October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    PT said a touch of patellar tendonitis, mostly from having a weak core causing my back/hips to get out of alignment. He adjusted my back, and it feels 'better' but not 100%. I'm to concentrate on my core from now on, and my hips/glutes to keep the ITBS away, and my running form so I don't run too upright. So much to think about, I'm a little overwhelmed. And where to find the time to do all these exercises AND run at the same time? It's becoming my second job. Could be worse - at least he said I could run as long as it didn't hurt. :)

jtarmom wrote: »
    @stoshew71- THANK YOU for the links! I'm going to go through all of them and I have an appt with the PT this afternoon.
    @SAfricaChick - that's what I'm hoping. I'll rest and use the elliptical (while working on whatever muscle group is weakest) and I'm pretty confidant that as long as I keep some kind of cardio up I'll be OK for the race next weekend.
    @5BeautifulDays , @skippygirlsmom , @ddmom0811 - thank you! Hopefully I can figure out what is going on.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Oct 1 - cycling class
    Oct 2 - rest - traveling
    Oct 3 - rest
    Oct 4 - 13.1 HM!
    Oct 5 - rest - traveling
    Oct 6 - cycling class
    Oct 7 - 4.71 + strength training
    Oct 8 - 3.01 slow and steady
    Oct 9 - strength training
    Oct 10 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 11 - 40 mile bike ride
    Oct 12 - 5 miles
    Oct 13 - cycling class
    Oct 14 - 5.21 miles + strength training
    Oct 15 - 4.25 + cycling class

exercise.png

Thanks for the links again @Stoshew71! I've just been running about 1.5 years - after starting off with walking for about a year, similar to @SAfricaChick. So I still feel like a newbie. One thing I picked up from the article on mistakes that new runners make is that I really don't have much variety in my speed. I pretty much keep the same pace every run. Some days I'm faster, some slower, but it isn't intentional. Going to work on that.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/4 - rest day Allen's son is in the Nat'l Guard and was supposed to jump yesterday. We were headed there when they cancelled the jump :-1:
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/6 - 5.1 recovery miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 6.6 miles of hilly hills :smiley: not big hills just rolling up and down and up and down
    10/9 - 5 miles my first mile I thought was crappy because I thought my watch said 10:50 and it felt like 10:50. Turned out it was 10:05 which I didn't realize until I pushed harder and my next split was 9:47. Ended up with a 9:49 pace... so happy especially after dancing too much and too late at the Miranda Lambert concert last night!
    10/10 - 5 miles - 9:55 pace don't know what's gotten into me. Ran with Skip who is home from Disney.
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day
    10/13 - 11.1 miles (yes I want my .1)
    10/14 - 5 miles - recovery run with Skip, cool morning about 44F at run time.

71.1 of 120 miles

exercise.png

@5beautifuldays how do you like rowing?
    @jorocka I'll have to look at your pix at home, work is blocking them :angry:
    @marissaxzxzxz sometimes you can't look at the scale, I try to go by how my clothes fit.
    @jtarmom since the pain seems to be getting worse, it might be time to see a doc or PT :cry:
    @kristinegift I wish we lived closer so Skip could run with you, I know I hold her back and she would do great with a running partner like you.

Aww, well who knows where I'll land after graduation ;) Even though you might feel like you're holding her back, on the flipside, it's good for her to take some runs at a much easier pace. Good for recovery!

If @kristinegift moved closer to you @skippygirlsmom, she then would be moving closer to me as well. This area is awesome for runners.

http://www.huntsvilletrackclub.org/
    http://www.werunhuntsville.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Werunhuntsville/
    http://www.runninglane.com/wrh

Plus very low cost of living but very developed area. They say it's like a northern city stuck in the middle of the South. With NASA & U.S. Army Aviation & Missile Research Development & Engineering Center & Army Aviation Center of Excellence, we literally have rocket scientists that live down here.

1 Hour south of nashville, 3 hours from Atlanta, 1 and half from Chattenooga, and we sit in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Great places to run and very easy to get lots of elevation.

Just saying. ;-)

You've almost got me sold. But how hot are your summers? :p

We have air conditioning and swimming pools. You get used to the heat. Plus heat training does great things for the cardiovascular system, just drink plenty of liquids. And you will have to get up super early like the rest of us do to get in a run. Plus think of winters being mild.

I don't think it's any hotter here than Jersey to be honest, I find Jersey to be more humid. The major downfall...5 hours to an ocean!!!!! But everything else @stoshew71 said is dead on. What's funny is Stan and I lived about 20 mins apart in NJ and now live about 20 apart here in AL. Small world.

Eh, I don't even like oceans. Besides finishing alongside the ocean at the NJ half in April, I've never been. ::gasp:: You guys are making my realize though that in June I can move ANYWHERE, and that's exciting. Though the Midwest is calling me back... :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR!)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills
    10/8: 10 miles (am), 6.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/9: Rest day
    10/10: 20.5 miles
    10/11: 4 miles
    10/12: Rest day
    10/13: 8 miles, very hilly!
    10/14: 7 miles speedwork
    10/15: 8 miles

Very meh this morning. Meant to do 9 but it was just taking me so long. Idk if I pushed too hard Tues/Wed with the hills and speedwork, or if it is the stress of the week or my tendency toward a little less sleep than usual lately, but it was so hard to get my legs moving today. Only doing 3 instead of 6 with the group tonght since I'm mini-tapering for Baltimore HM, so hopefully those miles are a kick in the pants ;)

113.2/220

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    October goal 75 miles

@karllundy : Honu= turtle, Nui- big. I am big, old and run like a turtle, hence, HonuNui (pic of my honu tattoo and custom ukulele based on the design:
    jd9hpz3knhzp.jpg

That is awesome! I loved all the turtle symbolism when I was in Hawaii! So much, the shirt I got had a turtle pattern...it is super cool, but is a size 3XL purchased about 90 lbs. ago!

Thanks for sharing how you got your name!
  • karllundy
    Options

I get asked all the time, when are you going to do a full marathon. Never. Though I'm in awe of folks who do. I do 5Ks because they are fun (and I like the chance of winning gift cards to Fleet Feet), I do 8Ks because I LOVE that distance, I do 10Ks because they are more of a challenge and everyone where I live needs to run the Cotton Row 10K freaking hill at least once LOL and I run/ran a half because that distance challenges me to be my best and doesn't kill me. I'm good running for about 2.5 hours, double that and add some, no thank you. Plus I'm old I wouldn't finish a full until after my social security check started. :wink:

More or less, this! I haven't completely eliminated the possibility, but love that I can do a few half marathon's a year without jumping to that next big level of training time / commitment and increased possibility of injury. Never done an 8k, but 5k is fun and I can do it with my 9 year old twins, 10k is a great distance and the half is my favorite as it is not so long I have to worry about fueling, etc. during the race, but still feels like a huge accomplishment when completed...plus the atmosphere of race weekend is awesome!
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are finally some sunny days in NC. I got a 7 1/2 mile run in yesterday. Looking to do about 5 miles today.

10/1/15 3.64 mi
    10/9/15 4.6 mi
    10/14/15 7.53 mi

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/4 - rest day Allen's son is in the Nat'l Guard and was supposed to jump yesterday. We were headed there when they cancelled the jump :-1:
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 6.6 miles of hilly hills :smiley: not big hills just rolling up and down and up and down
    10/9 - 5 miles my first mile I thought was crappy because I thought my watch said 10:50 and it felt like 10:50. Turned out it was 10:05 which I didn't realize until I pushed harder and my next split was 9:47. Ended up with a 9:49 pace... so happy especially after dancing too much and too late at the Miranda Lambert concert last night!
    10/10 - 5 miles - 9:55 pace don't know what's gotten into me. Ran with Skip who is home from Disney.
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day

71.1 of 120 miles

exercise.png

@5beautifuldays how do you like rowing?
    @jorocka I'll have to look at your pix at home, work is blocking them :angry:
    @marissaxzxzxz sometimes you can't look at the scale, I try to go by how my clothes fit.
    @jtarmom since the pain seems to be getting worse, it might be time to see a doc or PT :cry:
    @kristinegift I wish we lived closer so Skip could run with you, I know I hold her back and she would do great with a running partner like you.

Aww, well who knows where I'll land after graduation ;) Even though you might feel like you're holding her back, on the flipside, it's good for her to take some runs at a much easier pace. Good for recovery!

If @kristinegift moved closer to you @skippygirlsmom, she then would be moving closer to me as well. This area is awesome for runners.

http://www.huntsvilletrackclub.org/
    http://www.werunhuntsville.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Werunhuntsville/
    http://www.runninglane.com/wrh

Plus very low cost of living but very developed area. They say it's like a northern city stuck in the middle of the South. With NASA & U.S. Army Aviation & Missile Research Development & Engineering Center & Army Aviation Center of Excellence, we literally have rocket scientists that live down here.

1 Hour south of nashville, 3 hours from Atlanta, 1 and half from Chattenooga, and we sit in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Great places to run and very easy to get lots of elevation.

Just saying. ;-)

You've almost got me sold. But how hot are your summers? :p

We have air conditioning and swimming pools. You get used to the heat. Plus heat training does great things for the cardiovascular system, just drink plenty of liquids. And you will have to get up super early like the rest of us do to get in a run. Plus think of winters being mild.

I don't think it's any hotter here than Jersey to be honest, I find Jersey to be more humid. The major downfall...5 hours to an ocean!!!!! But everything else @stoshew71 said is dead on. What's funny is Stan and I lived about 20 mins apart in NJ and now live about 20 apart here in AL. Small world.

@skippygirlsmom I used to also say, "And no damn good pizza." But I actually found a fairly decent place. Not quite exactly like home, but better than most the others around here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Venice+Pizza/@34.714244,-86.66891,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x4260e8c3d4fc48d7

@stoshew71 as far as pizza we go to the mall when we can, but we started going to Venice about a year ago yummy. For a while there was Tommy's in Bridge Street he was originally from New York, but they went out of business. A sure sign people here don't know good pizza.

@kristinegift Skip wants to move to Australia after college to live. I tell her go anywhere and see everything. I'd miss the life out of her, but then again there is nothing keeping me in Alabama either.

• karllundy
    Options
    @MamaMollyT - GORGEOUS!
    @Elise4270 - I am sorry your ankle hurts, but "Angry Cuboid" sounds like a garage band name...hee hee. Glad you got some miles in!
    @kareF - No DOMS = bonus! I usually find the second day after any major exertion, it is worse. But, the lack of any probably means you were very ready for that distance / pace!
    @dennie24 - Ugh! Take care of yourself!

10/1 - 3.1 miles on the 'mill; plus 5.8 miles / 20 minutes on stationary bike.
    10/2 - Had to skip run/workout for a life insurance physical (bloodwork, etc.). Then, they couldn't get me to bleed, so I'm gonna have to do it again! Grrr!
    10/3 - 11.5 miles with HM group; cool, beautiful weather!
    10/4 - waaaayy overslept!
    10/5 - not off to a good start this month; kids up half the night with illness / asthma issues
    10/6 - 4.75 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    10/7 - 4.85 miles of hills with HM group
    10/8 - 4.65 miles
    10/9 - 0. Up half the night, again! Now feeling a bit under the weather. It's too early for this stuff, isn't it?
    10/10 - 7.92 miles with HM group. Cool morning, flat loop...nice run!
    10/11 - 3.15 mile "recovery" run. Slower pace with one of my 9 year olds...love getting to run with my kids! Sore hip though.
    10/12 - 4.75 miles. Beautiful weather! Hip better, but not perfect. Fired up for 5k and HM this weekend!
    10/13 - 0. Had my repeat life insurance physical, which went fine. Then spent the whole day waiting at home for Des Moines Water Works to turn water back on. Some sort of miscommunication between dispatch and the technician...UGH!!
    10/14 - 5.16 relaxing, lovely miles with HM group as we "taper" for this weekend. Got pulled over on the way to meet them at 4:45 a.m. Just a warning...woo hoo!
    10/15 - 4.25 miles on treadmill at Trek class. Took it a little slower and flatter than usual.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day
    10/15 - 5 miles - another cool morning, I wanted to add a few miles but I got out late so had to stick to my usual run

76.1 of 120 miles

vv5islcqpgxf.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 as far as pizza we go to the mall when we can, but we started going to Venice about a year ago yummy. For a while there was Tommy's in Bridge Street he was originally from New York, but they went out of business. A sure sign people here don't know good pizza.

@kristinegift Skip wants to move to Australia after college to live. I tell her go anywhere and see everything. I'd miss the life out of her, but then again there is nothing keeping me in Alabama either.

I knew Tommy personally. His son played football in the same league that Emily cheered for her first 2 seasons down here in Alabama. Not only does Alabama not know what good pizza is, but Bridgestreet really screwed him when they started making the improvements to bring Belk in. They chopped up the area around him and moved the merry-go-round out and raised his rent all at the same time. Really hurt his business bad, and he ended up moving to Utah. He did have the best pizza around. Was so disappointed to see him go. We discovered him like maybe less than a year before he had to shut down.

Skip may need to join the military if she wants to see the world.
    Eh, I don't even like oceans. Besides finishing alongside the ocean at the NJ half in April, I've never been. ::gasp:: You guys are making my realize though that in June I can move ANYWHERE, and that's exciting. Though the Midwest is calling me back... :)

If you don't want to live here, then road trip here. Roadtrip to either run our Cotton Row 10K on Memorial Day, or run our Rocket City Marathon in December.

Or maybe we can meet in Chicago some time and do their BoA marathon. @Skippygirlsmom you don't have to run it, but road trip it to support us. :-) I heard Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN is a good one to run too. Who knows.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links again @Stoshew71! I've just been running about 1.5 years - after starting off with walking for about a year, similar to @SAfricaChick. So I still feel like a newbie. One thing I picked up from the article on mistakes that new runners make is that I really don't have much variety in my speed. I pretty much keep the same pace every run. Some days I'm faster, some slower, but it isn't intentional. Going to work on that.

Look into "fartleks" and strides (or pick-ups). 2 great ways to introduce some newby speedwork. Hills are good too for this reason. Believe it or not, I much rather race a course with some slight rolling hills then completely flat, especially HM or greater distances. Reason being, on a completely flat course you work the same ole muscles the same exact way, and they tire out faster. But the slight hills works the muscles differently, so you kind of give them a rest every time you run a different profile.
    jtarmom wrote: »
    PT said a touch of patellar tendonitis, mostly from having a weak core causing my back/hips to get out of alignment. He adjusted my back, and it feels 'better' but not 100%. I'm to concentrate on my core from now on, and my hips/glutes to keep the ITBS away, and my running form so I don't run too upright. So much to think about, I'm a little overwhelmed. And where to find the time to do all these exercises AND run at the same time? It's becoming my second job. Could be worse - at least he said I could run as long as it didn't hurt. :)

Sounds like good news. It can be overwhelming. With form, just work on a few things at a time. And go slow (pacewise). I really think the "loose change" way of running will help a lot in your case.
    I am not sure what running "too upright" means, unless he means a slight bend forward in the ankles. Otherwise, everything else is supposed to be upright and straight.
    kareF wrote: »
    I ran 10km yesterday for the first time and I feel fine.. no muscles soreness etc .. Is that normal or is DOMS lurking around the corner? lol

I will stretch today just in case, but was wondering if running slow had anything to do with it? I know that I felt great while running and the minute I stopped my legs wanted to give way (It took me 1:26) so I was expecting something today...

Happy that I'm not of course.. Just surprised!

YES!!!!!! Running slow is a big reason why you don't feel as sore. I always feel very sore the day after speed day. Slow days and recovery days especially, the next day I actually feel refreshed.

That is why 100% easy running when building mileage. 80/20 Rule once you reach your peak mileage. (80% easy running in terms of weekly miles - 20% hard workout).

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-web-exclusive/train-at-the-right-intensity-ratio

dennie24 wrote: »
    Leave it to me to have a very nice run this morning just to go to the grocery store and sprain my ankle. Blah! It's pretty sore so I don't know how long I will have to rest it. At least I didn't break anything I guess.

Oh no, I am so sorry. rest up!
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I can't imagine how little you know in your first year of running to even think of that- I'm just at a point where I would vaguely consider it- and even then- the sheer volume of training I'm not sure I'm prepared for mentally.

Running the actual marathon is the easy part. The weeks of training that lead up to it that is the hard part. And there is a time commitment too.

Elise4270 wrote: »
    We lived in Delaware for a few years. I never thought it could be so humid and hot. @Stoshew71 your so right about the heat training. I got my yearly blood results back this week, and I'm very pleased with the results. I embraced today's quick 91° evening run.

Awesome!!!

suzu_2 wrote: »
    New to the group and new to running this year (found a great C to 5K), so just set my goal for 30 this month to see how I do. So far so good. Weather still decent here, so trying to get m time in regularly.
    exercise.png

Welcome!!!!

Pretty picture of where you run @MamaMollyT
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Hit by a nasty sore throat, so ended up taking my first rest day of the month yesterday. Was feeling better today so ended up doing a few runs. Noticed my weight had crept up a few pounds, and is about 5lb above my target for next month's half marathon, so I'll need to watch my consumption the next few weeks as I'd like to shave off 1lb/week for it, then another 10lb (at 1lb/week) for my January marathon. They say an optimal BMI for marathoners is about 19.8, so in theory for peak performance I should lose about 25lb (vs. 15lb). Still, I've been building a lot of upper body muscle which I don't want to lose, so I'll play it by ear based on if I have a shot at a BQ in 2016 vs. when I age up to the 40-44 group in 2017, and go from there.

Sorry about the throat. Glad you're feeling better. Good luck with the BQ. I am hoping I can do it in December. I am so borderline I think. We'll see.

• Stoshew71
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for October

10/1 6.6 miles - 6.6
    10/2 6.75 miles - 13.35
    10/3 22.1 miles - 35.45
    10/4 REST DAY
    10/5 10.75 miles - 46.2
    10/6 10.5 miles - 56.7
    10/7 6.6 miles - 63.3
    10/8 10 miles - 73.3
    10/9 6.75 miles - 80.05
    10/10 3.88 miles - 83.93 <<< Warrior Dash
    10/11 REST DAY
    10/12 10.25 miles - 94.18
    10/13 10.5 miles - 104.68
    10/14 6.75 miles - 111.43
    10/15 10.5 miles - 121.93

exercise.png

Panera Pounders Thursday grp run. Although, no one wanted to keep up with me today, so a solo run.

10.5 miles total (1:25:17)
    Tempo for 3 miles, then (kinda) steady state the next 3 then strides 8x 30 seconds and a cool down.
    Warm-up of 1.5 miles in 13:16 (8:48 pace)
    Then the next 9 mi splits: 1: 7:00 2: 7:11 3: 7:12 4: 8:00 5: 7:42 6: 7:39 7: 8:10 8: 9:11 9: 9:52 (1:12:01 / 8:00 OA pace)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber wait a week? Lol! Ya, but it was the advice of a P.A. I'm not sure I gotta listen to a P.A. (sorry if anyone's a P.A. It's not personal, I'm just stubborn).

I'll see my reg doc next week, may hit my chiro up, he's pretty good. Hurts pretty good today...
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @shanaber wait a week? Lol! Ya, but it was the advice of a P.A. I'm not sure I gotta listen to a P.A. (sorry if anyone's a P.A. It's not personal, I'm just stubborn).

I'll see my reg doc next week, may hit my chiro up, he's pretty good. Hurts pretty good today...

d3032c1be98ea8a564d5abf2c1deb2f5.jpg

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

d3032c1be98ea8a564d5abf2c1deb2f5.jpg

Yup.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Today I am seriously feeling that rowing I did on Tuesday and my long run yesterday. Today is a yoga day!
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Date Day Miles MTD
    1-Oct Thu 5.58 5.58
    2-Oct Fri 5.46 11.04
    3-Oct Sat 4.08 15.12
    5-Oct Mon 4.25 19.37
    6-Oct Tue 5.12 24.49
    7-Oct Wed 5.0 29.49
    8-Oct Thu 3.48 32.97
    11-Oct Sun 1.79 34.76
    12-Oct Mon 6.15 40.91
    13-Oct Tue 5.08 45.99
    15-Oct Thu 4.87 50.86

Target for October: 100 miles
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71
    Believe it or not, I much rather race a course with some slight rolling hills then completely flat, especially HM or greater distances. Reason being, on a completely flat course you work the same ole muscles the same exact way, and they tire out faster. But the slight hills works the muscles differently, so you kind of give them a rest every time you run a different profile.

yeppers- I really like running the canals in my area because they have some give and take.
    Running the actual marathon is the easy part. The weeks of training that lead up to it that is the hard part. And there is a time commitment too.
    also- this- very much this. it's such a commitment- I know I couldn't do it- I was about over my half training 8-9 weeks in- and that was only for a half!!!
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Week 6 day 3 complete.

First 22 min run! I didn't die!

MTD 28.1
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Last night my boyfriend and I did our weekly run to the local brewery. I was looking forward to the shorter run since I've been experiencing some pain in my right leg. I've been stretching and icing and am going to attempt 5 miles later today and see how I do. If it starts to really bug me I'll slow down and take a couple more days to rest.

10/01: 4.34
    10/04: 4.92
    10/06: 4.96
    10/08: 1.69
    10/10: 4.78
    10/12: 5.12
    10/14: 1.65

exercise.png