danskin's for the most part that I got at WalMart, they don't have the escaping pads. Skip is just growing and doesn't really need support more about coverage so she likes the "flatter" Under Amour and Nike ones. More money more aggravation. We have a "stuffing" party after each laundry day. LOL My daughter and I are bra stuffers!

@shanaber I'm good with a race in CA!
    @juliet3455 thank you for the compliment, I think it's her that inspires me.
    @9voice9 that is awesome, congrats on the fantastic year! ha ha on the 2 layer rule, sounds like a good idea though.
    @snha I'm a fan of laying in the winter. I don't like anything really bulky so when it's really cold, like 5F which we did get quite a bit of last year I wear a base layer (top and bottom), long tights on the bottom, long sleeve running shirt and under amour hoodie on top. I wear gloves and a headband, there were days I wore a face mask so only my little eyes were showing and there were freezing ha ha!
    I love this link by runner's world: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear you input all the conditions and it tells you what to wear, so cool.
    @kristinegift good luck tomorrow!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/4 - rest day Allen's son is in the Nat'l Guard and was supposed to jump yesterday. We were headed there when they cancelled the jump :-1:
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/6 - 5.1 recovery miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 6.6 miles of hilly hills :smiley: not big hills just rolling up and down and up and down
    10/9 - 5 miles my first mile I thought was crappy because I thought my watch said 10:50 and it felt like 10:50. Turned out it was 10:05 which I didn't realize until I pushed harder and my next split was 9:47. Ended up with a 9:49 pace... so happy especially after dancing too much and too late at the Miranda Lambert concert last night!
    10/10 - 5 miles - 9:55 pace don't know what's gotten into me. Ran with Skip who is home from Disney.
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day
    10/13 - 11.1 miles (yes I want my .1)
    10/14 - 5 miles - recovery run with Skip, cool morning about 44F at run time.
    10/15 - 5 miles - another cool morning, I wanted to add a few miles but I got out late so had to stick to my usual run
    10/16 - 3.5 miles I don't know if the stress of this week got to me, if Allen leaving yesterday got to me or my legs just rebelled this morning LOL From step one to failure on my 6 mile run today I felt like crap. Got to about 3 miles and said the hell with it and went home. Oh well 3.5 is better than 0!

79.6 of 120 miles

jy25rzieu5cq.jpg

Skip has a meet tomorrow and Sunday we are supposed to do about 8 miles with the trail group we joined, so another busy weekend starts!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    10.1: 6
    10.3: 1.1
    10.4: 9
    10.8: 5.2
    10.9: 2.5
    10.11: 10
    10.12: 1.5
    10.13: 4
    10.15: 5

I've been struggling with low energy levels this week. I've been pretty strict with my calories, which I think might be part of it. I know I need to fuel correctly to run and lift, but its so tempting to skip a snack in the hopes of seeing a lower number on the scale.

exercise.png

That is easy to do. I started a vitiman B supplement and its helped a noticeable amount. Might toy with your calories on run days, or maybe the day before.
  • Elise4270
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @shanaber I think we should organize a group run. It'd be an awesome tradition to start maybe 2-3 times a year in various areas.

I think I'm gonna be OK to continue running. So I'll be the first to say "I'm in"!

Maybe we can start adding the races we plan on running with our mileage and others can join in? Ideas?

I have the rock and roll half in Dallas March 19-20th..
    I also plan on the SOS again in Lawton OK on October 2016.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't know why or when they decided to start putting the pads in sport bras, but I also just throw mine. Other than for extra sweat absorption, I can't imagine why they are there!!! @Elise4270 - I buy mine at TJ Maxx and I will buy any brand that makes them primarily with cotton.
    @kristinegift - Sorry if this already well known by everyone but me...but are you running the Baltimore Half this weekend??

10/1, 3 miles
    10/2, 5.2 miles
    10/3, 14 miles
    10/4, yoga for runners
    10/5, Zumba
    10/6, 4.75 miles
    10/7, 5.2 miles
    10/8, 8 miles
    10/9, rest
    10/10, local 5K here in Maine, finished in 25:31!!
    10/11, 6 mile hike
    10/12, 1 mile
    10/13, Zumba and yoga for runners
    10/14, 7.6 miles
    10/15, 5.0 miles

Goal: 85 miles. Total 56.85 miles.